Newcastle In Race For 21-Year-Old Goalscoring Winger

The Sun are reporting that Newcastle are keen on a move for Hull City winger Jarrod Bowen.

However, Everton are reported to be in the lead for the 21-year-old who joined Hull four years ago from Hereford United.

Jarrod has since played 53 games for Hull with 15 goals and 4 assists.

He made his big breakthrough last season with 15 goals and 3 assists in 44 total games for Hull City, so it was quite a season for the youngster.

21-year-old Hull City forward Jarrod Bowen

He won the Player of the Season last season from both the fans and the Hull  City players, and he was outstanding.

Everton are reported to be preparing a bid of £12M for the player who was born in Leominster in Herefordshire.

Everton manager Marco Silva was at Hull when they were relegated the season before last, and he will know all about Bowen.

But Hull City are keen to hold onto one of their best players, and if they are to sell, they will want the fee to be as high as possible.

• lochinvar

Jun 21, 2018 at 10:16 AM

Any relation to Jim ?

• lochinvar

Jun 21, 2018 at 10:17 AM

Sunderland’s closest away game next season is against Accrington a mere 120-mile drive from home on 8 December.

Quite a derby that is

• jane

Jun 21, 2018 at 10:28 AM

Doncaster maybe nearer and easier drive but equally difficult match 🙂

• count

Jun 21, 2018 at 10:28 AM

How anyone can defend Townsend’s “Pardew can take my game to the next level” and “blah blah England” crap is beyond me. He’s a little b¡tch and was proved to be massively wrong. He couldn’t have been more wrong.

• DubaiMicky

Jun 21, 2018 at 10:42 AM

Exactly count, Pardew is better than Rafa in his mind.

• RobLeenio

Jun 21, 2018 at 10:46 AM

count, so what was he supposed to say?

“I know Pardew is an inferior coach to Rafa, but I wanted to stay in the Prem because I’ve only just got back into the England squad and would like to have a chance to stay in it. Palace are not my first choice, but they’ve given me a chance and, frankly, it was them or nobody”.

Granted, that would be more honest but it wouldn’t have done him many favours.

• NUFCadon

Jun 21, 2018 at 10:47 AM

Get real Count, he was going through the motions saying what his new clubs fans want to hear. The same as every other player

• RobLeenio

Jun 21, 2018 at 10:48 AM

Micky, howay man – surely you know the difference between what people say in public and what they think in private.

• martoon

Jun 21, 2018 at 10:53 AM

I understand why Townsend didn’t stay for his England career and don’t hold a grudge. However from memory I think we sold him for about £13m so as he has done OK at Palace but not sensational I don’t see how he is worth £20m now especially as he is 2 years older?

• manxpie

Jun 21, 2018 at 10:53 AM

On townsend the guy was rotting in the spurs reserves infact i think he was even banished to the kids when we came and saved him
    Nowhere near prem footy or england and within 6 months hes crying he needs prem footy and to get in the England squad after us totally reviving his career! nah he can bugger off I’d have ritchie over him every day, spend the money on Kenedy

• RobLeenio

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:01 AM

I seem to remember Townsend’s dad urging him to stay with us. He went against his old man’s advice then, he’s probably regretted it since.

I also remember the anticipation everyone felt in the ground when Townsend got the ball in a bit of space – it was akin to when Robert or Ginola were at the club. There aren’t many players who can do that. Ritchie doesn’t, for all I voted him player of the season last season.

I’d have him back because under Rafa, he’s a different player and one which could definitely improve our squad.

• RobLeenio

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:09 AM

In other news, I see Blatter has backed the Uk for a joint World Cup bid. I think the Home Nations and Ireland could put a cracking bid together and host a fantastic tournament. Not sure if St James’ would get a look in as a venue with a bid from across the UK and Ireland, but why not?

• RobLeenio

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:15 AM

And finally, the EFL fixtures released today just reminded of how hilarious the plight of our neighbours is.

I can just imagine a couple of 8 year old kids from Lancashire looking at the fixture list saying

“Sunderland? Who are they?”

• NUFCadon

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:21 AM

Would be GREAT!!!! if the UK got the World Cup, especially if there were some games at St. James Park

• Bobbybee

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:22 AM

Doesn’t matter who we want, if Rafa wants Townsend he has a plan for him, although I think myself he’d rather spend it on Kenedy. Just another linked player in a long line that will only get longer as the silly season progresses.
    Kenedy or Townsend? Only one way to find out – FIGHT!!!!! 🙂

• Bobbybee

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:23 AM

Neither – it’s Clark getting knocked out!

• lochinvar

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:25 AM

RobLeenio@13
    To which the reply is “don’t worry kids they won’t be here for long, they’re just passing by on their way further south to Division 2”

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:26 AM

Solvent obviously is very good, but you do need to put in a concerted effort to get the players in Rafa has targeted. It’d be a shame to put it mildly if we lost Rafa because Ashley was too meek or cheap to trust him with the necessary funds to build a successful side that in turn would bring a greater return on investment. You don’t have go balls out, but when you have a personal fortune in excess of 3 billion, a huge and iconic club desperate for success and Rafa Benitez as manager surely it’s entirely appropriate to push the boat out a little. What happened to the initial commitment of sweetening the pot with 20 million out of his own pocket per year? That seems a long time ago now. Mightn’t that, in the form of an advertising payment, be enough to help Rafa turn Newcastle into a bigger, more valuable and successful club, and mightn’t that indeed be an owners money very well spent. Give him every last penny to strengthen the squad, 20 million a year to upgrade the training facility and academy, and otherwise get out of the way.

