Rafa Has A Tough Decision To Make On This Player

The Chronicle are reporting today that Sevilla are now interested in signing 21-year-old Newcastle midfielder  Mikel Merino who wants first team football next season.

Sevilla are now the fourth club interested in signing the player we bought from Borussia Dortmund for £7M last summer,

Real Sociedad seem to be in the lead for Merino and have reportedly offered £10M for him with Real Betis and Athletic Bilbao also interested.

Rafa Benitez doesn’t want to lose the talented player, but the manager also does not want to keep any player on Tyneside who would rather be somewhere else.

Mikel Merino – wants first team football next season

It would be a blow if Newcastle were to lose the young Spaniard since he showed in the first part of last season that he is a terrific young player.

But Merino doesn’t want to sit on the bench at Newcastle either, as he did at Borussia Dortmund before he arrived on Tyneside.

With Shelvey and Diame holding down the two central midfield positions Merino started only one game since January, and sometimes didn’t even make the matchday squad of 18.

If Benitez does finally let Merino leave he will not allow the deal to go through until Newcastle have brought in a replacement for Merino.

And Rafa will want more than 10M for the Spanish U21 International, and that prove difficult for the Spanish clubs after him.

Sevilla manager Pablo Machin wants to bring in a midfielder and a center-back this summer, and he is targeting Newcastle’s Florian Lejeune.

There’s just no way Rafa will allow Lejeune to leave the club this summer with Lejeune looking excellent in the second half of the season at the back for Newcastle.

We hope that Merino will finally agree to stay to fight for his place at Newcastle next season.

As we said, it would be a blow if we lose the 21-year-old playmaker.

But there again Rafa will only keep players at Newcastle who want to be here.

What do you think?

• Harley

Jun 22, 2018 at 9:46 AM

Why are the prices touted for our players so low?!!! You can have Merino for £20m or eff off. Who are we going to get to replace him for less than £20m?

• Moonraker15

Jun 22, 2018 at 9:49 AM

Rafa won’t shirk at making a decision about Merino if he thinks it’s right for the club. Personally I don’t think Merino is powerful enough for the role in the Premier League, but what do I know?
    If Rafa has to wheel and deal on a small budget again like last season I’m afraid he will leave at the end of his contract. This is a big worry with Pardew out of work, as I can see Ashley hiring him again!

• Mister Tuff

Jun 22, 2018 at 10:01 AM

Rob/Jail – as far as the competition goes so far – mission accomplished. Max points in the bag – cannot do any better than that. My point (speculative) based on what I saw the other night is that beyond the group stage we are going to have to be playing a lot better and I’m wondering where the higher level is coming from.
    If everyone plays at max potential who knows – but just my speculation at this early juncture. Will be prepared to eat humble pie if required.

• hibbit

Jun 22, 2018 at 10:02 AM

Moonraker15

god forbid that ever happening,
    but if it did i think it would be the straw that broke the camel’s back for a lot of fans

• Ron Knee

Jun 22, 2018 at 10:03 AM

Moonraker

Moyes is free – I think.

• DubaiMicky

Jun 22, 2018 at 10:15 AM

I can’t see pards accepting the job anyway, we knew he was despised, he won’t dare come back.

• JohnJ

Jun 22, 2018 at 10:17 AM

I’d be sad to see Mikel Merino leave but if he’s insisting he wants away then we need to get the very best price for him and make sure we include a good sell on percentage! 🙂

• switch365

Jun 22, 2018 at 10:19 AM

It’s hard to believe anything written with regards to transfers these days. Someone blogs a piece of fiction and before you know it, it’s cast iron fact. Truth is, agents spinning webs of lies annually to make even more cash along with papers bereft of any true news worthy material leads to rumour, speculation and bullshit. A few pre pubescent idiots tweet about how Rafa ‘must’ do this or how they are furious cause he’s going to do that. Then all of a sudden the whole Toon army are for or against something, according to some sites.
    As far as I’m concerned, if something’s happening either a player leaving or arriving, I’ll believe it’s not 100% made up, when they’re having a medical.

• Moonraker15

Jun 22, 2018 at 10:22 AM

Dubai
    Pardew has such an ego and would consider his spell here a success by his standards, so it wouldn’t surprise me. He would be the final straw fo me though; in fact if Ashley forces Rafa to leave that would do it for me anyway. Rafa loves this club and I think he would happily make it his last job if the circumstances were right.

• sphinxhunter

Jun 22, 2018 at 2:00 PM

Moonraker, I am with you. One more year to enjoy Rafa’s magic keeping some interest in the game going, then at the end of the year, probably with a creditable mid-table finish, it’ll be cheers and tears as Rafa goes and then so do I. I will have to put the NUFC gear into storage until Ashley is finally gone, but I don’t see that happening, the EPL is too much of a cash-cow and advertising platform for him to let go.