Potential Deal For Newcastle Defender Stalled On The Transfer Fee

Portuguese publication A Bola are reporting that no agreement has yet been reached on the transfer fee for Chancel Mbemba to complete his potential move to Porto.

The report is that Chancel Mbemba is looking forward to signing for FC Porto with other clubs such as Celtic (Scotland), West Ham (England), Hoffenheim (Germany), Brugge, Standard Liège and Anderlecht (all from Belgium) being interested parties for the talented DR Congo defender who is still only 23.

Everything else about the deal seems to be settled with Porto offering Championship League football and a four-year contract to the defender.

Chancel Mbemba – Porto deal has stalled on the fee

But the report suggests that Proto think Newcastle are asking too much for their experienced and talented defender:

“FC Porto should make progress this week to try to close the deal with Newcastle over the acquisition of centre-back Chancel Mbemba.”

“The transfer was suggested on the basis of €7M, but the English club forced the bar a little and demanded €9M – a sum that Porto considers a bit exaggerated.”

When continental clubs offer their players to Premier League clubs they hike the transfer fee – often to ridiculous amounts –  but it seems they are not too keen to pay the going rate for some Premier League players who are leaving England.

But obviously, they want the best deal they can get.

From what we can tell about the Chancel Mbemba move (saga?) to Porto –  nothing has changed over the last week – and Newcastle are still negotiating with Porto on the transfer fee.

Something (negotiating) Newcastle spend a lot of time doing.

We don’t want to be too critical but sometimes you have to close deals so we can move forward.

• Chancel My MBembaship

Jun 19, 2018 at 12:43 PM

Rolando aarons – I can understand someone saying they don’t support an English club team in the Champions League, especially when they usually have so few actual English players in the team. But to say you’d actually be HAPPY to see England eliminated is downright weird for me to read.

I get that people can be indifferent towards the national team, but I just can’t see how someone who claims to be English would take pleasure seeing them get knocked out of a World Cup.

Why does that scenario give you joy?

• Chancel My MBembaship

Jun 19, 2018 at 12:48 PM

If the only interest was from Porto for my (almost) namesake then I’d budge on the transfer fee slightly, but with other clubs interested then there’s always the potential for a bit of a bidding war. Or at least the potential to actually get the eight million quid we’re looking for.

Rafa needs to squeeze every single bit of transfer money from clubs taking our players to fatten his own purse.

• Jib

Jun 19, 2018 at 12:51 PM

Blooming heck
    A Tory with brains

Former Conservative leader Lord Hague has called upon the government to “be bold” and follow Canada in legalising cannabis for recreational use.
    Writing in The Daily Telegraph, he said the eventual approval by the Home Office for medicinal cannabis oil to be used to treat epileptic youngster Billy Caldwell was evidence that a hard-line stance on the drug had become “inappropriate, ineffective and utterly out of date”.

• ronaldo aarons

Jun 19, 2018 at 12:52 PM

Chancel
    I’ve never liked the national team but normally never had a particular dislike for them until this tournament. What pushed me overnight the edge this tournament isn’t the fact that we (nufc lol) actually had player season worth considering in lascelles and shelvey yet I don’t think Southgate came to st James park even once to have a look at them and having no reasoning for it. Supposed to be a national team, not a top 6 English 11.

But before this I’ve never really cared for them, whether to do well or poorly. Reasons ranging from how the managers have not been given the freedom to pick and play the players they want, overpaid and overrated players not turning up or showing anything for the national team, from the hype the media gave to past teams when they were just a bang average team with lots of individuals, boring football, arrogant nature in terms of other sides they expect to beat, fans causing trouble when travelling (Amsterdam a recent example). Generally, under the likes of Sven, mclaren, capello etc, there was always an air of expectancy that it is our right to be challenging the likes of Germany and Spain in tournaments.

This year is really the only time I’ve wanted them to fall flat rather than not care how they do. Think mainly because I want them to realise they could have done with our boys. Selfish and irrational, maybe but I think I’m entitled to this opinion.

