These Are Inspiring Words From The Captain

Jamaal Lascelles has been speaking at Newcastle’s ‘open media day’ yesterday at Carton House training camp in County Kildare in Ireland.

There’s been a lot of paper talk of Jamaal possibly leaving the club this summer with some big clubs reportedly interested in signing him.

But Jamaal is happy on Tyneside and doesn’t want to leave and he has a strong working relationship with Newcastle manager Jamaal Lascelles.

Jamaal Lascelles with Rafa Benitez at Benton

This is what Jamaal has said in his interview published in the Chronicle today:

“Nothing changes as far as my future is concerned,”

“This speculation [linking me to other clubs] might not even be true.”

“Since I was a kid, there’s always been teams interested, or speculation, and of course paper talk and stuff on Twitter, and things like that.”

“It doesn’t mean anything to me. I’m happy here; I’m the captain, the fans love me, I love the fans, I’m playing week in, week out.”

“That’s where I’m at right now, and my main focus is getting fit, doing the pre-season games and, of course, getting ready for the Tottenham game.”

“It gives me immense satisfaction what we achieved last season. It’s something we can look back on with pride, but we have to put that behind us.”

“It’s a new season now, with a new target and we know it’s going to be a completely different season to the one we had.”

“We don’t know what’s in store yet. Every game is different, many challenges will be thrown our way, but we just have to prepare and make sure we’re ready to take them all on – head on.”

Jamaal Lascelles is one of the leaders at Newcastle as Rafa tries to build a team that can soon challenge for a top-six place in the Premier League.

But Mike Ashley will have to allow the manager to spend some of the club’s money this summer to do that.

If he doesn’t do that, then it’s going to take Rafa a lot longer to build a top team on Tyneside and he may simply decide to leave for pastures new.

That would be tragic for the club.

• NezzaNUFC

Jul 17, 2018 at 10:57 AM

Why do think Rafa has not signed a new contract!?

He is leaving it until January because as things stand Newcastle are skint lol

• Lindisfarne

Jul 17, 2018 at 10:58 AM

With pretty much the same team that finished last season starting again, fresh and up to speed, we have a great chance at beating Spurs. Their only motivstion will be to stake a claim to a position whilst WC players are yet to return.

• NezzaNUFC

Jul 17, 2018 at 10:59 AM

I am seeing this as Rafa last season in charge, so we should enjoy his time here and support him all the way.

• Jib

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:06 AM

Surely with KiSY being South Korea captain
    he’ll be in Indonesia for the Asian games
    14 August to 1 September
    SK’s group – Kyrgistan Malaysia Bahrain
    You would think they would progress

• Lindisfarne

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:07 AM

Which ever club Wellbeck ends up at, we may get a cast off!

• Lindisfarne

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:08 AM

Which would be the cheaper option for Fulham, Welbeck or Mitrovic?

• Jib

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:09 AM

Phew
    It’s U23 and KiSY is not one of the 4 over-age players permitted

(mops brow)

• Jib

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:10 AM

sorry – 3 over-age players

• Lascelles sells sea shells by the sea shore

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:10 AM

Jib

Did Ki not mention he was considering international retirement after the world cup?

• RobLeenio

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:12 AM

Jib, Ki has suggested he might retire from International footy, in which case he obviously won’t be affected by the Asian Games.

Magscar, I’ve replied to your post on the previous thread. I won’t repost as it’s not footy related. Beware the wrath of Jail.
    😉

• barkel

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:12 AM

Jib,

He has hinted at retiring from International Football too

• Jib

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:13 AM

Lascelles Rob
    Yup correct
    I had a senior moment
    (think clive dunn in dad’s army)

• Jib

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:15 AM

• lochinvar

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:16 AM

It must be a fine dividing line between self interest and ambition such as seen with Juventus signing Ronaldo.
    Juventus is a listed company in Italy. The day his transfer was announced their share price rose by 200m euro. 500,000 Adidad shirts were sold at 100 euro each. It’s big business, they know what they are doing.

Must make Ashley feel very inferior.

• Jib

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:16 AM

+ Barkel

• Jib

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:20 AM

Loch
    When Beckham signed for Real Madrid
    in 2003 it was estimated his fee was paid
    by shirt sales after 3 weeks.
    I think MA would be as aware as anyone of that.

That was 4 years before Ashley bought NUFC

• Jib

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:21 AM

SSN showing Rafa’s interview NOW

• Jib

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:23 AM

He looks quite laid back
    but
    not giving anything away on the transfer front
    which you would expect

• magscar

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:28 AM

Robleenio

Thanks. Yes somethings to miss but in general the area is still recognisable and generally has been enhanced.

Might try to see what has become of the Spanish Ciy ( building) since it has reopened after the recent redevelopment as i am up coming weekend (Americana Festival) . Sorry to see the road cut through what was the fair ground some years back ( part of my misspent youth).

Still have family in area and use Facebook North Shields sites to keep abreast of then and now

Oh fat fingers to blame as I moved away in 75 not 73 although had been working away from area since then.

Anyway as Jail mightbe ona break soon back to football …

Rafa IN

• lesh

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:36 AM

TNMW

Here’s the link to the True Faith analysis of the 2016/17 accounts.

