Jonjo Shelvey Upbeat About Newcastle’s New Signings

Jonjo Shelvey is going to be a big player for us next season and he stays fit and control his demons on the field he could help Newcastle finish even higher than 10th place – which has to be the minimum goal in the coming season.

With the (almost) signing of Yoshinori Muto Rafa has managed to bring in five good players and we estimate our net spend after the Japanese International officially sings to be -£2.5M – a profit of £2.5M.

So the manager has done really well to bring in Dubravka (£4M), Kenedy (loan), Sung-yueng (free agent), Fabian Schar (£3M) and Muto (£9.5M).

Jonjo Shelvey in action at Bournemouth last season

Rafa has spent a gross of £16.5M but has brought in a little more than that with the sale of Merino (£10M), Mbemba (£5M) and Sels (£4M).

Jonjo seems upbeat with the first three signings:

“I feel we’ve added some quality with Ki coming in.”  “Martin’s signed and we’ve got Kenedy back.”

“They’re going to be three important players next year, but I feel the lads that are here probably deserve another crack at the Premier League because of how well we did last season, especially towards the back end of it.”

“You could see the impact Martin had from his first game and Kenedy speaks for himself. “

“He’s so strong and powerful on the left, but he’s got that skill and that know-how – he knows how to win games.”

“Ki’s very neat and tidy on the ball,” “He’s a great lad. He’s quite quiet and shy, but ever since he’s come in, he’s fitted nicely into the group.”

“That’s what you want from a new player, for him to get up and running quickly. He knows how to play in the Premier League.”

In addition to the three players Jonjo talks about we have Fabian Schar – who is a classy center-back and could be a starter next season and Muto – who will sign officially for us next week.

Those are five decent players – and we need three more in before August 9th at 5:00pm when the transfer window slams shut.

• dig-n-dig22

Jul 28, 2018 at 12:57 PM

Harry Mguire wants to join Man U, Leicester preparing a bid for Lascelles according to the Chronic.

• Mag52

Jul 28, 2018 at 1:03 PM

Looks like Rafa might be looking to score goals from a range of players again this season, rather that a hatful from a number 9.

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 28, 2018 at 1:05 PM

If Lascelles was sold there would be carnage.

Wouldn’t put it past the fat man though. Just to pisss the fans off!

• Polarboy

Jul 28, 2018 at 1:08 PM

No need to worry lads. By my calculations we’ll have 70 odd million to spend when we sell Mitro. His fee, that 50 million we’re supposed to have, and the 2.5 from being in the black. I’m sure Ashley and Benitez are having a right laugh together pretending that they don’t see eye to eye. We’ll spunk that 70 odd million in the last few days for sure. ; – ) : – (

• Munster Mag

Jul 28, 2018 at 1:08 PM

This could be a big test of the ‘”does Rafa fully control sales’ theory

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 28, 2018 at 1:09 PM

Polarboy

Il have what your having 😆

• hibbit

Jul 28, 2018 at 1:15 PM

Polarboy
    you better get munster a double ……………………

• scout

Jul 28, 2018 at 1:17 PM

80 million for Harry Maguire? People must be seeing something I don’t. 60 goals conceded at Leicester and he’s only played 37 games for them.
    Played no one at the World Cup 80 million?

Really ?

• scout

Jul 28, 2018 at 1:20 PM

He’s spent nowt but it’s enough to stay up with Rafa there. All these teams much changed may struggle, changing too much can backfire.
    A striker is a must loan whatever but a big name that will get goals

• geordiemark

Jul 28, 2018 at 1:24 PM

I wouldn’t pay 80m for Maguire but if they think they can have Lascelles for 35m they best think again, from what I saw of maguire in the world cup yeah hes good at set plays but like scout has said they leaked in 60 goals, id say Lascelles to me is valued at least 70 million the way transfers are going these days

• Jib

Jul 28, 2018 at 1:26 PM

scout
    Harry Maguire?
    Really ?
    People must be seeing something I don’t.

bear in mind he’ll be replacing Phil Jones

• Tosun A. Wobbler

Jul 28, 2018 at 1:28 PM

TNMW…just going back over the last 24 hours and came across your post at 5.40 this morning @127.
    That’s quite a venomous tome and whilst I can’t speak for any of the other posters you alluded to, I’ll simply respond on my own behalf.
    Not afraid to say it was me that posted that titbit that MA hadn’t repaid his parent for the £10,000 they loaned him. If it was wrong, I put it down to naive absorption of information in a biographical piece on MA which I read 8-10 years ago.If it’s wrong, I hereby withdraw it, but let me make it quite clear, I did not make it up myself for the purposes of my own self aggrandisement.
    I vowed when I joined the blog, that I wouldn’t be dragged into a feud with another poster, and I certainly don’t intend to partake in a back and forth with you Mike, but honestly, “hysterical,dumb, made up garbage” and by implication, liar…not nice.

