It Will Be Sad And Disappointing If This Player Leaves Newcastle

We really hate to see a good young player with enormous potential leave the club, but that seems what could happen this summer with Mikel Merino, who turned 22 last Friday.

Mikel made a great start to his career last August, but this year he could hardly get into the side with Mo Diame and Jonjo Shelvey in really top form.

Mikel is young but doesn’t seem to want to wait for another season at Newcastle; he wants first-team football to continue his development.

But he still played 25 times for Newcastle last season with one goal – so that’s not bad at all.

But news from Spain today that Real Sociedad want to sign the player this week and Marca is reporting this week could be decisive in Sociedad’s pursuit of the box to box midfielder.

Mikel Merino – playing for Spanish U21 side

We still don’t know how serious the clubs are in Spain and whether they have the money to sign the Spaniard, who cost us £7M from Borussia Dortmund last summer.

For instance, there was news in the last couple of days that Athletic Bilbao will not be bidding for the Spanish U21 International.

Rafael Benitez rates Mikel Merino highly and wants to keep him at the club.

Here is some of what the manager said about Merino late last season as reported today in the Shields Gazette:

“I think he was unlucky with that injury and also Jonjo and Diame were playing much better.”

“We have to understand that when you talk about players in the same position – we can say ‘Merino is really good, better than Shelvey’, but if we’ve had words about that, it means something is right, because both are good players.”

“But when one is so bad that nobody’s talking about him, something is wrong.”  “In this case, we are lucky enough to have Isaac Hayden, Mikel, Jonjo Shelvey and more (Mohamed Diame), because all of them can play.”

“When the team is playing well, I don’t think there’s a massive difference between one or the other one.”

“They are different in terms of characteristics, but the team could do well with one or the other one.”

Interesting comments and insights there from Rafa who will want to keep his compatriot on Tyneside.

There’s also a good chance the Spanish clubs after him will be unwilling to pay what Rafa wants for the player – maybe over £15M?

It will be high especially when Rafa does not want to sell one of his very best young players whose contract still has four years to run.

We have to have players leave the club this summer to cut down on the wage bill and make room in the squad for incoming players.

But not one of our best young players.

• Munster Mag

Jun 25, 2018 at 12:31 PM

Anyone else a bit concerned re Rafa silence? I guess he is on well overdue hols. But he wanted early signings I think…?

• cyprus

Jun 25, 2018 at 12:43 PM

Watching the WC like the rest of us 🙂

• hibbit

Jun 25, 2018 at 12:44 PM

Munster Mag
    i believe Rafa and his coaches are back at benton this morning

• Dagwoodz

Jun 25, 2018 at 12:54 PM

Bus ran me over…repost from previous thread:

Not sure if RLC is the answer to what we need. I haven’t honestly watched him too much, so forgive me if the question is a little naive. Would he be able to function as a 10 in front of Shelvey and Diame?

• lochinvar

Jun 25, 2018 at 12:55 PM

If Rafa and the coaches are back at Benton this morning why isn’t Jib there with his camera or is he still on holiday ? Slacker.

Maybe Ashely’s got them in to do some routine maintenance work and painting the building to spruce it up for Amanda’s inspection of what she’s buying.

Sunstroke can affect your thinking.
    Other lifestyle choices can as well.

• martoon

Jun 25, 2018 at 12:55 PM

I would like to see Merino tried in the number 10 role if he stays – I’m pretty sure that’s where he plays for Spain? I know Perez currently has the shirt but we could try him there in some of the pre-season friendlies just to see how he plays there!

• Tsunki

Jun 25, 2018 at 12:57 PM

In other words, if the lad thinks he can improve in the premier league, he needs to get his head down and crack on. Otherwise he can bail.

• RobLeenio

Jun 25, 2018 at 12:58 PM

Dagz, I’m not sure myself how he would fit into the team, but he’s a quality player and surely we could find a way to integrate him.

