27-Year-Old French International Available – But Will Rafa Take The Risk?

French newspaper L’Equipe are reporting that some big clubs are back in for 27-year-old France international Clement Grenier – who we tried to sign four years ago.

Grenier had been at Lyon since 2002 and came through the ranks there, but he moved permanently to Guingamp in January on a free transfer on an 18-month contract.

But there is a danger in signing Grenier because he has had lots of injuries over the last several years although he’s a very good technical player.

Some of his injuries have been very serious, and for example, he injured his abductors in March 2014,  two months after Newcastle were reported to have put in a substantial bid for him.

His recovery was delayed by an infection and Grenier – when finally fit – revealed he was not far from losing the use of his legs.

Clement Grenier – in Guingamp colors this year

While at Guingamp he has impressed in the 15 games he has played with 5 goals and 4 assists.

L’Equipe reports that his encouraging form has had some top clubs interested in signing the player.

The fee could be as little as 3M, and that reduces Newcastle’s risks considerably.

If we can keep Grenier fit then, Rafa can certainly get the very best out of a gifted player.

But his injury record is troublesome; he played 154 games with 18 goals and 28 assists for Lyon over 9 seasons, but he played only 8 times for Lyon over the last two seasons.

Grenier was a terrific player when young and played for all the French Youth sides from U16 through U21, but he has only 5 full caps for France.

The fee is meager, but the question is whether we can keep him fit at Newcastle in the physically demanding world of the Premier League.

It’s a risk, and it would be a bit of a surprise if Newcastle want to take that risk – but you never know.

What do you think?

• Ben Afri

Jun 26, 2018 at 10:42 AM

Martoon
    That crossed my mind too! LOL

• Ben Afri

Jun 26, 2018 at 10:44 AM

Is there any setting that’ll update the page every few seconds or by the minute the way Newsnow does?

Jun 26, 2018 at 10:45 AM

Ed, yeah – it’s a no brainer for me, he’s super talented and cheap and his wages won’t be high.

Bring him in on a two year contract, give him an opportunity to shine and we’ll see what develops. If he’s a perma-crock, then two years is no big deal when we’ve had the likes of Colback, Good and Haidara kicking their heels for much longer.

Jun 26, 2018 at 10:46 AM

Ben Afri, yep – it’s called Ctrl ‘R’

😉

• Bobbybee

Jun 26, 2018 at 10:48 AM

Micky, I’ve been searching but can’t find it, but I’m pretty sure it was the agent who insisted on the release clause. Which shows he was using us as a stepping stone. In which case, frankly he can do one.
    No idea what the fuss is about. He was bang average with the occasional flash of brilliance – but that applies to most players. Going to games I can assure you his movement off the ball was none existent. He lost it and only chased for a few yards, then pulled up.
    Yes, he had potential, but who hasn’t at his age?
    Any player not prepared to knuckle down and fight for his place is a waste of wages. Who did he think he was, demanding to play?
    We’ve got kids in the U23 squad who offer more.

• Ben Afri

Jun 26, 2018 at 10:50 AM

RobLeenio
    LOL, Yes I know about the refresh shortcut. I just wondered if there was a setting that would automatically refresh.

• ronaldo aarons

Jun 26, 2018 at 10:51 AM

Dubai
    Good points but if it was communicated to us when they were trying to make it permanent mid season that we were unable to do so because they wanted to insert low release clause, I would understand and I’d like to think many other fans would too.

I tell you, I’d be great at charnleys role at the club. I can do more than get tea and biscuits which I think was the one an inky requirement for him to get the job in the first place!

Jun 26, 2018 at 10:53 AM

ronaldo, I guess we’ll find out in a few days, but I do hope that I’m right and you’re wrong. To not even have started our transfer business yet would be criminally negligent.

• DubaiMicky

Jun 26, 2018 at 10:54 AM

ronaldo, Specific details of contracts and what players want, especially release clauses will never be made public. I’m just saying isn’t hindsight a wonderful thing.

