Report – Rafa Benitez Urging Mike Ashley To Buy Robert Kenedy

There’s an article in the Chronicle today that Rafa Benitez is trying to get Mike Ashley to pay out the requisite fee to get Robert Kenedy to Newcastle this summer.

Kenedy was outstanding for us this year, and if we can sign him permanently, it would be considered a tremendous acquisition by Newcastle fans.

Rafa is keen to bring Kenedy back to Newcastle, and if we cannot pay out the full £20M this summer, then Rafa wants to structure a deal that’s acceptable to Chelsea.

Maybe paying the fee over three years – something other clubs regularly do in the Premier League.

Kenedy is said to be keen to return to St James’ Park next season if he has no future at Chelsea – which looks to be the case.

Kenedy with father figure Rafa Benitez at Newcastle – well-done son!

Benitez is reported to have contacted Kenedy’s agent Giuliano Bertolucci, the Brazilian super-agent who took Kenedy to Chelsea from Fluminense three years ago.

Rafa is trying to sell him the deal of Kenedy moving to Newcastle this summer on a permanent basis.

Kenedy is now said to be Newcastle’s top midfield target with a new striker being the prime transfer target this summer.

Chelsea will want at least £20M for their winger this summer, but in today’s world of football, he’s worth the money.

That would be a record Newcastle signing but breaking our record of £17M for Michael Owen from Real Madrid in 2005 is way overdue.

Kenedy’s wage demands are not expected to be a problem.

The 22-year-old wants to play first-team football from now on, and that almost certainly means he will have to leave Chelsea this summer.

Benitez seems to be working hard to bring the Brazilian U23 International to the club, but we’re not sure how much help he is getting from owner Mike Ashley, who is notorious for not wanting to spend big money in transfer windows.

Signing Kenedy on a permanent deal would be a massive success for both Rafa Benitez and Newcastle.

Our fans would absolutely love it!

And I’d have to make a rush for the blood pressure pills.

• AncientC

Jun 17, 2018 at 10:04 AM

I have Kenedy down for goal of the season but £20 million seems steep to me. Rolando Aarons probably got as many goals and assists as Kenedy last season.

• OneAlanShearer

Jun 17, 2018 at 10:13 AM

Aaron’s potential is matched by his injury issues.

A half decent player in this market is 20 million. You are probably talking 30 million plus for a consistent top player.

Kenedy will be a top player imho.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jun 17, 2018 at 10:15 AM

£20M? Sure why not £30M now we are at it for such a prolific…I mean …average PL player.

He did alright for us…but common!

Lets stop wasting time this window like we did the last window waiting for Tammy!

• AncientC

Jun 17, 2018 at 10:19 AM

Well, that is me off for the day. Just a little something for carl for chew on before I go ^_^ : https://twitter.com/SeidGoro/status/1006858548331077638

• DaveD1000

Jun 17, 2018 at 10:25 AM

Kenedy added shape to the team and is prepared to track back. Also seems to have bags of potential.

• OneAlanShearer

Jun 17, 2018 at 10:30 AM

Dave – exactly. Not quite sure what more anyone would expect. We aren’t buying at the top level.

• OneAlanShearer

Jun 17, 2018 at 10:33 AM

From previous thread…

The players I’d sign for the 4 positions and 6 for cover (based on potentially available players)…

Rb – Juanfran ( I think he’s out if contract) or
    Lorenzo De Silvestri.
    No.10 –  Zlatko Junuzovic or Oguzhan Ozyakup
    Lw – kenedy or Amin Younes or Quincy promes
    Striker – carrol (should be cheaper plus get in another quick striker – good options)

Competion for first xi or step into it

Am – Dani Garcia or Sisto (looked quality)
    Lb – Ivan Marcano/Luke Shaw (loan)
    Cb – Kasim Nuhu
    Dm – Thiago Mai
    Striker- Nicolas Fullkrug, kramaric or Uth.
    Another keeper as rafa looks to be after one.

• Lindisfarne

Jun 17, 2018 at 11:16 AM

Just read that Andy Woodman is the Goal keeping Coach for Arsenal Reserves….that is a step up from C.Palace first team!

• will die for the toon army

Jun 17, 2018 at 11:19 AM

Wen Rafa doesnt rate a player there r no second chances. Look at Saviet Vs Westham player of the match then next match day back to reserves. Aarons against Nottingham Forest at Capital Cup. Mitrovic on several occassions. Colback etc….

• RobLeenio

Jun 17, 2018 at 11:22 AM

Happy fathers day to everyone. I was given a Commodore 64 emulator preloaded with loads of retro games so there goes my day.

