What Townsend Said About Why He Had To Leave Newcastle

If Crystal Palace are serious and want £20M for Andros Townsend, then it seems the England winger will not be arriving on Tyneside.

But in general, the news that we are bidding for him seems to have been welcomed by Newcastle fans.

Andros was one of the top players who decided to leave Newcastle when we were relegated two years ago, and his primary reason for leaving was that he wanted to play in the England team.

He just missed out on the England squad for Euro 2016 but he is not in the World Cup squad in Russia, and his England ambitions seem to have died since he left Newcastle.

Andros Townsend – in action against Aston Villa back in 2016

But the majority of Newcastle fans would welcome the winger back especially if he comes back and starts to play really well for us.

Here’s a quote from Townsend in the Chronicle today that he made in late 2016, and he talks about leaving Newcastle:

“Listen, I loved every minute of it.”

“Newcastle took me from the U21s at Spurs to playing Premier League football in front of 52,000, they got the best out of me.”

“The fans loved me, Rafa Benitez got the best out of me and it was extremely difficult to leave where you are loved, compared to a place where you are not so loved.

“I had a very productive time there, unfortunately, it was not enough to stay in the Premier League.”

“I had to think long and hard in the summer about what I wanted to do; stay and play in the Championship did not cross my mind, in the end.”

“I had to go with my head and not my heart.”

“I did not want to take a drop down, especially while the options were still there in the Premier League.”

Rafa Benitez has kept up a good relationship with the winger and was sympathetic with him wanting to leave Newcastle to keep his England options open.

But Newcastle have surged back to the big time over the last two years with the guidance of Mr. Benitez and finished in 10th place and just above Palace in the Premier League last season.

And in retrospect, Rafa thinks it could have been a mistake for Townsend to have left the Magpies.

That’s how things are at the moment, and Andros would be a good signing for us – if we can get him at a decent price.

Some fans still think badly of him leaving when we were down – but you cannot hold grudges – well not too long anyway.

🙂

Life’s far too short for that stuff.

• Graeme

Jun 16, 2018 at 9:55 AM

Townsend? Or Kennedy?? I know where I would spend £20 million if it was my choice and it wouldn’t be on Andros!!

• Optimistic Panda

Jun 16, 2018 at 9:58 AM

He didn’t have to leave, it’s not like Palace were pulling up trees trying to get in Europe or the Champions league.

Poor choice by him and he knows it.

Kennedy is the better player anyways.

• count

Jun 16, 2018 at 10:05 AM

He’s an absolute twuñt. Will be very annoyed not to mention surprised if we get him back.

• lesh

Jun 16, 2018 at 10:16 AM

When we look at the number and names of players we’re reportedly interested in signing and consider that it’s the time of year for renewing or taking out season tickets it’ll be interesting to see how it all pans out.

In years gone by, fans were used to seeing such speculation but there is a difference from the days of Shepherd and Hall – we actually did sign players who could take the club forward and relative on-field success sweetened the pill that were hikes in ST prices.

The Mag seems to have summed things up…..

But, what have fans been rewarded with under Ashley when ticket prices were supposedly pegged? Not a lot other than relegations and near misses and what will probably turn out to be a three year period of unfulfilled hope under Rafa.

So, rather than seeing players come in to build on the hope that Rafa’s brought to the club we’re seeing him being eased out of the door.

• RUNAWAY777

Jun 16, 2018 at 10:18 AM

Ashley will not pay 20 million why would, he would not pay 13 or 14 million last January so no why he will pay 20 million this time all pie in the sky.

• magscar

Jun 16, 2018 at 10:19 AM

Fom the Chronicle when he left

“He told Palace’s website: “First and foremost it was an extremely difficult decision to leave. I enjoyed my time at Newcastle.

“I was loved by the fans and the manager was getting the best out of me, but at the end of the day I needed Premier League football at this stage in my career.

“So then it was sitting down and finding the right club for me and I think that was the easiest decision out of the lot of them.”

Townsend also feels that Alan Pardew will improve his career.

He said: “You only have to look at the wingers that the club have got and how the manger has got the best out of them.

“Hopefully he can take my game to another level and build on the great start to the season they had last year.” ”

Newcastle and Rafa where a career has been resurrected or Palace and Pardew (who will improve his career) – says it all really – no thanks especially at £20M or more. You’ve made your bed now lie in it

• magic hat

Jun 16, 2018 at 10:33 AM

I’d rate Townsend and Kennedy equal, however Townsend isn’t as one footed so is more versatile he is also English so comes at a premium. Kennedy however is way more likely to improve so it’s a close call. I’m not surprised that they are valued close to each other based on this. Either is an improvement on Murphy arrons and atsu. Although I think both Murphy and arrons can improve but only with game time.

• magic hat

Jun 16, 2018 at 10:36 AM

Also i’m Still shocked we are reportedly going after a right back acording to reports. Surely it should be a left back as we have yed sterry and manquillo at rightback And only dummet and lassar at leftback