Rafa Still Interested In This Chelsea Midfielder – But His Future Is Uncertain

Newcastle have been interested in 22-year-old Chelsea midfielder Ruben Loftus-Cheek for more than 18 months now, and Rafa Benitez rates the midfielder.

The Chronicle is reporting today that Newcastle are continuing to monitor his position at Chelsea and we could even go after a season-long loan move for him.

But that will have to be after the World Cup with the Chelsea player part of England’s World Cup squad in Russia.

Loftus-Cheek was on loan at Crystal Palace last season, and he did well at the London club, and Chelsea will need to decide fairly soon what the long-term future holds for the player at the Blues.

22-year-old Chelsea midfielder Ruben Loftus-Cheek

This is what Loftus-Cheek has said about his career in the short-term:

“I’m not thinking about going on loan again too much right now. I’m trying to focus on this summer and what’s to come.”

“This tournament is too big to be overlooking and not giving my full focus.”

“Right now my mind is on that.” “But I have to go back to Chelsea for pre-season anyway, that is where I will be after the World Cup.”

“So I will decide when that time comes.” “I’m not too worried about the future.” “It will get sorted.”

“But I’m focused on training well now and looking to get as fit as possible for the World Cup.”

Ruben Loftus-Cheek could become a top player in the future but as usual, Newcastle don’t seem to have the money or the ambition to try to sign this player permanently.

That may not change until owner Mike Ashley puts the club up for sale and really wants to sell.

That’s not what he’s done three times now – put the club up for sale with no real interest in selling.

Or so it seems.

What do you think?

• jazzyp

Jun 16, 2018 at 1:27 PM

All these linked players give us hope of ambition,But as of yet nothing is matched by the Current regime

• lochinvar

Jun 16, 2018 at 1:28 PM

Well the Loftus-Cheek story is clearly designed by the hacks to try to keep paper sales going for the duration of England’s stay in the World Cup. Another non story. What do you think Elvis ? Really ?

• bettyswallocks

Jun 16, 2018 at 1:28 PM

Apparently the scouts will be out in force tonight to check out some of the Peruvian players. Some real gems hidden in there by all accounts.

The word on the street in Peru is that they are expecting the team to make the latter stages of the tournament, starting with inflicting a heavy defeat on a very poor predictable Denmark .

• Bambams

Jun 16, 2018 at 1:30 PM

Optimistic Panda

I was just about to post.

Yes it’s a good read, very intrigued about the suggested innovative way of increasing the stadium capacity.

• DubaiMicky

Jun 16, 2018 at 1:31 PM

Optimistic, that’s basically the transcript of a convo me and Neil had in Goodfellas bar in Tecom, sorry Barsha Heights, not long ago.

I should be on commission.

• bettyswallocks

Jun 16, 2018 at 1:36 PM

• Tsunki

Jun 16, 2018 at 1:44 PM

Well VAR worked wonders again today. Mind I think theres more than one ref here who requires Assistance.

The helping-onto-the-toilet kind.

• Tsunki

Jun 16, 2018 at 1:46 PM

Betty – if that guy is firing that ball out I hope that bloke behind him stops it with his foot it might cause some damage!

• Tsunki

Jun 16, 2018 at 1:54 PM

No thing confusing about Ashley’s stance at all. His valuation comes from his perceived worth of the club and its ability to generate money for him and his other interests on many fronts. Buyers approaching him with a value derived from totalling assets, ticket sales, TV rights, catering, merchandise etc will always have a value in their heads lower than Mike. That’s because he is perfectly placed in the ideal position for a man with his business connections and interests. You’d have to find another very rich cheap sports brand merchandiser to find someone who gets where he’s coming from.

• Mr Funk

Jun 16, 2018 at 2:09 PM

I see Tagliafaco is playing LB for Argentina. Also see that he ended up at Ajax for £4 mil approx

• toon kk

Jun 16, 2018 at 2:16 PM

Every transfer window is the same, linked with loads of players, usually leads to disappointment.

• bettyswallocks

Jun 16, 2018 at 2:19 PM

Tsunki……….. Yes they are indeed a strange bunch.

• Tsunki

Jun 16, 2018 at 2:45 PM

Ha ha I’ve seen that before. But they do nice butter and bacon and pastries and tragic princes.

• Tsunki

Jun 16, 2018 at 2:46 PM

Finnbogason! Ha! I get to say Finnbogason!

Finnbogason I tell you!