• Shoulders knees

Jun 17, 2018 at 11:29 AM

So here we are again, transfer window and we don’t have any money again, Rafa has to wheel to deal, really starting to get fed up with this Ashley guy ?

• lesh

Jun 17, 2018 at 11:32 AM

Ancient

You’re off foIf Rafa is pushing for Kenedy at £20m, he’s asking a big question of Ashley – who’s controlling transfers!

Whoever or how ever much a target(s) is, there’s no excuse for not getting the players he wants in before July 2nd. The TV money should be in the bank on July 1st and all deals, including medical could and should be set up and contracts ready for exchange on the day.

However, Rafa’s faced with having to get Charnley, via Barnes then Ashley all lined up with biros poised. You can bet your boots that the latter two’ll be ‘out of the office’.

• magic hat

Jun 17, 2018 at 11:32 AM

I thought arrons looked good in the mancity game at home. I can’t for the life of me understand why we need more keepers or rightbacks!! Maybe we need more quality there but a squad is only as good as it’s weakest player

• jimmygscot

Jun 17, 2018 at 11:35 AM

Not sure i would describe Kenedy as being outstanding last season. He did make a difference, compared to Murphy & Atsu and had some decent games but was posted absent in a couple of games.
    I would still buy at £20m.
    On the subject of Atsu, he says he had his injury problem for 3 years, how was this not picked up by the medical team?

• lesh

Jun 17, 2018 at 11:35 AM

RobLeenio

Oh yes, a day of computerised tennis or squash beckons. Must say, that was my idea of exercise!

• lesh

Jun 17, 2018 at 11:38 AM

@12

* You’re off foIf ???

Haven’t a clue what I meant to say. 🙁

• The overrated Frenchman

Jun 17, 2018 at 11:42 AM

R.I.P. Expatmag (Macca). Raising a glass of Mornington Peninsula Chardonnay to your memory tonight mate.

• lochinvar

Jun 17, 2018 at 11:43 AM

Atsu’s “injury” was probably a minor condition being managed rather than a major injury requiring urgent surgery. However as it didn’t remedy itself then time to do something about it.

• Lindisfarne

Jun 17, 2018 at 11:46 AM

Looking forward to seeing Atsu playing at a much better level, as he was apparently hampered by an ongoing injury last season. I wonder if Aarons and Lazaar will get much of a look in during the pre-season?

All playing in the same position and with the speculation of Kenedy returning, it would appear to be very competitive on the left wing and also with the addition of the Spanish youngster coming through the reserves.

• lochinvar

Jun 17, 2018 at 11:47 AM

Why would Rafa be asking Ashley now to sanction buying Kenedy. Surely the prime targets were all identified over the last few months, budgets calculated and Charnley wound up with a key in his back to go forth and deliver.
    Realistically it’s clearly not as simple as that but we live in hope.

• Optimistic Panda

Jun 17, 2018 at 11:54 AM

Parents have to plan their summer holidays around the school holidays which is very similar to Ashley HAVING to take his holidays during transfer windows, it’s his only opportunity.

• bettyswallocks

Jun 17, 2018 at 11:56 AM

Ancient C yet again using the blog to peddle his love for an anti-Semitic, terrorist sympathising Marxist traitor who thinks homosexuals choose to be gay. Despite being admonished for using this blog as a platform to promote his political agenda he continues to use his support of NUFC as a guise to worship his hero.

• magic hat

Jun 17, 2018 at 11:59 AM

I’d say arrons atsu and lassar have a lot to prove this preseason. I always thought lassar was a leftback but heard he’s also a winger, same with Kennedy touted as a leftback to begin with. Considering lazar couldn’t beat either atsu goofy or dummet to a place during the championship it’s not looking great for him. Neither lazar or arrons had a good time on loan either so they definitely have their work cut out to impress

• AncientC

Jun 17, 2018 at 12:01 PM

Don’t have time to hang around and give you a shellacking, Betty.

I will just leave this one with you:

http://www.nufcblog.com/2017/01/25/newcastle-have-problems-with-getting-barrow-to-the-club/ (comment 10)

Enjoy.

Btw. Pay up!

• BenArfa the magician

Jun 17, 2018 at 12:01 PM

Glad to see its not just me who thinks Kennedy was better than what we had but by no means amazing. He had some decent games and some p1ss poor ones. It would be a good signing as he does have potential, 20m though?

