Here’s Why Rafa Seems In A Reasonable Position With Transfer Funds Available

News today that Rafa Benitez has been discussing in detail with Lee Charnley exactly how much money is available this summer in the transfer market.

It will be complicated because Rafa will need to sell players to fund incoming players.

But that’s not as easy as it sounds because most clubs when they buy a player pay the transfer fee over several years and often over the length of the player’s contract.

So that money will not be instantly available to Rafa – but our assumption is that he can still spend that much.

So if we get £20M for Aleksandar Mitrovic Rafa can spend that £20M – and maybe we pay for that over a number of years and give out a lot of five years deals?

Rafa Benitez – happy after we took Chelsea apart 3-0 in last game

Rafa was hoping for a budget that would help him compete with the top clubs, but that isn’t going to happen – not this summer anyway.

The other complication in these transfer windows is at which stage of the summer will some of our targets be available?

Rafa will not know exactly if Chelsea will sell Kenedy to Newcastle or whether we can sign him on loan for the season – or whether he’s simply not available.

That happened last summer when at the last moment Chelsea manager Antonio Conte decided to keep the player at Chelsea because he was unable to bring in a replacement.

If Rafa can really get £50M plus money from transfers, then that could be a reasonable amount – at least compared to all the other transfer windows Rafa has had at Newcastle.

Let’s say we get £20M for Mitrovic, £15M for Gayle and £8M for Mbemba – then that would mean Rafa has £93M to spend this summer.

And since in some reports Rafa is said to get between £40M to £50M plus any transfer fees – let’s assume it’s only £40M and that makes the total £103M.

That’s still a lot of money for this summer, assuming Rafa can get some good deals done like he’s already done for star goalkeeper Martin Dubravka.

It’s different and a lot better than last summer because we have players now who are both surplus to requirements, and can bring in some good money in the transfer market.

And Mike Ashley not putting money into the club seems like a red herring.

Ashley put some money in during our promotion season to see us through.

But Newcastle in the Premier League should be able to generate enough in revenues each year to be able to compete (using only the club’s money) with the vast majority of Premier League clubs in the future.

That must be the goal of any business so Ashley cannot be taken to task for not putting his own money into the club; that’s our opinion, and maybe it’s the contrary view.

One area Newcastle need to concentrate on is our commercial revenues, and that should keep increasing as long as we have Rafa Benitez at the club.

So while it’s true Newcastle need to be nimble in selling players – and that’s not a strong point of Lee Charnley and company – it’s not as dismal as has been portrayed.

What do you think?

Jun 29, 2018 at 1:15 PM

This doesn’t read like the same ‘ol Ed’s writing…

• jazzyp

Jun 29, 2018 at 1:16 PM

A lot of ifs in there Edd.
    We’ll see after the 1st eh!

Jun 29, 2018 at 1:25 PM

Jazzp
    Just skimmed over the previous post and saw that you were talking about us perhaps prioritising another centre mid instead of a striker. While completely share your frustration, I was one of the people perplexed as to why we were prioritising a goalkeeper over the striker and number 10 position last season. What I’ve come to realise are three things:
    Rafa builds his team from the back, regardless of whether or not we can afford the transfers for quality strikers. His CB’s and goalkeepers not only need to be disciplined, but have to be ball players. He’s got that sorted now and that has sured up quite a few points in the second half of last season. I suspect now he’s moving onto the second half of the spine in the Centre Mid position and that will secure even more points in a side that struggles to secure goals.
    Secondly, most of the time, the media don’t have a clue who Rafa is targeting, much less the foreign sources.
    And thirdly, in Rafa we trust

• lesh

Jun 29, 2018 at 1:25 PM

It’ll be interesting to find out exactly what Ashley meant when he referred to everything the club generates would be given to Rafa for players.

Maybe I’m a bit naive here in thinking that generated includes Prem prize money, broadcasting revenues less of course, monies required to manage the clubs fixed and variable overhead costs? But if that is the case and assuming £125m prize money (?) and £40m broadcasting – a total of something like £165m for the season gone – the club’s overheads and operating costs must be huge. Has anyone looked at the numbers in the last published accounts?

