Ashley’s Biggest Mistake Unfolding – Owner Succeeding In Driving Rafa Out Of The Club

The Mirror (Simon Bird) are reporting today that Rafa Benitez will stay for the final year of his contract – but that’s it – and he will leave next summer.

Rafa couldn’t leave before now because of a buy-out clause in his contract of £6M, but that has now expired.

But the Mirror report he still can’t leave because of what Ashley would do if he did try to join another club before next June.

They would need to negotiate Rafa’s release from Newcastle.

Mike Ashley – another self-inflicted crisis

The Mirror report says that he still can’t leave now because of the following reason – which is taken  directly from the report:

“The Spaniard would face a messy tribunal if he left for another club — with owner Mike Ashley likely to up the stakes and demand even more than £6M compensation if someone came poaching.”

That’s nasty.

Benitez has once again failed to get the support financially from Mike Ashley who is said to be withholding funds until Rafa signs a new deal to stay on Tyneside long-term.

This is a terrible situation Mike Ashley has created at the club after we have done so well under Rafa these last two years.

It looks like the owner has finally managed to drive Rafa out of the club – albeit next June.

Ashley has achieved this single-handedly by his own stupidity and interest only in money and he doesn’t seem interested about the team that’s put out on the field.

Any trust Rafa had with the Newcastle hierarchy has now been completely shattered by this summer’s events.

What a way to treat any manager and to treat world-class Mr. Benitez this way is damning for Mike Ashley.

Ashley is completely decimating Newcastle United and it’s all self-inflicted.

Words escape me – but Mike Ashley is hardly a fit and proper owner for Newcastle United.

This is not a good way to start the day.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 26, 2018 at 8:01 AM

Tinman,
    I’ll spare you the repost.

• hibbit

Jul 26, 2018 at 8:04 AM

#rafagoeswego

• lesh

Jul 26, 2018 at 8:04 AM

Repost

Tin man
    Yes, Sports Direct sells the cheapest clobber but you get what you pay for. Ashley’s selling brands that were once renowned for quality and are now no more inferior quality products.

Ashley’s trading on brand names – Newcastle United being one – which he has now turned into a business that’s known as relegation fodder! He’s a mercenary profit at any cost man who should be drummed out of football – football at the very least.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 26, 2018 at 8:06 AM

Nicky,
    Being optimistic for the sake of it is pointless. I argued that Ashley wouldn’t have hired a manager like Benitez who was wise to Ashleys previous only to pi$$ him off, I thought a corner had been turned. It clearly hasn’t, pretending otherwise doesn’t make you less miserable it just makes you deluded.
    And take this whichever way you want but since changing your moniker you have become completely deluded imo.

• Tinman

Jul 26, 2018 at 8:07 AM

Don’t worry Jail no need.

I applaud your dedication, I really do. I wish you and all the others who do protest all the best, if it does need to happen.

Can’t be arsed is a harsh way to put it. At the end of the day life comes first. Spend your weekends standing outside St James in the pishing wet trying to dent the pockets of a billionaire and one day you’ll look back and probably regret it.

That’s my two cents and I won’t mention it again, I don’t want to be blamed when nowt happens

• lesh

Jul 26, 2018 at 8:07 AM

C-dog

Where’s Jib? He can’t be faf away as Jane’s still posting.

You’ll have noticed one or two other names posting provocatively and my guess he’s using yet another name. He could be away on business, touring the globe as ambassador for Ashley.

• Ron Knee

Jul 26, 2018 at 8:07 AM

Repost:

(This may have already been planned) but wouldn’t it be a good idea for supporters to turn up at the ground wearing “If Rafa goes” t-shirts, badges, etc. It would show the crowd’s solidarity with Rafa without distracting the players on the field. TV cameras would soon pick it up too.

• Tinman

Jul 26, 2018 at 8:08 AM

Lesh, agree with everything you’ve said!

• Mr Funky

Jul 26, 2018 at 8:10 AM

If rafa resigns – how can Ashley do anything about that?

• lesh

Jul 26, 2018 at 8:11 AM

Good to see some media organs picking up on Ashley and his ways.

The Times, The Grauniad and now the Mirror so far and the year’s being turned up on the greedy, lying and amoral person that he is.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 26, 2018 at 8:11 AM

Tinman,
    I’d regret doing nothing a whole lot more.

• MickyZee

Jul 26, 2018 at 8:11 AM

How long and how often does Ashley have to fail to support the manager and break alleged promises before people realise that he will not change, why is Rafa not signing the new 3 year contract with £100m to spend over the course of the contract, I could be wrong but is it not due to Rafa being now being wise to Ashleys promises and the likelihood that Ashley will break them, why is Rafa wanting the players signed before he himself signs, it can only be because he doesn’t believe that Ashley will release the cash and he doesn’t want to spend another 3 years scrambling around the bargain basement trying to survive when what he wants is for us to improve.

I really can’t believe how gullible some still are.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jul 26, 2018 at 8:14 AM

I’m actually not optimistic Jail. I of course fully recognise the very real possibility of Ashley stiffing Rafa, you get bombarded with it on here, or even Rafa being too stubborn in his demands and bringing it undone, but I also think that it’s in the best interests of Ashley and the club that this impasse, if that is what it is, be resolved positively, and so while Rafa is still here, I think there remains the possibility that things can be worked out, not will, but can, and might well.

