Newcastle Have Opportunity To Shock People Early In The Season

Tottenham Hotspur players had a good World Cup with England going through to the semi-finals before finishing in 4th place after losing 2-0 to Belgium last Saturday.

England’s “success” was totally unexpected and has given a lift to the England fans as well as to the players.

Those players now need at least three weeks off to recover.

If they come back early, they risk being fatigued and maybe suffering injuries, so we don’t expect a strong side to visit Newcastle in the early kickoff game on 11th August for our first game of the season against Spurs.

Harry Kane won the Golden Boot at the World Cup for scoring the most number of goals – six in total with three of those penalties.

Harry Kane in action during World Cup

And Harry, unfortunately, didn’t manage to score in the knockout rounds.

But Kane has said he hopes to be ready for the Newcastle game, but we doubt he will make it and in any case, he has never scored a Premier League goal in August.

Let’s hope that continues this year.

This is what Harry has said about his time off after the World Cup:

“I’ll hopefully be back for the first game and hopefully, I can try and score in August this year,”

“Not many people get to say they’ve won a golden boot in a World Cup, it’s a big achievement.

“I said before coming into the tournament I wanted to prove I could do it in these big tournaments.

“You’re playing the best teams in the world at the end of the day, you’re not going to get five or 10 chances a game. You have to take what you’re given.”

“I’ve had a couple that I feel I could have done better with, especially in the semi-final but that’s part of being a striker: you’re going to miss some and you’re going to score some.”

“Set-plays are a big part of the game so if I score every goal from a set-play I’m not too bothered.”

“We’ll have to talk to the gaffer at Spurs, but it will be a couple of weeks away.”

“Physically your body will always take you where you’d never think it would.”

“The important thing is mentally. It will be difficult but something we have to deal with.”

“We train all year round, we’re young, we’re fit, your body gets on with it.”

“For me personally, and I know for the other lads, it’s just getting away from football really.”

“It’s hard, but it’s what we have to do with the season starting so quickly.”

Newcastle did very well against Tottenham in our first game last season until Jonjo Shelvey stupidly got himself sent off early in that second half and we lost 2-0.

Hopefully, Jonjo will not be sent off next season at all, since he seems to be controlling his demons on the pitch much better during the second half of the season.

It would be a great way to start the season if we can get a home win on 11th August with our first six league games being very tough.

Our first three home games are against Tottenham, Chelsea, and Arsenal.

🙁

August 11           Tottenham  (H)
August 18           Cardiff  (A)
August 25           Chelsea  (H)
September 1      Manchester City  (A)
September 15    Arsenal  (H)
September 22    Crystal Palace  (A)
September 29     Leicester City  (H)
October 6             Manchester United  (A)

That’s five top six teams in our first eight games.

If we can do well at home in those first three games, we could be flying!

• magscar

Jul 16, 2018 at 2:29 PM

Was there ever a more easily won “Golden Boot”

• lochinvar

Jul 16, 2018 at 2:33 PM

Come on Ed, I saw the headline and photo and my mind briefly told me that Ashley has sanctioned a bid to bring Kane to Newcastle……..then I realised I supported NUFC and reality kicked in.
    God loves a trier.

• SredniVashtar

Jul 16, 2018 at 2:34 PM

Just missed the boat! I hope ed slows down for a bit 😉

Seen as a few people are posting Football manager-type wish lists so I’ll throw my hat in the ring too
    ?

We created plenty of chances last year (did somebody say we were 6th in the league or am I making that up?) so to be honest I think we simply need a goalscorer (potentially another forward/winger as well). A proper number 10 would also improve us hugely (although would that push Perez out the team, and do we need a 10 given his progress last year?) while cover at CB and CDM would also be useful if Hayden and mbemba leave.
    So, in ideal circumstances, we sell:
    Mitro 25m, Mbemba 8m, Hayden 10m, while also getting Sels lazaar colback saivet aarons off our books for as little as possible. (This gives us nearly 50m from sales as well as clearing wages)
    We buy:
    Divock Origi for 20m from scousers
    Andre Ayew on loan from Swansea (with option to buy)
    Loftus-Cheek from chelski for 20m or Zinchenko from Man City for 15-20m
    Skrtel for a couple of million (if not free)
    Ndiaye from Stoke at CM for 10m ish

Look here Ashley – we’d have spent no more than 50m while making potentially over 50m from player sales. A significantly better side and a deeper squad than last year while having a net transfer revenue! Right up your alley, eh?

