Rafa After International Defender To Challenge For Center-Back Starting Place

Rafa Benitez has been reduced to doing loan deals for players but he has managed to get Robert Kenedy in for the season – a terrific deal by Rafa and Newcastle.

Rafa needs to bring in another center-back for Chancel Mbemba once Newcastle agree to sell Chancel to Porto – with that deal being held up for weeks now by Newcastle’s intransigence.

Don’t ever accuse Newcastle of being to get deals done quickly.

The Sun is reporting today that Rafa is interested in signing Swansea center-back Federico Fernandez on loan for the season.

Swansea’s 29-year-old Argentine International Federico Fernandez

Fernandez joined Swansea back in 2014 from Napoli where he plated the previous season under Rafa Benitez in Rafa’s first season as manager in Naples.

Fernandez played 36 times for Napoli while Rafa was the manager there.

So Rafa will know all about the center-back who has three years of Premier League experience.

While at Swansea he played 117 times in the Premier League and more experienced players are what Rafa needs to bring in this summer.

With Swansea in the Championship next season Federico Fernandez wants a move

The 29-year-old has played 29 times for Argentina with three goals and he would offer very good competition for a starting center-back position at Newcastle.

That’s exactly what we need in all positions at Newcastle and he’s available for £6M.

The 6ft 3ins tall player could possibly be brought into Newcastle on loan with an option to buy him next summer.

The Sun report says the following:

“The Argentinian can leave the relegated Swans for £6M but Benitez hopes that the club will consider a year-long temporary transfer.”

So there’s no mention about an option to buy in the loan deal.

That would be a cheap way to bring in the Argentine although it would be better if we signed him up this summer.

Maybe Rafa wants him at Newcastle for next season only?

And the player is a big admirer of Mr. Benitez and had this to say back in 2014 when he joined Swansea and left Napoli:

“The development I had under Benitez allowed me to move to the Premier League. Here football is different to Serie A.”

“I appreciate Rafa a lot, and he sent me a good message when I joined Swansea. I thank him because he allowed me to grow.”

“Last season he put faith in me and I learned a lot. It prepared me for the Premier League.”

Fernández made his debut for Argentina against Ecuador in April 2011 and was in the World Cup squad in 2014 when he was preferred to Newcaste’s Fabricio Coloccini.

We would expect Fernández would be very keen to rejoin Rafa at Newcastle for the coming season – either on loan or permanently.

Swansea would prefer a straight transfer.

• AncientC

Jul 22, 2018 at 10:05 AM

That was a great picture of Diame that Ed used for an article yesterday. One for the archives.

• the ledge

Jul 22, 2018 at 10:09 AM

is jesper saying good riddance to rafa?if so lay off the green lad

• Lindisfarne

Jul 22, 2018 at 10:09 AM

At a push Ciaran Clark can play LB

• AncientC

Jul 22, 2018 at 10:12 AM

Oh lordy, riddancegate today, is it. Can I be the first to debunk this conspiracy theory.

• Lindisfarne

Jul 22, 2018 at 10:15 AM

good riddance, a welcome relief or deliverance from something:
    “”He’s gone, and good riddance!””

Jesper your twisting, the implication was not that Rafa would be thinking good riddance and in fact he would leave the club with regret at not being able to fulfill all our ambitions. Shame on you and your obsession with Joselu.

• ronaldo aarons

Jul 22, 2018 at 10:18 AM

Are there really posters criticising the possibility of signing Milan badelj on a free? I don’t see it happening but it’s a player I’ve gone on about since January and before the World Cup. Real quality player yet people happy to knock it because he is free.

• Jib

Jul 22, 2018 at 10:21 AM

• sing in the corner

Jul 22, 2018 at 10:23 AM

Lindisfarne
    Ha.. All I can say is God help Rondon if he ends up signing for the room and comes across this blog. He will be this year’s Joselu,and will end up being Jespered.
    I hear Tsunki is responding to treatment, toontaff not so much 🙂

• sing in the corner

Jul 22, 2018 at 10:25 AM

Toon …not room !

• BlacknWhiteBarmy

Jul 22, 2018 at 10:26 AM

Ronaldo – if he is so good then why are no one else in for him? Lets face it its not as if we sneak in and get the deal done in quick time to stop any one 🙁

Peeps are fed up with looking in the bargain bin instead of this years latest – a sign of the Fatash approach

• BlacknWhiteBarmy

Jul 22, 2018 at 10:27 AM

room room, black n white paint work
    room room, black n white paint work
    room room, black n white paint work

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 22, 2018 at 10:29 AM

nico…it’s always good to read the whole context!

I think it’s very plausible Rafa could leave mid-season leaving Ashley in another relegation battle and good riddance on Ashley’s part so we won’t have anymore people misreading…

Right Dave?

• Nostradamus the Geordie

Jul 22, 2018 at 10:32 AM

I love the Rafa not signing his contract paper talk if you do I will give you 100 Million war chest.
    Here’s how this will probably go, Rafa does not sign his contract before the transfer window closes, Mike will then defend his decision on sky saying he would have given Rafa what he wanted but he wouldn’t sign so hows that his fault, then there will be a story that both parties have come together and agreed and Rafa will get his money for the January window. I have the feeling Rafa has told Mike, I will sign a four-year deal but I want the contract to read that I get a minimum amount for transfers plus monies I raise if I feel I want to sell a player. Oh and I don’t want any input on players I want, sounds easy to me to add this but as we know dipshit Ashley has the golden goose but plugs its ass so he does not get the gold.

• AncientC

Jul 22, 2018 at 10:34 AM

Many thanks, Jib. And here is one for you: https://twitter.com/UKDemockery/status/1020029182145900545

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 22, 2018 at 10:34 AM

Lindisfarne…I am pretty sure I was the one writing the lot so a bit rich of you to imply I am twisting anything…

…I am hearing a flog here who just want the good riddance part to be referring to Rafa and Rafa alone!

Says more about ones state of mind I would suggest!

• Jib

Jul 22, 2018 at 10:37 AM

BlacknWhiteBarmy
    Decorating on a Sunday ?
    The German GP and British Open final !

• BlacknWhiteBarmy

Jul 22, 2018 at 10:41 AM

Jib – on pay per view!!!

Not falling for that one agin

• DaveD1000

Jul 22, 2018 at 11:01 AM

Jesper 12
    if only you had said that in the beginning

• widowmagandapoke

Jul 22, 2018 at 4:00 PM

Why can’t I get excited by any of this so called news?