Benitez Reported To Be After Free Agent Croatian World Cup Midfielder

There’s some good news today in the Mirror – if it’s true – that Newcastle have been linked with a move for Croatia international midfielder Milan Badelj.

His four-year stint at Fiorentina has ended, and the 29-year-old is available as a free agent.

Badelj was part of Croatia’s squad at the World Cup in Russia, and he scored the only goal in their win against Iceland.

Rafa would have known about Milan Badelj becoming available as a free agent this summer.

Croatian International Milan Badelj available as a free agent

And if Rafa cannot get Isaac Hayden to stay at Newcastle, he could make a move for the Croatian International although he’s another player in his late 20s and Mike Ashley wants younger players brought into the side.

But with almost no money available from the owner here is a good player we could get into the squad cheaply – and he would add competition in central midfield.

Somehow we can’t see Newcastle being able to lure Badelj to Newcastle as a free agent and other clubs will offer him more.

But we have been wrong before.

He would be another good bargain if we can the get the 41 times capped Croatian International to Tyneside.

He started his career at Dinamo Zagreb and moved to Hamburg in 2012 and stayed in the Bundesliga for two years before joining Italian club Fiorentina four years ago for a fee of around €5M.

He’s played for all the Croatia youth sides from U16 to U21 and gained 63 youth caps.

He made his senior debut for Croatia during a Euro 2012 qualifying game against Malta; a match Croatia won 3–1 in September 2011,

Comments welcome.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 22, 2018 at 10:35 AM

Lindisfarne…I am pretty sure I was the one writing the lot so a bit rich of you to imply I am twisting anything…

…I am hearing a flog here who just want the good riddance part to be referring to Rafa and Rafa alone!

Says more about ones state of mind I would suggest!

• posada

Jul 22, 2018 at 10:39 AM

Could I just make my position on the EU clear.
    I’m not saying Leave was the right decision. I have a view, which I will keep to myself.
    Not for here.
    I’m worried about Leave as many of my family work in manufacturing etc.

My point was that the British public were fed up with their politicians on both sides.
    They chose to ignore their advice, which kinda tells you what they thought of them.

• Optimistic Panda

Jul 22, 2018 at 10:43 AM

£100m that’s far fetched even for the daily sport

• Nostradamus the Geordie

Jul 22, 2018 at 10:51 AM

Don’t expect any well-known players to sign for us, with Pinky and the brain running our club and Rafa not being able to sign a new deal due to Pinky and the brain not being the smartest kids in the playground. There are players out there that would sign for us in a heartbeat as they know the ground, city, fans and world class manager are waiting for them. But with no Rafa agreement in place why would a player want to sign for one year knowing he will be leaving, so doing some simple math that would take out 90 – 93% of players we could sign. The pains of being a Newcastle fan, my only wish this year is someone out there understands the club and buying it is a smart move.

• bettyswallocks

Jul 22, 2018 at 10:52 AM

Jesper……. At least you have finally had the guts to come out and say that you would like to see the back of Rafa for his incompetence in signing Joselu etc. This is what Tsunki was trying to prise from you last week. Surely it would have been easier to state your position back then which would have avoided all the fracas and the sad departure of Tsunki from the blog.

• count

Jul 22, 2018 at 10:54 AM

‘One’ means ‘me’ or ‘I’

• RUNAWAY777

Jul 22, 2018 at 10:55 AM

Yawn its sunday all shit flying about and nothing will happen off to work

• count

Jul 22, 2018 at 10:58 AM

People are suggestible and not really paying attention, hence the outcome of the EU vote.

• Ron Knee

Jul 22, 2018 at 11:02 AM

“If this is true Ashley is going to get so much burned when Rafa leaves mid-season and gets appointed at some other club leaving Ashley in another relegation battle…

“…good riddance some would say (just a shame regardless of any outcome we the fans are always the sore losers)”

jesper

Did you mean “Serves him right” (ie Ashley), rather than “good riddance”?

• ronaldo aarons

Jul 22, 2018 at 11:03 AM

Black and white barmy from previous thread
    Actually, there are quite a few Italians clubs chasing him and have spoken to his team before the World Cup. Napoli and Ac Milan being two. Even then, I wouldn’t a judge a player on how many teams are chasing them.

