West Ham Bid Not Made – Rafa Says Lascelles A Key Player And Leader At Club

There was an article earlier today in Sky Sports that West Ham had made a £20M initial offer for Newcastle captain Jamaal Lascelles, rising potentially to £25M.

But today when interviewed in the Chronicle Rafa said he had not heard of any offer for his captain and took the opportunity to say that he is not for sale.

Other clubs have been linked this summer with potentially making a move for the center-back with Chelsea being one of them.

So it wouldn’t be a massive surprise if bids do come in for him but Lascelles is a key player and leader for us – one reason he is the captain – and a very good one too.

Rafa Benitez and Jamaal Lascelles – don’t leave me now

This is what Rafa has said about the situation as reported in the Chronicle:

“He was a key player for us last year and he has to be this year and for a long time to come in the future.”

“The reality is that we don’t want to sell Jamaal. He is a key player for us and leader. We are happy with him.”

“No (I am now aware of any bid for him).”  “I saw it on TV but we are not thinking of that.”

“We are just thinking of how to improve him on the pitch.”

When we have a good player at the club, Rafa will want to keep them, and he will not put up with Mike Ashley selling one of his best players.

Rafa wants to have an outstanding team on the pitch and not a lot of money in the club’s bank account.

That, unfortunately, is one of the scenarios that could happen that would mean Rafa would leave Newcastle – if Mike Ashley sells one of his top players

We cannot let that happen.

Anyway – when is Ashley going to sell the club?

• lesh

Jul 10, 2018 at 6:39 PM

Rafa says he doesn’t really want to sell Lascelles. He doesn’t really want to but if………. That’s not a categoric ‘Not For Sale at any price is it?

Dubai

Eastbourne has an annual air show which features the Battle of Britain Flight. When turning in for a run over the sea, the Lanc passes directly overhead of our house at a few hundred feet. It’s awesome to see and hear…..

• Jib

Jul 10, 2018 at 6:42 PM

• Pottsclock

Jul 10, 2018 at 6:46 PM

When the Canadian Lancaster came over to the UK in 2015 for the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain, I saw both together at Goodwood (Chichester). Was awesome. Also saw 20+ spitfires at the same event with some flying in a large wing. The sound was just incredible.
    My first ever proper job was working at the factory in Manchester that made the Lancaster – sadly now closed.

• RobLeenio

Jul 10, 2018 at 6:52 PM

Ha Ha Klinsmann just called Mbappe a ‘massive weapon’

Harsh…

😀

• Bobbybee

Jul 10, 2018 at 6:53 PM

Want some more irrelevant blurb?
    All quarter finals were played with a team with seven letters v a team with six. 7+6=13
    “It’s coming home” has thirteen letters.
    Might as well just hand the trophy over now. 🙂

• Tsunki

Jul 10, 2018 at 6:53 PM

Don’t leave me now..
    Don’t say it’s the end of the road…

Is it safe to come on now and mention how good it is to get another loan for Kenedy, gives us a bit of room for manoeuvre on buying players etc… Plus wasn’t it put forward that Chelsea in their current turmoil are battening down the hatches and as such didn’t want to sell Kenedy just yet?

Just wondering because Jesper has been whining on all day about a decent player coming in being a bad thing because he’s a “loaner”. Jespers got that in common with Kenedy though, you’d think he’d have more empathy 😉

• Jib

Jul 10, 2018 at 6:54 PM

One of my best mates (born in Bury) grandad
    started work at Avro when it was still A.V.Roe

• Tsunki

Jul 10, 2018 at 6:55 PM

Should be some game this. I think England will probably need to order tie wraps for their shorts legs after this one 😐

• Jib

Jul 10, 2018 at 6:55 PM

La Belle France still has the best National Anthem

• Tsunki

Jul 10, 2018 at 6:57 PM

Interesting stat that nearly half of these players left competing in this cup ply their trade in the PL. Good one to load in the cannon for when anyone says it’s a fading league or the Primera Liga is better etc.

Actually that’s not a stat. It’s a FACT!

• Jib

Jul 10, 2018 at 6:58 PM

We could be in for a footy treat here
    Fingers crossed

• Tsunki

Jul 10, 2018 at 7:00 PM

Needless to say extra time and pens and a few calf strains would go down nicely now. 🙂

• Ron Knee

Jul 10, 2018 at 7:01 PM

Eerie silence where I’m living!

• RobLeenio

Jul 10, 2018 at 7:02 PM

ToonRich, I think G2 is right, it’s probably Yannick Toure. Or Michy Batshuayi if I squint hard enough….

• Pottsclock

Jul 10, 2018 at 7:02 PM

Let’s hope that France v Belgium is a vicious, physical encounter that extends into extra time with heavy injuries and plenty of bookings etc. Some injuries to significant players that would rule them out of the WC final and delay their return to the PL would also be welcome – though I’m not proud to say it !!

• RobLeenio

Jul 10, 2018 at 7:04 PM

My Grandad worked at Avro during the war building Lancasters. He couldn’t serve due to a dodgy knee. He fell from one of the high gantries messing round trying to impress my Nan and broke his back, back at work in three weeks.