• Jib

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:26 AM

The President of Real Sociedad is in Toon today
    to thrash out a deal for Mikel Merino

• Bobbybee

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:27 AM

The question earlier about why Clark would go on holiday to Magaluf is probably answered in the story – he went with mates.
    Nice to know he hasn’t forgotten his roots imo and is happy to go where they can afford to go, rather than go to some exclusive beach somewhere. Good on him – but where we’re they when he got sparked?

• RobLeenio

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:34 AM

Nicky “Solvent obviously is very good” – you been on the Tippex thinners again mucker?
    😉

• lochinvar

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:34 AM

SJP would have to be a World Cup venue.
    Infrastructure – airport with links to hubs such as Amsterdam and London and rail connections
    Stadium capacity – would be good if Ashley extended that to 60,000
    Expertise – already established in hosting major events in Football, Rugby Union, Rugby League etc
    Hotel capacities and restaurants, night life, fan zones etc

Probably depends on how many grounds are needed ?

Scotland x 1 ?
    Wales x 1 ?
    Ireland x 1 ? N.Ireland – might not get a shout
    England – well expect the fat trough boys to hoover up the best opportunities for Lundun. Outside of Lundun, Newcastle, Liverpool , Manchester ( Old Trafford not City ), probably Birmingham due to politics but why anyone would want to go there is beyond me.

and Hull, mustn’t forget Hull

• Jib

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:34 AM

I presume NUFC has a Euro account outside of the UK

If we are being paid €12M for Merino , €2.5M for Sels and €6M for M’Bemba
    and then chase a foreign player for €20M there seems little point in going through
    the clart on of exchange rates.

• RobLeenio

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:35 AM

Bobby, how do we not know it was one of his mates who lamped him?

• Bobbybee

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:38 AM

Rob, have you ever fallen out with a mate who jostled you on the dance floor? I’d pick your mates more carefully if so! 🙂

• lochinvar

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:41 AM

Jib
    – so if The President of Real Sociedad really is in Toon today negotiating where is our Ilustrious Leader or his sidekick ?
    And if Merino is to go then that’s probably a mistake as he has potential unless he need to be back home for the sunshine and concerns over his back standing up to the rigours of the Premiership.
    If Townsend’s real worth is say £15m (not £20m) is Merino not worth the same ?

• Bobbybee

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:45 AM

Loch, I agree with you mate, I think we’d be one of the first stadiums to be picked if the WC did come here,for the reasons you state

• lochinvar

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:48 AM

Can just see the scenario.
    Ashley struggling to negotiate with The President of Real Sociedad.

Ashley ” Charnely old fruit, don’t we have a translator in the club ? ”
    Charnley ” no Boss Hogg, you told me to fire them to save money”
    Ashley ” well Charners I suggest that you find someone pronto”
    Charnley on phone …..” hello Mrs. Benitez, do you think Rafa could come out to play for a short while …”

• RobLeenio

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:51 AM

Bobby, my mates are not like that and they wouldn’t be my mates if they were, but on a lads holiday there are always people who are mates or brothers of mates who you don’t know very well.

• Jib

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:52 AM

Loch
    Charnley speaks pretty good Spanish as it happens

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:52 AM

“Tippex thinners” hahaha! Cheap hock is more my thing.

• Bobbybee

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:57 AM

Rob, in that case it wouldn’t have been one of his mates who sparked him then. I just replied to your question which, if you read it, suggests it may have been one of his mates, not a mate of his brothers next door neighbour’s milkman’s mates. 🙂
    From what I gather this clown smacked him, left the place then came back and sucker punched him. Doubt it was one of his mates but you never know.

• dig-n-dig22

Jun 21, 2018 at 12:06 PM

” Newcastle in race for 21yr old goalscoring winger”

Let’s hope the race is a marathon , then we may be able to sign him on transfer deadline day.

• Toonces

Jun 21, 2018 at 12:17 PM

Loch @ 2

Isn’t our closest away fixture Huddersfield – about the same distance away?

• NUFCadon

Jun 21, 2018 at 12:24 PM

Ashley will never sell if he has free advertising at the world cup

• Bobbybee

Jun 21, 2018 at 12:27 PM

Dig n dig, I’d fancy myself in a race with Penfold mate, even in my wheelchair of hobbling along on my crutches! 🙂

• martoon

Jun 21, 2018 at 12:37 PM

Toonces @34 – Actually our closest away fixture (derby) is actually Burnley – surprising as it may seem it is actually a few miles closer than Huddersfield!

• Ron Knee

Jun 21, 2018 at 12:40 PM

Ashley! Good God!
    What is he good for?

• Bobbybee

Jun 21, 2018 at 12:43 PM

Martoon, if our kids draw Sunlun’s first team in the Checkatrade Trophy(?) I suspect a new record attendance for the competition will be set, if they’ll allow 20k or so away fans through the gates. 🙂

• dig-n-dig22

Jun 21, 2018 at 12:48 PM

Bobbybee

I think we will be doing our transfer business during the last 2 weeks of the window I don’t think F@TTY will want to pay wages for incoming deals any earlier than he has to, so I think we will be picking from the best of the rest after the clubs with the ambition have taken what they want, that said, I still think Rafa can still do some decent trade.