Ashley’s Self Created Transfer “Crisis” At Newcastle – Is This All Really True?

The Chronicle is reporting that Rafa Benitez will likely not sit down with the Newcastle hierarchy to start up negotiations on his new contract again until the transfer window closes on Thursday, August 9th.

That means the reported standoff between the two men – Mike Ashley will not loosen the purse strings until Rafa signs a new contract – will continue.

And that would suggest that Rafa will have very little money to spend in the last 18 days of this crucial transfer window.

This further suggests that owner Mike Ashley is unwilling to strengthen the side in an attempt to get Rafa to sign a new contract.

That’s ridiculous to the extreme – if it’s true.

Mike Asley – just sell up – please!

Why Ashley has to create problems in every single transfer window, we don’t know – but that’s what he seems to do.

This is the fourth transfer window in a row that he has withheld funds from Rafa Benitez.

It’s a wonder Rafa is still at the club but he’s still here solely because of the fans and realizes the vast potential at Newcastle United FC – as do the fans.

Rafa doesn’t just want money for transfers to improve the side but he wants guarantees from the owner that the infrastructure at Newcastle – such as the training grounds and Youth development as two examples – will be improved via financial investments.

The Newcastle hierarchy – Mike Ashley, Justin Barnes, and Lee Charnley – have withheld funds and if that doesn’t end before August 9th, then Rafa will have to have scraped together some players the best way he can.

If this is all true, then Rafa should have resigned by now with that kind of treatment.

That’s just a ridiculous way to treat a world-class manager, and it’s so difficult to believe that’s what’s happening at the moment.

But we suppose we should expect that from an obstinate owner who has been nothing but trouble for Newcastle for 11 long and painful years which have come with two relegations.

Why doesn’t Mr. Ashley just sell up and leave Newcastle – and allow fans and Rafa to dream again?

• jazzyp

Jul 22, 2018 at 2:32 PM

Rafa is a proud man who will honour his contract at aNUFC. He will ‘wheel & deal’ and produce a team which stays in the premier league. He will do that for the fans and the city who love him. However, he will walk at the end of the season knowing that he gave his best in an impossible situation.
    Rafa has stated many times the potential Nufc have is in terms what project he had when he took the helm at Liverpool.Sadly this has been diminished over time by the lack of any Ambition or optimism from the owner.
    Sad times ahead and this is not a post of Negativity, More of shear frustration that us as fans are being let down again through yet another transfer window.
    Ashley has proven he is more than willing to gamble with the future of the club and will never bow down to anyone whether right or wrong.

• Munster Mag

Jul 22, 2018 at 2:33 PM

Jesper, there is no point asking questions of jail re rafa signings that are poor. It’s all or nothing in Jails world. I did a round trip of nearly 400km to meet Rafa and the players but he probably still thinks I hate him because I questioned some of his tactics in some games in the past, and some of his weaker signings. I think we could have done better than Joselu etc but he did well with others. I think Rafa and the recruitment team are to be trusted, but you can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear. We can thank Rafa at the end of the season and then watch us be relegated 15 months later.

• ronaldo aarons

Jul 22, 2018 at 2:33 PM

What a mug shot Ed!! Going to give me very violent dreams!

• Munster Mag

Jul 22, 2018 at 2:36 PM

12 months later

• sing in the corner

Jul 22, 2018 at 2:37 PM

Roll up, roll up, plenty of room for new season ticket holders.. Over 5200 available.

• Munster Mag

Jul 22, 2018 at 2:37 PM

BTW I can’t imagine kenedy is too chuffed with all this nonsense from Ashley. He could have gone to a better set up than nufc

• getoutofworeclub

Jul 22, 2018 at 2:38 PM

At the end of the season when Rafa walks all fans should do the same stop going there is no point if Ashley won’t spend and back one of the best managers we’ve had since Keegan and Robson it’s the same every season he dosent give a toss so why should we

• getoutofworeclub

Jul 22, 2018 at 2:41 PM

I think jib will still go

• TomaKaThor

Jul 22, 2018 at 2:41 PM

And after Rafa leaves at the end of the season,our better players will follow,and sad to say who can freaking blame them…it simply never ends with Mike Ashley..anytime the club progresses he remarkably destroys it all and drags us back down..simply had enough we will never progress until he goes..which he won’t until he has took us back down and left us there…total moron and a disgusting human who should never of been allowed to buy a football club (something so precious to so many people)

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 22, 2018 at 2:45 PM

Xanax (alprazolam) is a benzodiazepine (ben-zoe-dye-AZE-eh-peen). Alprazolam affects chemicals in the brain that may be unbalanced in people with anxiety. Xanax is used to treat anxiety disorders, panic disorders, and anxiety caused by depression. Xanax may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.

