While Other Promoted Clubs Sign Managers To New Deals – Newcastle Drag Their Feet

Huddersfield Town have signed promising new manager David Wagner to a new improved deal to keep him at the Terriers.

Wagner had one year left on his current contract and he has now signed to stay at Huddersfield for the next three years.

Leicester City and Chelsea were two Premier League clubs interested in signing the talented 46-year-old German-born coach.

Manager Rafa Benitez – waiting on Newcastle

Wagner has been faithful to the Terriers and had this to say after signing his new deal:

“We still have a lot of work to do as we adapt to life in the Premier League, but this club and its people have the ambition, desire, and attitude to take this challenge on.”

Unfortunately, that seems like a lot more ambition, desire and attitude than owner Mike Ashley has for Newcastle.

59-year-old Brighton and former Newcastle manager Chris Hughton signed a new deal last month that will keep him at the Seagulls for the next three years.

Brighton, Huddersfield, and Newcastle all did exceptionally well in the Premier League and all three clubs survived after being promoted from the Championship last year.

And yet only 58-year-old Rafa Benitez remains unsigned to a new deal at Newcastle with only one season left on his three-year contract.

Why Mike Ashley always creates these self-inflicted crises at Newcastle, we have no idea, and Rafa has already said he wants to stay on Tyneside long term.

Just like Brighton and Huddersfield have shown there’s no need to have drama surrounding the manager and Rafa needs to be signed up as soon as possible.

But of course this is Newcastle United owned by Mike Ashley and nothing ever seems easy.

Give Rafa what he wants and don’t allow this thing to drag on for weeks or even months.

It’s not necessary.

• Spoof

Jun 12, 2018 at 10:32 AM

Andrewsneill

£5m each, I don’t know but I would expect it to be much more than that seeing as he would be a free agent, and how many agents would he have !

As you say it would still be cheaper than having to pay a fee but would Ashley look at the total cost and say it’s a good deal or would he look at the inflated agent fees and high wage and then perish at the thought of paying it, don’t forget other clubs would be interested so it could become an auction where the highest wage payer/agent fee payer wins, and as we know Ashley doesn’t like auctions, unless of course he’s the seller, then he loves them, bet he’s licking his lips at the future Lascelles auction, whether that be this summer or next I don’t know but Ashley will still be licking his lips in anticipation.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 12, 2018 at 10:35 AM

“However, this thing could drag on in the courts for some time with no quick decision on the cases likely”
    Suit Churnley just fine then.

• ShirebrookToon

Jun 12, 2018 at 10:46 AM

Smileypooemoji

• ShirebrookToon

Jun 12, 2018 at 10:53 AM

No news is good news!

Could be worse………..

Could be a mackem 😳

• martoon

Jun 12, 2018 at 11:04 AM

Tsunki from earlier – I did read the full page so you didn’t have to explain it to me but thanks anyway. I wasn’t having a pop at you but just wondering why you both did the same thing and Jib got dogs abuse for it and you weren’t even mentioned?

• ShirebrookToon

Jun 12, 2018 at 11:06 AM

When’s season ticket renewals going on sale?

Anybody know?

• Tsunki

Jun 12, 2018 at 11:06 AM

Bad fist bust up costs big club most so nufc must get best bid to bag bas dost fast.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jun 12, 2018 at 11:13 AM

Non of these players at Sporting will get a free transfer because of a training ground incident. Imagine what kind of precedence that would set!

…or dodgy manure by other teams when they want a player that can’t have…

All we can hope for is a loan deal or a transfer price that correspond to the players real value…

• Munster Mag

Jun 12, 2018 at 11:16 AM

I wonder if a negative bombshell is on the way 🙁

• lesh

Jun 12, 2018 at 11:23 AM

Repost

Dubai

But will the overseas TV money numbers register with Ashley? Simple folk like you or I can see that avoiding the lower end of the table makes sense but will Ashley – especially when he appears to be at loggerheads with Rafa and won’t want to give any ground and be prepared take the hit?

But he should also be able to evaluate the risks and see the sense in back Rafa to maximise income – but will he?

• lesh

Jun 12, 2018 at 11:26 AM

Maroon

Jib broke the blog on two separate occasions! First time could be excusable but to do it a second time knowing the impact of his childish behaviour is not excusable.

• jazzyp

Jun 12, 2018 at 11:28 AM

Shirebrook
    Are ya renewing mate??

• lesh

Jun 12, 2018 at 11:30 AM

martoon

Have a look-back and you’ll see that Tsunki was mentioned I’m despatches. I don’t even think he could offer a defence for his actions – but his was a ‘first offence’ whereas….

• lesh

Jun 12, 2018 at 11:34 AM

Martoon

Sorry about the ‘Maroon’ earlier – it’s the phone’s fault.

And (Tsunki) was mentioned IN despatches

Bally autocorrect. :/

• Tsunki

Jun 12, 2018 at 11:34 AM

Honestly I’m not offering any defence because I’m not sorry, it served a constructive purpose, and it was no big deal. And now i will be moving on thanks. 🙂 If you want me, I will be over…there…

• Tsunki

Jun 12, 2018 at 11:36 AM

No it’s ok, I don’t want thanks, just knowing I’ve contributed to the improvement of the blog layout is reward enough. No, no really it was nothing. 😉

• Tsunki

Jun 12, 2018 at 11:37 AM

And he’s not sorry about the “maroon ” thing he did it on purpose. Deserves dogs abuse for that I think. 😀

• DubaiMicky

Jun 12, 2018 at 11:43 AM

lesh, I think Ashley will think why pay out a further £30m on a player (including fees/wages etc) to possibly finish one place higher and bag a further £8m. It doesn’t make sense to him.