• ronaldo aarons

Jun 19, 2018 at 12:52 PM

Spoof
    Sorry lol, it’s just a habit.

• ronaldo aarons

Jun 19, 2018 at 12:53 PM

Jail
    It’s football, it’s not treason or an insult against the country lol.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 19, 2018 at 12:56 PM

ronaldo,
    I’d have you strung up in a gibbet cage on the banks of the Tyne as carrion for your views 😀

• ronaldo aarons

Jun 19, 2018 at 1:03 PM

Jail
    lol. It appears I’ll have the support of FIFA and VAR, I might be difficult to catch!

• Ron Knee

Jun 19, 2018 at 1:03 PM

Jail, Not in a Trump cage, I hope!

• Ron Knee

Jun 19, 2018 at 1:07 PM

Bright start for Colombia.

• Jib

Jun 19, 2018 at 1:08 PM

• Tsunki

Jun 19, 2018 at 1:09 PM

The problem with Henderson is not that he’s a bad player, he has a decent stride, can turn into space, shields the ball well and intercepts.

Nope. His problem is that he is completely unaware of his positioning and that of his team mates. He has to use his skills to make space for himself to think, find a player, and get the ball moving again. This is why he is seen to do a lot of sideways and backward passes, because he’s getting closed down and the opposition are busy marking up. Consequently he is a big reason why our play slows down in midfield at precisely the time when we should be pushing forward.

• c-dog

Jun 19, 2018 at 1:33 PM

Absolutely no to Jordan Ayew…

• nufc786

Jun 19, 2018 at 1:44 PM

Oguzhan is very gifted player technically and when deployed as an attacking midfielder, Besiktas look very dangerous going forward.

His movement is excellent and he attacks the space between the defensive lines brilliantly. His passing and movement often dictate the tempo of Besiktas’ play and the midfielder is a great influence on the whole team.

Ozyakup’s influence on the attack is best seen by his number of created chances and key passes. Per-game, Ozyakup makes 1.5 key passes and creates 1.72 scoring chances. His passing success rate is a decent 85% and the player attempts an average of 57.1 passes per-gam

• ronaldo aarons

Jun 19, 2018 at 1:48 PM

This is what I posted recently about ozyakup

ronaldo aarons
    Jun 3, 2018 at 1:51 PM
    This player reportedly signed a new contract but had a release clause of about £10m or about 12 in euros. He is a good player but not sure where he would player. He seems to play better at cm than am but in this league I don’t think he does enough defensively to play as 2 cm in 4231, certainly doesn’t do enough defensively to start under Rafa. He is physically lacking too which is an issue. He is very creative though and passes and moves very well, technically very good. He actually reminds me of cazorla at Arsenal when he played further back. Won’t get the assists but creates openings for others.

• RobLeenio

Jun 19, 2018 at 2:05 PM

ronaldo, interesting points. For what it’s worth and as a reminder as to how Ozyakup arrived in his current situation, here’s my post from earlier this month

RobLeenio
    Jun 5, 2018 at 12:45 PM
    Interesting update from the Besiktas President re Oguzhan Ozyakup

Besiktas President Fikret Orman:
    “Oguzhan Ozyakup is our player, we will officially confirm this (with a new contract).
    “The problem is our agreement with Arsenal, 30% of any future transfer will go to Arsenal.
    “If his contract runs out and then we sign a new deal that will no longer apply.
    “We have requested that Arsenal reduce their future sale percentage but they are not interested.”

So, we (or anyone else) may well have agreed a fee with Besiktas, but they are trying to avoid a 30% sell-on fee due to Arsenal. They want to pay less, essentially. If they allow the contract to run down, re-sign Ozakup and then sell him to us (or anyone else) Arsenal get nothing. Of course, the player could refuse to sign the new deal (unlikely or he would have signed a pre-contract agreement) or the club could turn round and refuse to sell him (unlikely as they would have a very upset player on their hands) but I’ve never heard of such a strange situation before.

