Report – Newcastle Ready To Pay Up To €20M For Giant Goalkeeper

There’s a report in Sports Witness today linking Newcastle once again with 25-year-old PSG backup goalkeeper Alphonse Areola.

France Football has linked us a few times with the French goalkeeper this year but why would Rafa Benitez want to bring in another goalkeeper, when we have just signed bargain-buy Martin Dubravka for £4M from Sparta Prague.

That doesn’t make much sense unless Rafa wants to sell either Karl Darlow or Rob Elliot this summer.

Thomas Tuchel is the new head coach at PSG, and he has said he will use the French U21 goalkeeper in Paris next season.

25-year-old PSG goalkeeper Alphonse Areola – linked with Magpies

Alphonse Areola is currently one of three goalkeepers with the French squad at the World Cup in Russia.

Sports Witness say that France Football are reporting Rafa Benitez has already held multiple meetings with the 25-year-old 6ft 5ins tall goalkeeper.

Areola has played 71 times for PSG since he joined his hometown club back in 2012.

He has also been on loan to Lens, Bastia, and Villarreal and played another 112 times for those clubs combined so he is an experienced player.

Newcastle are supposed to be willing to pay €15M to €20M to buy out the remainder of his contract in Paris.

But that seems to be a little far-fetched and Newcastle surely have better things to do with their transfer funds this summer.

One thing we can do is to bring in two new strikers – as an example.

• Moonraker15

Jun 19, 2018 at 3:25 PM

Fake news!

• jazzyp

Jun 19, 2018 at 3:26 PM

• ronaldo aarons

Jun 19, 2018 at 3:26 PM

Newcastle United FC
    @NUFC
    ??? Congratulations to @AyozePG, who has won the NUFC TV goal of the season award for the third time in four years for his lob against @LCFC in April.

• Ron Knee

Jun 19, 2018 at 3:31 PM

2017 winner:

“And Perez’s strike against Ipswich Town, which came after a superb team move which involved every outfield player straight from the kick off, won with 26 per cent of the vote.”

• RUNAWAY777

Jun 19, 2018 at 3:32 PM

We dont need anymore keepers would be a waste of money which we cant afford to waste at this time.

• JP...from The Rock

Jun 19, 2018 at 3:41 PM

Yeah right! 20m euros on another goalkeeper after we’ve just signed one! LOL I can’t wait for silly season to end.

• Tsunki

Jun 19, 2018 at 3:52 PM

But he’s a GIANT! We don’t really have those do we? Let’s get some more giants maybe we could play 11 of them and trample other teams into the mud. 🙂

• Jib

Jun 19, 2018 at 3:57 PM

Sweet Fanny Adams happening in the transfer market
    The World Cup in Russia
    Tsunki hogging the stage with his fabulous humour

Blogging doesn’t really get much better than this

😛

• kc2012

Jun 19, 2018 at 4:00 PM

Because we’re definitely going to pay €20m for a back up goalkeeper when we’re unable to even pay that for Kenedy. Fantastic bit of shockingly bad fake news for the 19273723th Time this Month

• Jib

Jun 19, 2018 at 4:01 PM

Robert Lewandowski and Sadio Mané head to head

• TyneMouth

Jun 19, 2018 at 4:05 PM

The debate regarding supporting ‘Ingurland’ is fascinating, a lot depends on your age, your hometown, and most importantly the club team you support.

My first visit to SJP was in 1952, it was a thoroughly miserable experience! 3.00pm kick-off on a Saturday afternoon, it rained the entire match, I was soaked and cold, and incidentally we lost.

My Dad said I would “enjoy better days” I did, but they were thin and far apart. However…

The first match I really remember was the first flood night game, it was a midweek match, and I think it was an exhibition event to celebrate the new lighting. All I really remember was climbing up the long walkway behind the east stand to the top of the Leezes end, in almost total darkness! Then I saw the pitch! From the top of the Leezes End it looked like an intense neon illumination, I’d never seen a brighter green in my young life, and I’ve never seen a brighter green since.

Remember, this was not that much later than the end of the war, a large amount of the town was still riddled with bomb sites, there was not much colour about, seeing that intense green that autumn evening was a spiritual experience that I have never forgot. I was hooked for life.

So, if NUFC was my team why would I need another, especially if I couldn’t see them live. Remember in those days you could see a live game every two weeks, unless you were prepared, and rich enough, to travel. It’s hard to believe these days but back then people would visit Roker Park if the lads were playing along distance away. Times have indeed changed.

