Rafa Knew Loan Moves Would Be Important This Summer – But Miniscule Progress Made

It seems that at the end of the season Rafa was told that Newcastle were short of money for transfers in the summer.

Why we are short of money is a mystery to us but that’s another matter.

Once the season ended Rafa knew loan deals would be important and was on the phone to a number of European clubs including PSG, Inter-Milan, Chelsea, and Roma to see which players could be available for a season-long loan.

But that preparatory work that Rafa did has resulted in not one loan deal from the continent being completed.

Every transfer window seems to show how difficult it is for Newcastle to bring in new players to the club – either permanently or on loan.

We cannot sell our players very quickly either.

Rafa Benitez on the phone in his Benton office – is it good news – is it a Messi loan?

However, Rafa did a lot of work earlier this summer and he was able to get Robert Kenedy in for the season on loan from Chelsea, and that was a big win for Rafa and for the club.

Rafa talked recently in the Chronicle and was asked if he had to sell before he can buy this summer:

“It seems it is more or less like that.”

“To manage the players who have value in the market and see if we can find some players at the right price.”

“It is not ideal but we will try to manage the best way possible.”

“I was expecting maybe something different but we will manage what is going on and try to be sure that we bring the best players possible with the conditions we have, and try to improve the squad.”

“I hope I can still strengthen the squad. I have been trying hard for two months to be sure we have players to bring on loan.”

One thing we seem unable to do is to move quickly for players and we regularly seem to get into a stalemate with negotiations for a player either coming pot going.

Like for example what is going on with Chancel Mbemba’s proposed move to Porto and with Matt Ritchie’s possible move to Stoke City.

And we couldn’t even pay £2M more than we bid for top striker target Alassane Plea, who recently joined Borussia Monchengladbach for £22M after we had bid £20M for the French striker.

Raf has said many times before that the way Newcastle do transfers has to change and we have to go in early for players and do the business quickly if we are to get our targets.

That has not yet been learned by Newcastle’s hierarchy (code name for Mike Ashley) and time is beginning to run out.

If things don’t change rather quickly then Rafa is likely to leave the club next summer when his contract runs out.

And who can blame him?

• Nostradamus the Geordie

Jul 19, 2018 at 4:20 PM

Here’s the biggest cock up in Newcastle’s season last year, we finished tenth. Yes, we finished tenth only after getting Kenedy and Dubs in January on loan, finishing tenth gave Mike Ashley a huge smile and plenty of ammunition to screw up Rafa’s plan. Rafa could have screwed things up for Newcastle by playing fringe players and have us finish just above the relegation but Rafa isn’t that kind of manager, maybe Rafa screwing team selection and us finished near relegation would have been better for the fans to make Ashley see the light. Ashley, and I know Rafa will not admit this has told to our manager, listen Rafa we finished tenth with a couple of loan signings and if we get them back for the whole season we should be able to finish around that spot again, here’s what I can do for you this season, I will sanction the goal keeper because he’s cheap and kenedy on loan with an option to purchase end of season, I will let you get three more player’s either big ones that you can loan for the season with an option to buy or permanent players from funds you raise by selling of players you don’t want or free agents where we save. I know it sucks finishing tenth when maybe 16th / 17th place would have made Ashley think shite that was close and yes we were all very happy with that season, I’m hoping that the players Rafa deems not needed will be sold within the next 7 days raising some much needed funds so we can go out and get the three extra players we need.

• Mag52

Jul 19, 2018 at 4:39 PM

The problem is that Rafa is such a good manager that, even with a paltry transfer budget and relying on loan players, Ashley knows that he will keep us well clear of relegation.
    Rafa is by no means a spendthrift, but he knows that to achieve any sort of the success that the fans crave, he needs to get in some quality players. To do that he would need to spend a bob or two. Scrimping and saving, putting up with his third, fourth, fifth choice of players is not his style, nor should it be the style of a world rated manager.
    Unless there’s a pretty quick change of direction from the top, Rafa will, quite rightly, say adios at the end of the season – just hope it’s not before that.

• Jib

Jul 19, 2018 at 4:55 PM

That article by the Chronic has a real feel
    of desperation about it.
    I think after the media day in Kildare the club
    has had a news black-out
    Lee Ryder and Mark Douglas must be tearing
    what little hair they have left – out.
    As long as I can remember the EC has had to
    have up to date news on NUFC to survive.

