New Signing Seriously Considering His Future

29-year-old new signing Ki Sung-yueng has moved to Newcastle on a free transfer from Swansea and will continue to play at the highest level of football in the Premier League.

Ki has been captain of South Korea for four years now, and he has talked about how he has felt the responsibility of leading his country.

Now he seems to be seriously considering giving up International football.

Ki Sung-yueng – about to retire from International football?

When players get close to 30 they often think about International retirement, and it can help them prolong their club careers.

Alan Shearer did that when he turned 30 back in 2000 and about a year afetr Sir Bobby Robson arrived at Newcastle.

And Mo Diame is probably the best recent example – having retired from playing for Senegal almost eighteen months ago.

His last six months at Newcastle have seen Diame be the star of the team playing in the holding midfield position; we have never seen him play much better than he has this year.

Ki has played 104 times for South Korea, and has talked about his International career as reported in the Northern Echo:

“I can’t confirm whether I will certainly retire as I cannot make the decision on my own. But I did organise my thoughts to some extent. “

“For the last four years as a captain, I felt responsible for not leading this team well.”

“I saw many coaches come and go and felt considerable responsibility on my shoulders as a captain, so that really tired me out. “

“But I haven’t made up my mind yet. I will announce it when the time comes.”

“When I started to play in Europe, I cared about the national team whenever I made decisions.”

“Until now, I’ve sacrificed for my national team, and I considered my national team important, so I had picked a club where I can play many games.”

“Now the World Cup is over, and I don’t have to do it that way.”

It sounds as though Ki is readying his country that he is about to retire from International football.

The Asia Cup now takes place every four years and is due to take place in January next year in the United Arab Emirates, and by then we expect Ki to have retired from playing for South Korea.

That would be good news for Newcastle United.

He made his debut ten years ago in June 2008, in a World Cup qualification match against Jordan.

Personal note:

For those who haven’t seen it yet – Ian Johnson did a piece on me this week – here it is.

It all happened very quickly and Ian asked if it was OK on Monday if I answered some questions on my cancer.

Ian certainly moved quickly to get the job done and the article – he should be on the Newcastle transfer team!!

Here’s Ian’s Twitter account.

• toon kk

Jul 5, 2018 at 10:10 AM

Ki will be able to put his whole thoughts into playing well for Newcastle.

• Pottsclock

Jul 5, 2018 at 10:12 AM

Ed nearly gave me a heart attack !! I thought Ki was already thinking of leaving us when I read the headline..now that would be a record.

• hibbit

Jul 5, 2018 at 10:16 AM

transfer window slams shut on the 9th of august the clocks ticking
    till then all we can do is trust Rafa

• jazzyp

Jul 5, 2018 at 10:29 AM

Hibbit

That’s all we have left..Grasping at straws like every window

• wynsleap

Jul 5, 2018 at 10:30 AM

What are you doing Toon? WE NEED NEW SIGNINGS!!!
    Where are they??
    About time everybody got their finger out. This waiting is like death by a thousand cuts.

• toon kk

Jul 5, 2018 at 10:34 AM

Yep the transfer window is ticking by, hopefully Rafa will deliver the players we need, his striker choices aren’t always the best options imo,although difficult under Mashleys budget. I hope Richie isn’t sold either.

• RobLeenio

Jul 5, 2018 at 10:36 AM

jazzy from previous, I completely agree the last ten years have been pants, but we’ve never had a manager like Rafa in the PL with a decent wedge of TV money before. Last season doesn’t count, promotion seasons are never a good benchmark. As hibbit says, the clock is ticking but there’s still over a month before the window shuts – plenty of time.

All I’m saying is we should be patient and see what the next few weeks hold. It doesn’t help when the same posters come on here day after day with their doom and gloom (not including you in that bracket, btw). Frankly, it’s boring. Except for bladey who if you don’t take him seriously is actually really hilarious.

• DaveD1000

Jul 5, 2018 at 10:36 AM

Ed re Personal Note:-
    I think most of us have read it by now and long term lurkers like myself have known the points shared in the article.
    It is however a reminder of what a blinding job you do with this blog under severe conditions.
    I couldn’t put up with us lot constantly whinging and sniping.
    Keep doing what you do mate.

Ed Fanboy

• Pottsclock

Jul 5, 2018 at 10:39 AM

Well said DaveD !!!

• hibbit

Jul 5, 2018 at 10:40 AM

RobLeenio
    easier said than done with Ashley lurking in the background

• RobLeenio

Jul 5, 2018 at 10:43 AM

hibbit, yep agreed

DaveD ‘Ed Fanboy’ – spot on, that goes for me too.

