Report – Rafa To Get Only A Modest Transfer Budget – That Could Be A Problem


The Chronicle are currently conducting a Q&A with their readers today, with Lee Ryder answering the question, and there’s some decent information being revealed.

One is the Chronicle reporters think that Rafa now knows what his transfer budget is for the summer – it’s not good news and it’s said to be only a “modest” amount.

It’s said to be close to what Rafa had to spend last year, and Newcastle’s Lee Charnley has indicated that was over £40M net so there must have been some agents’ fees in there.

Our estimate of net spend last summer was around £20M.

In any case, Rafa wasn’t happy with that amount last summer, and since we have earned £123M from the Premier League, he’s not likely to be a happy man.

Rafa Benitez – unlikely to be happy with “modest” transfer budget

The difference this year is that Rafa does have a few players who should bring in some money so he should have more to spend overall than last year.

That amount could be as much as £40M but only if we sell both Mitrovic and Gayle – two of our strikers.

But it’s looking like the net spend this year could again be minimal.

The exact amount he will get will not be revealed publicly, but estimates have been around £50M, and it’s supposed to be close to last year; Charnley said that was something a little over £40M.

Rafa complained he couldn’t even compete with Brighton and Huddersfield last summer and that could be the same this summer.

Rafa also wants his transfer dealings completed early in the summer, but it didn’t turn out the way Rafa wanted last summer with Newcastle dropping the ball on several potential deals.

We should be hearing something over the next week or two of some new arrivals coming to Newcastle.

But there’s a lot of hope in that statement.

Comments welcome.


4 comments so far

  • OneAlanShearer

    Jun 13, 2018 at 1:13 PM

    Comment #1

    I don’t think it’s any surprise if the budget us somewhere between 40 and 50 million plus player sales. I just hope we keep the key players and build on them rather than having to effectively start again on already strong players such as lascelles and Lejeune.

    I’d say our starting xi needs 4 key players with strengthening most positions beneath that eith decent competition in every position.

    Right back, number 10, left winger and striker should be the priority.

    6
  • Pottsclock

    Jun 13, 2018 at 1:21 PM

    Comment #2

    To be honest, why would the Chronicle have any idea of what has been discussed between Rafa and Charnley?
    This to me is just guess work again.

    As long as we don’t have to sell key players and can bring in a few good ones in the key positions, then I won’t be disappointed. The issue we had last year – as evidenced by the wage bill – was that we have a lot of dead or inappropriate wood still at the club that needs to be cleared. How players such as Colback can show their face in public is beyond me.

    5
  • neverwin

    Jun 13, 2018 at 1:36 PM

    Comment #3

    the Chronicle.
    What do that inept bunch led by “know nowt” Ryder ever get right.They are even worse than Alan Oliver and that takes some doing.
    They are earning good money for drivel.
    To think they have elder journalist John Gibson there to learn from.

    They are running a Q and A My advice take no notice.
    Can anyone ever remember this lot getting a Scoop or Exclusive.

    7
  • Phil K

    Jun 14, 2018 at 8:51 AM

    Comment #4

    Alan Oliver….the one over-riding memory of Oliver was him grovelling and Uriah-Heeping up a storm and arse-licking the other Oliver Oliver Holt on the eve of FA Cup Final with Arsenal. It was embarrassing whatever Holt said Oliver agreed with and arse-licked, especially about Shearer’s “kick” on Lennon.
    Bob Cass was clearly revolted with Oliver at the same discussion and just about said so

    0

You must log in to post a comment.