Report – Newcastle Linked With 27-Year-Old Columbia International Striker

Calciomercato are reporting today from Italy that Newcastle are interested in signing Sampdoria’s 27-year-old Columbian International striker Duvan Zapata who has just signed on for Sampdoria from  Napoli.

He was on loan at Sampdoria last season and with Udinese for the two seasons before that.

But his loan deal with Sampdoria last season came with an obligation to buy  – the club must buy him for the agreed to transfer fee – and so he is now a Sampdoria player.

27-year-old Duvan Zapata of Sampdoria – wants to leave the Genoa-based club.

But the striker is now keen to leave the club for pastures new and some Chinese clubs are interested in him as well as Southampton and Newcastle being mentioned as suitors.

Zapata signed on for Napoli back in August 2013 when Rafa Benitez had only just been appointed the manager of the Italian club that summer.

The striker spent his first two years under Rafa Benitez playing for Napoli and in 54 total appearances for the Naples club, he scored 15 goals and had 5 assists.

Rafa will know all about the Columbian International who stands  6ft 3ins in height, but after Rafa left after two years managing Napoli to some success, Zapata was sent out on loan for the last three seasons.

He is now available even though he has just signed a four-year contract with Sampdoria.

One question will be what is the transfer fee his Italian club will be looking for.

Here is a piece from the Calcioomercato report:

“The suitors for Zapata are not lacking.”

“There was talk of an interest in Atalanta and Sporting Lisbon, before the chaos Mihajlovic, but for Duvan other companies would be moving from abroad.

“According to Il Secolo XIX the attacker would be followed by Southampton and Newcastle in the Premier League, but the real news would be that coming from China.”

“Yesterday, in fact, there would have been a decided inclusion of the Jiangsu team owned by Suning, and the negotiations would seem well underway.”

“The future of Zapata, in short, is yet to be resolved between Sampdoria and a possible exotic future.”

“And it prepares a real revolution from the parts of Corte Lambruschini (the area of Genoa where UC Sampdoria is located).”

From those words, it would seem the player is more interested in going for the big bucks that are available these days in China.

What do you think?

• lesh

Jun 27, 2018 at 12:28 PM

Posada (from previous thread)

Newcastle United FC is a corporate body, a legal entity which is entirely owned by Ashley. The club was loaned money by Ashley and it, the club, is in debt to Ashley. Ashley could recall his debt at any time if he wished.

RobLeenio

Not having lived in Newcastle for a few years, is the sight of a helicopter flying over the city so unusual?

• RobLeenio

Jun 27, 2018 at 12:35 PM

lesh, lol no I was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek. It was probably heading for the RVI.

But I promised chopper watch updates this morning and updates is what you all shall have….

• RobLeenio

Jun 27, 2018 at 12:38 PM

Also, I know what you have said is legally spot-on, but I can see posada’s point too – it is somewhat robbing Peter to pay Paul when Ashley gives an interest free loan to another part of his empire, akin to me moving a couple of hundred pounds between different bank accounts

• Optimistic Panda

Jun 27, 2018 at 12:40 PM

Bobby

You’re the expert on gullible, is Tsunki still stalking you?

• RobLeenio

Jun 27, 2018 at 12:54 PM

Interesting chat from Anderlecht in the Mag

Essentially, the Matz Sels deal is kaput, they didn’t reach agreement with NUFC over the fee.

The deal with Mbemba was going ahead, but Porto came in and turned the player’s head with a better wages offer.

The article alleges that Porto haven’t yet agreed a price for Mbemba with NUFC, but this doesn’t make sense as we would have had to give them permission to speak to him so must have already agreed a fee.

So, why has Matz Sels not complained about his deal falling through and why, if the mbemba fee is agreed with Porto and presumably the wage with the player is agreed or he wouldn’t walk away from Anderlecht, has it not been confirmed yet?

Definitely something going on behind the scenes.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 27, 2018 at 1:02 PM

Rob/Posada

I must have said it a billion time by now, as Rob just said he is basically lending money to himself.

There is no separate entity, ie. “The Club” that owes him money, it’s all his.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 27, 2018 at 1:07 PM

Rob, just idle speculation but perhaps it was Mr Ashley’s chopper and it had to be diverted to the RVI for some reason. Such as his hands being too tightly clamped around his wallet and not being able to get them from his pockets.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 27, 2018 at 1:14 PM

Incidentally Rob, well done for your recent support of Jib.

Just cos you happen to find reason to defend a fellow blogger doesn’t suddenly turn you into (can’t remember the exact terms) a sycophant of some kind.

I’ve always subscribed to the Sartre school of thought, although he might not be the originator of the term commonly attributed to him.

• magscar

Jun 27, 2018 at 1:17 PM

Optimistic@4

i think that comment was cheap unnecessary and totally inaccurate use of the term. Plenty posters seem to have resonated with his take and you could merely have disagreed

• magscar

Jun 27, 2018 at 1:18 PM

Essex

As well as sycophants and the Jib allies we also have the apologists what a group we all are

• magscar

Jun 27, 2018 at 1:24 PM

As the Blog is heading back to the trenches think now fog well and truly lifted I will get out in sun. Too hot for digging, grass barely growing so pottering only with some music and/or a book 🙂

• Ron Knee

Jun 27, 2018 at 1:28 PM

Bill

The Absurd and NUFC?

Albert Camus by all accounts was a good goalkeeper.

• RobLeenio

Jun 27, 2018 at 1:38 PM

hibbit, some interesting questions being asked, sadly no interesting answers being given…

Not sure what else Chris Waugh could do, mind – the Chronicle is as much on the outside as the rest of us.

