Ashley Holding Rafa To Ransom Before He Can Sign Kenedy – Dubious Report

The Star are reporting news from a Sun correspondent today that Newcastle have a deal all lined up to (try to) sign Chelsea’s Robert Kenedy from Chelsea, but Mike Ashley has yet to give the go ahead.

Mike Ashley was reported to have told Rafa previously this summer that he must sign his new contract before he reveals to him the transfer funds he will have available this summer.

So Rafa signs and the owner tells him he has £20M to spend this summer?

Rafa Benitez – held to ransom?

And now the news is that he will only sanction the deal for Kenedy if Rafa signs a new deal first.

We cannot help but think this is a Sunday morning story since it makes little sense  – and it’s sensational.

Sun reporter Alan Nixon on his personal Twitter account is saying Ashley wants Rafa to sign his new contract before he gets the transfer money he can spend this summer.

So how did he bring in Ki Sung-yueng on Friday because we all know that free transfers these days are no longer free?

The report is not only that Rafa will not sanction the deal for Kenedy, but he will not give Rafa the money to spend this summer until he signs a new contract at Newcastle.

We just don’t believe this is true.

If it is true, it means we cannot be negotiating with any club in good faith if Mike Ashley will not cough up the money once a deal is agreed.

The other way to look at it – if it is true then Rafa could walk.

Yes – it ‘s a Sunday – just checked the calendar in case I have died and ended up in hell.

• Optimistic Panda

Jul 1, 2018 at 11:04 AM

Jail

Where was Clarence Acuna from?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 1, 2018 at 11:06 AM

Seeing as Kosovo was part of Yougoslavia up until at least 1999 and was first considered a independent nation by most of FN I 2008 I find it hard to believe we have had a Kosovo player at Newcastle?

They are not confusing Silvio Mari? with being from Kosovo?

• Optimistic Panda

Jul 1, 2018 at 11:08 AM

Maric?

• TomaKaThor

Jul 1, 2018 at 11:11 AM

Acuna was from Chile as I recall

• Optimistic Panda

Jul 1, 2018 at 11:12 AM

Diego Gavalin South America
    Daniel Cordoba. Argentina/Columbia
    Marc Hottinger. Somewhere in Europe

Can’t remember where their from

• Tosun A. Wobbler

Jul 1, 2018 at 11:15 AM

Repost: Sky Sports reporting things starting to rumble on the subject of Andros Townsend coming back.

• Tosun A. Wobbler

Jul 1, 2018 at 11:18 AM

Mokele Mbembe – the Congo basin

• Shot Bru

Jul 1, 2018 at 11:19 AM

Gavian is from Paraguay
    Hottiger was Swiss
    Cordone is Argentinian, signed on loan the same time as Bassedas, both were pants

• Jib

Jul 1, 2018 at 11:20 AM

Clarence Acuña
    born
    Rancagua
    Chile

• OneAlanShearer

Jul 1, 2018 at 11:20 AM

Oh look its July 1st and things are starting to happen. What a surprise.

• TomaKaThor

Jul 1, 2018 at 11:20 AM

Sky sources at least usualy have some truth to them so atleast that’s something wooo

• Jib

Jul 1, 2018 at 11:24 AM

Jesper
    Shefqi Kuqi
    was born in
    Vushtrria Yugoslavia
    it is now in Kosovo
    when it became Kosovo is irrelevant
    Shefqi is now Kosovan

• TheJimBelow

Jul 1, 2018 at 11:26 AM

Missed the bus….

Yeah it’s just 50 countries from the PL era, assuming KSY kicks a ball for us of course!

France has provided the second most players with 30..

I can’t say I’m not (slowly) reaching that number thinking of nothing else and randomly shouting French lads’ names around my house….

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 1, 2018 at 11:32 AM

Aye, there is a Chilean, I was referring to the Robeledo brothers by saying there wasn’t any listed. Oops, I’m so dim and a footy know nowt.