• Jib

Jul 5, 2018 at 10:58 AM

The Times understands that Newcastle, who want to have Plea at all costs,
    will significantly increase their offer this morning , from the original €17M to
    something closer to Nice’s figure of €25M .

• JohnJ

Jul 5, 2018 at 11:01 AM

I’m very grateful for all the effort you put into this blog Ed – It’s the first place I look each day for news of my beloved football team – Newcastle United. You deserve a medal for all your efforts – Star Man! Gan Canny Bonny Lad!

• cyprus

Jul 5, 2018 at 11:05 AM

Ed
    First off congratulations regarding the blog. The club must honour you. Formally.

• jazzyp

Jul 5, 2018 at 11:06 AM

Rob

As much as love Rafa and what he has done for not just the club,But the hope he has given back to us after years of oppressively being shackled..He doesn’t own or sign off what we all know we need to move forward.
    As Keegan Said”I would love it” For things to change mate but as of yet I see little or no change in direction

• cyprus

Jul 5, 2018 at 11:07 AM

On Merino, think the lad just wants first team football. It’s called ambition. I wish him success.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jul 5, 2018 at 11:09 AM

So Stoke are offering 80k a week for Richie !? This would make him joint highest paid at our club would it not with Shelvey being the top earner?

Well you know if Newcastle don’t sell pretty sure Richie’s agent will be looking for a new contract with similar terms…….

• RobLeenio

Jul 5, 2018 at 11:17 AM

jazzy, “He doesn’t own or sign off what we all know we need to move forward”

He didn’t own that, you’re right. What he does or doesn’t own after his new contract is finally agreed, we’ll not know until it happens.

I’m not sure the signing of Ki Sung Yeung would have happened in the past given restrictions on wages and age, free or not. I’m taking that as a sign that Rafa has won at least some concessions, whether or not they’re formally written into his contract, which should give us all some hope of better times ahead.

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 5, 2018 at 11:28 AM

Shut up Jazzy!!

• RobLeenio

Jul 5, 2018 at 11:39 AM

How the rest of the World sees British Summer sports

• Average_Contents

Jul 5, 2018 at 11:57 AM

Wait and see?

That old chestnut eh?

We’ve been waiting 11 long years and still fcukall has happened apart from Rafa and even that fell into the sligs lap because he approached us.

Talk about blind.

Past history points to one conclusion. I’m pretty sure it doesn’t need spelling out. The fat fcuks a leech, clinging on sucking every last drop from the club

AO

Hwtl
    Hwtf

• Tsunki

Jul 5, 2018 at 11:58 AM

Merino and his suspiciously fragile back might just be another frail foreign player who couldn’t take the shock of the PL. He had potential, but he hardly impacted our season so no loss really. Shame for him not sticking it out here but hey what can you do?

• Tsunki

Jul 5, 2018 at 12:12 PM

The thing is Ashley has at least a years leeway on the accounts before we get to know how and where the TV and other income has gone

• DaveD1000

Jul 5, 2018 at 12:15 PM

Tsunk
    Agreed a couple of ok games but nothing earth shattering. Then the dodgy back.
    I liked the look of him but have doubts around his attitude

• jazzyp

Jul 5, 2018 at 12:19 PM

Shirebrook
    Afternoon buddy

• neverwin

Jul 5, 2018 at 12:24 PM

Don’t know how significant but Rafa has opened an Instagram account because he wants to be closer to NUFC fans. Got this news from The Mag – my 2nd favourite site.
    Perhaps he is committed to staying and we should relax a little on that score.
    Him getting his own way with Ashley is another matter.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jul 5, 2018 at 12:26 PM

Merino
    Started of well but did not adapt to the rough and tough of the Premiership.
    Good technical player nice touch on the ball
    But…
    To easily knocked off the ball – on his arse more often than standing up with his arms outstretched complaining. Tackles from the ground.

Get a decent price – sell

• martoon

Jul 5, 2018 at 12:28 PM

Well said DaveD1000 @8 – Maybe some of you will stop and think before you start crying to Ed about some comment that offends your sensibilities – he has enough on his plate!

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 5, 2018 at 12:32 PM

Jazzy

You enjoying the weather mate. Not nice for working in though.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 5, 2018 at 12:34 PM

Mbemba, like Mitrovich was a regular starter in a team that got relegated, both contributed little to our Championship winning campaign and impressive outing last season. Yet still some people are up in arms that they’re leaving?