• Get up salmon

Jul 26, 2018 at 8:16 AM

In mikes eyes he brought rafa in to beat the drop then when that didnt work he bought him a squad to win the fizzy pop league.
    So mikes now thinking He did that, job done he can go now ill go get moyesy on minimum wage
    #fcb #irgwg

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 26, 2018 at 8:16 AM

ASHLEY OUT
    ASHLEY OUT
    @AshleyOutdotcom
    14m
    Keith Bishop: 07984377881

• sing in the corner

Jul 26, 2018 at 8:19 AM

Magscar
    Reading back I must say I am disappointed by some of your comments. In the past you have made a big issue of people making what you felt were generally unpleasant comments, without adding names of posters. You then wondered were they directed at you.
    Now you describe people opposed to and angry at the owner’s latest undermining of the team / manager as preening themselves…wanting pats on the back.. Wanting to feel good about themselves with others, banging the drum for effect and so on.
    This type of general put down is insulting to me. I will correct you that in my case I am doing none of those things. How could you know what motivates my posts?
    I can tell you I love NUFC, and feel outraged at the situation. I have attended many hundreds of games through thick and thin, and will in all probability, God willing, attend many more.
    I have never insulted fans who have a different position, no matter how that position frustrates me at times. Don’t knock people for trying to effect change.
    If you think it’s all hopeless, that’s your opinion and you are entitled to it, of course. But don’t declare you know the motives of every poster and belittle them.

• Get up salmon

Jul 26, 2018 at 8:23 AM

Yes shirebrook toon
    Its actually him it rang first time hes knocked it off now

• posada

Jul 26, 2018 at 8:25 AM

Rafa talks in riddles at times. Why does he not just tell the fans how it is and what he is up against.
    I appreciate there may be some contractual hold Ashley has over him, but that must be some hell of a clause.
    Pardew never said anything, other than trot out the party line. I always felt he could not say what he wanted to say.
    However, at the end of the day Rafa is still employed by Ashley and is for now willing to continue in that.
    We were told that Rafa is no mug and a football politician. He won’t renew ( the present one ) his contract unless he has assurances. Well, really. He’s been happy to put up with a few windows now when he has been let down.
    Keegan did not allow himself to be Pardewed. Why is Rafa.

• posada

Jul 26, 2018 at 8:29 AM

SITC
    That’s horlics my friend.
    You were trying your best to belittle me the other day.
    Simply because I said I was never giving up my seat.
    You were sarcastic and used bad language.

• Ron Knee

Jul 26, 2018 at 8:30 AM

posada

You answered your own question. He’s “a football politician” – “Politics is the art of the possible.”

• BenbulbenMag

Jul 26, 2018 at 8:34 AM

Posada, I don’t see how not commenting on a situation until it is fully resolved (ie this summers transfer window) can be construed as talking in riddles ?

For what it’s worth, I believe Raffa wants to give back to the fans and has resigned himself to give us another year to help us survive and will then leave unless a new owner is in place.

Why hasn’t he left already ? Probably for a number of reasons, contractual reasons, hope for a new ambitious owner, affection for Newcastle and it’s supporters and probably a number of other ones we know nothing about.

• DicBDoonToon

Jul 26, 2018 at 8:39 AM

Has anything come from that MP mentioning Ashley? Or is it likely to be weeks/months until we hear something?

• yorkymag

Jul 26, 2018 at 8:44 AM

Now Simon Bird
    There is a realisable source !!!

• posada

Jul 26, 2018 at 8:47 AM

Ron/Benbul
    That’s fair enough. However, this good cop (Rafa) bad cop (Ashley) routine has gone on for two years.
    I have a feeling it is simply putting off the inevitable.

Or it could be a front. Pretend money is tight. Would doubt that though.

At the end of the day if you have no trust in your employer and the relationship breaks down you have the option to walk. That’s a hard decision if your a normal person who’s on a normal wage. These folks are multi millionaires.

Rafa is employed by Ashley and is happy enough with the situation to the point where he is still there.

• lesh

Jul 26, 2018 at 9:01 AM

* the year’s being turned up = heat’s being turned up

• lesh

Jul 26, 2018 at 9:09 AM

Posada

Some of your comments are taken as being cynical about Rafa’s motives and almost make Ashley look like the victim, a martyr to the cause that is success for NUFC.

If things carry on the way they are, you’ll be sitting in your precious seat in a half-empty stand while watching second or third tier football.

• Doontoon

Jul 26, 2018 at 9:34 AM

Cheer up. It could be worse….Sunderland comes to mind. We have a young hungry squad not a bunch of has been mercenaries so not everything is doom and gloom.

• neverbeento wembly

Jul 26, 2018 at 3:48 PM

Fatty is a billionaire so 50-100 mill is pocket change to him. That’s all it would take to turn N.U.F.C. around & keep everyone happy. His love of money is only matched by his hatred of losing face, look how he closed singing section, bans any banners that are aimed at him. the Fat Cockney Bastard one must have made his blood boil. He was forced to rename the ground SJP. He is very vindictive against fans & will do anything to get his revenge even if it costs him a few quid He knows what fans & whole city of Newcastle think of Rafa & I think he will take great delight in driving him out, selling best players & replacing him with the likes of Joe Kinear When a team or anything else has been for sale for 10 years there is a reason it is still supposedly on market & that is not that price is too high but owner doesn’t want to sell. He is using the club as a tool to torture fans & I am sure he is enjoying every minute of it