Newcastle Fans Divided On Awkward Mikel Merino Situation

Newcastle officials say they were almost forced by Mikel Merino’s representatives to put a release clause in his Newcastle contract.

The release clause is set at around £12M and it seems Borrusia Dortmund also demanded a sell-on clause inserted into Merino’s contract.

Newcastle fans are divided on the Merino situation.

Some fans point out that if he not willing to stay and fight for his place then he should probably leave.

Some think Newcastle have made a big mistake in putting those clauses in his contract and even appear to be naive.

Those fans who rate Mikel think it will be a huge loss for the club.

And those who do not rate Mikel wonder what all the fuss is about.

Rafa Benitez congratulates Mikel Merino

Here are some of the tweets sent in by Newcastle fans on the Merino situation – which seems messy.

• Belfast

Jun 25, 2018 at 4:48 PM

Basically as soon as this guy lost his place in the team he was looking to move on. Really shite attitude if you ask me. Cheerio!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 25, 2018 at 4:49 PM

magscar

Did you get any response to your email to the club, I would suspect not.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jun 25, 2018 at 4:51 PM

I think Merino has been slightly overrated his performances were decent but he had a lot of games where he has looked off the pace and lost the ball constantly!!? He played well when it was him and Hayden together for that spell of games but when Shelvey and Diame came into form it showed how far away he was from the level required

Hayden is another hes 22/23 now he was great in the championship but needs to step it up this season as well

• Belfast

Jun 25, 2018 at 4:53 PM

Don’t think you can really blame the club here either. His representatives probably would have said X amount release clause or he doesn’t sign the contract.

• AncientC

Jun 25, 2018 at 4:53 PM

From Previous. EGB, Palace likely still owe money for Townsend. https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/20/newcastle-andros-townsend-crystal-palace

Taken from the 4th paragraph down when Townsend was linked with a return on loan.

“Palace are due to pay the next £3m instalment due to Newcastle this month but it is understood that could become a loan fee, with the Championship side paying £10m in the summer to make the deal permanent.”

It could have been £4 million upfront, then £3 million for another 3 seasons. Something like that, at a guess.

• santon3

Jun 25, 2018 at 4:59 PM

I think this slow movement on transfers due to Rafa need to get as much as possible from sales first as well as managing wage bills to operate within budget before new purchases to be made. I think it’s reasonable since we don’t have budget like PSG, city or manutd.

I don’t mind getting HBA back.

• Bobbybee

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:08 PM

Interesting piece on transfers that pretty much covers everything we need to know.

• Bobbybee

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:10 PM

Or maybe not! Whoops 🙂

• c-dog

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:12 PM

Transfer season is a great time for the blog. Nothing like giving your opinion on certain incomings/outgoings. Who you’d like to see and who you wouldn’t. We get it right and we get it wrong. As does Rafa but that’s the nature of it. I just hope we splash a bit of cash. It’d be nice to see a big signing. Experience, goal scorer, proven… etc

• Tsunki

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:14 PM

• Tsunki

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:16 PM

Anyhoo on with the blogging. Yes I agree if it’s his attitude he can’t get a game so may as well move on, maybe its just because he isn’t good enough yet and should do some work or go ply his trade in a less stressful league.

• Bobbybee

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:17 PM

Yup, that’s the one.

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:19 PM

What has Kim Jong Ashley got to tell us about his blockbuster moves in the transfer market so far? Here’s a quote I found. We’re hungry and ambitious. We want to put the best possible team on the pitch next season. And we might even have a new head coach! Right then, I’m off for a meat pie and a bottle of champagne…

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:21 PM

And a quote from Lee Chumpley as well. We just couldn’t get anyone over theline! Oh wait, the window hasn’t closed yet has it? Better save my best quotes for then…

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:23 PM

Morons go where others fear to tread. Our glorious leaders are at it again… Huzzah!!!

• bettyswallocks

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:24 PM

I’m all for the Okey Cokey crowd. In , Oot , Shake it arll aboot.

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:25 PM

Lee Chumpley: “now where is that contract for Rafa to sign? Oh no, I’ve got jam on it! Well I’ll cut out the bonus clauses and send it to him later…. Inspired bit of thinking that.”

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:26 PM

I loves a good summer transfer window I do!

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:27 PM

I hear Shefki Kuqi is still available… Right up our alley affordability wise!

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:28 PM

What about a front line of Shola Ameobi and Shefki Kuqi? That will leave a bit of dosh for more champagne!

• santon3

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:30 PM

good article, Bobbybee

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:30 PM

And Faty Papy in the midfield. Good times just around the corner lads….

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:32 PM

With an owner like beefy tits our future is assured!

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:34 PM

We love you Beefy! Boom, boom Boom boom boom!

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:37 PM

11 years of Beefy Tits. Who could have imagined we could be this lucky?

• magscar

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:38 PM

Essex

Ha I would like to say that T got a “geet lush” response but I got more response on here than I did from the club but that’s not saying much 🙂

I suspect that so many others had followed suit that their In box got so clogged up that they couldn’t respond!

• magscar

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:41 PM

Tsunki

The “In Crowd” never like to admit it when the “Out Crowd” are around 😉

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:49 PM

What was Rafa thinking coming to work for us? Beefy will teach him a lesson he’ll never forget….

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:50 PM

The only person that lies more than Kim Jong Ashley is Gomer Trump. Good thing he’s not in the market for a football club…

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:51 PM

Although I hear Russia will lend Gomer the money if Gomer wants to buy us…

• magscar

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:51 PM

Anyway – back into this enjoyable early evening sun to catch up on some reading or maybe gardening.

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:53 PM

Owned by Orange Beefy Tits. Hmmm. Could it be worse than what we’ve got? Yes it could.

• magscar

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:53 PM

….. only joking – still too warm but can hold a book just 🙂

• Tsunki

Jun 25, 2018 at 6:45 PM

Hi G2 – you an “inny” or an “outy”? Just trying to get my bearings

🙂

• lesh

Jun 25, 2018 at 7:06 PM

Give it a couple of weeks and we’ll be seeing the signs of our better prospects looking for off.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 25, 2018 at 7:11 PM

Ancient
    This excerpt from that article is amusing.

“Newcastle have ample cash reserves but Mike Ashley, their owner, has provided Benítez with a rather less generous budget this month than had originally been envisage”

Sound familiar?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 25, 2018 at 7:13 PM

Tsunki

“EGB – I wasn’t lumping you in with anybody but this “in” and “out” crowd I don’t go along with.”

Nor do I, we are all inners and outers! 🙂

• Ron Knee

Jun 25, 2018 at 7:15 PM

What a blunder.

• Ron Knee

Jun 25, 2018 at 7:19 PM

“I’m in with the in-crowd” – Dobie Gray.