Report – Newcastle After 28-Year-Old Forward – But It Could Be Risky Business

There’s a report in the Express & Star that Newcastle are interested in 28-year-old Aston Villa forward Jonathan Kodjia.

Kodjia looks a decent player, and he was born in France of Ivorian parents and has been capped 10 times by the Ivory Coast since he made his debut in a friendly game with Hungary in May 2016.

Aston Villa have got themselves into a terrible financial mess by overspending in the hope they could get quickly promoted back to the Premier League.

But after losing in the playoff final to Fulham in May, they are in dire straights right now – which has to be really worrisome for their fans.

Aston Villa forward Jonathan Kodjia

Villa’s Geordie manager Steve Bruce has said the club will have to sell their top players to try to survive financially.

Leeds United are the other club interested in the 6ft 3ins tall forward who joined Aston Villa two years ago from Bristol City.

Kodjia had been in excellent form for Villa scoring 19 goals in 36 games in the Championship two years ago.

But last season he missed a lot of the games (he played 19 games – one goal and 3 assists) through injury so that may be one concern Rafa has.

The other is that he cost Villa up to £15M (£11M rising to £15M) and that kind of fee is risky when he’s unproven at the top level and may have chronic injury problems

It could be that Villa will need to sell their players sometimes at a loss because they have to quickly get some money in; that means a cash bid from Newcastle could see the fee be quite low for the Ivory Coast forward.

Maybe Salomon Rondon would be a better bet if the fee is £16M because the Venezuelan has played three seasons with West Brom in the Premier League and he would be less of a risk.

• Ben Afri

Jul 11, 2018 at 1:39 PM

Ed, I must say: It’s incredibly hard to write genuine stories when there’s nothing much happening with Newcastle’s transfer development, but my WORD!!! I drivel that is drenched up on NEWSNOW is absolutely abhorrent, bereft of imagination and just lazy, dishonest, click-bait crap. But your articles at least stick out from the rest (in a good way).

• SuperShearer

Jul 11, 2018 at 1:43 PM

Thanks to Rafa I think the club are better at playing their transfer cards close to their chest. Chances are if we are interested in a player it’s being kept quiet to prevent bidding wars etc. That being said it could also be that MA is not allowing us to buy anyone so there’s no one really to link us with.

• Ben Afri

Jul 11, 2018 at 1:48 PM

• DaveD1000

Jul 11, 2018 at 1:49 PM

Micky
    the Tammy thing was an undercurrent on twatter earlier…..probably just 2+2 guesswork.
    Jesper
    House husband = guy who stays at home and does a lot of women stuff e.g. change nappies wash dishes moan and whinge a lot.
    Hope this helps

• barkel

Jul 11, 2018 at 1:50 PM

DaveD .. “women stuff” oh dear

• RobLeenio

Jul 11, 2018 at 1:52 PM

This is the definition of dedication – Croatian Firemen during the penalty shootout vs Russia

• bettyswallocks

Jul 11, 2018 at 1:54 PM

It’s obvious that we will not be buying a prolific established striker, so the question is will Ashley sanction the purchase of an older but less proven striker that Rafa thinks he can work with , as oppose to a younger up and coming one with potential for a huge resale value down the line. The latter would be Ashley’s preference for sure.

• lochinvar

Jul 11, 2018 at 1:55 PM

So now we’ve got Kodjia, Plea , Jorgensen and Tammy as options to buy. Who else ?
    Just hope that the loan with option to buy Kennedy is sound. Any interest in one of these strikers is then down to are they worth the money and will they do the business.

• Jib

Jul 11, 2018 at 1:58 PM

This is what the governor of the
    Bank of England was doing at SJP
    the week before last.

• Mister Tuff

Jul 11, 2018 at 2:10 PM

Jib – I thought you said earlier that Carney was checking the finances at SJP ahead of international financial takeover.
    You need to apologise to the blog for raising their hopes of Ashley going by submitting such an woeful and false account of what Carney was doing at SJP.

NB. Have you found China and Japan on the map yet.

Hahahahahahaha.

• Lascelles sells sea shells by the sea shore

Jul 11, 2018 at 2:11 PM

Tsunki

Just seen your ‘primark suit’ post a few threads back and I very much laughed.

You made some great and valid points that differ from mine but Hazard is definitely not a midfielder!!! 😉

• Tsunki

Jul 11, 2018 at 2:17 PM

Lascelles – No no i admit he was deployed further north this world cup but I think he looked like a right sided mid/winger against France poor lad 🙂

Belgian midfield let me down badly ha ha I think Croatia will spin us about in midfield if we don’t get that cruncher in there to break them up. Dier probably is the call, although his head is suspiciously small for his body. He reminds me of that dolls head on a Meccano frame in Toy Story. Hope he has the same effect against the Croats!

• Tsunki

Jul 11, 2018 at 2:19 PM

Betty @7 – you obviously meant to say another/i> prolific striker.

Obviously.

• Tsunki

Jul 11, 2018 at 2:19 PM

Uh-oh. HTML tag fail!

• Tsunki

Jul 11, 2018 at 2:20 PM

Phew at least i didn’t break the blog!

• Tsunki

Jul 11, 2018 at 2:21 PM

By right I of course mean left oh dear having a day…

• Tsunki

Jul 11, 2018 at 2:22 PM

Women stuff, DaveD? Ha ha you will have to explain to Jesper a bit better than that he he he

• Tsunki

Jul 11, 2018 at 2:27 PM

Not getting any word back from Jesper. Probably curled up on the sofa binge watching “Borgen” with a tumbler of Aquavit and a jar of spogs before the missus gets back in for her dinner.

