Report – Fabian Schar On His Way To Newcastle For Medical – A Bargain Buy

The Mail is reporting today that Fabian Schar of Deportivo de La Coruna is on his way to Newcastle to have a medical and all being well to sign along the dotted line for the club.

He would be an excellent signing for Newcastle at only £3M which is the relegation release clause in his contract, and if we can sign this player, it will be another bargain buy for the club.

Fabian has lots of experience and has 42 caps (7 goals) for Switzerland and played well for his country in the recently completed World Cup in Russia.

Fabian Schar of Deportivo – traveling to Newcastle for medical

The Mail reported yesterday that Schar was due at Newcastle yesterday but no news yet of the center-back being seen in Newcastle.

But make no mistake about it – this will be a terrific signing for Newcastle, and he will be pushing hard for a starting position in Newcastle’s defense next season.

He hasn’t come to Newcastle to sit on the bench.

In a disappointing transfer window so far, when owner Mike Ashley has again held funds back from the manager – getting Ki Sung-yueng and Fabian Scar through the door for a total of £3M is simply brilliant.

Well done Rafa Benitez.

There’s a lot of disturbing news recently about how Rafa will leave Newcastle at the end of his contract next year.

But if we can get Fabian Schar and Japanese international striker Yoshinori Muto through the door in the next few days things will start to look up.

Howay The Lads!!

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 26, 2018 at 9:08 AM

Ashley Out!

• Levi

Jul 26, 2018 at 9:09 AM

I remember reports last year saying we are looking for Asian investment.
    And got Asian sports players.
    And signed a player from South Korea and Japan in this window. As long as they can do a job on the pitch and they are rafa signings then I’m all up for a commercial signing that might help to getting Ashley out

• Levi

Jul 26, 2018 at 9:10 AM

Above post is supposed to say Asian shirt sponsors

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 26, 2018 at 9:17 AM

ASHLEY OUT!!

#IfRafaGoesWeGo

• ashleysmate

Jul 26, 2018 at 9:25 AM

Steve Harmison is having his say on talk sport.
    HWTL

• jazzyp

Jul 26, 2018 at 9:30 AM

ASHLEY Out…ooops sorry for banging the same drum

• MickyZee

Jul 26, 2018 at 9:31 AM

I don’t know about Muto as i don’t know the lad but Schar is a gamble, good footballer but not the best at defending, however Rafa’s strength for me is his defensive organisation which could hide Schars flaws and another Rafa strength is his ability to improve players especially defensively, just look at the improvement in Yedlin, if he can do the same with Schar then it could turn out to be a good signing.

• posada

Jul 26, 2018 at 9:32 AM

lesh
    Jul 26, 2018 at 9:09 AM
    Posada

Some of your comments are taken as being cynical about Rafa’s motives and almost make Ashley look like the victim, a martyr to the cause that is success for NUFC.

If things carry on the way they are, you’ll be sitting in your precious seat in a half-empty stand while watching second or third tier football.

********
    Lesh. It won’t be half empty. We will never be like those from SR5.
    But, would it be a bad thing. That’s what it might take to get rid of Ashley.
    Look at Villa, down and out and the new money has come in at fire sale prices.
    Look at Man City. Bought for 165M when the previous owner was knackered financially.
    You don’t know and I don’t know what is going on.

Worse case. Rafa does a great job keeping us in the Prem, on a shoe string, for 3 years while Ashley takes money out, just like Ellis Short.
    At the end of the day he is working for him and getting 6M a year.
    Just perhaps we would have been better off with an implosion 2 years ago. We could have had new owners by now.
    How long does this stand off go on.

• Our Toon

Jul 26, 2018 at 9:39 AM

I think muto will be a good signing, good movement, can also play as no10

• MickyZee

Jul 26, 2018 at 9:41 AM

Posada

Without financial backing do you really think that Rafa will be here for 3 years, if so then why has he not signed the contract, Rafa won’t sign a new contract until backing is there first, Ashley will not give that backing so Rafa won’t sign, how many times does Rafa have to say the club has got to do the right things before you accept it, he isn’t going to sign mate and you said it yourself, a shoestring budget so even you accept that Ashley will not give the backing.

• jazzyp

Jul 26, 2018 at 9:48 AM

Japanese media spoke to Yoshinori Muto about a potential move to #nufc at Haneda Airport. “I can’t say yet but I should be able to deliver good news soon. “I believe I’ll grow as a player if I put myself in a competitive environment.”

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 26, 2018 at 10:06 AM

Jail…it’s inspiring woods for any new player to come good…

…he’s better than nothing!
    …he’s my fourth or fifth choice
    …I couldn’t get the player I wanted so…

Always better to support your signing and stand by it…at the end of the day all we are asking is that any player bough has been scouted and found a match (should go without saying and is better than the player we flog)

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 26, 2018 at 10:08 AM

Jazzyp…lets hope he’s here soon so he can get some test matches under his wings…

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 26, 2018 at 10:09 AM

Could see us play 4-3-3 with this kind of signing (at times at least)

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jul 26, 2018 at 10:15 AM

It looks like with these signings we are looking to be a lot more comfortable on the ball and to be able to keep it a bit better and to also launch counters quicker rather than always using Shelvey Ki and Schar are good at short and long range passing and with Muto , Kennedy and Perez all making runs it could be interesting !