I have to say, if this is true then Ozyakup’s loyalty to Besiktas, ensuring they get a decent fee when he leaves, is admirable. Especially when you consider if he signed elsewhere on a free he could get a hefty signing-on fee and improved wages

• RobLeenio

Jun 19, 2018 at 2:36 PM

Funny thing about Ozyakup is his range of passing is very much like JonJo’s, ie he is often a deep-lying CM, first receiver from the defence, rather than a Number 10.

I wonder if he’s seen as Merino’s replacement, rather than competition for / upgrade on Perez? First time I’ve considered that Merino could be away.

• ronaldo aarons

Jun 19, 2018 at 2:37 PM

Rob
    Definitely agree, think it shows something positive in ozyakup. Love how besiktas done Arsenal over too lol, find that quite funny.

• hibbit

Jun 19, 2018 at 2:48 PM

all good words lads but will we sign him ??????

• lesh

Jun 19, 2018 at 2:49 PM

Jib

You’re surely not trying to get Dailymailagraphexpress among our little fraternity react and respond to your clearly anti-Tory post? Surely not. Naughty Jiblets!

• lesh

Jun 19, 2018 at 2:52 PM

Rafa Benitez wants the Oyzakup deal done quickly and the player is keen on the move is he? We’ll, the quickly bit might prove problematic.

By the time Charnley sends his requisition chitty to Barnes he’ll find him to be out of office and uncontactable for a week or so.

Assuming the requisition gets past Barnes, it’ll be sent to Ashley who’ll also be out of office and uncontactable.

Assuming it even gets Ashley attention, questions will be passed down the line then to Charnley then answers passed back up the one, the target’ll have been signed by another club. That being so, we’re back to scratching around the clearance sales before the window slams shut!

But, we can relaxed certain that the approval process is designed to ensure we don’t sign players who won’t add anything to what Ashley described as not being a championship squad.

Another step towards the departure lounge for Rafa?

• swemag

Jun 19, 2018 at 2:53 PM

The release clause amount of the Turkish dude seems to be changing everyday. Is this deal really happening or just another b*******t story.

• lesh

Jun 19, 2018 at 2:56 PM

If they want to sell players, they’re in a buyers market and that being so, Charley’s got to get what he can. Piss about and we’re stuck with the players Rafa wants rid of.

In the context of Colbeck mightn’t it be cost effective to make him an offer to terminate his contract?

• lesh

Jun 19, 2018 at 2:59 PM

Swemag

What price it’s another b*******t story?

• Optimistic Panda

Jun 19, 2018 at 3:05 PM

Jfa

I haven’t followed England since I was about 18, no interest at all. I can’t call a player a dick one week then cheer him in the next week.

Patriosm is a virtue of the vicious.

• Chancel My MBembaship

Jun 19, 2018 at 3:09 PM

I’m pretty sure Ed asked for no political talk on here, right? It’s bad enough when people come on here waffling on about cricket, boxing or bands they’ve seen in the sixties, but why the hell do certain people come to a football blog to talk politics? There’s newspaper comments sections to do that on.

• Ron Knee

Jun 19, 2018 at 3:12 PM

“…bands they’ve seen in the sixties…”

That wouldn’t be envy, would it?

• Chancel My MBembaship

Jun 19, 2018 at 3:14 PM

lesh – I think Colback could end up being our Rodwell. Rafa wants rid but Jack loves the club and is being paid too much to be pushed off to a lower league club (except Rodwell has no love for Sunderland – he’s a pure mercenary). Maybe he’s waiting to see if the gaffer will leave and he’ll get a clean slate with a new manager?

• hibbit

Jun 19, 2018 at 3:17 PM

Chancel
    don’t forget all the good clubs and venues we visited to see them !!!