• Pottsclock

Jul 28, 2018 at 1:30 PM

Leicester have a big problem shared by many teams that have some success but are not part of the big 5. Their top players (e.g. Mahrez, Maguire) want to leave and compete for medals every season but they find it difficult to replace them because they’re not significantly more attractive than the average EPL side. I would suggest there would be no benefit to Lascelles in going to Leicester over us, apart from money, and even that could be addressed as we pay reasonable wages to players.
    This is exactly what another poster (apologies as I cannot remember whom) pointed out the other day. The top five run the EPL like a cartel that protects them vs the other EPL teams. Once a team starts to compete with them, they just offer silly money for their best players and essentially buy them out of any prospect of regular success. Often those players never get regular football again. When Chelsea did it with Ba from us it was a tragedy as it essentially ended his career in top flight football and knocked us back over several seasons even though it made him rich.
    Lascelles won’t go to Leicester. But he might go to a Man U or Chelsea if they come asking. That would be a different price though

• magpie6699

Jul 28, 2018 at 1:30 PM

I’m no fan of Ashley but surely it’s nothing to do with him whether a player under contract like Lascelles chooses to stay or leave. I think as long as Rafa is here, Lascelles will choose to stay. Why would he go to Leicester?

• Tosun A. Wobbler

Jul 28, 2018 at 1:34 PM

Pottsclock….that’s a good post !

• lesh

Jul 28, 2018 at 1:35 PM

Repost

hibbit

Yes, the likes of SD and their business models based on zero hours contract along with paying the bare minimum wage contribute relatively little to food poverty – but they along with the gig economy do to a small degree. But such practices should’ve been consigned to history along with re-emergence of un-caring employers.

It’s a disgrace that in 2018, the likes of The Trussel Trust should need to be and that people who actually care about people, people like you, should be needed to collect and distribute life’s essentials to the needy.

However, such is life.

• Mr Funky

Jul 28, 2018 at 1:38 PM

I saw on twitter someone suggesting a bid or loan for Shinji Kagawa – worth a try?

• lesh

Jul 28, 2018 at 1:38 PM

Leicester preparing a bid for Lascelles?

It just shows how much Ashley’s ruined our club when Leicester City are perceived as a predator, a club preying on our top players.

• Bedford Mag

Jul 28, 2018 at 1:41 PM

I do worry that the purchase of Schaer was in preparation for the sale of Jamaal.

I wouldn’t put it past MA to grab a £35m bid with both hands, for a player we bought a few years ago for pennies.

Agree with Pottsclock that there’s no benefit of Lascelles leaving for LCFC. Sideways step just for a bit more cash is not in his nature. He wants to play football and succeed and he can do that at NUFC with Rafa at the helm.

• magicmac54

Jul 28, 2018 at 1:41 PM

If Leicester sell Maguire, and come in with a good offer for Lascelles he will be sold for sure, my God we all know money is Cashleys God, he doesent give a toss about Newcastle or Rafa or the fans, anyone who thinks otherwise is totally deluded and living in cuckoo land.

• Jib

Jul 28, 2018 at 1:45 PM

I have an awful feeling that Lesh doesn’t know
    that Leicester City won the PL 2015/16

• cyprus

Jul 28, 2018 at 1:47 PM

I see his point. That doesn’t mean I think we don’t need to strengthen big time. Last year we were the poorer side in many a game. But he is right too. And these current players are hopefully growing in stature themselves.

• lesh

Jul 28, 2018 at 1:49 PM

Nicky

It appears that some of your posts about the large amount spent when McLaren landed, drew derision from other posters. But you later added the point about the way Rafa’s been treated in the last four windows – that post positively rounded off the earlier ones

Might I suggest that rather than post comments piecemeal, comments that by themselves prove to be controversial and provocative, you think and post your points through to their conclusion

• Jib

Jul 28, 2018 at 1:49 PM

Lesh honey
    Leicester city also have 15 internationals
    five of whom are British

• Chancel My MBembaship

Jul 28, 2018 at 1:53 PM

Someone had a go at Ed for posting fans’ opinions about Newcastle on Twitter, but is there really any difference between people posting their opinions there and people posting them here?