But, could it be that Ashley’s take on monies generated means money from player sales? Let’s not forget that Ashley’s model seems to be based on incomer transfer fees paid up front, in and fees from player sales being paid in instalments thus keeping cash availability to a minimum.

I wonder whether Rafa knows what he’s got to play with (a transfer and wages budget) or is Ashley going to expect him to work blind and seek approval for every proposed transfer? That being the case, it exposes Rafa to looking a fool by bidding without knowing whether his offers are in the right ball-park or not.

Does Ashley have to be such a tw@!

Jun 29, 2018 at 1:31 PM

Lesh, I’m also of the opinion that’s what Ashley meant when he said that Rafa can have everything the club generates as well as player sales. At least, that’s what I’m hoping. Otherwise, what other money does the club generate that is even worth promising to a manager like Rafa? I honestly hope upon hope that you and I are right. As for overheads, I have no idea.

• jazzyp

Jun 29, 2018 at 1:34 PM

BenAfri

If there is any truth or not in the link from Nugent is,I find it strange we would spend on close to 20 million on a bit part player from Jive when like many feel money should be spent elsewhere.
    Unless Benitez has been presented with a mass war chest ,Then prioritization should be a given.Last season we struggled for goals and creativity, Are lightweight on both sides of the defence ..And have no natural attack or width down the flanks.
    I agree mate in Rafa we trust tho I would find this a strange first signing

• Oldgit1

Jun 29, 2018 at 1:36 PM

The silence coming out of St James is deafening, is it the calm before the storm? Even the chronicle is struggling for stories. Appears to be a news blackout which suggests nothing but heartache for the fans.
    Is this the way to treat the diehard fans of this club. No. But we get use to this type of treatment because it’s ashley.
    Has Rafa been told to button it by the PR team. is Ashley still in America. Where is charnly? There must be something to report besides ex goalie Given being appointed goalkeeper coach at Derby.

Give us some meaningful news.

• Geordie-john

Jun 29, 2018 at 1:39 PM

Hang on a minute, Where is the £125M that the club is to receive ? Has that just been forgotten about already ? So Rafa has to sell to buy ? Another shambles. All this talk of x amount of £’s and not long until the window shuts. Fatman GREEDY COCK-ney wants Rafa to shop at Sports Direct sweatshop outlet in one of his last minute sales no doubt ! I think that his idea of running a football club stinks ! We need him to go asap as he is just salting away the profits and creating a smoke screen talking of 5 year deals. What a load of crap !

Jun 29, 2018 at 1:39 PM

Hahahahaha, Oldgit1. You seem like you need a holiday!

• RobLeenio

Jun 29, 2018 at 1:40 PM

Oldgit1, oy, I thought that was really interesting!

Alright, mildly interesting

Ok, fine – it had minor interest for a specific and limited group of people.

But it was meaningful news, at least to Shay himself….

Jun 29, 2018 at 1:45 PM

JazzyP
    Completely agreed on the 20Mil. If anything, I personally feel it should be spent on maintaining the team we ended on, ie Kenedy. That should be our priority right now, before we even move on to other deals.
    I suppose I see your point. But I still don’t trust much of what the media is telling us. There’s no way we’d want anyone knowing who we’re moving in for, so I just don’t believe it. I think for now, we’re just in the dark until anything is confirmed by the club itself.

• mactoon

Jun 29, 2018 at 1:51 PM

If only it was that simple. As far as I am aware Ashley pays up front for players but sells in staged payments (ie Sissoko was sold for £6 million per year over 5 years). Therefore, the figures you quote of £93 million incoming will be spread over 5 year deals meaning the first years payments available will be £18 million. Ashley only uses money the club has on account, not money to be paid in the future.

Also, given that he has said “every penny generated by the club will be given to Rafa” I would assume once all the bills have been paid any money left will be for transfers. That contradicts him making money from player sales available, unless he has promised to give all money made from sales to Rafa, which I doubt.

The money generated by the club won’t be anywhere near £40-50 million so I wouldn’t expect that to be made available.