• TheJimBelow

South Africa 1
    South Korea 1
    Sweden 1
    Trinidad & Tobago 1
    Turkey 1
    Uruguay 1

Just for the record and the craic lads!
    David Edgar is the Canadian 🙂

• Oldgit1

Jul 1, 2018 at 11:50 AM

Somebody once said ‘never go back to a club you once played for’ can’t remember who it was but it does make sense. Prefer Kenedy. At least when he comes back it will feel like a continuation of his time here.
    Could there be a standoff between Ashley and Rafa. Hope not.

• Offkey

Jul 1, 2018 at 11:56 AM

Peru – solano
    Portugal – viana
    Sweden – Anderson
    Georgia – ketsbaia
    Colombia – asprilla
    Belgian – Albert
    Turkey – emre
    Algeria- lazaar
    Serbia – mitro
    Uruguay- gonzalez

• Nufc 4ever

Jul 1, 2018 at 12:02 PM

I personally would not have Townsend back. He has gonè backwards since he left England squad player 2 years ago. He would cost more than we sol? him for makes no sense Kennedy all day long

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 1, 2018 at 12:03 PM

Jib…when it comes to knowledge in general I know better than to argue with you!

• lochinvar

Jul 1, 2018 at 12:13 PM

Ki Sung-yueng in for free
    Chadli for £17m?

That’s the way to do it

• Hail Wor Ashley

Jul 1, 2018 at 12:14 PM

If we sell Ritchie I’m done.

He epitomises what we want, endeavour, grit, leadership, consistency, great professional, quality delivery, rises to the occasion and scores big goals, helps get the best out of Yedlin in both attack and defence.

After dropping down a division to help us get promotion he hit the ground running and was player of the season. Last season he was in our top 5 players.

Would be a terrible decision and bit of a betrayal if it’s against his wishes, especially if it’s to replace him with Townsend, who yes Rafa got his best 6 months of his career out of, but was the opposite of Ritchie in terms of his commitment to NUFC and willingness to take a chance in the Champ.

• G

Jul 1, 2018 at 12:16 PM

I nearly said Zurab was the Georgian, however I then remembered that was the Champo.

• magscar

Jul 1, 2018 at 12:21 PM

A quick look ( and a plug for an excellent site) on NUFC.com under “on this day in history” will confirm that it isn’t unusual for signings and outgoings to happen on 1 July.

On Jails quiz the report on NUFC mentioned that their list was for country of birth not who they may have represented and that is apparently where Kuqui was born before his family emigrated to Finland whom he then represented.

• magscar

Jul 1, 2018 at 12:23 PM

G

not sure if any one else has referred to the Georgian player ( as I am just dipping in and out ) but that would surely be the nutter Ketsbaia

• G

Jul 1, 2018 at 12:27 PM

I always remember doing a tour in Cyprus just after the Gulf war, I had been there for year or so, and was fairly well known to most of the bars in Ayia Napa, and one night I went out and all the barmen started shouting Papavasiliou, and plying me with free drinks. I didn’t have a clue what was going on, but went with it (gift horse and mouth etc). It wasn’t until the next day when we got the English papers (Pre internet era, and no Sky in Cyprus then) that I realised what was going on, when I read the Toon had signed Nicky Papavasilou. One of the best nights out I have ever had. Happy days.

• TheJimBelow

Jul 1, 2018 at 12:30 PM

The nutter is right lol!

Good call Magscar, plenty of comings and goings on July 1st to read over and reminisce..

Also happy 42nd birthday to Patsy “Luurve” Kluivert!!

Got a giggle off the “fleshpots of Jesmond” comment in his career review!..

• magscar

Jul 1, 2018 at 12:32 PM

Hail

I get what you are saying but of course football in general is a pragmatic business and not usually a sentimental one but it would be a shame if Ritchie did move for Townsend to be his replacement. Interestingly it was 2 years ago today the the latter left and Ritchie arrived. Within months I recall majority on here were very happy with the “swap”.