• Tsunki

Jul 11, 2018 at 2:36 PM

I’m predicting a quiet early evening on the blog today ha ha

Chance for the colonials, Johnny foreigners what!! and lost expats to catch up on the night shift 🙂

• bettyswallocks

Jul 11, 2018 at 2:49 PM

Jesper does indeed have a strange philosophy on marriage. To quote Socrates, “By all means marry. If you get a good wife you’ll be happy if you get a bad one you’ll become a philosopher.”

Jesper is more than likely one of those guys best suited to marriage with a pierced ear. He has experienced pain and bought jewellery.

• RobLeenio

Jul 11, 2018 at 2:50 PM

Shire, the speculation comes from a tweet a couple of nights ago when Graeme Baliey teased that Kenedy may not be the last signing from Chelsea

I’d be happy to get the first one sorted first…
    😉

• SredniVashtar

Jul 11, 2018 at 2:52 PM

It was about a million articles ago (I haven’t read the blog in a while so feel like I’ve been trawling through the back catalogue) but someone mentioned we should go for Antonio from west spam and I 100% agree. He’s fast, powerful, is a decent crosser of the ball – my west spam mate loves him to bits (another reason to get Antonio I might be able to tempt him to SJP). It has amazed me that Antonio is not in and around the England set up. He’ll be available after the Yarmolenko signing – maybe 15 mil? Come on Rafa give san pellegrino a ring 🙂

• RobLeenio

Jul 11, 2018 at 2:55 PM

Sredni, as far as I understand it, Antonio is wanted by Palace who will then sell us Townsend etc etc

• bettyswallocks

Jul 11, 2018 at 2:58 PM

Jesper and his wife have reached a perfect understanding. He won’t try and run her life and he won’t try and run his either.

• Tosun A. Wobbler

Jul 11, 2018 at 3:09 PM

Betty…..I’ve had a pierced ear for 30 years which I paraded around when I first got it, thinking I was cool. Sadly even then I was just an old man looking a cock. Strangely, although I hardly ever put a stud in now, when I do, it goes straight in, no problem, except for the soap worm it pushes out first!! I have nothing else to say! 🙂

• SredniVashtar

Jul 11, 2018 at 3:16 PM

Rob
    To be honest I would rather have Antonio to Townsend – perhaps we could hijack that deal? One less link in the chain also makes it less likely to break down, which is better for everyone (except palace of course). Antonio would probably cost less than Townsend as well

• RobLeenio

Jul 11, 2018 at 3:22 PM

Sredni, sure, I won’t argue with you it’s a valid opinion – just saying I think my way seems more likely at this point, however we may feel about it.

• hibbit

Jul 11, 2018 at 3:27 PM

Antonio is a great player when fit,but he’s had a lot of problems over the last 2 season with his fitness.
    if we could keep him fit he would be a great but but it’s a very big IF!!!!!

• hibbit

Jul 11, 2018 at 3:31 PM

# would be a great player for us but it’s a very big IF #
    sorry one of those old fogies Jaspe was talking about

• Mister Tuff

Jul 11, 2018 at 3:37 PM

Whoah – what’s going on – talk of ear studs/ear rings. Next it’ll be necklaces and bracelets – progressing to lip stick and make up – wigs – ladies lingerie and slappers boudoir attire. Leave it out Guv’nor.

• Tosun A. Wobbler

Jul 11, 2018 at 3:42 PM

AW NAW!!! I’m still HAARD Like!!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 11, 2018 at 3:42 PM

Tsunki
    Jul 11, 2018 at 12:47 PM
    Easy there on us old people Jesper! Btw why are you using words like “lulz” when you know old folk, who are slow and dangerous behind the wheel as you know, don’t understand such cool hip zany sayings as you hep-cat daddy-o’s do?

Us older people have a gay time doing things like playing skittles, rolling hoops and having faggots for dinner and are not wicked at all thank you very much!

Tsunki…again with the stereotypes I see

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 11, 2018 at 3:43 PM

It’a like a moth to a fly with Betsy…so predictable 😉

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 11, 2018 at 3:44 PM

Honestly if anyone took offence from what I wrote earlier you can always call my publicist 😉 You can look the number up!

• RobLeenio

Jul 11, 2018 at 3:56 PM

The chronicle has released a couple of photos of the squad at the airport. No sign of Kenedy that I can see

Armstrong again pictured close to Jacob Murphy – looks like they’re good buddies after their time at Coventry, could be a productive partnership if they’re given a chance to prove it.

• ronaldo aarons

Jul 11, 2018 at 3:59 PM

I’d prefer us to go for ademola lookman. Leipzig looking at making his loan permanent and Everton reportedly only looking for £15m. I proper rate this kid and under the right coaching (Rafa!!!!), he’d be phenomenal.

• hibbit

Jul 11, 2018 at 4:15 PM

bit of a worry the club not announcing the Kenedy signing today

• RobLeenio

Jul 11, 2018 at 4:21 PM

hibbit, if Sarri calls him back can you imagine how p1ssed off he’d be? Does Sarri really want a player that annoyed anywhere near his squad?

I’m sure it’ll happen but must admit to a couple of nerves…

1 2 3 7