Ki Signed For Newcastle Within 48 Hours – I Know This Club Has Ambition

Ki Sung-yueng has revealed today the negotiations to bring him to Newcastle lasted only 48 hours once he was finished the World Cup in Russia captaining South Korea.

He seems to have decided very quickly to sign on for Newcastle and only arrived on Tyneside on Thursday of this week – straight from Russia – so Newcastle wasted no time.

Maybe it was after one short conversation with Rafa Benitez, who has excellent persuasive powers when trying to sign players.

Rafa only came back to Newcastle on Wednesday and his meeting with Lee Charnley that afternoon was at least in part to discuss signing Ki.

Ki Sung-yueng being interviewed for nufcTV

The South Korean says it was an easy decision to join Newcastle yesterday.

This is some of what Ki has told nufcTV and he speaks perfect English:

“I came yesterday (Thursday) and I am really thankful to the club for giving me the opportunity to play for such a great club.”

“I’m really looking forward to it.”

“There was no hesitation once I had the first offer from the club.”

“It was a very quick decision to make because I know this club has ambition.”

“Everybody knows how big this club is.”

“I am really looking forward to playing with my team-mates and for the fans.”

“I had a little injury against Mexico in the second game so I couldn’t play against Germany.”

“But it was a great memory for myself as a player to play at the World Cup.”

“It was the third World Cup of my career.” “I was captain too.”

“Sometimes there is stress as captain but we finished well and I was satisfied with the result (vs Germany) and the World Cup.”

Ki is cool, relaxed and calm in his interview – a must-see for Newcastle fans – he seems a lovely lad – as my mother would say.

Ki missed out on probably South Korea’s best ever result when they scored two goals in stoppage time to knock out Germany.

You cannot get much better than that with Germany the reigning World Cup holders and current number one in the FIFA rankings.

This World Cup is really something!

• c-dog

Jun 30, 2018 at 10:12 AM

The club under Ashley has no ambition

• Lindisfarne

Jun 30, 2018 at 10:15 AM

Thanks Jib, I was oblivious. However you probably would not want Rafa to unambiguous and unending authority.

• lesh

Jun 30, 2018 at 10:19 AM

From an earlier thread……..

It’s comforting to learn that Ashley wanted to know which players Rafa’d be prepared to sell. After all, Ashley wants show Rafa he has ambitions fir the club and add to the quality players we’ve got, not sell ’em….. Innit!

If it’s correct that Rafa now wants to work on selling players like Mitrovic, Sels, Mbemba, Lazaar and Colback, and we’ve made no bids as yet, one would expect Ashley to ask Charnley just what the hell he’s been doing for the last few weeks.

If Ashley demonstrated some real interest in building on last season rather than counting every penny he’d be kicking backsides and we’d be in much better shape by July 1st.

• hibbit

Jun 30, 2018 at 10:24 AM

not many players have joined us over the years without even a whisper of a deal
    the club is on lockdown

• giimps

Jun 30, 2018 at 11:02 AM

The cynic in me is suggesting this may have been done to increase the Asian appeal of Newcastle , more shirt sales from riding on the crest of the “World Cup heroics” as well as a higher draw for worldwide coverage of SD brand……or is that just me?

• giimps

Jun 30, 2018 at 11:04 AM

TBF he is a decent player and on a free, so a good deal imho, better players to come though , hopefully.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jun 30, 2018 at 11:06 AM

Surely does suggest we probably are travelling ok when a player in his prime and with such a wealth of elite experience bites our hand off to join and knocks back AC Milan to do so. You might even be forgiven for thinking we are well poised to bring in a few very good players.

• Tsunki

Jun 30, 2018 at 11:29 AM

Thankfully it looks like Rafa’s M.O. is to keep everything on the low, this is not Ashley shutting the petty cash tin thankfully.