I don’t know if he’s ever played number 10 specifically

• Sav

Jun 25, 2018 at 1:00 PM

Suspicious this could be B.S. or La Liga hubris because of the low price quoted. The germs s doubled their money selling to us.As our most promising young prospect now proven in the Prem, it is unthinkable we would not do the same. If the kid is determined to go, so be it, but on our terms. And why Sociedad reckon they.must have every Basque player is pretty screwball. What next, a team of Geordie? Nice idea but not going to happen. Not surprised if this is some Basque blogger’s wet dream.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 25, 2018 at 1:00 PM

Aye,
    It’s about time we heard from Rafa.
    RobLeenio,
    The whole multiple thing has almost caused the ruination of the blog with carl and his many aliases being the biggest culprit. Who cares who Jib used to be you say. The poster Jeff from Benwell started using this blog solely to have a go at what he saw as an anti Ashley clique. He was so obnoxiously offensive he ended up with a lifetime ban. He appeared not long after as Jib, anyone can say geet lush, coupled with sayings from Clockwork Orange, abusing Jesper in his own language via Google translate, and being an orrible so and so.

• Tsunki

Jun 25, 2018 at 1:02 PM

Rob – I understand where you are coming from if you haven’t seen much blog history and it’s good to stick up for the unfairly maligned but in this case unless you were around and witnessed Jeff from Benwells controversial style – which got him banned – you probably won’t appreciate why other regular posters get annoyed by the obvious presence of an identity Dodger who now spends his time with his toes just behind that red line of controversy that got him pulled.

There are posters who say “who cares” about multiple identities – well nobody really does – as long as all their identities behave reasonably decently with it.

• Sav

Jun 25, 2018 at 1:02 PM

That should be ‘German side’ and ‘Geordies’

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 25, 2018 at 1:02 PM

Meant to say that he brought all his old battles with him.

• Tsunki

Jun 25, 2018 at 1:04 PM

That’s the important point about why some get irritated with these miscreant multiples, it would appear they are quite willing to upset and ruin the whole tone of the blog for their entertainment. Not something that should be just left to slide imho.

• DubaiMicky

Jun 25, 2018 at 1:07 PM

If we sold him for anything less than £15m we’d be showing a loss, after all the package paid to him and his agents.

• Jib

Jun 25, 2018 at 1:08 PM

Jail for Ashley
    The whole multiple thing has almost caused the ruination of the blog .

Really !!!

Do explain further oh wise one

• Jib

Jun 25, 2018 at 1:13 PM

The chaps are back at Benton next Monday
    2 July
    I’m pretty sure Rafa will call a presser that day

• Jib

Jun 25, 2018 at 1:18 PM

AncientC Thinks JIB
    stands for Jeff in Benwell
    I’m fairly sure he was called
    Jeff from Benwell

• Bobbybee

Jun 25, 2018 at 1:19 PM

Does Jeff from Benwell still post? When I asked why the fuss about Carl etc etc I was told it wouldn’t matter if he just stuck to one person.
    Why Does it matter then? I’ve been in here years now and never seen Jeff from Benwell post. Jimmy Smith changed his name. And?
    This is about personal vendetta and nothing more. And it’s tedious.
    If somebody says something offensive by all means pull them up. But this constant dragging up the past is anal. Let it go ffs

• RobLeenio

Jun 25, 2018 at 1:27 PM

Bobby, my point entirely.

I’ve been reading this blog about 18 months regularly, posting around 6 months and the number of new contributors who keep on posting beyond a few weeks is very low. I think at least part of the problem is that new bloggers often get accused of being re-badged hated figures from the blog’s dim and distant past.

Or they get shouted at by Jib for being thick (I never said that he was perfect).

• Oldgit1

Jun 25, 2018 at 1:30 PM

So merino has a release clause of £10_5 million. Explains a lot.
    This guy was never going to settle here.

• hibbit

Jun 25, 2018 at 1:45 PM

Oldgit1

have you got a link to that story ??

• JP...from The Rock

Jun 25, 2018 at 1:46 PM

Who was the twat that inserted a £10.5m release clause in his contract!?? FFS DON’T WE EVER LEARN!? I really hope we can at least put a sell on clause on him as he will no doubt be worth triple in a couple of years! Incompetent transfer dealings done by us once again!

