Huge Opportunity For Young Defender At Newcastle

Since Rafa has come to manage Newcastle, the playing standards have been rising every year throughout the club and will continue to do that as Rafa tries to put together a top team without too much help from owner Mike Ashley.

One of the areas we have not been good at before Rafa arrived was in bringing young players through the ranks and into the first team.

Rafa has talked about that, and it’s vital that Newcastle start doing that from at least a financial viewpoint.

We cannot be like Manchester City or Chelsea and just buy all our first team players – ready to go – because that costs far too much – and we have a miserly owner in any case.

20-year-old Newcastle center-back Josef Yarney – a Liverpudlian

The manager has talked about having one new youngster coming into the Newcastle first team squad every year.

20-year-old former Everton center-back Josef Yarney – born in Liverpool – joined us last summer as a free agent and was a highly rated defender.

And Josef is one of the young players training with the first team squad this week and very likely be on the plane to Ireland tomorrow.

This is what the 20-year-old has said on the Newcastle website:

“For a young lad like me going up there, it’s not just training, it’s a chance to impress and a chance to get better, being around all the lads and top quality players,”

“The tempo is higher, the professionalism is higher, and everyone is doing the right things at the right time. That can bring me on leaps and bounds as a player.”

“Being around Jamaal and players like that – for me as a center back, it’s great to be around people like that.”

“I was watching the way he’s been with the lads and the staff, and the way he plays, the way he leads the team, and also a lot of the other lads too.”

“You see where he’s come in a short space of time, and he’s getting linked with coming into the England squad now, so it’s a good motivation.”

“I thought it was a very positive season considering I didn’t play many games the season before when I was at Everton, so it was nice to get a lot of games.”

“I think at the end of the season we played something like eight games in 21 days, but I enjoyed that.”

“Last season was my first season at the club – I was coming in and I was new. I’ve been here for a year now, and everyone knows what I’m capable of and what I can do, and where I can be.”

“I just wanted to come here and show what I could do, and put a positive thought in people’s minds about me.”

“I think it’s always a big chance when you go with the first team and you’re going to be around the manager and the staff. You can always make a good impression on people.”

“Hopefully I can go up there and impress, and then you never know. I’ll go from there and see where I’m at at the end of pre-season.”

Yarney has started his career well on Tyneside and made 30 appearances for the U23 side last season with a couple of goals.

He now has a big chance this summer to impress the boss, and the best he can hope for is to get into the first team squad for next season – but playing in Ireland under Rafa’s watch will definitely help his development.

• RobLeenio

Jul 10, 2018 at 4:34 PM

Good to see another young lad on the edge of the first team picture. Good luck to him.

I’ll be honest I know nothing about him, if anyone has any knowledge they can pass on I’d appreciate it.

• RobLeenio

Jul 10, 2018 at 4:36 PM

Go on, admit it – who’s sat there all afternoon hitting refresh on the Sky Sports transfer page waiting on Kenedy to be announced?

• RobLeenio

Jul 10, 2018 at 4:38 PM

Some big news coming in though – Ronaldo to Juve, Mahrez to City.

It’s all going down.

• DaveD1000

Jul 10, 2018 at 4:38 PM

Know nothing about him..but he is saying the right things and if he uses our young captain as a template it can’t be bad

• Jib

Jul 10, 2018 at 4:41 PM

I think the kid although he was at Everton
    must come from a red family because he
    ran his contract down so he could be coached by Rafa.

• RobLeenio

Jul 10, 2018 at 4:42 PM

DaveD, agreed. He’s an athletic looking lad – more of a Rio Ferdinand than a Sol Campbell type. Could be decent back-up for Lejeune, while Clark is back-up for Lasecelles?

• DaveD1000

Jul 10, 2018 at 4:44 PM

sounds like a plan Rob

• Toonces

Jul 10, 2018 at 4:44 PM

Repost re: Merino…

Not knowing anything here just pure speculation:

Maybe Merino has failed a medical?

Maybe Merino has high wage demands the new club don’t want to meet? probably a significant drop in wages to go from the PL to La Liga

Maybe Merino’s agent is holding out for a bigger fee?

Who knows, but I think any or all of these could beholding up his transfer

• RobLeenio

Jul 10, 2018 at 4:47 PM

Toonces, it could be any of those things or that as a club asset his transfer is not yet allowed to complete until certain criteria are met here.

• Toonces

Jul 10, 2018 at 4:56 PM

Rob – except the club doesn’t have much to say as it is a release clause being triggered. The club can only say – pay the full amount up front and if Sociedad can’t do that then they don’t get to sign the player. So for the sake of his transfer being held up, it isn’t on the NUFC end.

• Jib

Jul 10, 2018 at 4:58 PM

French media are inferring Rafa may be
    negotiating a player (Ritchie) plus cash
    deal for Stoke’s midfielder Giannelli Imbula.
    That would make sense as GI although classed
    as a DM is quite versatile.
    The irony is , he was loaned to Toulouse last
    season and was a big factor in the Ligue 1 side
    avoiding relegation

• Pottsclock

Jul 10, 2018 at 5:01 PM

If we are selling good players then we should get the right deal for them – even if they want to leave as per Merino. The fee etc needs to be right for us and if it isn’t, we should not sell. The player needs to recognise that we are not a charity or rehabilitation service for homesick lads. We invest heavily in them (coaching, medical services etc.) and pay them very good wages and expect an appropriate return, even if they leave.

In the case of Colback, I will personally drive him to whichever club he wants to go to and I’ll buy him lunch on the way if it will help. Let’s sell him for £1 and advertise him in Poundland

• DaveD1000

Jul 10, 2018 at 5:05 PM

Potts
    I’ll tip in for the petrol

• Pottsclock

Jul 10, 2018 at 5:06 PM

Cheers Dave.

• hibbit

Jul 10, 2018 at 5:08 PM

forest on loan !!!!!

• Jib

Jul 10, 2018 at 5:10 PM

Pottsclock
    Jack has just texted me he wants to join Torres
    at Sagan Tosu.
    He says if you can get him to China he’ll get the ferry over
    😛

• Pottsclock

Jul 10, 2018 at 5:12 PM

Jib…China? No problem. I drop him at Sea Houses and he can swim the rest.

• RobLeenio

Jul 10, 2018 at 5:19 PM

With Ronaldo gone, how about Mitro for Real?

😀

• Jib

Jul 10, 2018 at 5:24 PM

Maybe Davy Shiels will take him by coble

• Jib

Jul 10, 2018 at 5:30 PM

A David Shiel joke

They reckon beer contains female hormones
    I reckon they are right cos after 8 pints I talk
    shite and can hardly drive in a straight line

• The American

Jul 10, 2018 at 5:57 PM

RobLeenio

Talking about Yarney, he’s an athletic type who has all the physical tools to be successful but doesn’t quite have the tactical understanding and his great athleticism rowing in same direction yet from what I’ve seen and read. A lot of talent but has a lot of work to do to get in to the first team.

• ToonRich

Jul 10, 2018 at 5:58 PM

Anyone confirm if this was a current player, new player or some randomer???