• Mister Tuff

Jun 26, 2018 at 10:55 AM

Jib Jibberish (aka “geet lush”) for the purposes of accurate grammar I should point out to you that your earlier comment about Merino being born in Basque is not grammatically correct.
    Basque by itself refers to

• ronaldo aarons

Jun 26, 2018 at 10:56 AM

Hibbit
    Yeah, Rafas silence is something worth noting. If he was unhapppy he’d make it known. Just imagine, July the 1st comes around, we hold a press conference. Rafa and 3-4 players are sat in the finally revealed new home kit and Rafa signs a new contract there and then. What a boost that would be. One can dream…

• ronaldo aarons

Jun 26, 2018 at 10:58 AM

Dubai
    Why will they never be made public? I would only think this to be the case if they signed non disclosure agreements or something.

• Mister Tuff

Jun 26, 2018 at 10:58 AM

Cont’d – the Basque language. Should have said Basque Country.

BIT LIKE SAYING a Frenchman was born in French.

• Ben Afri

Jun 26, 2018 at 10:59 AM

Ronaldo Aarons
    It’s a dream worth entertaining!

Jun 26, 2018 at 11:00 AM

Ronaldo, your scenario could happen. I know I’ve banged this drum to death, but consider if we’re in an exclusivity period with a potential new buyer. Club accounts would be essentially frozen, as would valuable assets (ie players) and the club officials would be under restrictions on what they could say.

In such a situation, we’d have no money to buy players, no ability to sell players and we’d be under a communications blackout.

ie, the circumstances would very closely match exactly what we’ve been experiencing for the last 30 days or so.

• cyprus

Jun 26, 2018 at 11:10 AM

Not sure I agree with ‘the likes of colback.’ He helped us quite a bit.

On Merino, we need to learn to smack even bigger release clauses for good prospects.

I guess I’ll be happier when we sign 6 new players 🙂

• ronaldo aarons

Jun 26, 2018 at 11:10 AM

Rob
    If only. I’ve been resigned to the idea of Ashley being here for a few years still. Don’t see him leaving and don’t see anyone paying his asking price.

What you say though does fit to what seems to be going on, except that we have been trying to sell mbemba and sels.

• ronaldo aarons

Jun 26, 2018 at 11:14 AM

On a side note. What does everyone think of ronaldo’s elbow/forearm smack yesterday? I like him but I personally thought he intended to hit him but didn’t connect properly. I saw it as a red. If it had been a certain striker on our books he’d be off, no doubt and it didn’t look too dissimilar to the lanzini incident.

Jun 26, 2018 at 11:15 AM

We may have even sold Mbemba and Sels but are unable to complete on them yet.

Certainly Sels himself has been very quiet on the breakdown of his sale to Anderlecht, which you’d think he would have been upset about if the difference in valuation was only £500k as rumoured.

• Ben Afri

Jun 26, 2018 at 11:19 AM

I think the whole thing with the release clauses comes down to the club’s position. Let’s say we were a Chelsea. Even if Merino’s agent insisted on a release clause, we’d be in a better position to negotiate a much higher release clause. But the position we were in when Merino signed for us was that we were utterly desperate to fill those centre mid slots in case Shelvey, Hayden (who was getting more game time than Diame at the time), and Diame got injured. We couldn’t afford injuries so we may have been forced to accept whatever Merino and his agent were demanding, especially since we were never going to be able to get a player on his level at a better deal.

Jun 26, 2018 at 12:09 PM

ho, hum, so another day with no news, no statements, no movement, no relief to this boredom.

Even the Chronicle must be fed up of inventing stories now.

So, speculation is what we’re left with.

The latest snippet is that Loftus-Cheek is likely to stay at Chelsea and be an important member of their first team squad, which will presumably push Danny Drinkwater further down the pecking order.

I think he could be an excellent, ready made, Rafa-type hard working midfielder who can also spray the ball around like JonJo.

He was excellent in the Leicester City Championship side and could be excellent for us too. Not sure what wages he’d be after though…

Jun 26, 2018 at 12:10 PM

Sorry, I obviously meant the Leicester Premiership winning side….

