Hopes Are Raised That Newcastle Can Now Sign Top Target This Summer

There are various reports in the papers that Maurizio Sarri will soon become the Chelsea manager with Napoli already announcing their new manager will be Carlo Ancelotti.

But it’s still a bit messy with Napoli saying that Chelsea would owe them  £4.5M if Sarri is appointed before July 1st and there’s no agreement yet on what compensation Napoli will receive from Chelsea for Sarri.

Since current manager Antonio Conte still has one year to run on his contract at the Blues he will also need to be compensated by the London club.

Kenedy with Rafa Benitez during West Brom game

It’s all messy and very expensive for the Blues.

The Express are reporting in an exclusive that Sarri has a number of players he wants brought into Chelsea this summer.

Here’s a price from the Express report:

“Sarri though is poised to go back and raid his old club for at least two players, with Napoli striker Dries Mertens, who would cost around £28M top of the list of strikers he wants, Chelsea having cooled their interest in Juventus hitman Gonzalo Higuain due to a £60M price tag.”

“Sarri also wants Napoli right-back Elseid Hysaj, who would cost around £23M, Juventus center-back Daniele Rugani, at around £20M, Inter Milan’s Uruguayan midfielder Matias Vecino at £19M, Nice midfielder Jean Seri for £28M, and maybe even Napoli winger Jose Maria Callejon.”

“Although last night they looked set to miss out to Newcastle AC Milan on that move.”

Chelsea will need to sell some players to help fund those coming in so it looks almost certain the Blues will sell Kenedy.

Rafa would love to have Kenedy at the club permanently.

So we’ll have to see if Ashley has gained any passion and ambition for the club in the last couple of years since Rafa joined.

But we are not holding our breath.

Kenedy at £20M would be a great buy for us unless Mike Ashley keeps shying away from spending big money to help Rafa build a top team on Tyneside.

He’s not being asked to put his own money into the club but simply allow Rafa to use what’s available for transfers and that’s a lot more money than has been published so far in the local press.

Ashley’s playing with fire too – because surely at some point the manager will get sick of spending so much of his energy on persuading Ashley how he can be the owner of a top club in Europe.

He doesn’t seem to want that.

But Rafa wants to be a manager of a top club in Europe – that’s why he joined Newcastle in the first place and even agreed to stay down in the Championship with us.

He deserves to be fully backed by the club.

• Tsunki

Jun 22, 2018 at 1:12 PM

…no doubt to be dashed again shortly.

• RobLeenio

Jun 22, 2018 at 1:13 PM

I was thinking it had gone quiet on the Kenedy situation – the press haven’t mentioned it for days, no other clubs have been linked with him for a while. Interesting

• RobLeenio

Jun 22, 2018 at 1:21 PM

• RobLeenio

Jun 22, 2018 at 1:28 PM

Tsunki, just for you as I know you love Reggae so much:

I killed the NUFC Blog
    But I did not kill the Twitter feed…

• Oldgit1

Jun 22, 2018 at 1:31 PM

Can’t see anything happening in the buying of players until Chelsea management position is filled. I can see Rafa holding on as I believe he may want a couple of players on top of Kenedy.

Re Spennymoor Town football team, have announced they have signed a player that led a team in the Europa Cup. They won’t announce who it is until July 1st so it’s a guessing game at the moment. I’m going for Steven Taylor, any other suggestions? on here would be appreciated. At least it won’t be an ex Sunderland player.

• bettyswallocks

Jun 22, 2018 at 1:35 PM

Jail……. from previous -: Jib’s legendary linguistic skills are useful for translating foreign articles and getting to the heart of the meaning with his understanding of local dialects etc.

He is outstanding in his field and that is where he should be ; Out standing in his field.

He really needs to be careful that his brains don’t go to his head.

• RobLeenio

Jun 22, 2018 at 1:50 PM

Oldgit “Because it’s quiet re our club I have a feeling in my water that perhaps club is going to be sold, or is it wishful thinking.”

I’ve been saying the same on here. Nobody has specifically contradicted me, but you’re the first I’ve seen to publicly post anything similar.

I also think that there have been transfer dealings going on in the background, at least deals in principle, which will be announced when the ownership deal is sorted.

Ozyakup and Kenedy have been linked with very few (if any) other clubs recently, despite being at least theoretically available and the Chronicle has stopped reporting on them. Other players too. Very odd, like there’s a big news black hole over SJP at the moment, stories get so far, pass an event horizon and are not seen again, very strange.