• jazzyp

Jul 5, 2018 at 12:35 PM

Shirebrook

We’ve been finishing around 2 every day mate,Burning up big time in this heat.You inside?

• jazzyp

Jul 5, 2018 at 12:36 PM

Comical listening to Newcastle fans on here. Kicking off because Ritchie is leaving. And then kick off when a bid is rejected, despite everyone saying he’s worth more than £15mil. What will be, will be.And please just sell Mitro..Getting boring now

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 5, 2018 at 12:48 PM

Jazzy

Yeah same here mate. Start early and finish mid afternoon. Working inside is just as hot aswell.

• NezzaNUFC

Jul 5, 2018 at 12:57 PM

Nice to see Ed and his blog hitting the newspaper.

Keep fighting Ed mate, we are all fighting with you.

• Optimistic Panda

Jul 5, 2018 at 12:59 PM

Wait and see, if I punched you in the face would you wait see if you had a black eye before hitting me back?

You’ve had ten years of wait and see, you need another ten for it to hit home?

Maybe you should open your eyes, it helps when you want to see things!

• RobLeenio

Jul 5, 2018 at 1:04 PM

Panda, you’re not being very Optimistic.

Maybe you should change your name to Sad Panda?

• lesh

Jul 5, 2018 at 1:07 PM

RobLeenio

I share your concern and being one of your ‘……same posters come on here day after day with their doom and gloom’, I would argue that from what we’re seeing doesn’t jump out as cause for unbridled optimism.

There are those among us who look at Ashley’s ambiguous language (some say we were a Championship side in the Prem – he didn’t believe that to be the case) his misleading statements (‘every last penny generated…..’) come to mind and his seeming lack of ambition, and conclude that he’s backing up his reputation as the worst owner in the Prem.

Some claim Ashley’s not as bad as is made out, citing the club’s support for worthy causes such as the nufc food bank, sponsoring youngsters on a trip overseas etc as evidence that he’s not as greedy as is made out. A cynic would say that the PR makes him look good, generous and not greedy but icosts little when we consider the money at stake.

So, where are with transfers? A keeper signed in the last financial year; a free in Ki (his wages and costs doubtless covered by departures) and talk of incomers but as yet, only talk. Could Ashley be sticking to his word for once when he reportedly said that Rafa wouldn’t get a transfer budget until he signed the contract on offer? Players are supposedly lined up to leave as incomers are supposedly being bid for. So why no movement? Could Rafa be blocking outgoing moves until he’s got replacements through the door?

Rob, you don’t come across as an Ashley apologist and your optimism is to be applauded however, after 11 years of Ashley, his lies and mismanagement, you must understand why he doesn’t have many fans!

By the time I’ve written this, there’s every possibility I’ll have been proved wrong and if so, I’ll be delighted.

• Mister Tuff

Jul 5, 2018 at 1:13 PM

cyprus very decent idea @14

• RobLeenio

Jul 5, 2018 at 1:19 PM

lesh, fine post, well written – sincerely.

Now, let’s be clear on one thing. Ashley is a massive weapon whose only impact on the club we all love has been negative throughout his tenure, for reasons that have been repeated endlessly.

That said, he is not alone and operating in a vacuum. Part of the responsibility has to lie with those he appointed and trusted to run the club. Yes, ultimately they were his appointments and therefore the responsibility is ultimately his, but we were played false by the likes of Pardew, McClaren, Carver and Kinnear who were weak yes-men with no talent for management.

This aspect of the club has changed. Rafa is not like Ashley’s previous appointments, he is not a yes man and he will not stand for Ashley’s BS, at least not repeatedly. This Summer is the first one where Rafa has us in the Prem and can also tell potential recruits (and this is a key difference to last year) that there is little to no chance that we will be relegated. We know for a fact that his very presence is a key factor in attracting players to the club, he finally has money to spend on them (assuming he’s been given some budget) and he’s still here (which suggests that he has).

Yes, it’s been rubbish so far, yes other clubs are spending fortunes whilst we apparently sit on our hands, but we’ve got a month of this window left and I’m still convinced it will be a good one for us.

And, btw, I wasn’t including you in the group of overly negative posters, I find your posts are generally well balanced and reasonable.

• lesh

Jul 5, 2018 at 1:21 PM

Never win

I believe that Rafa is, in principle, committed to staying with us. However, he’s a proud man who’d like to take our club to where it belongs and unless he received support for his project, his ambitions for the club from Ashley, he’ll be away next summer.

The ball’s in Ashley’s court and a little movement toward supporting Rafa might just persuade him to extend his contract. There’s been no obvious signs that say Ashley’s willing to compromise.