😀

• kc2012

Jun 16, 2018 at 2:57 PM

Apparently Stoke have bid £10m for Gayle. Probably time to sell, good player but an upgrade definitely needed imo

• DubaiMicky

Jun 16, 2018 at 3:07 PM

I wonder how a 70,000 stadium would look, which stand would have to be extended (I’m thinking East), and how it could be done?

I’m sticking my neck out here and saying we’ll have a new owner in place before the season starts.

And Ashley will move to Florida for good (good riddance).

• DaveD1000

Jun 16, 2018 at 3:10 PM

Brave move Micky I flappin hope you are right!!

• TheJimBelow

Jun 16, 2018 at 3:11 PM

I wonder who this World Cup will throw out as an up-to-now hidden gem, Peruvian team is a good shout as someone mentioned.
    Always hard to judge though of course as some players just click with their national side and/or have 3 or 4 great performances on the biggest stage.
    Remember Salif Diao…

• jazzyp

Jun 16, 2018 at 3:11 PM

Kc

Surely Gayle must be worth more than 10 million mate.
    Knowing Ashley he will ask for a px deal with Crouch

• TheJimBelow

Jun 16, 2018 at 3:18 PM

Jazzyp

Was just thinking about that dude, Gayle gotta be worth around 15m to a club serious about promotion from the Championship.

I wonder if Stoke would swap Shaquiri for a goalscorer in that league?

I’m not necessarily interested in him coming to NUFC, just wondering because he’ll certainly want to stay in the PL and I don’t see where the goals are coming from for that Stoke side next season also..

• ilovetoon8788

Jun 16, 2018 at 3:21 PM

10m for gayle? Upgrade?

I understand we need to upgrade on Gayle, but knowing Ashley we’ll buy another 5m joseloo type player. Or find someone in the bargain basement.

• TheJimBelow

Jun 16, 2018 at 3:21 PM

Penalty for Argentina

• TheJimBelow

Jun 16, 2018 at 3:22 PM

Messi missed it

Dear oh dear

• martoon

Jun 16, 2018 at 3:42 PM

TheJimBelow @19 – At the Europeans there was some French player did that – I think his name was Sissoko? :mrgreen:

• Tosun A. Wobbler

Jun 16, 2018 at 3:44 PM

Tsunki….I would imagine that IF Rafa stays, and continues to progress the team the way he has done, Ashley’s asking price will periodically rise accordingly, to ensure that no one other than a mad Russian oligarch would show an interest.

• lochinvar

Jun 16, 2018 at 3:52 PM

Dubai
    When you say you want Ashley to move to Florida is it because it’s home of:

1. Kennedy space station – they might be able to put a rocket up his backside to improve transfer business ?

2. Disneyland and home of Mickey Mouse which is the way he appears to run the club ?

3. Alligators – looking for a decent meal ?

• TheJimBelow

Jun 16, 2018 at 3:53 PM

Martoon,

Lol! I think I remember him now you mention it. . .
    His club made a right killing off his Forrest Gump impression as I recall..
    :-p

• Tsunki

Jun 16, 2018 at 3:55 PM

Slight hiccup there for the land of silver.

• jazzyp

Jun 16, 2018 at 4:04 PM

Thejimbelow

Shaq coming the other way for Gayle… Yeah I would take that deal.
    Gayle did us proud in the Championship and I thank him for that ,But when we signed him I brought it up on here that I thought it was an underwhelming signing for us.
    Kennedy on loan again with a view to a permanent this time round would be a cracking addition

• kc2012

Jun 16, 2018 at 4:04 PM

Jazzyp

Yeah maybe he is worth more than that but I didn’t write the report mate. Have a look online. We are Newcastle so maybe they bid £10m but Ashley wants £10.1m so he can give Rafa the extra £100k to buy Barry Bannans twin sister and keep the £10m for his fat self, who knows

• DubaiMicky

Jun 16, 2018 at 4:12 PM

loch:-

Probably all three.

Is he retiring? Is the tax stuff better there? I don’t know.

• Tsunki

Jun 16, 2018 at 4:24 PM

Ashley moving to Florida? Maybe he just wants to see how you really run a Mickey Mouse operation?

• SPRINGY

Jun 16, 2018 at 5:57 PM

Didn’t stoke have a fairly quick rightback…cant remember his name…shaqiri is a bit of strange one….he looks half arsed at times,stroppy at other times and talented the rest of the time???