• jazzyp

Jun 29, 2018 at 1:52 PM

Ben Afri

I agree buddy Re the media driven circus and yet another player linked to Nufc.I mean the same can be said of the Richie link to Middlesbrough.
    Why would people contemplate selling Ritchie? After Christmas he was excellent, great attitude and works his tits off. We should be adding to the squad not depleting it, plus he’s better than Atsu, Aaron’s and Murphy!

• jazzyp

Jun 29, 2018 at 1:55 PM

Hahahahahaha the good old Rafa can have every penny Nufc generate promise from good old Mickey boy Ashley.
    If Merino is sold for £12 million, that should give Rafa at least another £0 to spend on players

• hartlepoolmag

Jun 29, 2018 at 2:06 PM

Everyone just keeps mentioning the premier league and broadcasting money how about ticket sales for every game over priced drink and food we sell every game, programs, shirt sales plus other official club merchandise not to mention sponsorship deals I think you’ll find the fat cockney prick is pocketing a lot more than you think plus he’s free company advertising all over the ground.

Jun 29, 2018 at 2:13 PM

JazzyP
    True, although if (and that’s a BIG IF) the Ritchie story is true, then I’m wondering if it’s to generate more money for Kenedy. Hey, I’m in total agreement with you that he’s the best winger we have on our books. But someone on here said the other day that it would be great if he could be moved over into the number 10 role. And I love that idea because it means that we just need to spend that 20mil on Kenedy and we’d have one great winger, and competition for Perez in his role.

Jun 29, 2018 at 2:15 PM

Plus, I love the way Shelvey reads Ritchie’s game. Imagine that kind of telepathy straight up the spine of the team!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 29, 2018 at 2:21 PM

I think most of us will be glad when the window closes, at least we’ll know where we stand re. players.

Still no move by Rafa for Akinfenwah as yet!!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 29, 2018 at 2:25 PM

Rob

That reply to Oldgit was hilarious.

Well Quite funny.

OK, mildly funny.

Actually not very funny at all

In fact why are you picking on him!

Jun 29, 2018 at 2:26 PM

Essex Geordie Bill
    I’m struggling to figure out whether I agree with you or not. One on hand, it would be good to see where we stand. On the other hand, if we end another transfer window without completing any major signings, it’ll be hard for me to come to the realisation that we will never again be the club I remember. Rafa quite literally is the only person keeping this club together in my opinion.

Jun 29, 2018 at 2:27 PM

I think every single Newcastle fan has that hope in their hearts that we will be great once again, and in our lifetimes. It’ll be hard if those hopes are dashed.

• RobLeenio

Jun 29, 2018 at 2:37 PM

Bill, lol, thank you very much

Well, cheers for something

Actually, bog off…

😉

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 29, 2018 at 2:38 PM

Ben Afri

I’m saying it on the assumption that there will be signings, the whole saga is normally so drawn out and protracted that I think we all suffer from a form of comatose news syndrome.

The closing of the window new players or not is something of a relief.

• Vest

Jun 29, 2018 at 2:40 PM

Ed £93M + £10M does not equal £113M. A bit greedy there? 🙂

But still enough money for Rafa to get some quality into the squad.

Jun 29, 2018 at 2:43 PM

Essex Geordie Bill
    I think you’re right. I would be quite surprised if this window were like the previous two or three. Hahaha, actually, as I’m typing this, I’m kinda slumped over in my chair falling asleep. And as you say, the conclusion of the window will be a relief, if not for new signings, then at least because we’ll have begun the start of the new season by then – and that means new things to complain about 🙂

Jun 29, 2018 at 2:45 PM

Vest

None of this maths makes any sense!

“And let’s add £10M we seem to be getting for Mikel Merino from Real Sociedad and that’s a total of £113M.

And since in some reports Rafa is said to get between £40M to £50M plus any transfer fees – let’s assume it’s only £40M and that makes the total £103M.”

• Oldgit1

Jun 29, 2018 at 2:45 PM

At Rob, expected better from you mate, don’t turn out out like the other posters that venture onto this site and becomes prat’s.
    I very rarely post on here because it’s like Groundhog Day, same contributors same arguments same nasty comments.
    Too old for this shit.