• bettyswallocks

Jun 22, 2018 at 2:03 PM

Rob Leenio………. I still think Ashley would like to sell at the right price as he realises he will never be accepted up here now unless he sanctions a huge spending spree which is never going to happen.

There may well be discussions taking place but Jib seemed to think that the Season Ticket situation would have remained the same if we were close to a sale .

• geordietom

Jun 22, 2018 at 2:08 PM

RobLeenio and oldgit … iv’e got a feeling in me water that there is something going on behind the scenes … be it the clubs been sold … players lined up to sign on for the club … but i recon with the so called news blackout from the club Rafa ect there’s summat in the offing anyway … one things for sure i think we will find out soon

• DubaiMicky

Jun 22, 2018 at 2:11 PM

RobLeenio, I said a few days ago that we’d have a new owner before the start of the new season, weirdly no-one disagreed with me either (just after the Chronic piece by Neil in Dubai).

• RobLeenio

Jun 22, 2018 at 2:23 PM

bettys, I’m not sure – I think that was business as usual. I can’t comment because I don’t have a season ticket, but were they not discounted for the Champo season and this latest rise is just putting them back to near where they would have been if not for the discount?

Tom, Micky – fingers crossed. I’ve never known such utter silence from the club, even since the chubby one took over. This feels….. different, particularly as Rafa seems complicit.

No quotes welcoming Dubs to the club from the Manager was very strange

• magic hat

Jun 22, 2018 at 2:25 PM

Yesterday I posted this list: which is how the senior squad will look on the 30th of this month with no transfers and just the the released players.

It’s a pretty huge squad and a lot of people to sell or send out on loan before we even consider bringing more in.
    I think we are under a media embargo on something’s until then when the money and players in out will start to become clear.
    Total senior players 28
    U21 players not included.
    Goal keepers 4 (u21 not included)
    Woodman u21

Joselu
    Mitrovic
    Armstrong (u21)
    Toney

• DubaiMicky

Jun 22, 2018 at 2:28 PM

More repeats on here than the bbc…

• Tosun A. Wobbler

Jun 22, 2018 at 2:39 PM

More repeats than my Friday night Biryani. 🙂 🙂

• Munster Mag

Jun 22, 2018 at 2:51 PM

No new players and a new owner wud be fine by me

• Ron Knee

Jun 22, 2018 at 3:04 PM

Well, that was an effortless win for Brazil.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 22, 2018 at 3:08 PM

Munster,
    Who do you think should have the final say on transfers?

• RobLeenio

Jun 22, 2018 at 3:10 PM

Jail, from a neutral point of view, your constant poking at Munster is bordering on harassment. You’re like a dog with a bone.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 22, 2018 at 3:17 PM

RobLeenio,
    I think it’s a perfectly valid question relating to Munsters post that Rafa’s spending?scouting needs to be checked, by who exactly?

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 22, 2018 at 3:18 PM

Or would you prefer me to talk about druids?

• jazzyp

Jun 22, 2018 at 3:19 PM

Robleenio

So to could Jibs constant winding up and belittling of fellow members of the blog. But he gets away with it everyday

• Lascelles sells sea shells by the sea shore

Jun 22, 2018 at 3:24 PM

As you guys have been saying about a takeover, i am thinking quite the opposite which will hopefully spark a decent discussion without getting blackballed! 🙂

My reasons for thinking he is staying (Ashley) is because the prices have risen and there hasn’t been much fanfare from the fans regarding this from what I’ve been reading. I think this might be a Rafa idea that has been approved to allow possibly an increase in the salary restrictions. I think (hope?) we may see a couple of marquee signings because of this, there may well be money to spend and I think Rafa will be allowed to spend it, I see the silence on his part as a positive as he isn’t the type of man you can put a gagging order on, no matter how the powers that be try, I believe the guy is enjoying a very well earned rest with his family as when he resumes he doesn’t relent much, he is probably locked in a futuristic room somewhere downloading every little thing from the world cup into that amazing footballing brain of his such is his passion for the beautiful game… If there was something to worry about I think he would let us know… Now if there was something to get excited about the cat would still be in the bag… He’s very good at dealing under the radar!

Some might say that is the definition of blind faith though!!! Haha

• The next Mike Williamson

Jun 22, 2018 at 3:38 PM

I hope Chelsea sell half their squad and blow it on sup-par Italians who only look good against worse Italians. I’ve said it before but most Italians flop badly in England. Southampton have blown millions on players who looked good in Italy and only Pelle was good.