The Mirror is reporting today that Rafa Benitez has been officially offered a new five-year deal at Newcastle.
They are reporting that Rafa spent his summer working hard on Newcastle transfers but that he still wants to see Newcastle open up the checkbook on transfers.
And at a minimum break their transfer record of £17M for Michael Owen that was set way back in 2005.
We don’t know if this is a real update and that Rafa has now officially been offered a new contract which is for five years and would keep him at the club through 2023.
We assume he will get a wage increase too – given all the money he’s brought into Newcastle over the last two full seasons – which have both been successful.
After being relegated in May two years ago he has got us up to 10th place in the Premier League – a fantastic achievement and he didn’t get 100% support from Ashley to do that either.
In his two seasons at Newcastle Rafa has shown he is still one of the world’s best managers.
A smiling Rafa Benitez arrives for training on Friday
It is a Sunday so this could be superfluous news, but surely Newcastle and Mike Ashley want Rafa to sign a new deal before the season starts on August 11 – in the early game against Spurs at St. James’ Park.
Rafa is savvy, experienced and doesn’t mess around, and he’s waiting to see if he gets supported by Mike Ashley in this transfer window.
Rafa has said earlier this summer that he wants to see what ambitions Mike Ashley has for the club.
If he is waiting to see them this summer – the fantastic Spanish manager could be waiting a very long time.
But we are still hoping things can be worked out, and if Rafa does sign on for five years on Tyneside – fans will really celebrate.
As we’ve said before he is the perfect manager for Newcastle United.
And Rafa loves the passion and 100% support he gets from the fans and the City – if not the owner.