Andros Townsend Coy About A Possible Return To Newcastle

Andros Townsend has been talking to Football.London about his potential return to Newcastle United this summer.

But he doesn’t really get drawn too much into it – and that’s probably good for him.

The Telegraph had reported the news in early July that Rafa wanted Townsend back on Tyneside for next season.

Rafa is a big fan of Townsend and makes no bones about that.

It appears if we can get £15M for Matt Ritchie from Stoke City or former club Bournemouth then the Townsend deal could go ahead.

Rafa Benitez and Andros Townsend while at Newcastle

The fee for Townsend is reported to be £17M, but that seems a little low, and maybe we have to pay as much as £20M for the former Tottenham winger?

But Rafa Benitez was able to get the very best out of Townsend, and in 13 games he played very well for Newcastle.

Andros scored four goals and had two assists and looked like a player transformed on Tyneside under the guidance of Mr. Benitez.

This is what Andros has said when asked by Football.London about the rumors he may return to Newcastle United this summer:

“Of course, we are seasoned pros and we have been around the game for years,”

“Your name can be linked with other clubs every transfer window it seems.”

“But you have just got to get on with it and focus on what you are doing for the club you are contracted to, until that changes.” (and I sign this summer for Newcastle?)

“For me, I am just focusing on pre-season and trying to get some minutes under my belt in Sweden and Denmark,”

“I think I ended the season in good form,”

“I was happy with my performances towards the end of the season, and it probably came at the wrong time for me, because I was just getting going.”

“But I am chomping at the bit to get going again now.”

That’s the right very politically correct answer from Townsend.

We think Andros would be keen to come back to Newcastle after leaving us after we were relegated two years ago.

But Rafa held no grudges when Andros left Newcastle because the winger wanted to further his England ambitions.

The 26-year-old didn’t burn many bridges when he left the club – certainly not with the manager

A majority of fans will welcome him back – especially if he plays like he did when he was here.

• magscar

Jul 13, 2018 at 10:00 AM

Townsend looked after number 1 when he left and Colback is doing the same by not leaving ( except on loan)

• RobLeenio

Jul 13, 2018 at 10:02 AM

Relevant to this post, from Sky:

SHAQIRI MEDICAL UNDERWAY

“Xherdan Shaqiri has reportedly cut short his holiday after the World Cup, flying into Merseyside last night ahead of a £13.5m move from Stoke to Liverpool, according to the Liverpool Echo.

The report suggests Shaqiri’s medical is now underway”

That should suggest that Ritchie may well be a valid target for Stoke, but then you see the next headline

“OJO TO STOKE?

Stoke City want Liverpool winger Sheyi Ojo as part of the deal to take Xherdan Shaqiri to Anfield, according to The Sun”

If he doesn’t go to Stoke, I think Ritchie will stay with us and Townsend will be less of a priority signing.

• RobLeenio

Jul 13, 2018 at 10:04 AM

If Mahrez has left a gaping hole in Leicester’s midfield, who could fill it? Let’s get the Ginger Pirlo sold to Leicester…

• magscar

Jul 13, 2018 at 10:07 AM

I like Ritchie but as with all our players there are upgrades out there but at what cost? If Rafa thinks that Townsend is better for his system well as with his other buying and selling I will trust his judgement.

• Jib

Jul 13, 2018 at 10:07 AM

I’d be quite happy to keep Matt Ritchie

• Geordie-john

Jul 13, 2018 at 10:08 AM

Hang on a minute, No bones about paying possibly £15/20M for the rat that deserted us when we needed him and quibbling about Kenedy £20M+ who is fantastic and loyal to us even though he is still a Chelsea player on paper. Stick with 110 % every game Matt Ritchie and forget about Townsend as he is definitely one of the players that has used us as a stepping stone and will again at the drop of a hat.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 13, 2018 at 10:09 AM

Tsunki…the answer to your enitial question who’s responsible for our signings were answered at previous threads.

You have an answer at both:
    – Report – Newcastle After 28-Year-Old Forward – But It Could Be Risky Bus
    – It’s Official – Kenedy Signed On Loan For The Season
    – Fans Flood To Twitter To Welcome Winger Back – Kenedy Is A Geordie!

No one had been talking about Rafa being fired or should be fired!

I am not going to answer your ongoing questionnaire…speaking of having an agenda 😉

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 13, 2018 at 10:10 AM

Rob…did you have an elaborate explaination to your previous comment to me?

• Jib

Jul 13, 2018 at 10:14 AM

I truly admire the way the tiny nation
    Croatia have fought through to the WC final
    However
    Sunday should see Paul Pogba show why he
    is the most expensive player in the PL.

• magscar

Jul 13, 2018 at 10:16 AM

Jib

That would be my preference and I don’t usually put much faith in the paper talk but as with Merino this story isn’t going away so if all the rumours have some truth then it may be something is happening. If it does then I will accept Rafa has his reasons

• barkel

Jul 13, 2018 at 10:18 AM

Not wanting to get involved in your argument but that winky face emoji really made me laugh more than it should have!

On Ritchie, I think most of us would be happy to keep him. He has an excellent work rate and drive for the team but every player has his price and if we need to ship out players to get some in selling him to a club that aren’t going to rival us for close to £15mil is a good bit of business .. provided we do have an incoming arranged before he goes

• Little h

Jul 13, 2018 at 10:23 AM

I had a tenner on france on sky bet pre tournement
    Cashed out after 1 game coz they played sh** looks as though ive just hit ma self for 190 quid

• BenbulbenMag

Jul 13, 2018 at 10:34 AM

Shaquiri was one I was hopeful might be an option for us coming to the end of the season but once Liverpool were interested we were never going to have even a fraction of a chance.

• geordiemark

Jul 13, 2018 at 10:54 AM

townsend soon bolted why have him back id rather have a reserve then him back

• geordiemark

Jul 13, 2018 at 10:56 AM

BenbulbenMag

Shaquiri doesn’t like defending don’t think rafa would have went for him really, rafa likes players to defend deep and in zonal marking, seen him play for Switzerland and really didn’t really do much and didn’t really help stoke stay in the league