This Potential Transfer Target Too Expensive For Magpies

Newcastle boss Rafa Benitez is keen to sign a full-back this summer and Newcastle have been linked with a number of right-backs.

Southampton left-back has given an interview in the Mail today, and he has been linked with a possible move to Newcastle this summer.

But given his transfer price is reported to be £25M there’s no way Rafa is going to spend money on a left-back, given the much-improved form of local lad Paul Dummett.

If Rafa is to spend £25M or more on a player then let that be on a top  striker – that’s our real need this summer.

Benitez will know all about Bertrand from his time at Chelsea in the 2012-2013 season, and Bertrand got a lot of playing time in early 2013 after first choice Ashley Cole had been injured.

28-year-old Saints left-back Ryan Bertrand

Manchester City, Spurs, and the hugely ambitious Wolves are the other Premier League clubs interested in the left-back.

These are the final three sentences of his lengthy interview in the Mail today, and it’s about clubs being interested in signing him:

“There is paper-talk. It is flattering but it is not the reality. I am a Southampton player.”

“This summer, I will be watching the World Cup and cheering on the England team. But I will be working on myself, getting fitter.”

“I want to prove my competitive side, go out and show again I am up there with the best.”

Right-back has to be the priority at Newcastle this summer with Rafa keen to bring in a player who can challenge DeAndre Yedlin for the starting position.

At left back we can always play Ciaran Clark at left back should Paul Dummett be injured.

In fact, left-back may be Clark’s best chance for a first team starting position next season.

• Lindisfarne

Jun 9, 2018 at 1:04 PM

Too expensive or unwilling?

• hibbit

Jun 9, 2018 at 1:19 PM

more important priorities than a £25m LB i think.

• Sherlock

Jun 9, 2018 at 1:21 PM

I like the villa lad kodja. Surely within our budget considering the position.

• Jib

Jun 9, 2018 at 1:45 PM

This is the Spanish U21 team that beat N Ireland 5 – 3
    According to what I’m being told over here in Spain
    Adama Traoré to NUFC is a done deal

Hopefully we’ll see them together in the black and white of the Toon
    rather than the red of Spain next season

• Bobbybee

Jun 9, 2018 at 1:47 PM

Trying to think of a better way to explain how I see it. There can be two outcomes. Either Rafa gets what he wants and we progress, or he doesn’t and Ashley messes it up again.
    Either outcome is possible. Historically, Ashley will mess it up, as he’s shown his capabilities along that track. He does messing up really well. In fact, he’s a master at it. So naturally people are inclined to see that outcome.
    The difference now is he has a world class coach willing and ready to progress the club further than at any time in the last ten years.
    What does he do? Does he let Rafa loose with the club and let him go for it, or does he bottle it and refer to type?
    The reality is that it can go either way. If you were a betting man, messing up is probably favourite because his record is so bad. I get that. Hard to argue against it, if it wasn’t for Rafa.
    Rafa gets on with Ashley. He’s said so more than once and so there’s a chance he could win this because it’s the right thing to do and it makes financial as well as sporting sense. Only an idiot would choose to go against that.
    The problem being Ashley is an idiot. 🙂 So again, it’s left hanging.
    Right now nobody is wrong and nobody is right and it will stay like that until a decision is made either way. We can guess and predict all we want, but one thing Ashley can be is unpredictable. He’s a law unto himself and quite capable of pressing the self destruct button.
    The question is, what will he do this time? The truth is, nobody knows.
    Allegedly he’s told Penfold to sort out Rafa’s contract. Sound simple. Agree to what he wants and off we go. Sadly nothing is that simple.
    So right now we’re in limbo. Waiting on an answer. I half expect Ashley to mess it up, but the optimist in me says “even he can’t be that stupid.”
    And so I sit and wait and see. If he messes up I know I’m going to be seriously stressed out, so I’m not prepared to let myself get stressed until I know for sure, because I might get stressed over nothing.
    I hope that makes sense! 🙂

• Jib

Jun 9, 2018 at 1:55 PM

REVERT to type
    P:

• Jib

Jun 9, 2018 at 1:56 PM

😛 even

• Jib

Jun 9, 2018 at 1:57 PM

This draught Estrella is lush
    😀

• posada

Jun 9, 2018 at 1:59 PM

Bobby
    Pleased you enjoyed the day with your mates.
    Know what you mean about beer.
    It can spoil a good time. I can eat or drink, but can’t enjoy both together for some reason.
    Always better when you have worked for it. Beer or food that is.
    Don’t stop until you have to. Enjoy every day.

• Bobbybee

Jun 9, 2018 at 2:05 PM

Jib, I know! 🙂 Must have spelt it wrong accidentally and the spellcheck done the rest. Hey ho, never said I was perfect! 🙂

• lesh

Jun 9, 2018 at 2:08 PM

Shire, Hibbitt, Dubai

Jib’s offered a ‘done deal’ story for Traore.

You won’t have a go at him if it turns out not to be so will you?

• Bobbybee

Jun 9, 2018 at 2:13 PM

Nice one posada. We all have our own little vices 😉

• lochinvar

Jun 9, 2018 at 2:32 PM

Surely we have full back cover in the rapidly developing Kevin Mbabu. If Man Utd are showing interest then there’s no reason he can’t return to the Premier League with Newcastle United. No need to burn £20m on a Southampton player. £20m buys half of a half decent striker.

• Mag52

Jun 9, 2018 at 2:39 PM

AO.

• Mag52

Jun 9, 2018 at 2:40 PM

Clark and Dummett, both on the books, is good news as each can play if necessary as LB and CB.

• Munster Mag

Jun 9, 2018 at 2:49 PM

Jib with all due respect Rafa was gone to sociedad last time u were drinking in spain

• Munster Mag

Jun 9, 2018 at 2:50 PM

I thought mbabu was gone??

• Spoof

Jun 9, 2018 at 3:05 PM

I’m a bit concened about our continued link with Martin Skrtel, if we do sign him then i fear we may lose either Lascellas or Lejeurne which would be a shame as i rate both of them very highly, I doubt he would be bought as a 4th choice replacing Mbemba.

• jane

Jun 9, 2018 at 3:06 PM

had a good season..

“He was part of the Young Boys squad that won the 2017-18 Swiss Super League, their first league title for 32 years.”

• jazzyp

Jun 9, 2018 at 3:11 PM

Lesh

Stop with ya mischief

• Munster Mag

Jun 9, 2018 at 3:19 PM

Mag, Clark is a v limited full back imo

• Mag52

Jun 9, 2018 at 8:47 PM

Munster my old fellow Pardew sympathiser, how do you see next season panning out ?