• Jib

Jul 22, 2018 at 2:51 PM

Anyone surprised Jail has had Xanax prescribed for anxiety ?

• jazzyp

Jul 22, 2018 at 2:55 PM

Sitc

Loads of ST’s available in the Gallowgate corner which shows how much the fans are in uproar at what is happening at NUFC. Usually this section is the first to fill every season and all blocks are available..Even the singing section

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 22, 2018 at 2:56 PM

Hi OG…I don’t think I am overstepping the mark…or at least that’s not the intension!

…but I am not going to accept “the use of a term if used right or wrong” should spark such argument. Not by a long shot 🙂 …then it’s just people wanting to pick a fight.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 22, 2018 at 3:01 PM

Munster…I stand up for what I believe I just don’t like when people cannot paraphrase what I am saying or are to lazy to read the whole lot…

…the issue with a misuse of an expression shouldn’t start a debate or a avalanche trying to misquote what I am trying to say…

Jail for me wasn’t really an issue here – if you disregard on of his posts. It’s more so those who flog at any chance of an argument.

• sing in the corner

Jul 22, 2018 at 3:01 PM

Jazzy
    Yeah, no half season tickets went on sale Christmas time last season,none available! I’ve spoken to a few who are wishing they didn’t renew this time, and plenty for whom this is the last. The worm is finally turning in my opinion. There will be a mass chucking of season tickets at the end of this season for sure, should Ashley remain and Rafa leaves, as he certainly should the way things are.

• lochinvar

Jul 22, 2018 at 3:03 PM

Joe Hart
    “There’s no league that I’d say no to. I’m open, but I want to do what’s right for me at this point of my career and I want to give all of myself to the right cause.”

Sunderland might be a good destination then.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 22, 2018 at 3:04 PM

sitc,
    I’m not sure if there’s a cooling off period for mine, considering I miss half the games anyway I’m beginning to wonder if it’s worth it if this is how we’re getting repaid. The only reason I don’t want Rafa to walk now is the faint chance someone buys us this season otherwise he might as well put an end to it now and get the ball rolling.

• sing in the corner

Jul 22, 2018 at 3:07 PM

Dig your heels in Senor Benitez!
    This really could be the end game in sight. If the fans stick together this time, and organise, Ashley will be flushed out into the open.
    Are you prepared for short term pain lads n lasses? It might take relegation and a massive chunk out of the club.
    I think it’s worth it… Because there is NO HOPE of Ashley changing his ways if we continue like this!

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 22, 2018 at 3:11 PM

Jiblets,
    It would be a surprise to me!

• sing in the corner

Jul 22, 2018 at 3:13 PM

Jail
    Rafa could walk after this season if Ashley is still here. Fans promote every initiative that hits SD and its gaffer throughout this season.
    War ensues when Rafa leaves. the fans rise up, Ashley and his company is discredited to the point he has to go. Rafa comes back with a new owner.
    Such a simplistic dreamworld scenario, I realise that.
    But it could happen this way?

• jazzyp

Jul 22, 2018 at 3:13 PM

Sitc

Shirebrook and I are done after this season mate. Personally I have been travelling up and down the A1 for nearly 30 years mate to the ground,And enough is enough.I’ll support the lads and Rafa this season as there gonna need every bit of help they need in the ground, But I refuse to keep lining the leeches pockets anymore when he does not have the best interest of the club at heart.
    It is alright keep saying We will be here long after Ashley has gone which is true to an extent, Although we have been saying this for the last decade and I see no hope in sight

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 22, 2018 at 3:18 PM

sitc,
    I’m just hoping a credible group emerges to organise picket lines outside the shops, the message must go out to stop buying shirts as well as I doubt very much that the profits of those are going back in to the club anyway. I understand that irgwg are just fans and are probably recieving hundreds of e mails but I haven’t had a reply yet, so that’s not a good sign, I think it will properly kick off once it’s too late.

• sing in the corner

Jul 22, 2018 at 3:20 PM

Jazzy
    Well said marra..
    We will all flood back to St James when an owner who allows the club to develop, (whatever division we are in) takes over from this nauseating turd.