There are nearly always upgrades and fair enough if Ritchie did get a move he wanted and we got another in great but not Townsend in my view.

At end of day though as with all things football – In Rafa We Trust

• lochinvar

Jul 1, 2018 at 12:34 PM

Too sunny to get very creative so just a simple version of Sweet Caroline to welcome Ki

Where it began, I can’t begin to knowing
    But then I know it’s growing strong
    Was in the spring
    Then spring became the summer
    Who’d have believed you’d come along
    Hands, touching hands
    Reaching out, touching me, touching you
    Sweet Ki Sung-Yeung
    Good times never seemed so good
    I’d be inclined
    To believe they never would
    But now I
    Look at the night and it don’t seem so lonely
    We filled it up with only two
    And when I hurt
    Hurting runs off my shoulders
    How can I hurt when I’m holding you
    One, touching one
    Reaching out, touching me, touching you
    Sweet Ki Sung-Yeung
    Good times never seemed so good
    I’d be inclined
    To believe they never would
    Oh no, no
    Sweet Ki Sung -Yeung
    Good times never seemed so good
    Sweet Ki Sung-Yeung
    I believe they never could
    Sweet Ki Sung Yeung

• Oldgit1

Jul 1, 2018 at 12:34 PM

For anybody who are interested in non league football, Spennymoor town has just signed Callum Williams from Newcastle, he played 33 games for the under 21s under the guidance of Peter Beardsley.
    Spennymoor are releasing the names of new signings every 15 mins on Facebook, one is rumoured to be SHOLA. Plus 4 others.

Why can’t Newcastle do this. Imagine how many hits the Facebook account could achieve.

• magscar

Jul 1, 2018 at 12:34 PM

G

I think his most memorable contribution for me anyway was a through ball for Cole to score against Man U on our PL debut season

• G

Jul 1, 2018 at 12:42 PM

I seem to remember he was good going forward but couldn’t recieve a pass from behind or on the move

• magscar

Jul 1, 2018 at 12:48 PM

G

yeah a failed experiment but not one we lost out on (or not much) as I recall like most of KK’s buys first time around.

That move and goal still makes me smile – signalling our return to the big league in a season when we finished 3rd – that sort of return is unlikely toever happen again 🙂

• magscar

Jul 1, 2018 at 12:53 PM

Oldgit1

I see what you’re saying but any social media site along with hits will bring lots of unwanted posts- can’t see them entertaining that.They do have NUFC.co.uk for their news and of course we also have NUF.com 🙂

• G

Jul 1, 2018 at 12:56 PM

I think we paid about 250k and sold him back for a similar fee.

• Oldgit1

Jul 1, 2018 at 12:59 PM

@ magscar yea you are right, just like this site lol.

• Tsunki

Jul 1, 2018 at 1:14 PM

“Hail Wor Ashley

Jul 1, 2018 at 12:14 PM

If we sell Ritchie I’m done.”

What? Like he’s an indispensable player? Oh ok then we’ll so long and thanks for all the…all the…the…errrrrr…so long.

• jazzyp

Jul 1, 2018 at 1:19 PM

I understand the animosity thrown towards Townsend by Nufc’s loyal fans,But let’s remember he had no affiliation with the club and was only here for a short spell.
    A footballers career is very short lived and playing in the Championship won’t appeal to many,Especially with no guarantee we would come straight back up.
    If we are after Andros then I believe we will still go after Kennedy as well

• Mag :P

Jul 1, 2018 at 1:23 PM

Not nice tsunki

His constant negative rambling during football matches WILL BE A huge MISS.

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 1, 2018 at 1:25 PM

Shut up Jazzy. Your talking sense there man!

Can’t talk like that on this blog 😛

• bettyswallocks

Jul 1, 2018 at 1:26 PM

Jesper……….. Good luck tonight , you’ll need to be at your best to beat them mind with Modric in cracking form.

Really hope you win though .