• Jib

Jul 28, 2018 at 1:55 PM

whoops Lesh has gone quiet
    Do you think he actually didn’t know
    the Foxes won the PL a couple or three
    seasons ago ?

Ha ha ha

Stupid owld twat
    😀

• Jib

Jul 28, 2018 at 1:58 PM

Chancel My MBembaship

Clearly there is a difference

Ed has no editorial control
    over tweets – some of the lingo
    on Twatter is choice

• ravz09

Jul 28, 2018 at 2:00 PM

Gayle swap for Rondon agreed!!

• The next Mike Williamson

Jul 28, 2018 at 2:01 PM

Tosun,
    I have seen a few people post or allude to that Tosun. As far as I’m aware there isn’t any information to say he did or didn’t so I assumed it was more speculation taken as truth and then passed around. If there is info, I couldn’t find it, and I apologise. No offence meant. But I stand by my statement about incredible amounts of garbage from Pardew getting a job because of gambling debts, to NUFC doctoring the accounts (while in the middle of a tax investigation), to Ashley wants us to do bad on purpose to p*** fans off. And it’s not just NUFC matters where people believe rubbish, I spent a few hours yesterday talking to a Trump fanatic. The world has gone mad!!! The loonies are taking over.

• Pitmatic

Jul 28, 2018 at 2:08 PM

If Leicester really do try to sign Lascelles, you can bet they’d fancy their chances of making a serious profit on him two years down the line, as with Maguire. That being the case, why would we sell him?

It’s obvious that Newcastle are never going to spend 30/40m+ on a player under Ashley’s control. The question is whether can Ashley tolerate us having a player of such value in the squad at all without cashing in, even if we paid peanuts for him?

By the way, Maguire is clearly a very decent player, and he had a fantastic World Cup. A pity we didn’t sign him from Sheff Utd – we were linked umpteen times. Why is that whatever a player’s talents or achievements, there’s always a queue of gobsh*tes writing him off as worse than useless? We had this with Townsend and Shelvey in the run-up to their signings, and I noticed Welbeck was getting the same treatment earlier this week (the latter would probably be our decorated centre forward since Alan Shearer, but not good enough for some apparently!).

Anyway, I don’t see Lascelles leaving this window, and Mawson would surely be a more obvious candidate if Leicester cash in on Maguire. But if Ashley did want to make mischief, nothing else he could do would have quite the same sting…

• Tosun A. Wobbler

Jul 28, 2018 at 2:13 PM

TNMW…..entente cordiale re established! Excellent.

• Bedford Mag

Jul 28, 2018 at 2:15 PM

ravz09

Any source for that info about Gayle-Rondón switch?

• Lovem or Hatem

Jul 28, 2018 at 2:16 PM

Soccer Sauce
    ? @soccer_sauce
    27m27 minutes ago

Breaking: Dwight Gayle has accepted an offer from #WBA in a deal which will see Salomon Rondón move to Newcastle in the other direction #NUFC
    3 replies 10 retweets 12 likes

• Pottsclock

Jul 28, 2018 at 2:20 PM

I won’t believe the story on Rondon until I see Ed start a new thread on it !!!

• Bedford Mag

Jul 28, 2018 at 2:20 PM

Agreed Pottsclock 🙂

• Bedford Mag

Jul 28, 2018 at 2:21 PM

Refresh… refresh… refresh… refresh!!

• Pottsclock

Jul 28, 2018 at 2:23 PM

Drum roll..

• Jib

Jul 28, 2018 at 2:23 PM

The soccer sauce post before this latest one was:-

Soccer Sauce@soccer_sauce
    We understand that Newcastle are close to agreeing deal in region of £19m for Andros Townsend #NUFC #CPFC
    2:28 am – 2 Jul 2018

Oh dear

• c-dog

Jul 28, 2018 at 2:26 PM

Leicester are more ambitious.

• lesh

Jul 28, 2018 at 2:27 PM

Jib

‘Ed has no editorial control over tweets – some of the lingo
    on Twatter is choice’

Yes Jib, of course you’re right. Perfection personified!