• RobLeenio

Jun 29, 2018 at 2:48 PM

Lawro’s match predictions are out for the round of 16. It’s unusual to see ‘my’ team being predicted to win for a change (2-0, apparently).

He’s also predicted the French to beat Argentina, Uruguay to beat Portugal, Brazil to beat Mexico, Spain to beat Russia, Croatia to beat Denmark, Belgium to beat Japan and Switzerland to beat Sweden. Some bold claims in there.

Also, he seems to not think any will come down to penalties judging by the scorelines.

Jun 29, 2018 at 2:49 PM

Oldgit1
    I think he was taking the Mickey out of the news mate, not you.

• RobLeenio

Jun 29, 2018 at 2:49 PM

Oldgit1, I think you’ve taken me wrong, I was agreeing with you it wasn’t very interesting news.

Apologies if I caused offence – none was intended.

• Tsunki

Jun 29, 2018 at 2:54 PM

I wouldn’t worry about it Rob. In fact I’d worry if he left you out. 🙂

• Graeme

Jun 29, 2018 at 3:08 PM

The “Every penny the Club generates” would be seriously improved if the advertising plastered all over SJP was paid for at the going market rate!!!

• cyprus

Jun 29, 2018 at 3:09 PM

The difference between Mitro and Gayle isn’t just 5 million Ed. Not now.

If we are ‘determined’ to sell Mitro (why? We broke? We hate him because ‘he gets red cards’? Not good enough for us?), right now he’s the jewel in the crown, like him or not. (Quiz: name the Newcastle players involved in the WC).

Well known good CFs are very very expensive, as we’ll soon find out, if we don’t already know. If we must sell, someone will easily pay 35+.

I know everyone has a price but there should be a spine of the team which isn’t for sale unless they break the bank. In order to start building..E.g. Lascelles, Shelvey, Ritchie, Mitro.

• Tsunki

Jun 29, 2018 at 3:14 PM

What you have to remember is that the TV money and the ticket sales pay the gas and electric. Theres not really much left to pay the bills because all the nice little add-ons that usually pay the bills such as merchandising, advertising, catering etc don’t come into the club. They go…elsewhere. NUFC are run on a tight income / outgoings balance. Therefore this “every penny generated by the club” is basically the running balance of player sales and purchases. Given that some of these deals can span up to 5 years and they all overlap, it’s quite complicated to see what that running balance is. Even more complicated is discerning the disposable income for a player putlrchase and contract, which in itself immediately changes that dynamic. Unless he is actually a qualified accountant with full access to the club company books I think Rafa will have to accept what Charnley says is available. Not much I’m guessing.

• Tsunki

Jun 29, 2018 at 3:18 PM

Cyprus – are you really hanging your hat on Mitro appearing in the world cup as proof that he’s a star striker? Oviedo from the mackems appeared at the world cup. Is he a star? 🙂

• cyprus

Jun 29, 2018 at 3:26 PM

Tsunki
    Was Oviedo mentioned as much as Mitro in the media and reports? Did they perform analogously?

You’re right though. Mere presence in the WC doesn’t guarantee quality. But you disagree that this cup has raised his value? That’s my drift.

• Pottsclock

Jun 29, 2018 at 3:31 PM

Selling cars for the best price doesn’t need a car showroom…but it helps. I think we all just want the best price we can get for him

• cyprus

Jun 29, 2018 at 3:33 PM

Graeme
    Sponsorship can be lucrative but not as much as one may think. Although it’s complicated, sponsorship can be acquired for as little as 4 million in the PL.

• Dragon64

Jun 29, 2018 at 3:43 PM

So is everyone hoping for something to happen on the 1st July? Something has got to give supprised no one heard anything does seem very quite. You would think if there was anything going on something wud get leaked it’s the way ppl are

• Tsunki

Jun 29, 2018 at 3:50 PM

Cyprus undoubtedly it does thankfully as it serves his purpose for a move and ours for the Cash for Rafa just giving page ha ha.

But it’s only like finally getting that oil leak and dent on the wing sorted and polishing it before selling your second hand car. It’s been a decent shop window but proof that he is a great striker? Not for me. Put it this way of he wasn’t our player and there were reports we were interested in buying him I’d be really disappointed. Really disappointed.