It’s written in lay terms, language even I can understand. It also the exposes the myth about the £zillion wage bill too as well as breaking down income streams over the years. There’s so much potential to be seen but friend Mikey boy seems loath to exploit it preferring to give SD free advertising and spirit assets out of our club

• lesh

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:40 AM

Robleenio

Someone suggested you live in North Shields and if that’s the case you could pop into Spoons and have an early breakfast with Jib.

• Reilly

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:40 AM

Keith Downie
    @SkySports_Keith
    Chat with Rafa Benitez at Newcastle’s training camp in Dublin.

Me: “Rafa, are you under the impression you have to sell before you can buy?”
    Benitez: “Yeah, maybe. I think it’s normal for us now to be like that. Unfortunately we wheel and deal – it’s the way for us.”

• L Toon

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:43 AM

Keith Downie

?@SkySports_Keith

Chat with Rafa Benitez at Newcastle’s training camp in Dublin.

Me: “Rafa, are you under the impression you have to sell before you can buy?”

Keith Downie

?@SkySports_Keith

More from Rafa on transfers (or lack of): “As soon as the price goes high I know we can’t buy them (players). We have to be realistic with our budget, maybevsell some players and then buy some players. We have to adapt; we know the situation.”

• Reilly

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:43 AM

Keith Downie
    @SkySports_Keith
    More from Rafa on transfers (or lack of): “As soon as the price goes high I know we can’t buy them (players). We have to be realistic with our budget, maybe sell some players and then buy some players. We have to adapt; we know the situation.”

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:53 AM

“Sell before you buy” – does this mean the budget is minimal, or that there is no preparedness to carry too large a squad?

Be great to have 23 capable, reliable, EPL quality players and no deadwood, and also a rarity for us.

• magscar

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:54 AM

Is the use of “We” significant? – as opposed to say “they” -not seen video so can’t judge his demeanor. Is he on board or merely accepting his fate?

• Lascelles sells sea shells by the sea shore

Jul 17, 2018 at 12:04 PM

Sounds like Rafa has accepted the ‘weight division’ the club would wish to punch at going on some of these snippets. If he is accepting of it and not spitting fire and fury then it’s obviously been justified and realistic for him, that would be enough for me, is he playing his budget down so he doesn’t get extorted in an unrealistic transfer market?

• RobLeenio

Jul 17, 2018 at 12:07 PM

The interview is available here

• All Aboot Toon

Jul 17, 2018 at 12:07 PM

I seem to recall Fergie saying something about the merchandising
    paying for Andy Cole in the first few weeks.

• RobLeenio

Jul 17, 2018 at 12:10 PM

He looks relaxed about it, offers no explanation as to why it is how it is, smiles about things and says specifically they are looking for character rather than names.

Significantly, still no mention of the management or the Chuckle Brothers by name. It’s like the team are operating in their own little bubble completely separate to the club.

I would say he’s leaving a great deal unsaid. The very future of our club depends on the content of what he is not saying.

And why did the guy not ask him about his contract and the ongoing club sale saga? Was he briefed not to mention it before the interview started?

• Lascelles sells sea shells by the sea shore

Jul 17, 2018 at 12:13 PM

Was it a 1 to 1 interview or a presser… I can’t watch the clip yet due to being in the dentist waiting room!!! Lol

• Lascelles sells sea shells by the sea shore

Jul 17, 2018 at 12:16 PM

I am debating with myself about heading to Dublin tonight for the game if I can get my hands on tickets and depending on how much the ‘butcher’ dentists me!!! I suppose a 5er isn’t much to ask to watch all the preseason games if I can’t get down… Is anyone from the blog attending tonight?

• ronaldo aarons

Jul 17, 2018 at 12:16 PM

It may be just me but I get the sense that Rafa understands the position he is in and accepts what Ashley is like. He knows they are limited in what they can do but rather kick up a fuss and let any negativity impact on the squad, he’s remaining positive and hopefully will have a successful season before walking away without signing a contract.

• getoutofworeclub

Jul 17, 2018 at 12:21 PM

And there u go we ain’t got no money same sh1t different season I new this was going to happen Ashley coudnt give a toss about this club where is all the money gone what a joke Rafa will still till the end of the season then be gone so what’s next for this circus club r the season ticket holders just going to expect this cos yet again back to square one one thing I will agree on is support Rafa this season injoy it and then stay away don’t go back don’t buy and football tops nothing stay away till Ashley sells its the only way

• RobLeenio

Jul 17, 2018 at 12:28 PM

lascelles, it’s a short 2 minute one-on-one outdoors on the edge of the training pitch

• barkel

Jul 17, 2018 at 12:33 PM

@Lascelles

I’m going tonight, tickets are still available for €15

• jazzyp

Jul 17, 2018 at 12:35 PM

find it quite funny how NUFC want close to £20 million for a striker they consider not to be good enough to play for us, but then they won’t spend anywhere near that to get anyone who is good enough ??? Surely they know better will cost more?
    What do we make of the Benitez interview guy’s??
    Holding his cards close to his chest maybe?

• Munster Mag

Jul 17, 2018 at 12:36 PM

I’m going tonight too, bringing the two kids. Daughter delighted she met Rafa at really wants to be there tonight. 400Km round trip. Howay the lads!!

• Jib

Jul 17, 2018 at 12:37 PM

Keith Downie is a shite interviewer
    I had difficulty understanding some of the
    Scots gobbledegook he was firing at Rafa
    Makes no allowances for the fact that English
    isn’t Rafa’s first language.

Mind he ain’t the only one at Sky to do it