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 26, 2018 at 10:16 AM

Still think we need a prolific goal poacher…Muto hasn’t ever been that kind of forward from what I can gather!

• posada

Jul 26, 2018 at 10:21 AM

MickyZee
    If Rafa stays for one more year and keeps us up, then that is at least 3 years of Premiership football and Premiership money for the owner.
    That’s what I meant.
    Is that the job MA wants him to do.
    Is that the job he is willing to do ?

• Average_Contents

Jul 26, 2018 at 10:21 AM

So we’ve got fans moaning about Rafa not being clear regarding his issues but then others moaning because he’s too frank.

He can’t fcuking win.

On top of all that he’s got one of the worst owners to ever grace the game to put up with.

Fat slug and his minions out!

Hwtl
    Hwtf

• nufc 11

Jul 26, 2018 at 10:21 AM

Cant understand this one at all. Dummet can double up as a CB why not put the scar money toward buying Joe Bryan at 6million Dummet isn’t a LB.

• bill

Jul 26, 2018 at 10:26 AM

I seem to remember sitting in the stand at SJP with less than 20,000 others and we were nearly relegated to the old 3rd division. This was just prior to KK era, so don’t think that it couldn’t happen again. ASHLEY OUT.

• nut meg

Jul 26, 2018 at 10:27 AM

Sky Sports reporting that Scar has completed his medical and also we have agreed a few of 9.5m for Muto.

• hibbit

Jul 26, 2018 at 10:28 AM

nufc 11
    why can’t we have them both why does it have to be one or the other in this market the fees are peanuts and we need the cover

Re dummett he is a LB and a very good one but most definitely not a WB

• nut meg

Jul 26, 2018 at 10:29 AM

Schar even

• magscar

Jul 26, 2018 at 10:31 AM

Sitc

Few threads back. I take your point but when I “railed” against posters generalising it was as I recall specifically because said poster WAS targeting my posts but for whatever reason hid behind generalisation. When I responded the reply was that it wasn’t me and that said person never read my posts – whatever 😉

I was very much generalising on the Ashley Out and perhaps there were certain posters in mind when saying it ( having been the more recent ones to have done so) but there are too many to name and I saw no point in attacking individuals as many do make good posts as well although some seem unable to rise above only that.

You were not actually in my mind although I do recall having some affinity with your posts in the past but you have become more unsettled of late I believe.

I find the repetition boring , ineffective and pointless – just my opinion but I have read Blog from the start and posted for 5 years or so periodically but often finding it a waste of my time as I am either ignored or attacked with few posters agreeing or seeking to debate reasonably prefering to address you as Ashley apologiser etc.

I am too old to be one of the lads and hold what I feel are valid thought through vews on my club which i, just like other posters want to share with other NUFC fans.

As an optimist (beyond ny prime but not a panda – not a personal attack just a bit of play ) I would rather concentrate my thinking and efforts on the positive so..

RAFA IN

Same result? perhaps and hopefully but can be with him (Ashley) still here as well.

Someone mentioned Talksport and Steve Harmison and I heard part of it driving into town before 9:00 – interestingly part of what he was saying was Rafa sign a contract !! He was getting some stick from twets etc as you might imagine but spoke well I thought but then again I would wouldn’t I 🙂

• JamesToon

Jul 26, 2018 at 10:37 AM

Put it this way, when last season finished, I thought we needed 4 players, an LB, CAM, LW and a CF. We’ve addressed 2 of those positions now along with Dubravka on a perm, with kenedy and Muto. All we need now is an LB and CAM (hopefully joe Bryan and Lucas Perez maybe). Then you have Mbemba, Merino leaving who were replaced by Schar and Ki. Then you have potentially leaving Gayle and Hayden, who will hopefully be replaced by Rondon and a DM like Thiago Maia or Stefan Sturaro.

Providing all of that happens, i’d Say we had a decent transfer window, there’s no doubt we will have improved the team from last seasons, however my only concern will be that we haven’t really broken the bank for any major top quality players like Fulham, Wolves and West Ham. However we have a better manager than all of them atm, it’s a shame we didn’t show much more ambition, but I’d like to think we’d have a squad that’s much more tailored to Rafa’s system, along with players leaving that clearly didn’t want to be here I.e Merino Hayden mitro and Mbemba, and hopefully we could push for top 10. Then there’s the issue of rafa’s contract

• magscar

Jul 26, 2018 at 10:43 AM

For as long as Rafa is here there is hope and I believe that he will feel that way as well.

My opinion but no less valid than anyone else’s on here, in the press or as a pundit because no one actually knows bar Rafa and he ain’t for telling yet.

Yep I know Ashley but he has never had a Rafa with a total fan base behind him to cope with so ……..

RAFA IN

• lochinvar

Jul 26, 2018 at 10:50 AM

Fabian Schar has been photographed at Newcastle’s training ground but not yet by Jib who must be having a late breakfast.
    Looks like his medical is complete so just waiting on the official photo in the strip at SJP.