• jayphoto

Jul 16, 2018 at 2:42 PM

seen nothing of Origi to suggest hes a 20m striker tbh… His composure is woeful and hes almost gone backwards since signing for Liverpool…
    N’diaye from stoke will cost more than they paid (which was about 16m when you factor agents fees)
    Loftus Cheek will cost minimum 25m.. unlike abraham, brown etc he showed he could really cut it into the premier league last year, went to the world cup etc and is homegrown.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 16, 2018 at 2:45 PM

I reckon we should get Kane in on a 1 year loan with an option to buy if he turns out to be any good.

• bettyswallocks

Jul 16, 2018 at 2:45 PM

Magscar……….. He didn’t score once from open play!

• magscar

Jul 16, 2018 at 2:46 PM

Betty
    His heel did 😉

• magscar

Jul 16, 2018 at 2:57 PM

Kane like Alli Lingard Sterling are over hyped in our press and are too self absorbed like many modern players. Got found out but Southgates inabilityto switch tactics and use of substitutes didn’t help. He may yet blossom internationally but not convinced.Maybe the next generation will bring more challenge to them in 4 years even though they are young.

Hope they can all learn from tournament but from public utterings not sure they see it. Press aren’t helping yet but as we know 1 false step in next competive game(s) then they will be castigated -it was ever thus

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 16, 2018 at 3:02 PM

Not shock any fcuker with the squad we have at the minute 😆

• magicmac54

Jul 16, 2018 at 3:04 PM

Ed your heading should have been Newcastle have the opportunity to shock people by actually signing a few players he he he, as long as fat chops Ashley Is owner we wont hold our breath. HWTL.

• magscar

Jul 16, 2018 at 3:09 PM

If I was a Spurs fan looking at their players in WC I would only rate Grippier in the top half of their representatives if scoring on their respective contributions. Those playing for other nations seemed more influential for their respective sides.

Not sure what that says about England and Southgate or if it is simply different tournament manager and players but same old problems in KO games against had decent side.

I know we are trying to change but looking at performance of the normal big boys who didn’t get as far as was expected they looked generally still better equipped than us 🙁

• Bobbybee

Jul 16, 2018 at 3:11 PM

Mags, I got slated for pointing out the blindingly obvious fact that Southgate doesn’t plan ahead. There was no plan B and no players to provide one.
    Every other player was simply a straight replacement for Plan A.
    The problem is, because we overachieved he’ll get a pass and unless he’s learned from such a big error, we’ll get the same again.
    I just fail to see what he’s ever done to justify his promotion. Getting Boro relegated hardly counts 🙂
    I still believe – due to his comments re Jonjo – that he was told not to pick him. Typical.

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 16, 2018 at 3:20 PM

The FA tell Southgate who to select. Because a few of his choice had me scratching my head.

Welbeck for one 🙄

• magscar

Jul 16, 2018 at 3:22 PM

Bobby

He is English, fits the FA template,won’t rock the boat and seems unlikely to cause any controversy in his private life ticking all the current unimaginative boxes. Oh and he is a fashion icon!

Boro fans weren’t sorry when he went.

I have different opinion to some mates down here on England but some don’t watch a lot of football(rugby league and cricket more their taste) or support lower league and are indifferent to PL but will support any side in Europe because they are English (Spurs may be but others)in general they bought totally into the hype and think my lack of total enthusiasm is jst because Shelvey and Laselles weren’t picked ha ha.

• DubaiMicky

Jul 16, 2018 at 3:26 PM

9 points max from first 8 games.