Rafa likes to counter for this tactic i’d love us to sign Traore has to be the best possible fit, the way the guy travels with the ball and his pace no one can match. If we did sign Kennedy and Traore we would become a far more dangerous team to play as defenders will hold back more knowing on the counter they’d be rinsed. Ritchie on the otherhand give him half a pitch head start you’d catch him.

• kc2012

Jun 17, 2018 at 12:03 PM

If your going to buy a player from Chelsea, youngster or senior then we can’t really moan at paying £20m surely, yes it’s steep but that’s the modern market (which were being left behind in by teams like erm Yeovil Town). He was very good for us and has huge potential which can only really mean future profit. The fact Martial has a reported £75m price tag now would suggest Kenedy is worth atleast £20m, is he really 3 3/4 times better than Kenedy? Definitely not based on last season (although he probably isn’t a natural left winger and has possibly been played there out of position by miserable Mourinho), I still think £20m is reasonable and we’d probably regret not signing him now when he gets a big move in the very near future.

The one thing I like about Kenedy is how much he actually wanted to play for us, he became one of the lads very quickly and that’s important.

If we don’t get him then surely Shaqiri at £12m should be considered. Although he apparently has a strange attitude and Rafa wouldn’t allow it, he is extremely talented.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 17, 2018 at 12:11 PM

swallocks,
    You’re just as bad as Ancient in your views against Corbyn. Nobody on here except three or four give a foot about the guy. What does he do, or not do for Newcastle United?

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 17, 2018 at 12:15 PM

I honestly don’t know how these footballers valuations are being reached anyway. It is impossible to say that Kenedy is or isn’t worth 20M when, as kc2012 points out that Martial is worth 75M. How much will Trippier now be worth if Walker went for 50M, a player who was playing league one football not so long ago and sold for £3.5M.

• bettyswallocks

Jun 17, 2018 at 12:16 PM

Ancient…….. Not that it is any concern of yours but I made the contribution to Sir Bobby’s charity as I pledged to do and have since made several additional contributions.

To come on a footy blog with a ridiculously offensive avatar and to use it to make political comments just shows what a useless waste of space you are. I suggest you get back to work and contribute to your cause in a more productive way.

• bettyswallocks

Jun 17, 2018 at 12:18 PM

Jail…… I don’t see why Ancient should be allowed to spread his propaganda on here unchallenged. Simple as that.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 17, 2018 at 12:19 PM

Reached=Calculated

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 17, 2018 at 12:20 PM

Swallocks,
    He doesn’t until someone mentions it, ask Ed to get him to remove his picture if it offends you so much, it isn’t a political blog after all.

• AncientC

Jun 17, 2018 at 12:23 PM

If I had honoured a bet, I would have came onto the blog and shared the fact. I don’t believe you—sorry.

I actually found it surprising that you were married, betty, considering you were creeping on BandB and turned against her when she asked you to leave her alone. Very odd behaviour.

My earlier message was addressed to carl, unless you are carl, I suggest you mind your own business. I am happy to stay clear of you, if you will do the same. You are not the type of person I care to fraternise with.

• bettyswallocks

Jun 17, 2018 at 12:29 PM

Ancient C……… I am not a liar!

• bettyswallocks

Jun 17, 2018 at 12:35 PM

Ancient C……….. FYI Band B asked me for my personal email address as she was thinking of leaving the blog and wanted to stay in touch. I gave it to her in confidence. She then used this confidential information to try and discredit me when she was struggling during a debate.

This is just for the record but if you wish to continue to spread untruths feel free.

• magic hat

Jun 17, 2018 at 12:38 PM

The more I think about it the more it’s obvious to me that selling mitro could be a mistake. He’s a young international striker strong big and if you play to his strengths he’ll get you goals. If we get 20m for him I think we’d struggle to find someone as good for similar. Jorgensen looked worse.

• dig-n-dig22

Jun 17, 2018 at 12:55 PM

JimmyScott 14
    It was Kenedy and Dubravka who lit the spark for the revival that helped stave off relegation, “AGAIN”.That to me is a good enough reason to sign him if we can get him for £20Mill. and help retain the squad that served us well during the last few months of last season. If I recall rightly, most of our bloggers thought our relegation fight would go to the wire, I think Kenedy?Dubravka saved our blushes, no thanks to Ashley by the way.

• OneAlanShearer

Jun 17, 2018 at 1:31 PM

Dig – exactly. Get Kenedy and build on that. Otherwise we have another unknown quantity to fill. We know Kenedy fits. Why go elsewhere.

• MikeAshleysWallet

Jun 17, 2018 at 1:39 PM

Is it only me noticed how much the TV commentators have talked about Mitrovic yet not once mentioned his parent club? Or did I blink and miss it happen?