The England football team was always associated with London when I was a young lad. Their home ground was Wembley! Also they were rarely on the TV, a lot of internationals were played on midweek afternoons, I seem to remember. But most importantly, England seldom selected Newcastle players, even when we were the best cup winning team in the land, with the best centre forward! Some things never change.

Throughout my time as a football fan, for a NUFC player to achieve national recognition he has to move to a ‘big’ club. Milburn stayed loyal and only won a few caps, George Eastman went to Arsenal and became an England regular. There were many others, Waddle, Beardsley Gascoigne…

For many reasons I grew up with very little interest in the England football team, and I was not the only one. 1966 changed things, with the help of TV. Leading to Sky, the Premiership and digital 24 hour TV.

I moved to London early 1960’s I lived in North London, Wembley was a short Tube ride away. England internationals, or Home Nation’s games were usually on mid week evenings (remember them?)

I rarely missed an England home during this period, tickets were easy to buy, (Scotland Excepted) I used to with a group of friends, from Manchester, Bristol, London, Munich. We came to realise that the other England fans at the match were not particularly local, all my group lived in London, the majority of the crowd were from football ‘hot-spots’ like Sculthorpe, Bury, Crawley, Fleetwood etc,

Obviously we concluded that to follow England, wear the shirt, and go to Wembley was as near to being a supporter of a famous historic team, without having been born there.

But even that has changed, fan loyalty is very confused, both locally and nationally. I have lived in London mainly most of my adult life, London is probably the world’s most metropolitan city, on any day you will see a wonderful selection of sportwear, football, rugby, baseball etc but when a specific team has success suddenly there are sightings of new allegiances, two years ago, from nowhere a tunsami of Leicester City shirts!

My point regarding supporting the England football team depends on how representative the England team is relative to your own football values and expectations. It’s the same as you feel about your home town club, does the team meet your expectations, do they ‘try’, do they entertain, and, most importantly, do they make you feel proud!

Notes from a patriot, not a parrot, just saying…

• Jib

Jun 19, 2018 at 4:10 PM

25 Feb 1953, Newcastle United played Celtic in a friendly
    in what was the first floodlit game at St James’ Park.

Perhaps that why green was so strong in your mind

• Tsunki

Jun 19, 2018 at 4:11 PM

Jib @8 – it’s a low I must admit. But what can you do?

• Munster Mag

Jun 19, 2018 at 4:24 PM

England? England my hole. Hate the bastards. Lived there for about 8 years and my company insisted that by virtue of my position I should support them and it was practically treason not to! I have good English buddies and relatives and usually get on well with all poms although the rugby crowd can be hard work. But cudnt cheer for them, nope.

• Jib

Jun 19, 2018 at 4:30 PM

Strange that Munster
    If TBIG are playing Jonny Forriner I always shout for the Irish
    Loved them sticking it to the Wallabies

• Jib

Jun 19, 2018 at 4:35 PM

Probably something to do with playing against
    Ray and Feidlim Mcloughlin

• ashleysmate

Jun 19, 2018 at 4:45 PM

Tynemouth#11…good article

• jazzyp

Jun 19, 2018 at 5:06 PM

According to Twitter, Nufc haven’t got a budget, Don’t know if Rafa is staying, Selling players for transfer funds, But are buying 275 players from every club around the world and breaking their transfer record 197 times.

• outsidethebox

Jun 19, 2018 at 5:16 PM

tynemouth @11…enjoyed your trip down memory lane …i posted a few days ago about tanner a bag peanut seller scottish bands and sousa marches …bovril in paper cups …..form a circle to avoid losing your place …my distinct memory was seeing a young jimmy greaves smack in 4 against toon…george eastham..was my favourite player from that era alongside lenny white still the best uncapped england player

• lochinvar

Jun 19, 2018 at 5:35 PM

Areola –
    why would we sign the Jolly Green Giant ?
    Unless Ashley has invested in corn

• Ron Knee

Jun 19, 2018 at 5:43 PM

hibbit

So no holiday again for Rafa!

• Nostradamus the Geordie

Jun 19, 2018 at 5:49 PM

The only signing we need is the ones taken down at the club for the free advertising dik chudder that does not pay any money. As for transfers, I am so happy we have been linked with over 250 players, looking back to last summer I think we need to be at 363 players linked before we are allowed to purchase one, then 654 for the next and on final day 895 players for the third on the last day of the transfer window, cant wait. We have signed prolific goal scorer _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _, only issue is he has two broken legs, broken foot and both knee’s have to be operated on, should be ready to play April 2020. But when he does play you wait and see it was worth it in the end.