• SuperShearer

Jun 12, 2018 at 11:43 AM

Just not convinced by this. I suspect, and could be wrong, that the deal is essentially all in place. But Rafa has turned around and said “I’ll sign at the end of the transfer window OR when you’ve shown you’re able to keep to your promises on buying the players I want” – why would Rafa sign a contract now only for MA to do what he always does and not back him? It doesn’t make sense. So Rafa holds all the cards and MA will either back him or, as is more likely, take a gamble of not backing Rafa. Rafa then sees out the last remaining year of his contract before riding into the sunset as the Toon Army wave goodbye before turning on MA, horde of zombies style.

• Jib

Jun 12, 2018 at 11:57 AM

lesh
    it make more sense to submit a bid to Porto which’ll be keen to take
    something and buy the likes of Bas Dost in the usual way?
    Bas Dost plays for Sporting Lisbon
    Oporto (the home of Porto) is 300 kilometres away

DOH !!!!!!!!

• Hail Wor Ashley

Jun 12, 2018 at 12:13 PM

Huddersfield are still going down with Cardiff and 1 other next season, no matter how early they sign ed their manager up.

• martoon

Jun 12, 2018 at 12:22 PM

Anyway to football – not often I find myself agreeing with Jesper but I think he is right @8. No matter what happened at Sporting Lisbon you can’t set a precedence that allows players to cancel their own contracts. Otherwise every time a player wants to leave a club he can hire a sleazeball lawyer to make a case for him to cancel his contract and just leave!

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jun 12, 2018 at 12:25 PM

Shirebrook
    I was in the ticket office this morning and…
    Ticket renewals will go on-line this week as the club are going paperless.
    You can either renew on-line or go into the ticket office at the end of the week

The club website has a page where you can sign up with your supporter no. etc., to do it on-line.

There will be no letters in the post – only a reminder when the renewal window is coming to a end and the seats will go on-line to the general public

Hope this helps

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jun 12, 2018 at 12:30 PM

Shirebrook
    PS
    for student discounts – you have to pay the full amount (my son is a student) – then go to the ticket office with your student card and a signed/stamped letter from Uni to make sure you are a student and you will be re-inbursed

• martoon

Jun 12, 2018 at 12:51 PM

Charlie – I presume if you are on the DD system you don’t have to do anything?

• ShirebrookToon

Jun 12, 2018 at 12:56 PM

Charlie,

Cheers for that mate.

Martoon

I paid by direct debit last season

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jun 12, 2018 at 12:59 PM

Martoon
    Not sure as I am not on a direct debit I just pay yearly
    Are you on a year by year season ticket – and have a direct debit – I would imagine you will get a reminder like a magazine/software subscription.

And most of the DD nowadays you don’t have to do anything unless you want to opt out – worth contacting the ticket office tho – 0844 372 1892

• ShirebrookToon

Jun 12, 2018 at 12:59 PM

Wonder if we see any signings this week then to boost season ticket renewals 😆

• lochinvar

Jun 12, 2018 at 1:01 PM

KevinLee@5(previous)
    another Murphy, next pls

Too late ….on his way to Cardiff for £10m

• lochinvar

Jun 12, 2018 at 1:02 PM

that’s Josh I’m referring to. unless there are any more Murphy’s out there. Might be a few In Ireland.

• Jib

Jun 12, 2018 at 1:04 PM

ShirebrookToon
    boost season ticket renewals

That could be why Rafa’s signing of a new
    contract is being held back

• crawfordm

Jun 12, 2018 at 1:15 PM

ZZZZ! how many times is this going to get re -gurgitated under a different heading. Come on Ed post something positive !!!

• Jib

Jun 12, 2018 at 1:17 PM

crawfordm
    I’m pleased you didn’t persist with those ZZZZZ’s
    😛

• martoon

Jun 12, 2018 at 1:17 PM

Charlie @27 – I’m on the 10 year scheme and normally it renews automatically – I was just thinking with them going paperless and new data protection laws etc.you might need to do something. Probably not though as I’m sure I’d have seen something about it on the official site or nufc.com if it was necessary – just checking!

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jun 12, 2018 at 1:31 PM

Martoon
    You should be fine – always worth checking tho
    can’t be many years left on the deal?

• lochinvar

Jun 12, 2018 at 1:31 PM

The club have already had a good few months of our two season ticket DD payments for next season so under the new Data Protection laws I hereby give Mike Ashley permission to spend our contribution on securing the signing of Das Bost.

How’s that for reckless.

• Tsunki

Jun 12, 2018 at 2:01 PM

Crawfordm – perhaps you should hunt elsewhere for your cutting edge journalism – if you hadn’t been made aware before this is a blog. A chat forum. People are talking. You’re not helping by only commenting to criticise the admin.

• RobLeenio

Jun 12, 2018 at 2:03 PM

Tsunki, it amazes me when you see contributors post stuff like that – like Ed is in control of NUFC’s destiny and can just make news happen.

“Post something positive” – I dare say he will when there is something positive to post….

• Tsunki

Jun 12, 2018 at 2:04 PM

On the idea of being unreasonable for a player to apply to cancel his contract, I would think the threat and actioning of physical assault which could possibly lead to the curtailment of his career or even worse, would be an exceptional and worthy exit contingency. There are limits to being able to insist on a contract being fulfilled, and I should think personal threat would be in the fine print somewhere.