• awaydays

Jul 19, 2018 at 4:56 PM

I love Newcastle but Jesus I swear our club is in its own little box … all the media out there havent a clue whats going on at Newcastle nobody from the club ever speaks out and says this or that … everything is forever speculation … the only truthful information we get ever is rafa. Feel for the bloke I really do he deserves so much more

• awaydays

Jul 19, 2018 at 4:58 PM

Also unpopular opinion about rondon but
    I do rate him works hard for everything and seems like he cares about his club … better service means more goals. He’s not amazing but a dam sight better than what we have … Gayle could then be used as he was at palace an effective sub

• c-dog

Jul 19, 2018 at 5:03 PM

Everyone loves Rafa. He could have left for countless jobs but has chose to stick with us because he is so revered by us. In many ways we’re similar to Liverpool with respect to fan loyalty and passion. It’s devastating that’ll he’ll probably leave and we’ll be left with what if…. And nobody could argue when he does. Mike Ashley is a vile owner. Difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel

• RobLeenio

Jul 19, 2018 at 5:24 PM

Who’s the better owner, Mike Ashley with his indifference and neglect

OR

Delia Smith with her drunken, cringey passion? We all laughed at her, but I’d be happy to have an owner who cared so much.

• Tosun A. Wobbler

Jul 19, 2018 at 5:26 PM

Anybody up for a light diversion away from the woes of loans, MA, no budget, no buys before sales, no contracts, no assurances etc.
    Well..I think it’s high time the FA took measures to stamp out the epidemic of moronic hand gestures that are sweeping thru’ footy.
    E.G. the player throwing both hands up adjacent to his ears in a declaration sheer innocence…”ref..despite the fact that you’ve just watched me hack the bejabers out of this guy, I was nowhere near the scene of the crime and to prove it, my hands are up in the air”
    Or.. there’s the emphatic side to side waggling of the index finger to inform the ref that the decision he is about to make is a mistake because either, that crunching tackle, despite the exposed shinbone, was completely fair, or before you give a corner, I didn’t touch the ball, etc.
    There are more and it’s time they packed it in. It doesn’t fool anybody and they look like prats!
    I thank you!

• Little h

Jul 19, 2018 at 5:27 PM

Robleenio
    Id rather barry moat came back with an offer than mike stay around

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 19, 2018 at 5:32 PM

I’d rather have Raul Moat than Mike Ashley, in fact I wish Mikey had bumped in to him that day instead of that poor copper!

• GeordieTwo

Jul 19, 2018 at 5:38 PM

This is one theory as to Ashley’s behavior and I hope it’s incorrect. It may be that Ashley is deliberately driving Rafa out of the club because Rafa is far too ambitious for Ashley to deal with season after season. I also think he is probably beginning to take his loan back in preparation to selling. If Rafa stays to the end of his contract we should survive and the allows Ashley to sell up and get out. That last bit is the only good part of this idea.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 19, 2018 at 5:44 PM

Geordie Two,
    He’s deliberately driving him out and trying to show him who’s boss, we have a golden opportunity to push on with a business savvy top class manager but Ashley obviously thinks there is more profit in doing it his way despite the fact we will no doubt be relegated again.

• jimiley

Jul 19, 2018 at 5:50 PM

Rafa will stay for a year as no club is willing to buy out his contract.An indication that he is not wanted by the top clubs. We will stay up after another crap season and a flirt with relegation.
    Gone in May. Staveley will attend the last match of the season to encourage the dumb to renew. Pardew appointed manager to wind up the fans a bit more. And still they flock to the ground to put cash in Mikes pocket hoping for a miracle. No miracle. Mike stays to pocket another 120 million from SKY. He wants to sell but every offer is countered by raising the asking price by 100 million. He will NEVER sell and he will never buy a proper player because he stuffs it all in his pocket. Hates the Toon.
    Relegated the following season.
    NUFC. The club with no future and such loyal and dumb fans.STAY AWAY.

• jimiley

Jul 19, 2018 at 5:57 PM

Ashley will never sell because he is making a 100 million a year here. Why would he sell for 300 million?
    When we get relegated he will give somebody like Pardew 80 million to get us back in the premiership for a few years and 100 million a year profit until we get relegated again. A top manager like Rafa gets sod all because he does not want to achieve anything in the Prem apart from survival. STAY AWAY. Cashley is taking the piss. Everybody knows it. We all know the club has no future under him but we keep turning up and ensuring his presence. Dumb or what?