• DaveD1000

Jun 25, 2018 at 1:47 PM

Shields GAzzette Hibbit

• Bobbybee

Jun 25, 2018 at 1:48 PM

Rob, I’d like to think it would stop when the season starts but history reminds me it won’t.
    Jib can be offensive to some people, but most of the time I think he’s joking – he just pushes the border a bit. When he does he gets shot down and that’s fair enough.
    Whether he ever was Jeff from Benwell we’ll never truly know, but Jeff no longer posts… Jib does.
    Anyway, i was gonna talk football but this is gonna drag on so I’m out of here.
    Please lads, let it go. You said you’d accept Carl etc if he stuck to one person. Jeff is dead and buried – RIP. Jib is one person, warts and all. In the greater scheme of things it simply doesn’t matter. If he annoys you ignore him. I regularly skip by certain posters, without bothering to read what they say. It really is quite, simple. 🙂

• martoon

Jun 25, 2018 at 1:50 PM

When I joined the blog I caught the tail end of Jeff from Benwell and he was pretty offensive. I understand both sides of the argument in that it can be tiresome for old arguments to be constantly dragged up but some are justified like Ian/carl/Pushy/Rebecca suddenly popping up to have a dig at Jail for no reason. Whether Jib is Jeff I don’t know – sometimes I think he is and then other times I don’t but personally I’ve always got on OK with Jib and he can be quite entertaining and informative. A couple of times in my opinion he has crossed the line between being abrasive and abusive and I’ve told him so. He has apologised and we move on but as I’ve said before this is a blog, we don’t know each other so it is not worth getting upset over – there is enough sh*t in real life to worry about!

• RobLeenio

Jun 25, 2018 at 1:53 PM

Geordie-john, are you for real? You think I’m scoffing at the accent / area? When I said the entire North Shields area, I meant the coastal area / riverside area from Wallsend all the way to Whitley Bay, including where I’ve lived for 18 years. My kids go to one of the schools you mentioned, my wife went to John Spence.

My wife uses that phrase, as I already said, especially when with her friends from school who all still live in the area too. I said it was endemic, that means it’s widely used, not anything derogatory.

Just for clarity, my wife’s friends include a Primary Head Teacher, a Senior Grade Nursing Sister and her, a senior teacher who could have been Head if she could put up with the bull. They’ve done well for themselves but when they get together the slang has a habit of coming out, which is great as far as I’m concerned.

Jeez, honestly, pull your head back in

• jazzyp

Jun 25, 2018 at 1:58 PM

That’s all good if ya not on the end of constant belittlement to the point where you don’t want to post no more.
    It’s ok sat behind a computer being nothing more than a keyboard warrior winding fellow members up all day with abuse.Personally Edd should have done something long ago about some posters on here

• The next Mike Williamson

Jun 25, 2018 at 2:02 PM

I think people will find whatever they want if they look closely enough which they evidently do. Just look at the history of God/ religion or overly suspicious girls (all girls). Even when proven beyond doubt people hold onto their beliefs and even get more vehement. Those end of the earth cults somehow get stronger beliefs after the date passes.

It seems natural to suspect all the posters you dislike as being one (makes it easier for us) and there’s a few on here i won’t mention who are so stupid I’ve often thought it’s one big idiot, especially as the ones i’m thinking of always seem to appear at the same time to back each other up. But it’s much more likely just two or three plonkers with similar views, backgrounds, bad grasp of english and schoolyard humour and I just imagine they appear together because they sometimes do. I wouldn’t trust my own suspicions on these matters so I’d save myself the bother and drop them knowing I’ll find whatever ‘evidence’ I want anyway.

By the way, which other way is there to spell geet lush?

• Tsunki

Jun 25, 2018 at 2:03 PM

Well ok then if you don’t like the arguments about who is or isn’t a multiple then why not just ignore it?

