Newcastle Test – Ashley Needs To Be Bold And Sign Kenedy

Even though Chelsea manager Antonio Conte may yet be replaced as the manager, the Blues are pushing ahead with their transfers for the summer.

It looks like several new players will be coming in, and the Chronicle are reporting that Chelsea will likely have to sell some of their many fringe players to help fund the new players coming in.

It looks very likely according to the Chronicle that Robert Kenedy will be available this summer at around £20M.

Rafa has said before that he would like to sign Kenedy on loan for the season with an option to buy the player as a clause in the loan contract.

Rafa Benitez and Kenedy – against Southampton when Brazilian scored two goals

That was something he wasn’t able to do when Kenedy arrived at the club last January on loan.

Kenedy was brilliant for us on the left wing this year, and he seemed to love his time.

It would be terrific if Newcastle could sign the player outright this summer and break out transfer record of  £17M we paid Real Madrid for Michael Owen way back in 2005 – two years before iPhones were available.

But if we can get a loan deal, that may be better and reduce the costs this summer.

But if we can get him on loan is the big question.

Chelsea seem to want to sell him, and if that’s the case, then Mike Ashley should back Rafa and sign the 22-year-old Brazilian.

It’s something like this that Rafa is looking for from Mike Ashley.

The owner must demonstrate he wants to build a top team and not just worry about the finances of the club and refuse to pay out big bucks for top players.

Rafa’s top target has to be a striker this summer, and yes, that will take some money to get a top striker  in.

But surely Kenedy is the second top target for the summer after we have already signed goalkeeper Martin Dubravka.

Kenedy loved his time at Newcastle and has already said he would be keen to return and the Newcastle fans love the youngster.

If Rafa is to stay at the club long-term Newcastle will have to show they can be bold and ambitious in the transfer market – something we have never been since Mike Ashley bought the club.

But it’s not too late to change that.

• Veltman

Jun 13, 2018 at 9:39 AM

Completely agree with martoon.The timing was bizzare but happy with that appointment as Real Madrid is my second team.;P

• RobLeenio

Jun 13, 2018 at 9:50 AM

A loan with an option to buy seems like an ideal option. Pay a loan fee of, say, £4m, with an agreed fee of £20m at the end of the season, the £4m to be deducted from the purchase fee should the option be taken up.

This gives Ashley the flexibility to not sign him if Rafa leaves, gives Rafa the ability to keep him long-term if he’s still here and gives Kenedy the ability to walk away if Rafa leaves.

Also, if we don’t take up the option to buy, Chelsea will likely have a player with a higher value than currently to sell.

Win win for everyone, surely.

• Jib

Jun 13, 2018 at 9:52 AM

Only problem with that is Chelsea have said they want to
    sell him not loan him again.

• OneAlanShearer

Jun 13, 2018 at 9:54 AM

Rob- as long as we had a cast iron buy clause at the end of the loan I’d do it.

The daft thing is until we get him or someone as good we are still where we were when the season started if you ignore Slimani.

I’m hoping rafa has lots of quality players lined up and we start the season with the 22 he trusts…the idea of rafa with a competitive squad is mouth watering.

I’m trying to go with the no news is good news angle for now

• martoon

Jun 13, 2018 at 9:56 AM

Veltman – I’m pleased you agree even if you do think I’m weird 😉 On topic I wasn’t convinced by Kenedy – he was great in his first few games but seemed less effective in the last few games. He seemed to start running down blind alleys a lot although the defensive side of his game is great – quite surprising for a Brazilian! Another loan would be great but breaking the club transfer record – I’m not so sure?

• Spoof

Jun 13, 2018 at 10:00 AM

£20m may well break our transfer record but even so in today’s market it isn’t really a huge amount of money, 2/3 good seasons and would be approaching his prime with a possibility that his value could treble, come on Ashley surprise us all and pay the asking price.

• Geordie-john

Jun 13, 2018 at 10:02 AM

Haway Ashley, If you buy Kenedy I will not call you GREEDY COCK-ney anymore. Scouts honour !

• Grafton83

Jun 13, 2018 at 10:07 AM

I don’t think Kenedy is for sale. Last I heard from Chelsea was that they wanted to keep him, they seemed pretty certain. I think another loan is possible but not with an option to buy.

• RobLeenio

Jun 13, 2018 at 10:13 AM

Jib

Jun 13, 2018 at 9:52 AM

Only problem with that is Chelsea have said they want to
    sell him not loan him again.

Grafton83

Jun 13, 2018 at 10:07 AM

>:D

• RobLeenio

Jun 13, 2018 at 10:14 AM

Ha, could you get two such contradictory statements anywhere but on here?

Ah, it’s all fluff and speculation – we’re all desperate for something concrete

• Grafton83

Jun 13, 2018 at 10:17 AM

Well I don’t read all the news or believe it. All I know is that the Chelsea staff almost laughed at me when I asked if they thought we could buy him, dismissed the idea completely. That was only a few weeks ago, as far as I know nothing has changed.

• BANDWBURNABY

Jun 13, 2018 at 4:26 PM

The only thing I want fatty to sign is the papers confirming the sale of club to someone with Raffas ambition. The only ambition he has at the moment is to increase his bank balance & spend as little as possible to ensure survival in E.P.L. next year