• Ron Knee

Jun 19, 2018 at 6:03 PM

A bit late (no pun intended)
    RIP Matt ‘Guitar’ Murphy

• Bobbybee

Jun 19, 2018 at 6:17 PM

Apologies for this. I know it’s a footy blog, but sport is sport. Having the cricket on TV and footy on my phone, I am grateful to have witnessed a record breaking one day innings from England that was breathtaking. 481/6 off 50 overs at over nine runs an over. Amazing.
    Two centurions – Hayes 147 and Bairstow 139, as we’ll as Morgan’s fastest ever fifty, scoring 67 from just 30 balls, with his fifty coming up in 21 balls .
    Trent Bridge may have short boundaries but most of the sixes would have been sixes anywhere.

• sing in the corner

Jun 19, 2018 at 6:30 PM

Cracking display of hitting wasn’t it Bobby? 🙂
    And against the Aussies too.
    Just a shame Butler couldn’t get going or 520+ would have been on!

• Bobbybee

Jun 19, 2018 at 6:34 PM

Aye, those memories of bygone times eh? I remember you could go to the shop with a pound note and get 5lbs of spuds, two chops, twenty tabs, bottle of whisky, tin of beans, and a box of cakes to finish off with.
    Not a chance of that now though.
    Bloody cctv cameras everywhere.

• DaveD1000

Jun 19, 2018 at 6:40 PM

going off all the numbers in #25 Cricket must be like Bingo yea?

• Jib

Jun 19, 2018 at 6:45 PM

Bobby
    😀

• simon376

Jun 19, 2018 at 7:31 PM

Brilliant Bobby

• TyneMouth

Jun 19, 2018 at 7:52 PM

Still in a nostalgic frame of mind, (Forgive me…) all this fuss about safe standin’ at football grounds, if you had asked the stalwarts of the Gallowgate End in winter 1953 if they would like a reserved seat, and a roof over their heads, and the use of indoor toilets, access to beer and snacks, TV monitors in foyers and WiFi. etc etc they would have had you sectioned.

Don’t dare mention ‘escalators’, leaving the ground down the outside of the East Stand or the Gallowgate steps was not for the faint hearted. It’s amazing no one was killed! especially in the rain or snow.

Enough nostalgia, not like as it used to be…

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jun 19, 2018 at 8:14 PM

Tynemouth
    It was a long way to the bogs in the Gallowgate if you were at the front
    Up the terracing and down the zig zags
    And back up – missing half the game
    I those were the days
    Half tome score box
    Ten minute flag
    Piss wet
    Crushed against the concrete barriers
    I those were the days
    Nostalgia yes but no thanks now

• lochinvar

Jun 19, 2018 at 8:33 PM

Tynemouth@31
    If you’d asked someone in 1953 about WiFi they would have asked you ” wtf are ye talking about ? ”
    Indoor netty in a football ground would have seemed unlikely.

• RUNAWAY777

Jun 19, 2018 at 8:44 PM

Bobbybee back in the toon friday thats 3 weeks away what was it you said if there was not signing in 3 weeks mate its looking like last summer to me iam in no hurry to get my season ticket renewed.

• TyneMouth

Jun 19, 2018 at 8:53 PM

Final piece of ‘all our yesterday’s’

How about NO SMOKING or VAPING!…

• Munster Mag

Jun 19, 2018 at 9:03 PM

We’re a bitter bunch jib!

• Bobbybee

Jun 19, 2018 at 9:18 PM

Runaway777, forgot about the money thing though mate. Nowt will happen until the money goes in the bank from the PL, which is July 1st. Rafa knows that anyway, it completely slipped my mind – been a bit preoccupied with more important issues tbh.
    It is what is matey, if he gets 40-50m plus sales I think he’ll be happy with that for this season.
    What happens after that is down to him, but not many other clubs around us will spend much more than that imo.
    You have to do what you feel is right for you. If that means not renewing nobody will argue with you. It’s your money, nobody else can tell you how to spend it. I wouldn’t dream of being so presumptuous by telling anybody they’re right or wrong. Each to their own as it should be.
    That said, if he does stay you might lose your seat and have to move to somewhere else in the stadium.
    I’m on that ten year deal, I’ve been paying my DD so renewing isn’t something I need to think about – I already have.
    Tbh I think 90m is a decent spend compared to recent seasons, but you must do as you see fit.
    I won’t feel the price increase until next season anyway.

• Lindisfarne

Jun 19, 2018 at 9:38 PM

Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere says he will leave the club when his contract expires at the end of June.

• Bobbybee

Jun 19, 2018 at 10:15 PM

Had to happen I suppose. Polish fans went on the rampage following their defeat this afternoon.
    Russian police report that up to 350 cars have been washed, waxed and polished. 🙂