• Lindisfarne

Jul 22, 2018 at 11:13 AM

Jesper

Am I being ‘rich’ or are you? Am I being ‘rich’ at you or are you being ‘rich’ to everyone? Or do you feel ‘rich’ without being deserving?

• RUNAWAY777

Jul 22, 2018 at 11:28 AM

Just had a quick look at wolves and a few other teams starting spend make me wonder if we will be in the bottom 3 come xmas god i pray not as for me i will not be there this season but the fans that go i hope its not the case.

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 22, 2018 at 11:28 AM

NUFC 360
    NUFC 360
    @NUFC360
    6m
    #NUFC are one of four PL clubs interested in Lille’s Thiago Mendes. West Ham have enquired, while Huddersfield & Palace are also said to be interested in the 26-year-old.
    Lille value him at around £18m and there is also said to be interest from Lazio and Wolfsburg. [Times]

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 22, 2018 at 11:54 AM

Betsy…it’s easier to bang ones head then to reason with you..,

…that’s what Ibiza has been implying to ages!

Again on here everything leads back to ones state of mind!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 22, 2018 at 11:55 AM

Lindisfarne…I am sure that was what I was saying…would you need me to rephrase it? It’s sort of have become a common trend on here…

• hibbit

Jul 22, 2018 at 11:58 AM

ah yes jesper that one state of mind is yours thinking your always right,
    where are these hordes of posters that agree with you because i don’t see them

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 22, 2018 at 12:00 PM

Hi Rob…there’s no need to keep this one going…it’s bern explained to death what’s meant and even hibbit has replied back with a thumbs up but as always with this blog some some needs a good old fashioned argument…

It’s back at post #12 on this thread or the one before (not far back at least)

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 22, 2018 at 12:01 PM

*haha sorry Ron…for some reason you’re Rob now 🙂

• DaveD1000

Jul 22, 2018 at 12:04 PM

I cant figure out if Jesper is confusing Lind or if Lind is confusing Jesper but the pair of you have me cross eyed here

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 22, 2018 at 12:07 PM

Your back hibbit…so suddenly the answer you got is not enough? Pretty sure you wrote you got what I meant at last? Or did you mean something else by that earlier post?

hibbit
    Jul 22, 2018 at 9:09 AM
    Jesper, you mean goodriddence to Ashley LOL
    sorry but that’s not how it reads !!!!!

• Jib

Jul 22, 2018 at 12:09 PM

DaveD1000
    The secret is , if you haven’t got a clue
    about the theme of a blog , come on
    and make contentious circular arguments
    and you will get all the attention you crave

A few years ago there was loads of them
    Ibiza
    Catchy
    Ruddy
    etc. etc.
    but there is only Jesper hasn’t got bored with it
    although he did f@ck off for about 9 months
    (strangely when we were in the Championship)

• bettyswallocks

Jul 22, 2018 at 12:11 PM

Jesper………… You don’t need to reason. You have every right to be unhappy about the below par signings made by the club which you have highlighted constantly over a period of time.

When asked who you held responsible for the poor signings you hinted in a roundabout way that Rafa made the choices and that it was his responsibility for having signed the poor players. You didn’t seem to take into consideration that Rafa was restricted in his choice of players nor that his real choices higher up his shopping list were not implemented by the club . This is the contentious part of the discussion that you were inflexible on.

You have now finally come out and admitted that Rafa is responsible for his poor choice of signings and good riddance should he leave. You have every right to hold this view but please don’t start going in reverse again as any more back tracking will no doubt lead to more confusion
    I hope you are man enough to stand behind your opinions without having to revert to Reverend Ibiza for guidance.

• jazzyp

Jul 22, 2018 at 12:13 PM

The shit PR of NUFC to plant a story in TheSun about a £100M “warchest” which equates to only £17M per transfer window would be laughable if it weren’t so pathetic. The people running the club are not only incompetent and uncaring – they’re f@cking thick as mince.
    We told we bid 20 mill for plea then we haven’t any money. Right I will buy a horse sh@t cob but you gotta take a bite to prove ya loyaly.
    Mugs
    Ashley out

• Ron Knee

Jul 22, 2018 at 12:15 PM

jesper

In your clarification, you write:

“I think it’s very plausible Rafa could leave mid-season leaving Ashley in another relegation battle and good riddance on Ashley’s part so we won’t have anymore people misreading…”

Did you mean: a) Rafa will be happy to be rid of Ashley or b) Ashley will be happy to be rid of Rafa?