• RobLeenio

Jul 10, 2018 at 7:08 PM

This is wierd – it’s like watching a Premier League game in an alternate Universe

• Jib

Jul 10, 2018 at 7:08 PM

Aye men were men in those days

• Tsunki

Jul 10, 2018 at 7:12 PM

France seem happy to scope out Belgium and let them run down their energy. Have to be on point though, Hazard and De Bruyne are just wading through players

• Bobbybee

Jul 10, 2018 at 7:14 PM

Rob, lol, spent last night in hospital again with the same thing – fractured spine. Nothing major, just one of the vertebrae again due to the osteoporosis. Still got a month before kick off though so every cloud etc 🙂
    I wasn’t trying to impress your gran though, I promise!

• Tsunki

Jul 10, 2018 at 7:15 PM

Warning shot across the bow

• Tsunki

Jul 10, 2018 at 7:18 PM

Bobby – I think this is the tech you need.

Development as usual will be spurred on by military application but I can envisage a near future where this will be defacto and the motorised cart and wheelchair will be special order or museum exhibits!

• Tsunki

Jul 10, 2018 at 7:19 PM

I somehow think this will not be a goalless game in normal time.

• RobLeenio

Jul 10, 2018 at 7:20 PM

Lol Bobby, you’d struggle, believe me…. Even when she was alive she was a hard woman to please.

Hope you’re feeling ok. You have to stay fit to give Southgate moody glares through the telly tomorrow night

😉

• Tsunki

Jul 10, 2018 at 7:21 PM

France struggling here dear oh dear they will be hoping they run out of steam.

• lochinvar

Jul 10, 2018 at 7:25 PM

Spam mail is everywhere these days. This lot are a loose canon.
    Junk box.

West Ham are in discussions with Lazio to sign midfielder Felipe Anderson for a club record fee of around £40m.
    The Hammers have already signed Jack Wilshere and Ryan Fredericks on free transfers this summer, plus spent £29m on Issa Diop and Lukasz Fabianski.
    They are also close to completing the £17m transfer of Ukraine forward Andriy Yarmolenko from Borussia Dortmund.

• RobLeenio

Jul 10, 2018 at 7:26 PM

Is this the same Belgium that nearly got beaten by Japan? They look well up for it

• TomaKaThor

Jul 10, 2018 at 7:28 PM

Not sure who I would prefer to play, I’m leaning towards hopefully Belgium to win and De Bruyne to get injured 🙂

• Jib

Jul 10, 2018 at 7:29 PM

Belgium must be struggling for national symbolism
    when someone has to have a depiction of the Atomium
    on their hat.
    The Belgian Expo was in 1958 ffs

• martoon

Jul 10, 2018 at 7:33 PM

Jib @2 – Funnily enough Jail House Rock was No. 1 on the day I was born (that gives away my age) :mrgreen:

• Optimistic Panda

Jul 10, 2018 at 7:35 PM

I fancy France to win over 90mins

• RobLeenio

Jul 10, 2018 at 7:37 PM

Who was after calf strains?

• RobLeenio

Jul 10, 2018 at 7:40 PM

Bobby, Tsunki this is what we need

We’ve just got to get you accepted in the Dubai Police and we’re laughing

• lukes26

Jul 10, 2018 at 7:44 PM

Some outstanding goalkeeping in this game

Dembele not having a great game.. France are frightening on the counter

• Bobbybee

Jul 10, 2018 at 7:47 PM

Tsunki, sounds ideal mate, wonder if they need any Guinea pigs? 🙂 I’d give it a go for sure. Thing with osteoporosis is you don’t get impact fractures, it’s just the structure of the bone that splits. Fourth time now! I’m lucky compared to some apparently. Obviously any serious accident could be deadly, but as my gymnastic days are over and mountaineering is out of the question, I can’t imagine any situation where I could break a limb – excluding another RTA or similar, but we all have that issue.
    Those devices though could have me running around again like Robocop. 🙂 (Dread to imagine the cost though!!!)
    To all WUM’s, I could send out the message. “Lay down your keyboard. You have twenty seconds to comply”. (Just give me a hand strapping on this eskoskeleton before I blast you please) 🙂

• Bobbybee

Jul 10, 2018 at 7:56 PM

Rob – yes please! Who needs a bloody wheelchair when you’ve got that eh? Lmao. Technology is literally flying along now, no pun intended. Won’t be long before that esckoskeleton thing Tsunki posted is reduced in bulk and made into a viable product for people like myself. Too late for me, but nice thought that people in the future won’t have to struggle just to move around. Pity it takes military applications to boost medical projects.

• RobLeenio

Jul 10, 2018 at 8:04 PM

Has any football team ever lost to a team in a World Cup group match and then played that same team again and won in the final?

That’ll test someone’s memory. I have no idea of the answer but am interested to know.

• DubaiMicky

Jul 10, 2018 at 8:04 PM

Well who’d have thought it, Tsunki is a Pink Floyd fan.

• Bobbybee

Jul 10, 2018 at 8:04 PM

Can’t see this game finishing nil nil. There’s enough quality out there to result in a goal or two. Regardless who wins, gonna be a tough final for whoever gets there.
    Imagine England v Belgium. Two managers who have been relegated from the PL fighting it out to see who wins the WC!! Funny old game as they say. 🙂

• DubaiMicky

Jul 10, 2018 at 8:05 PM

BTW, I stand by what I said a few posts back, 0-0, France to win on Penalties.