• Chancel My MBembaship

Jun 19, 2018 at 3:19 PM

Ron Knee – ha! I’m not much of a music lover, my passion is football, so no envy here. Just don’t understand why we get people coming on here with political comments. It’s a Newcastle United blog.

• Chancel My MBembaship

Jun 19, 2018 at 3:24 PM

hibbit – very true. I think political talk on here gets under my skin and I come here to talk and read about anything but politics. Just don’t think it’s necessary and so does Ed. Respecting the wishes of the bloke running the blog would be nice.

• DubaiMicky

Jun 19, 2018 at 3:33 PM

CmM “There’s newspaper comments sections to do that on”.

But I keep getting banned (Daily Fail and Sun being two)…

• TyneMouth

Jun 19, 2018 at 4:00 PM

The debate regarding supporting ‘Ingurland’ is fascinating, a lot depends on your age, your hometown, and most importantly the club team you support.

My first visit to SJP was in 1952, it was a thoroughly miserable experience! 3.00pm kick-off on a Saturday afternoon, it rained the entire match, I was soaked and cold, and incidentally we lost.

My Dad said I would “enjoy better days” I did, but they were thin and far apart. However…

The first match I really remember was the first flood night game, it was a midweek match, and I think it was an exhibition event to celebrate the new lighting. All I really remember was climbing up the long walkway behind the east stand to the top of the Leezes end, in almost total darkness! Then I saw the pitch! From the top of the Leezes End it looked like an intense neon illumination, I’d never seen a brighter green in my young life, and I’ve never seen a brighter green since.

Remember, this was not that much later than the end of the war, a large amount of the town was still riddled with bomb sites, there was not much colour about, seeing that intense green that autumn evening was a spiritual experience that I have never forgot. I was hooked for life.

So, if NUFC was my team why would I need another, especially if I couldn’t see them live. Remember in those days you could see a live game every two weeks, unless you were prepared, and rich enough, to travel. It’s hard to believe these days but back then people would visit Roker Park if the lads were playing along distance away. Times have indeed changed.

The England football team was always associated with London when I was a young lad. Their home ground was Wembley! Also they were rarely on the TV, a lot of internationals were played on midweek afternoons, I seem to remember. But most importantly, England seldom selected Newcastle players, even when we were the best cup winning team in the land, with the best centre forward! Some things never change.

Throughout my time as a football fan, for a NUFC player to achieve national recognition he has to move to a ‘big’ club. Milburn stayed loyal and only won a few caps, George Eastman went to Arsenal and became an England regular. There were many others, Waddle, Beardsley Gascoigne…

For many reasons I grew up with very little interest in the England football team, and I was not the only one. 1966 changed things, with the help of TV. Leading to Sky, the Premiership and digital 24 hour TV.

I moved to London early 1960’s I lived in North London, Wembley was a short Tube ride away. England internationals, or Home Nation’s games were usually on mid week evenings (remember them?)

I rarely missed an England home during this period, tickets were easy to buy, (Scotland Excepted) I used to with a group of friends, from Manchester, Bristol, London, Munich. We came to realise that the other England fans at the match were not particularly local, all my group lived in London, the majority of the crowd were from football ‘hot-spots’ like Sculthorpe, Bury, Crawley, Fleetwood etc,

Obviously we concluded that to follow England, wear the shirt, and go to Wembley was as near to being a supporter of a famous historic team, without having been born there.

But even that has changed, fan loyalty is very confused, both locally and nationally. I have lived in London mainly most of my adult life, London is probably the world’s most metropolitan city, on any day you will see a wonderful selection of sportwear, football, rugby, baseball etc but when a specific team has success suddenly there are sightings of new allegiances, two years ago, from nowhere a tunsami of Leicester City shirts!

My point regarding supporting the England football team depends on how representative the England team is relative to your own football values and expectations. It’s the same as you feel about your home town club, does the team meet your expectations, do they ‘try’, do they entertain, and, most importantly, do they make you feel proud!

Notes from a patriot, not a parrot, just saying…