• ilovetoon8788

Jul 16, 2018 at 3:29 PM

this window is embarrassing. another day passes and us being linked with worse and worse calibre player.
    now is matt phillips. by end of the week, it will be someone from league 2.

Ashley should just get F out of our club.

• magscar

Jul 16, 2018 at 3:32 PM

Micky

Haven’t studied matches but know we have a tough start so 9 points (averaging just over point a game) should mean staying up if repeated through season but more shredded nerves 🙁

If we can avoid a really bad run like we suffered last Autumn we should be ok but not what I or I am sure Rafa wants.. Still hoping for more 🙂

• G

Jul 16, 2018 at 3:35 PM

From people’s statements above, and indeed in the media with regard to Southgate, and the lack of Plan ,B it sounds to me like England have accidentally stumbled upon the new Alan Pardew?

• lochinvar

Jul 16, 2018 at 3:41 PM

Now it’s getting silly the cult of media darlings. They won a football tournament not D Day.

Legion d’Honneur will be awarded to the French World Cup squad the French presidency has announced.

• lesh

Jul 16, 2018 at 3:43 PM

Bettys

I take it your not keen on messages being repeated?

I wonder if you objected to the people’s champion, Boris Johnson’s oft repeated message that the NHS would benefit to the tune of £350m a week post Brexit? Maybe that and other misrepresentations are acceptable to you?

In the meantime, while Ashley’s shafting Newcastle United, its highly popular and respected manager and the fans, I wonder whether you, like the nasties who are more concerned about crawling up Trump’s ego packed orifice and the Maybot’s proposals for a soft Brexit splitting the Tory party, than the UK and its population, are willing to accept the lies they peddle?

Sorry Bettys, I’m not.

Oh, just in case you think otherwise, this post was submitted with tongue very much in cheek. I trust you didn’t need that reminder.

😉

• lochinvar

Jul 16, 2018 at 3:48 PM

Dubai, as Ed states 5 of the first 8 games are against the top 6 and Sky / Bt have their grubby hands all over 4 of them.

I’m all for transparency.
    Perhaps we could have live TV coverage next season of the computer allocating the fixture list.
    Please tell me that’s how it’s done and not FA officials locked in a hotel room with Sky representatives.

Definitely Jib will know how it works and enlighten us.

• magscar

Jul 16, 2018 at 3:53 PM

G

No need to get nasty

…but maybe we have Southgate to thank for Pardew not being involved in that particular car crash in waiting whilst he was fortunate!y still cutting it at Palace and they were reeling from Alladyce.

Only Sir Bobby of NUFC related England managers is held in esteem not back then of course Usual English press) McClaren even KK were not up to it

• Belfast

Jul 16, 2018 at 4:00 PM

I think Lesh could probably turn a discussion about my smelly black socks into a political discussion.

• Jib

Jul 16, 2018 at 4:03 PM

• magscar

Jul 16, 2018 at 4:04 PM

Lochinvar

From memory fixtures are generated by computer which is programmed to take into account certain factors such as clashes of local clubs eg Everton and Liverpool can’t be both at home on same day.(for us ,I think it is Burnley bit haven’t checked theirs to see if that is right). Clubs can ask for home games to be avoided if say new stadium not quite ready.or Wembley is in use on particular date.

There also seems to be a desire to have “derby days” over same weekend an idea Sky driven surely!!

I like the odd conspiracy theory so am guessing there is a Mackem programmer involved somewhere :;-)

• Jib

Jul 16, 2018 at 4:10 PM

After getting on the pitch yesterday
    Pussy Riot have managed to disrupt
    the Trump/Putin presser in Helsinki

• Jib

Jul 16, 2018 at 4:38 PM

Apologies to BobbyB
    Allegedly
    Celtic and NUFC are in competition
    for the services of young Uruguayan
    AM/winger Giorgian de Arrascaeta

• BANDWBURNABY

Jul 16, 2018 at 4:47 PM

The only way NUFC will shock people is if fatty opens his wallet & SPENDS

• lesh

Jul 16, 2018 at 4:57 PM

Belfast

Tut tut. It’s not PC to refer to your smelly socks as black!

🙂