• The next Mike Williamson

Jun 30, 2018 at 11:32 AM

If Shelvey gets injured our team would crumble so it’s great to have a similar replacement although I doubt he’s come to sit on the bench. And if I remember correctly Swansea put Shelvey on the list and chose to keep Ki so they obviously rated him higher back then. There’s no way this is for the Asian market. As Tsunki said they sell the shirts for peanuts. You can get them for between £2-4 usually and they look real, and although he’s Korean it is true that lots of Chinese will follow Newcastle as he is Asian. Not many Asians make it big so they follow other countries in that regard.

As for Dubai’s rumours, he said take with a pinch of salt. I personally didn’t think there was anything in it and we all know people talk rubbish after a few beers. I met one of the original members of Oasis in a bar last month and only the week before the same guy was an original member of Deep Purple. We all know these rumours are unlikely as Ashley rarely lets news slip out, but they are worth hearing anyway. Keeps us typing at least.

• The next Mike Williamson

Jun 30, 2018 at 11:39 AM

Someone said they’re surprised he’s quite tall. Koreans are often fairly tall as are northern Chinese due to the colder weather. It’s the Cantonese down in the south that are very small, and they are the ones we tend to get in UK because of our links with Hong Kong.

I wonder if he’ll eat at Newcastle’s Korean restaurants. I assume we have some.

• Tsunki

Jun 30, 2018 at 11:41 AM

Yep Jail was a bit harsh on Dubai must be cabin fever kicking in bad there 🙂

I’ve taken ITK’s to task back when we had some Twitbury blaggers on here trying to get hits and likes etc. But the speculation and rumour thing I’m ok with because without it there wouldn’t be much of a blog would there?

• TyneMouth

Jun 30, 2018 at 11:43 AM

The theory that by signing the South Korean captain will benefit ‘shirt-sales’ in Asia is fundamentally flawed. In any Korean market you can buy a ‘genuine copy’ EPL shirt for less than $10.

The real benefit of having the current South Korean captain in our squad will make NUFC attractive to other Korean internationals. After the 2002 Japan/Korea World Cup the success of Korea in reaching the semi finals, managed by famous Dutchman Guus Hiddic, resulted in a flow of young talented Koreans to Europe. Remember Man U’s Lee. Korea could be a rich recruitment zone…

• TyneMouth

Jun 30, 2018 at 12:12 PM

6’2″ Korean athletes/sportsmen are not that rare these days. KSY was born one year after the 1988 Korean Olympic Games. The Olympics are fuelled by Coca Cola and McDonalds, those bastions of fine dining. The legacy of the 1988 Olympics has seen a massive growth rate in Korean youngsters, resulting in competitive basket-ball players and childhood obesity.

I bet his father is about 5’4″ and weighs less than 8 stone, born in 1950’s, physique legacy of the Korean war!

• Sherlock

Jun 30, 2018 at 12:17 PM

I’m quite happy with this signing but as others say we need more and of higher calibre. Still think the way Rafa works we will have another 5 incoming as long as we can get rid of the unwanted.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 30, 2018 at 12:17 PM

No cabin fever in it lads, I came home on Tuesday, as I do. Nothing in it at all except Rafa allegedly is signing a new deal, getting people’s hopes up for nothing. If it was to be taken with such a large dose of salt why post it in the first place. Like I originally said, if it had of come off then he’s toting himself as some kind of ITK, It didn’t, wasn’t ever and it’s ok because people want to hear bollix rather than nothing at all. Let the free for all begin, might as well start reading the mag.

• Sherlock

Jun 30, 2018 at 12:20 PM

Jail keep away from the mag it’s infested with more doom mongers than ever..

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 30, 2018 at 12:54 PM

My prediction for Rafa’s next freebee, Fernando Torres!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 30, 2018 at 12:56 PM

Some analyzing the English squad in the DT was saying we really could do with a deep lying playmaker.

Hmmmm, now do we have such a player in the English game?

Oh hang on!!!!!!!!!!!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 30, 2018 at 1:00 PM

chicousa, I really also like lime pickle, chilli’s and very hot curries so it could be why i love anchovie’s, not much finesse to my taste buds! 🙂