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 26, 2018 at 12:16 PM

From Nufc.com
    ”More negatively though, the fact that the player is seeking pastures new could be interpreted as his negative assessment of our future direction. In stark terms, he could be the first one in the lifeboat”

Jun 26, 2018 at 12:17 PM

Jail, that’s Niall and Biffa with their cheery heads on again 😉

• martoon

Jun 26, 2018 at 12:20 PM

Tuff @10 – Maybe Jib meant he was born wearing sexy underwear? 😀

Jun 26, 2018 at 12:21 PM

lesh
    Jun 26, 2018 at 10:42 AM
    RobLeenio (from previous thread)
    You’ll bear in mind that the club’s last published accounts cover 2016-2017 and they included a large provision for wages which paints a picture bleaker than it really is.
    A cynic might suggest that the large reported paper loss might be used as an excuse to hide behind FFP rules when restricting spend.
    Not me though, I have faith in everything Ashley’s doing for the club and it’s fans

Yep, this is why I was keen to emphasise that this was the ‘official’ line, not necessarily an accurate depiction of the club’s finances.

Interesting you mention FFP and wages – FFP restricts us from increasing our wage bill in different ways year on year. If we’re to over-report the wage bill then it may be a way for a creative accountant to enable us to actually boost our wage liability further than we otherwise would have been able to do.

Just a thought

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 26, 2018 at 12:24 PM

RobLeenio,
    I think you’re a closet apologist 😉

• Mag52

Jun 26, 2018 at 12:24 PM

My Ingo bingo team for the Belgium match is :

Butland
    Jones, Stones, Dier,
    Alexander-Arnold, Alli, Delph, Rashford, Rose,
    Sterling, Vardy.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 26, 2018 at 12:26 PM

Mag52,
    Do you think he’ll mix it up then, Belgium have said they will, I’d like to think we’ll go full strength.

Jun 26, 2018 at 12:29 PM

Ha ha Jail, genuinely made me smile.

I’m just trying to see things from all angles. Ashley is bad for the club, he’s been bad for the club since he walked through the door, but Rafa is there now and I’m hoping is exerting influence in ways we can’t see.

There’s a flip side to every coin and I’m trying to consider what these may be. Mostly because it’s a quiet day at work and I’m a little bored, but also because I’m trying to get an angle on what’s actually going on with the club

Jun 26, 2018 at 12:40 PM

Southgate has said that the knockout stages will look after themselves and we should do whatever we can to keep the winning momentum

There’s a problem with this though – if we play a strong team, Belgium play a weakened team and we still lose, what does that do to confidence and ‘momentum’?

• Jib

Jun 26, 2018 at 12:42 PM

Mister Tuff
    Basque by itself refers to the Basque language. Should have said Basque Country.
    BIT LIKE SAYING a Frenchman was born in French.

What I said was

Jib
    Merino was born in Nafarroako Foru Komunitatea
    in Basque
    I prefer the Spanish:-
    Navarre

Hands up all those who realised I was saying the place
    name was in Basque

I’m not sure which is greater Mr Tuff
    Your stupidity
    or
    Your Pomposity

• Jib

Jun 26, 2018 at 12:45 PM

I’m praying that the friendly arranged with Porto
    is because we’ve signed Hector Herrera the Mexican
    midfielder.

Rafa has tracked him for ages

Jun 26, 2018 at 12:51 PM

Jib, Herrera’s name came up last night on here. Most agreed he’d be a good signing for us, I thought he may be a little old for the regime and also wondered if his ears would fit on a football pitch with those of Dubravka.

• Jib

Jun 26, 2018 at 12:54 PM

I saw that comment
    I looked at Martins sparking plugs
    They ain’t that big

• Jib

Jun 26, 2018 at 1:03 PM

Jail for Ashley
    From Nufc.com

Niall , Biffa and your good self clearly struggle with logic.

It was Rafa’s not even putting him on the bench for the last 12 games
    that has precipitated Merino’s move.
    If Rafa wasn’t staying Merino probably would.

• lesh

Jun 26, 2018 at 1:16 PM

Rob

Your use of ‘official’ in the context of the accounts and party line, was noted at the time I read your post. Surely you’re not suggesting that Ashley’s trying to pull the wool over our eyes? Nah, never (it says in the NUFC style guide).

And Jib

You’re a little early putting posters down – have you not noticed that Robleenio’s been trying to mitigate any criticism that’s levelled at you?
    Going on the way you are won’t help him at all.