There’s a difference!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 22, 2018 at 12:15 PM

I think it’s pretty clear that Jesper meant good riddance to Ashley so can we just drop the subject now!!

And Mr Ashley just give Rafa the £100m now then he will do the right thing, he’s an honourable man, and sign your blo0dy contract.

Everything is really much simpler than you are making it.

• Jib

Jul 22, 2018 at 12:20 PM

Essex Geordie Bill
    I think it’s pretty clear that Jesper meant good riddance to Ashley
    Yeah but did he mean good riddance to Ashley from him
    Or
    good riddance to Ashley from Rafa
    Or
    good riddance to Ashley from Ed
    Or
    good riddance to Ashley from Jail

😛

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 22, 2018 at 12:21 PM

Ron…the reference to good riddance on Ashley was in terms of Rafa leaving…it suits him well (Ashley that is)

I actually quite confused as to half this is not obvious…and even if it wasn’t half it wasn’t in the ongoing dialogue afterwards! It’s like some just want to misread it. You’ll have to understand Ron, this is how it looks to me and I am not saying that’s your intention..,

…it just comes off like that as it has done with a few others. Then there’s those how see this as an opportunity for an argument (right Betsy…)

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 22, 2018 at 12:21 PM

Jib

OK, whatever!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 22, 2018 at 12:23 PM

I am just going to watch this one unfold from a distance…it’s really only on here something like this can turn in to an argument!

• hibbit

Jul 22, 2018 at 12:24 PM

Jesper
    it was in reply to wanting Ibiza to fight your battles

you continue to make these ridiculous statements either defend them or shut up but don’t expect others to do it for you because so far i don’t see many that agree with you.
    if you want rafa out just say it stop beating about the bush and say what you mean

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 22, 2018 at 12:25 PM

Jesper,
    Whatever it is you meant you seem to be laying down the foundations for blaming Rafa for yet another poor transfer window. It is reported he has not had an annual holiday this year as he spent his time off scouring his contacts book, for what we have to presume were affordable loan signings, we do not know who these are and in what positions. Once he has an indication that a deal can be done he leaves it to Lee Churnley who then has to get the go ahead of Barnes or Ashley. Your argument is that Rondon shouldn’t even be on the list, well who should considering we wouldn’t pay the 22M for Plea. His only other choice, other than letting us know the score is that he walks, would you prefer that?

• Ron Knee

Jul 22, 2018 at 12:26 PM

jesper

OK. It’s clear now. But why would Ashley be happy for Rafa to leave if we were in a relegation battle? I don’t understand that bit.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 22, 2018 at 12:26 PM

Sorry if it came out a bit longer than I expected it to do.

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 22, 2018 at 12:26 PM

It’s Bullshit Sunday

Fat man out!

• Oldgit1

Jul 22, 2018 at 12:31 PM

Is there any other club in for Rondon, can’t understand Rafa going for him bearing in mind the 16 1/2 m it would take to pay for his get out clause plus his 75k weekly wage. Doesn’t make sense to me a player who has only one year left on his contract. Am I missing something.

Don’t get me wrong I fully back Rafa but I do question his judgement in getting rid of a 23 year old and buying a player who will be 30 soon.

I would offer 8m but put him on 45k a week, but by lowering his wages would we get the best out of him I think not.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 22, 2018 at 12:31 PM

Ron,
    I think Jesper used the good riddance in the wrong context but reading his posts it’s not very clear where he stands on Rafa#s management, he seems to hold him in joint responsibility for the state of our last four transfer windows.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 22, 2018 at 12:34 PM

Oldgit,
    He clearly can’t work with Mitro, if that’s what his legacy is going to amount to we’ll have a few people saying foot all when he’s gone just like those who won’t put their hands up now and admit they hastened SBR’s exit.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 22, 2018 at 12:34 PM

Don’t fret lads, Joselu will score shedloads of goals next season. He just needed time to settle in!

• Jail for Ashley