Fourth Signing Announced – Fabian Schar A Newcastle Player – It’s A Brilliant Chance For Me

Just got back from taking my dog Milo for his morning walk and it’s great news that we have now signed Fabian Schar.

The club didn’t take too long to do that, so this is what we could even call a quick signing and a great one too.

Fabian has signed an initial three-year contract, and we understand the fee was around £3M – the relegation release clause in his contract at Deportivo – who were relegated in May.

Schar is our fourth summer signing and joins Dubravka, Kenedy (loan), and Sung-yueng (free agent) at Newcastle.

26-year-old Fabian Schar – signed today

Rafa could even be quite happy this summer if we can get three or four more good players in within the next two weeks.

This is what the 26-year-old said after signing:

“I’m really happy to be here. The club is a really big club for me. It has a big name, and it is a brilliant chance for me.”

“I’m not like a typical defender. I, of course, defend, but I’m quite good with the ball.”

“I like to play, I want to build up the game from behind, and I think that is a strength of mine.”

“I have also scored some headers – that could also be a strength and hopefully, I can use it here.”

“I hope to start training with the team soon, and I’m looking forward to everything that’s coming.”

“At the moment, I just want to get started.”

Manager Rafa Benitez added this:

“I’m really pleased to welcome Fabian to Newcastle United. He is an international, did well in the World Cup and has great experience.”

“He adds competition in this position and that is a positive for the team.”

Newcastle are not having a particularly good transfer window – but there again the four players we have signed are all good players and all bargains.

But we need three or four more players in that Rafa wants – to keep the manager happy.

This is good news today!

• JamesToon

Jul 26, 2018 at 12:03 PM

Put it this way, when last season finished, I thought we needed 4 players, an LB, CAM, LW and a CF. We’ve addressed 2 of those positions now along with Dubravka on a perm, with kenedy and Muto. All we need now is an LB and CAM (hopefully joe Bryan and Lucas Perez maybe). Then you have Mbemba, Merino leaving who were replaced by Schar and Ki. Then you have potentially leaving Gayle and Hayden, who will hopefully be replaced by Rondon and a DM like Thiago Maia or Stefan Sturaro.

Providing all of that happens, i’d Say we had a decent transfer window, there’s no doubt we will have improved the team from last seasons, however my only concern will be that we haven’t really broken the bank for any major top quality players like Fulham, Wolves and West Ham. However we have a better manager than all of them atm, it’s a shame we didn’t show much more ambition, but I’d like to think we’d have a squad that’s much more tailored to Rafa’s system, along with players leaving that clearly didn’t want to be here I.e Merino Hayden mitro and Mbemba, and hopefully we could push for top 10. Then there’s the issue of rafa’s contract

• MickyZee

Jul 26, 2018 at 12:12 PM

TNMW

I admire your optimism but I can’t really share it, we were in a relegation scrap for most of the season but a strong finish masked just how difficult last season was, for the coming season I agree with what Rafa said, it will be harder again due to how much strengthening other sides have done, you feel we have strengthened, perhaps we have a little, but if other clubs have strengthened a little bit more than us then we are in trouble, and sadly I do feel that other clubs gave or will do more, as for Arsenal, they’ve to often had a weak underbelly, but this new guy seems to be addressing that and with there firepower I see them as a top 4 side at worst.

• magscar

Jul 26, 2018 at 12:17 PM

Tinman

While back.. hyperbole – check out master of it few threads back Neville Chamberlain and Attila The Hun- Ashley is about to cause 3rd world war and there are posters looking away – wow ha ha

List are best though cut to the quick, really made Ashley sit up and take notice and he ordered Bishop to try to take down Blog ha ha

Better than getting off your backside and doing something real for those rebel souls ha ha

• magscar

Jul 26, 2018 at 12:21 PM

MickeyZee

Problem with big spending and wrong manager /players as Everton found is it doesn’t guarantee a top 6 finish which for the outlay it almost a financial necessity to break the top 6 hold in 1 or 2 seasons. Factor in other clubs trying the same and the task becomes harder.

Whatever happens vital we keep Rafa

RAFA IN

• lochinvar

Jul 26, 2018 at 12:28 PM

Schar and Muto

Now that’s a real challenge when it comes to chants and songs for these lads ..,

• MickyZee

Jul 26, 2018 at 12:31 PM

magscar

Spending big doesn’t assure you of success, I agree, I’m not expecting big spending, moderate spending just to give Rafa a fighting chance would do, but we aren’t going to get that are we, I don’t know the figures but what is the outlay on fees paid and fees received since Rafa took over, and don’t forget that in football today, in the PL that is there has never been such an abundance of money, yet we still have got to bring in more than what goes out, 20 years ago fine, but 20 years ago PL clubs didn’t have the capital they have Now, it really is ridiculous.

• TyneMouth

Jul 26, 2018 at 12:45 PM

There is an astonishing amount of pessimism on the blog, most of seems to be generated from opinions sourced from some very dubious ‘information’.

I am not in contact with this blog 24/7, not even on a daily basis, but please tell me (anyone) Where did the news that Rafa had been offered a new three year contract, including a transfer budget of £100m over three years, and, and he has turned it down!

Excuse me for being suspicious, but having endured a 2/3 month news blackout from SJP, (and Rafa) suddenly there becomes common knowledge of contract details. I use the word ‘details’ gently, there is only the mention of a sum of money spread over the contract length, give me a number, think of a number, any number, you couldn’t make it up!

So the powers that be, release contract details of the club’s economic strategy for the extra three years!

This administration does not have a very good track record in the field business practise, but this takes some beating.

It will be better sticking to known facts, instead of ‘fase news’, we’ll be introducing the blessed Amanda’s back into the debate before you know…