Jose Enrique’s Extended Interview On His Rare Cancer Condition

Here is an extended interview with Jose Enrique that he has given after he revealed he has been fighting brain cancer for about a month now.

Jose will now have to undergo radiation treatment to kill off any remaining cancer in the brain – he has 35 treatments scheduled and they can be very intense with significant side effects.

The cancer is what’s known as a chordoma and treatments exist and complete recovery is also possible.

Jose Enrique – while at Newcastle in 2011

Here’s the extended interview as given to Marca and the Chronicle and other newspapers have also published his comments today:

“We were meeting with Chris Hughton, coach of the Brighton who I know from my time at Newcastle, and that night I was beginning to be troubled by pains, I arrived at the hotel and thought they were migraines.”

“During the night I had a brutal headache and the next morning I started to see blurry, then I started to see double.”

“I had my eyes open and I saw double, I had to go to the emergency room and after nine hours there I had a CT scan and they sent me to see neurologists.”

“The tests indicated that I had a problem – I was sent to St. George’s Hospital in London immediately, specializing in neurology and I spent two nights there.”

“It is a tumor located in a complicated area of the head – it is very rare and unusual. it was located behind the eye, that is why I now wear a patch,”

“It was a complex surgery, Dr. Simal and his team operated on me last week.”

“I went into the operating room at 9 in the morning and I left at 6 in the afternoon, the tumor was stuck to the artery and it was a complicated intervention.”

“The surgeons did an exceptional job. I was in the ICU for 24 hours and I am very grateful for the work of Dr. Simal and his medical team.”

“They were the worst days of my life I stayed in bed for five days without moving.”

“There are only four machines in Europe (that exist for the radiation therapy he must now undergo).”

“My options are to go to Zurich or Paris and I will have to receive 35 sessions,”

“I will be about a month and a half away from although that is the least of it, I just want to get well,”

Jose is in for a tough several weeks of treatment and we wish him all the very best and a full recovery from his condition.

• OneAlanShearer

Jun 23, 2018 at 10:28 AM

Good luck Jose, all the very best to you in your fight.

• DubaiMicky

Jun 23, 2018 at 10:37 AM

(Bus moved)

Just been sent this on Twitter, dunno who wrote it but….

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jun 23, 2018 at 10:52 AM

A blank canvas with a square DubaiMicky

• AncientC

Jun 23, 2018 at 10:56 AM

ronaldo aarons

Jun 22, 2018 at 11:31 PM

Get French Football News
    @GFFN
    Arsène Wenger: “Shaqiri is not a good defender, he is a midfielder who does not like to defend, he is a number 10. I see problems there for Switzerland to stop the left-side of Brazil.” (BeIN)

¶ Imagine if Pardew had an ounce of the sense that Wenger has, maybe things would have turned out very differently for Ben Arfa.

• DubaiMicky

Jun 23, 2018 at 10:56 AM

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jun 23, 2018 at 11:01 AM

Thoughts are with you Jose. One of the finest LBs to ever don the black and white stripes. Get well soon buddy

• Average_Contents

Jun 23, 2018 at 11:10 AM

Get well soon the bull.

Still laugh at him having to go in goal against us

• Lindisfarne

Jun 23, 2018 at 11:12 AM

Micky

No transfers?! The only way that would happen is if Penfold fails to actually sell any players. There should also be at leasta small budget available, even after the cooked books attempting to paint the worst of situations.

• Lindisfarne

Jun 23, 2018 at 11:17 AM

However, our problem will be attracting the right type of player. Especially since the wage demands of the usual mercenary are beyond the willingness of the club. Do i remember rightly that we were one off the highest clubs to pay agents recently?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jun 23, 2018 at 11:28 AM

One of the obstacles will also be the way we priorities our signings…

Will we spend half the window chasing a player that won’t come or spend most of our budget on a potential great player in a position that’s not a dying need…

• Bambams

Jun 23, 2018 at 11:34 AM

I wonder if Ash is now taking back his loan to us and is hiding this from Rafa by stating the debt was so huge from relegation and there is little to spend.

Then in a couple of years he sells the club at 275 million but has already recouped 125 million….

That’s as long as we don’t get relegated AGAIN.

I just never believe anything the greedy man says and no way will he sell us until he has made a huge profit.

Imo

• Tosun A. Wobbler

Jun 23, 2018 at 11:38 AM

Poor old Joselu gets some pelters but personally I don’t see him as a BAD footballer. He’s just not the striker he was brought in to be. As a £5m makeweight I think he’s ok.

• Tosun A. Wobbler

Jun 23, 2018 at 11:39 AM

….tin hat on!

• Tsunki

Jun 23, 2018 at 11:41 AM

It’s laughable that the discussion rages on about whether to keep Gayle or hold on to Mitrovic….surely we should be talking about serious upgrades on these. I for one doubt that If Benitez was scouting the world cup for a striker Mitrovic wouldn’t even make his third choice list.

• Tsunki

Jun 23, 2018 at 11:42 AM

Oh and apologies to Jib for impinging on his sensibilities regarding the impeachable honesty of all involved in FIFA. Hope it didn’t knock your confidence in their integrity. 🙂

• Tsunki

Jun 23, 2018 at 11:43 AM

Impeachable? Impeccable.

• Tsunki

Jun 23, 2018 at 11:47 AM

Tosun I just don’t think there was anything else available that fitted the bill for £5m available. Why anyone would think Benitez would deliberately earmark a frugal £5m for a critical player at a critical point in our season I don’t know. But this and the .itrovic thing and the Sels/Gamezs are all being trotted out to complain about why we got promoted first time of asking and finished 10th in the PL. Strange agenda some have.

• Tsunki

Jun 23, 2018 at 11:49 AM

I’d bet if we made second place next year that one of Benitezs less successful purchases would be dragged forward to prove why we failed to get first place

• c-dog

Jun 23, 2018 at 12:09 PM

Selling another star asset and not Adding to the 12 players for £10million or over we have signed in our history would be criminal

• Tsunki

Jun 23, 2018 at 12:15 PM

Who is the star asset?

• Jib

Jun 23, 2018 at 12:19 PM

Rafa has offered Juventus 12M euros for Stefano Sturaro
    Juve want 20M they’ll probably settle at 16M

• jazzyp

Jun 23, 2018 at 12:22 PM

Serbia or the Swiss wouldn’t beat Brenford or Millwall or Shef Utd… I’m still giggling at that comment.
    Absolute blog classic

• c-dog

Jun 23, 2018 at 12:32 PM

What other player do we have show casing his ability on the biggest stage in football?

• Moonraker15

Jun 23, 2018 at 12:52 PM

Get well soon Jose! It was a sad day when you left us for Bindippers but who could blame you?