Let’s hope that Muto is flying direct into Newcastle with Emirates as we don’t want any Playstation shenanigans in London.

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 26, 2018 at 10:50 AM

Sky Sports News
    Sky Sports News
    @SkySportsNews
    1m
    SKY SOURCES: Fabian Schar has completed his medical at Newcastle and is expected to finalise his move to St James’ Park today. #SSN

Ashley Out!

#IRGWG

• magscar

Jul 26, 2018 at 10:50 AM

I want big signings.

I want stars in every position and more on the bench and out on loan.

I want the tiltle

I want the Champions League

I want Ashley gone

Most of all I want Rafa here and that is still in the realms of the possible. The rest I keep in my wishful thinking drawer but this I polish and concentrate my thoughts on even if progress is slow and incremental where there is hope there is life.

RAFA IN

• Geordie-john

Jul 26, 2018 at 11:04 AM

WELCOME TO SPORTS DIRECT BARGAIN BASEMENT WHERE YOU WILLFIND ALMOST EVERYTHING AT A KNOCK DOWN PRICE EVEN THOUGH IT COMES OUT OF THE SWEAT SHOP FACTORY WITH THE SALE TAGS ON , WHEN REALLY THEY ARE MADE FOR COPPERS AND SOLD AS SO CALLED SALE ITEMS TO US .
    OH HANG ON A MINUTE THIS IS THE NUFC FOOTBALL WEBSITE.
    I THOUGHT FOR A MINUTE THAT THERE WAS GONNA BE MORE KNOCK OFF STUFF AVAILABLE
    ( SORRY I THINK I MEANT KNOCK DOWN )
    ASHLEY, YOU ARE A DISGRACE ! TREATING THIS FANTASTIC FOOTBALL CLUB AS YOU DO YOUR SWEATSHOP AND OUTLET STORES.
    THIS FOOTBALL CLUB THAT YOU ARE FU##ING ABOUT WITH HAS MORE HISTORY THAN YOU COULD IMAGINE

• Mister Tuff

Jul 26, 2018 at 11:06 AM

Checking out this Schar bloke – seems that his best feature is coming out of the defence with the ball and reportedly he’s not exceptional in the air.
    Been said on here previously that Mbembas “fault” was coming out of the defence with the ball dribbling – so I’m not sure how this will resolve itself.

Time date now I quite like the look of this Muto bloke – in his video clips. Seems a decent player and not frightened to try and beat players.

The mass use of social media (a la Trump) seems to be a new tool to get messages out/publicise a movement – without having that message altered by the news companies. This probably is a new tool to those campaigning to highlight issues.

• welshgeordie9

Jul 26, 2018 at 11:07 AM

4th signing completed.

Welcome schar.

• Mister Tuff

Jul 26, 2018 at 11:11 AM

Yes – indeed club announce he’s signed on a 3 year contract.

• Ron Knee

Jul 26, 2018 at 11:16 AM

It’s Schär, pronounced “share”, I believe.

• JDdubai

Jul 26, 2018 at 11:24 AM

Go on Rafa I dare ya, HBA in next to be our no10!

• Mister Tuff

Jul 26, 2018 at 11:27 AM

Reasonable anti Ashley article in the New Stateman – shows “others” are getting the message from Newcastle Fans.

Article ends with the sentence “It is a question of what fans are prepared to do about it. ”

Which a really what it all boils down to. Some fans will do as much as they can, some will do nothing and sneer from the sidelines showcasing their purile pomposity and appeasement -making Neville Chamberlain look like Attila the Hun.

• Toonfan8

Jul 26, 2018 at 11:32 AM

Welcome Fabian!!! I hope, that tomorrow we will announce Muto, next week Bryan and that will sort our defensive issues with cover. Muto will be competition for Ayoze Perez I think, because he is quite similar player (work ethic, movement). We will need new striker then Batshuayi/Welbeck/Rondon, that type we will need strong, athletic striker. We lost nobody who was important to Rafa: and brought 2 players which changed our season last year and 2 good experienced internationals and seems to bring CF/SC Muto as well. It will be good window if we bring LB, SC….but I think we have to sell some of our strikers before we buy one, most likely Mitro.

• MickyZee

Jul 26, 2018 at 11:32 AM

nufc 11

Dummett is a left back and he always has been, he can fill in as a centre back but he is a left back, well Rafa certainly thinks which is why he always plays him there !!!!!!!

• Toonfan8

Jul 26, 2018 at 11:36 AM

GK: Dubravka, Darlow, Elliot
    RB: Yedlin, Manquillo
    LB: Dummett, Bryan (hope)
    CB: Lascelles, Lejeune, Schar, Clarke
    CM: Shelvey, Diame, Ki, Hayden (if he will leave, another CM)
    LW: Kenedy, Atsu
    RW: Ritchie, Murphy
    CF: Perez,Muto
    SC:????, Gayle, Joselu
    maybee one more good winger like Townsend, but if Ritchie will stay, I have no problem with it…