To those of us who are offended by Jeff and then offended further by the same person circumventing being banned by Ed for lying, it is still an issue for as long as he denies the obvious. You might be ok tolerating troublemakers and liars. Ok then.

And someone please let’s see the evidence of all these intimidated posters who darent type because they’re afraid of being called a naughty multiple.

• DaveD1000

Jun 25, 2018 at 2:03 PM

its leaked over the water Rob…..my nephews and nieces in the Felling over in the heed are wont to throw in a geet lush now and again

• magscar

Jun 25, 2018 at 2:04 PM

I have suffered from this multiple thing having been accused by one regular repeatedly of being one of Carl’s pseudonames. Despite my repeatedly denying it and seeing how an oft repeated accusation sticks to a poster and after not one other poster ( before Bobby and Robleenio) gave me any support I was forced to demand said poster withdrew accusations or I would go to Ed. Bring on plenty of support – NO just don’t be childish!

There remains a hardcore of posters from years ago who stick by each other and rarely others but revel in this multiple thing. Last year I had to point out that the “outing” of an infrequent poster ( Oldgit1 I think and no not a poster I usually agree with) was incorrect and showed easily that he had posted years ago. One of his accusers apologised the other who had gleefully joined the accusation did not but no surprise there.

Either report these multiples to Ed with evidence or give us all a break

• Oldgit1

Jun 25, 2018 at 2:08 PM

Merino has a transfer clause, Mito is demanding to leave saying he will not play for Newcastle again, this shows who have the power over clubs and their supporters.
    About time players and agents were brought back into line, greedy bastards.

Gone are the days where players were grateful for a living and not trying to screw the supporters, for what, kicking a ball around.

I have more respect for the armed forces who put their life on the line. Watching players in the World Cup rolling around after being touched disgusts me. I hate the cheaters. Players earning over 100k -350k annoys me, Slowly losing interest in this level of football.
    Football will lose the heart of supporters soon and deservedly so. The tv packages balloon will burst perhaps not in my lifetime but it will.

• The next Mike Williamson

Jun 25, 2018 at 2:09 PM

that’s what those types of people are aiming for jazzy. i remember these types of dunce from school. seems a strange way to get your kicks.

And even if Jib and JFB are the same person which they may be, any credence to the theory is made to look stupid by the jib/ jane comments. This just makes it seem like the whole duplicate accusation is nothing more than a immature weapon to try to undermime and get under the skin of two ‘Ashley apologists,’ hoping they’ll lose their cool so you can score some points.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 25, 2018 at 2:09 PM

It’s really “disappointing” if it’s him pushing for the move, lots of players have to spend time on the bench and should be prepared to fight for their place. If he hasn’t got the bottle to do that then the sooner he’s gone the better and good riddance if that’s his gripe.

As for the Jib debate, I couldn’t care less what name he uses, if indeed he does, if I find something offensive I’d just ignore it.

Although I reckon a lot of his comments are very much tongue in cheek.

• magscar

Jun 25, 2018 at 2:09 PM

Tsunki

I took a sojourn from Blog for over 6 months in 2016/17 as I was sick of the tirade from some on here. Having dipped my toe in water just over 12 months ago and having found things had improved I did begin reading and then contributing again but not without a slap on the wrist from AncientC for having commented that I found the Blog more to my liking.

Mind I don’t suppose I count as not one of the “in crowd” 😉

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 25, 2018 at 2:15 PM

I think you’ll find that Sharon and Tracey use the term a lot, so it has probably spread to many distant parts.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 25, 2018 at 2:17 PM

magscar

I wouldn’t worry about not being one of the “in crowd” there’s plenty of us “out crowders” on here! 🙂

• JP...from The Rock

Jun 25, 2018 at 2:21 PM

Man we really need a good signing ASAP to uplift the Toon and so we can start talking football again lol

• JP...from The Rock

Jun 25, 2018 at 2:23 PM

Talking about football, this time the World Cup; am I the only one that wants Harry Kane to be a success but not too much of a success so he doesn’t surpass Alan Shearer’s Premier League Goals record?? Lol