• lochinvar

Jul 19, 2018 at 6:04 PM

RobLeenio@7
    Bet Delia’s pies are more tasty than Ashley’s cheap cheesy burgers.
    What we need is better pies.
    And a striker.

• jimiley

Jul 19, 2018 at 6:05 PM

Rafa will not keep us well clear of relegation. Other clubs in the bottom half are spending more on players than our record buyof 16 million. Hammers have spent 100 million. We have spent nowt. We are treading water while our relegation competitors are spending to survive. We will be in another dogfight. Jocelu to the rescue eh? Or Rondon on loan instead of Mitro? We are deep in it and the fat man is relying on the manager to rescue us one last time. Lets hope the fat man is right. But he has been wrong plenty times.

• GeordieTwo

Jul 19, 2018 at 6:05 PM

I remain more hopeful that Ashley will sell up. Another relegation would be disaster as it wouldn’t allow us to recover enough from the last one. This clearly looks like a deliberate effort by Ashley to force Rafa out though. The sale of Mitro, and Ritchie is absolutely imperative in order to give us the cash to bring in one good striker. And if we accept payments then we will have to pay out in installments as well. If no further player movement occurs all it would take would be a few key injuries to put us back in relegation danger even with Rafa at the helm.

• GeordieTwo

Jul 19, 2018 at 6:08 PM

This looks just like last summer to me. If Charnley isn’t up to it we will have a very difficult season. And Rafa has also warned that we must spend on the Academy. For him that’s a key commitment as well.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 19, 2018 at 6:11 PM

G2,
    I think we can get past blaming Churnley, Rafa has given the list of loan targets he wants, if Ashley is just saying no to everything then what’s Churnley supposed to do. Same with Mitro, Ashley obviously has the final say on what we’ll accept and he’s buggering about, it’s beyond a joke.

• GeordieTwo

Jul 19, 2018 at 6:14 PM

There’s no chance of moving up in the table with Ashley. He only ever wanted mid table to collect the TV money. But the game doesn’t work like that. There is no way to guarantee that the club can stay mid table with nospending. We win the Accountants’ Cup again by default.

• GeordieTwo

Jul 19, 2018 at 6:16 PM

I’m checking less and less often on NUFC now for the window because I know nothing will happen. At best we sell Mitro and Ritchie and buy Roundone. No real improvement there.

• jimiley

Jul 19, 2018 at 6:16 PM

I know West ham do not pay for their ground but neither do we.
    How can they spend 100 million on players and we spend nowt. We are currently 10 million in PROFIT for the fat man. The other teams at the bottom and those promoted have spent 30 and 40 million.
    You do not need to ask where the money is going.
    I ask: what is the point of putting money in his pocket? There is no reinvestment in the club. You might as well give it to Putin and wonder what the hell is going on.

• jimiley

Jul 19, 2018 at 6:24 PM

It would be interesting to see what would happen if Rafa left.
    It might be the best thing to happen to the club. It might lance the boil. The fans might actually do something.

• geordiemark

Jul 19, 2018 at 6:36 PM

130 million quid plus season ticket sales plus shirt sales and free advertising for crap direct for the past 11 years, I just wonder how much the club would have gained just threw the advertising alone, a company that Ashley doesn’t even fully own I wonder if he does get money off crap direct and doesn’t put it into the club, how long does the fans need before they realise there having the wool pulled over there eyes season in season out, stop going, no more shirts no more buying season tickets no nothing and park outside his crap direct shops and cause hell on like the rangers fans did or just keep going and hand your money over and watch him laugh all the way to the wallpaper bank

• Toonces

Jul 19, 2018 at 6:38 PM

Jimiley @ 22 – not sure who the pundits were but on my satellite radio they said on the show that West Ham have taken loans against the future TV money. Apparently a ~£40M loan for this window alone. The money is guaranteed to come in provided PL status is maintained and one year after (parachute payment) should the club somehow get relegated. It is a no-risk loan for the lender -basically they use the bank loan as advance of the Sky money. NUFC could easily do the same if so inclined.

• martoon

Jul 19, 2018 at 6:39 PM

Here we go again it is all the fans fault for supporting the team!
    As far as I’m concerned my ST money goes towards player & staff wages and the general running of the club.
    If Ashley is siphoning money off it will be from the Sky money which you don’t have to worry about as you watch our games on dodgy streams and contribute nothing whatsoever to the club you’re supposed to support!