• RobLeenio

Jun 27, 2018 at 1:44 PM

Bill cheers

• hibbit

Jun 27, 2018 at 1:45 PM

RobLeenio

for whatever the reason the club is definitely on lockdown

• RobLeenio

Jun 27, 2018 at 1:48 PM

I was going to mention something witty and excellent from my study of French existentialist literature during my French A Level but honestly can’t remember enough about it….

I’ll have to dig out some Camus and Sartre for a re-read (in English – wouldn’t get near it in French now, I can barely read a menu). Seem to remember L’Etranger was a good read.

• RobLeenio

Jun 27, 2018 at 1:51 PM

hibbit, yep but Jib reckons there is a presser on Monday with Rafa.

Wonder if the club will have anything to say before then or if Rafa will just be thrown to the hounds. No matter how highly regarded he is by us all, I wouldn’t want to be him in that situation just for the sheer volume of awkward questions he’d have to face

• Ron Knee

Jun 27, 2018 at 1:58 PM

Visconti made a good film of it, Rob.

• hibbit

Jun 27, 2018 at 1:58 PM

Bobby
    if there’s even a hint of malpractice it’s time you got some legal advice / guidance

• lesh

Jun 27, 2018 at 1:58 PM

RobLeenio/ Essex/ Posada

Ashley’s possibly personal loan to the club’s probably giving him a tax break somewhere down the line and it’ll probably be secured against whatever assets are left in the club. Yes, agreed, he’s snuggling money about but it’s legal and not in common.

Rob, you carry on with your chopper watch – it may just prove fruitful one day! 🙂

• RobLeenio

Jun 27, 2018 at 2:06 PM

Last word from me on French stuff – nothing to do with footy, but hey…

I once did have a conversation with a Norman farmer on a cliff-top walk in Brittany about French agricultural policy. I surprised myself as these words just came out and my family stared at me with open mouths.

I remember the guy had a cat in a backpack….

• lesh

Jun 27, 2018 at 2:08 PM

RobLeenio

Speaking of existentialists and their words of wisdom……

I think therefore I am (Rene Descartes)

I am therefore I do (Jean Paul Satre)

A doo bee doo bee doo (Frank Sinatra)

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 27, 2018 at 2:16 PM

Lesh

No doubt that there’ll be some very smart accountancy going on in the Ashley empire.

Money at that level is just a commodity to be exploited in any way possible.

• martoon

Jun 27, 2018 at 2:17 PM

I think some posters have eaten a dictionary for breakfast – sycophantic, existentialists – Jib where are you, I need you to do some research? 😀

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 27, 2018 at 2:18 PM

Lesh, funny that, there was quite a deep discussion on Doo waap de dooh recently on the blog. 🙂

• G

Jun 27, 2018 at 2:18 PM

Lesh I thought that last one was Creedence Clearwater Revival? Upon reflection it appears I was thinking of the Oobby Dooby song, which was a cover of the Roy Orbisson classic.

• posada

Jun 27, 2018 at 2:19 PM

Lesh
    Your right and wrong.
    Nufc is a corporate body and a separate legal entity.
    However, it is 100% owned by Ashley.
    So, the debt is technical and not real as far as I am concerned.

Your right again. He could pull in the debt. It’s what some call a Mexican Stand Off. If he did that the club would be worth nowt.

Having said that a certain Ellis Short decided that was the only way to get money out as opposed to selling. Took out all he could then sold the shell for 40M.

That should tell you something. There are no buyers out there for a club in the far North, not even a Prem club with 50,000 plus supporters.
    Certainly not at 200 250 or 320 million.

• posada

Jun 27, 2018 at 2:23 PM

Bobby
    Some years ago I told myself to ignore the politics. Ashley is a business man I said so I will go if it makes sense. If his product is something I like and want to buy.
    Have to say I could not continue with that.
    Better being interested in what is going on. We can do nowt about it, but at least it provides the basis for some craik.

I go anyway. I had no thoughts of giving up my ticket when we were relegated.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 27, 2018 at 2:23 PM

Rob

I had a little chortle at your comment and the French farmer, I find that engaging some local is often an enlightening experience whilst on on a holiday. The missus and I have had some very interesting conversations with total strangers in our perambulations including a French Troubador at the foot of the mountain on which Mon Segur stands. One of the last bastions of the Cathers.

• RobLeenio

Jun 27, 2018 at 2:24 PM

Where do the Doobie Brothers fit into this? If they did a cover, would it be

Doobie a doo bee doo bee doo?

• posada

Jun 27, 2018 at 2:28 PM

Rafa staying and every last penny is the best we can hope for.

There are no Sheiks, Oligarchs or mega rich folks from China.

If there are they will buy a club in the South.

• RobLeenio

Jun 27, 2018 at 2:35 PM

EGB, it’s great to throw yourself in. The guy ended up sharing his pate and baguette with the kids…. I think the cat was a little jealous.

A Cathar French Troubadour, eh? Had you passed through a time portal? I thought they were all pretty much wiped out by the Crusade (French land grab)

Don’t know enough about it though.

• lochinvar

Jun 27, 2018 at 2:52 PM

There’s a bird in the air.
    Heading towards the airport from the west.
    Black with yellow panels – is that the Police ?
    Don’t think its the Air Ambulance.
    Could it be Big Mike at last ?

Hope Jib is on to this. Camera ready in the bushes. Shutter speed 1/250 should do it nicely as it’s a bright day.
    Keep us posted

• RobLeenio

Jun 27, 2018 at 2:55 PM

#chopper watch.

But not the dirty kind….