I am watching the fans groups on Twitter etc, if any reasonable actions are organised I am all over it. Sometimes you’ve gotta stand up and be counted. Numbers are what the fans have on their side. Think seriously about turning up to things if you can, if you support this… Everyone counts..

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 22, 2018 at 3:21 PM

Noel Gallagher apparently said to his ten year old son who was sobbing after Englands defeat against Croatia ”Don’t worry son you could be a fcuking Geordie”

• sing in the corner

Jul 22, 2018 at 3:23 PM

JfA
    Aye me too.
    That away shirt is a beaut. But I’d rather burn 65quid than buy it for the young right now.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 22, 2018 at 3:25 PM

sitc,
    Unfortunately everything seems to be happening via twitter, I and many thousands more do not us e twitter, it has to be more widespread as well.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 22, 2018 at 3:28 PM

Jesper,
    To be honest nobody gave a foot whether your English comprehension wasn’t perfect, it did seem very much like you were saying good riddance to Rafa and given your stance on his transfer dealings it would seem like a likely thing to say, we’ve cleared that up now so can we move on please.

• sing in the corner

Jul 22, 2018 at 3:29 PM

Shearer has been quiet on the IRGWG thing.

I was frustrated with him taking forever to speak out about Ashley at the height of fan unrest the last time, when it was needed most..
    Ex players, northeast celebs etc need to use their platform to give fans’ efforts a mention or chip away at Ashley. Makes a big difference in ramping up a bit of pressure.

Howay the fans!

• lesh

Jul 22, 2018 at 3:33 PM

Jesper

One or two are wondering what you’re playing at. Are you deliberately trying to draw attention to yourself and then claim you’re being bullied?

Jesper, before I say more, I have no axe to grind with you and am trying to offer you some support.

But, you know as well as anyone else that Rafa has many many supporters and we all recognise that he is not super-human and will happily agree that he has made mistakes – wherever he’s been.

You are as aware as most of us that apart from Rafa’s first transfer window, he has had little support from Ashley especially in his first post-promotion window when substantial investment was needed to refresh a squad assembled for the championship season. Ashley seemingly promised investment but Rafa had to fight for what he got and had to make do signing some players he might not have had he been given more support. The result being an unbalanced squad and in some areas (eg striker) a set of players ill equipped to fight to establish itself in the Prem.

That being so, Rafa was forced to play games using safety-first tactics to avoid defeat or scrape a win – the aim to avoid relegation, which we did.

Yet still Jesper, you persist in claiming that Rafa made some bad signings?

By way of example, let us assume your car breaks down and you haven’t got the money to have it repaired with good, new parts but have enough to buy a used part that’ll get you home. Mmm, what would you do? Refuse the used part and find another way home without your car?

Jesper, try to see reason and appreciate your anti-Rafa arguments put you in a minority – Rafa needs our support not monotonous criticism!

• DubaiMicky

Jul 22, 2018 at 3:38 PM

More to the point Hamilton is leading the German GP and Vettal’s crashed out!

Amazing race – Hamilton started in 14th.

• Jib

Jul 22, 2018 at 3:47 PM

Does that make Lewis Hamilton one of the greatest ever ?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 22, 2018 at 3:47 PM

In all honestly Jail…that was cleared up many threads ago…even before the whole thing escalated…

It’s just the same old on here as always…

• Jib

Jul 22, 2018 at 3:47 PM

He’s just gone and won !!

• DubaiMicky

Jul 22, 2018 at 3:49 PM

Jib, greatest ever? I think Senna is/was, different times though, so who knows. I hate to say it that Schumacher has to be in the top three too.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 22, 2018 at 3:59 PM

Lesh…no offence taken and no I am not trying to draw attention…

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 22, 2018 at 4:03 PM

…and I don’t have an issue with you either Lesh

• kimbo

Jul 22, 2018 at 4:20 PM

First home game let’s show Ashley we want him out . Not stop singing we want Ashley out.

• DaveD1000

Jul 22, 2018 at 4:22 PM

Senna is. Hamilton rates and drives similar to his friend and mentor Jackie Stewart.

• neverbeento wembly

Jul 22, 2018 at 4:25 PM

Who goes to S.D. to buy gear & line the fat b**tards pockets? A total boycott of the store with a few picket carrying protestors would get his attention. Money is the only thing in this horrible mans twisted world

• neverbeento wembly

Jul 22, 2018 at 4:27 PM

Kimbo a good idea but to make it even better all attending should carry a poster promoting his main rival

1 2 3 6