• Our Toon

Jul 19, 2018 at 6:42 PM

I’m glad I didn’t renew my season ticket, came back after a hiatus thinking the club might be sold but this nonsense is never ending with Ashley. He’s deliberately trying to force rafa out in my opinion.

It’s horrible to constantly see us scrape the barrel but seems like this window we are doing it mire than normal…….that’s saying something

• geordiemark

Jul 19, 2018 at 6:47 PM

martoon

sorry I disagree, I am a fan and have been since I could walk, I stopped going and putting money in ashleys pocket 4 years ago, yeah I may watch the match via tv but I pay the price of my sky subscription so really by doing that and the club getting 130 million a season from sky tv am putting that way but it is the fans fault they have the power to make things change yet never do, I remember the times when I stood in the ground chucking it down with rain with only 11,000 in the ground I went rain or shine snow gales the lot 4 years ago I saw straight through Ashley and said that’s it until his gone I wont return

• Reilly

Jul 19, 2018 at 7:01 PM

No one needs to boycott what fans need to do is get organised and target SD.bus loads of fans heading down to his sd depo and bring it to a stand still with peaceful protests.How long would the shareholders put up with that.

• sing in the corner

Jul 19, 2018 at 7:11 PM

JfA
    Yeah mugged off is right man.
    That’s what I was weighing up at the start of the month.
    As I said, Rafa is the only bloke I trust in the organisation. And my reading of his relative silence is that he is being pissed about, again. So it was a logical choice not to renew, for me. Something has to change.
    I’ve been in the Gallowgate end every season since I was 6. Home crowd average fan is changing, slowly but surely. Glad to get away from some of the ST holders round and about my seat anyway. Lacking passion, some not even watching the game, chatting to the mate or wife, more interested in their chips n curry sauce, or talking shite showing a lack of understanding of what is going on. My tickets will probably have been bought up by a couple more pensioners paying their concession prices.. Nowt against pensioners mind, but if you go in the Gallowgate end this season and anywhere else in the ground probably you’ll be shocked to see how much the crowd is ageing. Strange..
    But anyway, Good luck to em.

• Oldgit1

Jul 19, 2018 at 7:14 PM

It appears to be reported that Adam Armstrong is to be sold with a price of 3m on his head. Dam shame was hoping to see the lad developing into another Kane.
    Hope it’s wrong.

• hibbit

Jul 19, 2018 at 7:16 PM

Oldgit1 @31
    whos reporting that ??????

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 19, 2018 at 7:22 PM

sitc,
    I was torn, I sit next to a Newcastle mad family of four and both parents like a sup and two young kids on the other side of me one of whom loves to chat about football, goes to away games with his Dad, we’re in a perfect bit of the Gallowgate so didn’t really want to give that up. It really has gone to far this time. I remember listening to that podcast with Hardy, Caulkin and Steve Wraith, SW mentioned targeting his shops in the next bout of protests if they materialise, so like reilly, above says, once Rafa goes and we’re stuck with him and some puppet that has to be the way forward, 5K spread out over his nine NE shops, not a bad picket line that in a peaceful protest, 500 people in and out of his shop all day could cost him tens of thousands.

• Canuck Mag

Jul 19, 2018 at 7:24 PM

The sun is reporting that. Enough said.

• DaveD1000

Jul 19, 2018 at 7:33 PM

Jail
    ya bastid, 34 those few starting sentences sound like pure fing heaven

• GeordieTwo

Jul 19, 2018 at 7:33 PM

When a manager comes out and says he has missed one of his top targets in Plea and the we have to struggle to do business and sell to buy you know a club is in deep trouble. And if we have to have a replacement in before selling someone like Ritchie that is further trouble because Chutney never gets anything done quickly with Ashley in the background doing the approval. The pressure is going to mount and the supporters will continue to grow angrier but I see no real leverage to bring to use against the owner. Very sad times once again.

• Reilly

Jul 19, 2018 at 7:34 PM

Keith Downie
    @SkySports_Keith
    Newcastle are interested in signing Mexican international Diego Reyes. The centre back is a free agent after his contract came to an end at Porto. Fenerbahce have made an offer for the 25-year-old.

• Reilly

Jul 19, 2018 at 7:37 PM

So we are selling Chancel to Porto and we’re trying to sign the player he’s replacing on a free..WTF 😆

1 2 3 5