Rafa Benitez Comments On Team’s Display At Porto

Porto were well ahead of Newcastle in their fitness levels on Saturday night and it showed.

The reigning Portuguese Champions kick their season off on Saturday at home to Aves.

Rafa Benitez seemed pleased enough with Newcastle’s display on Saturday night although Porto were the better team from the first whistle.

Once again Newcastle showed they can be hard to break down and the defense came out of the game looking good, with new goalkeeper Martin Dubravka outstanding.

Newcastle will play SC Braga on Wednesday night and the squad are now training close to the Municipal Stadium of Braga in northern Portugal preparing for the game.

Rafa Benitez –  we did a good job at Porto

After the hard fought draw on Saturday night this is what the Newcastle manager had to say about the game and about Porto:

“FC Porto are an excellent team with many good players.”

“They always maintain a good level and I’m sure they will be well in Europe and in the title race in Portugal next season.”

“It was an interesting game against a good team.”

“We did a good job against a rival that has a great difference in terms of fitness.

“We are happy with what we did.”

Newcastle take on SC Braga on Wednesday night (7:30pm kick-off) and then we complete our preseason schedule with a home game against Bundesliga side FC Augsburg on Saturday afternoon at 3:00pm.

Here’s how we have done so far.

DateTeamLocation
Estadio do Dragao, Porto
Wed 1 Aug KO 7:30pmSC BragaEstadio Municipal, Braga
Sat 4 Aug KO 3:00 pmFC AugsburgSt. James’ Park, Newcastle

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:47 AM

Dubai Mickey,
    Instead of putting down every idea someone has why not come up with one yourself.

• ronaldo aarons

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:48 AM

Arsenal have reportedly told lazio they want €8m for Lucas Perez.

• jazzyp

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:49 AM

This Gayle / Rondon switch is only a good deal if we are using the Mitrovic money to bring in a top striker. We’d be a Rondon injury away from absolute crisis

• hibbit

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:52 AM

ronaldo aarons
    what i’ve seen of him always looked a good play
    but is he not another who seems to fire blanks ???

• ronaldo aarons

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:55 AM

Hibbit
    I don’t think so. His problem is he I saw often used on the wing. He was at Arsenal. Every time I have seen him up front he scores.

• DubaiMicky

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:57 AM

Jail, I’ve already stated what I would do, and all I’m saying is that it’s a waste of people’s time as it won’t affect SD one iota.

You’re not a nice person are you, why don’t you start being more friendly to others, perhaps it might make you less angry?

Just a thought.

• ronaldo aarons

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:02 AM

Pack alcacer being let go by Barca.

• ronaldo aarons

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:02 AM

Paco

• magscar

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:06 AM

Jail

Back from Cash Converters and the Strads are way out of my price range but….

there was a cello which from a distance could double as a double bass so i had this thought what if I got it – we could start a drum and bass unit – not sure if i have the stamina to keep up with your constant banging that drum though so I’ll save my money I think.

Oh haven’t really been to CC made a coffee – don’t always take me too literally 😉

• Tosun A. Wobbler

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:12 AM

Magscar..just for a minute I thought you were doing a Smashie and Nicey and been looking for a Fender Stradocaster. 🙂

• Ron Knee

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:20 AM

• SredniVashtar

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:23 AM

Ronaldo

If that’s true then I reckon Rafa may well be all over it – he seemed very interested in Perez last summer. 8 million euros did you say? That’s probably about 7.8 million quid at the minute – a banging price! Only a couple of mil more than the hoss cost. Rondon in for 3 mil plus Gayle and Perez in for 8 million euros – throw in a left back and I that would be our best window in years

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:25 AM

Lucas Perez would be a great signing Paco Alcacer on loan could be an option although I suspect there would be loads of clubs interested in that deal…….

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:27 AM

DubaiMicky,
    If you think that me pointing out your rubbishing of every idea someone comes up with makes me not very nice then so hi it.

• dig-n-dig22

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:29 AM

Magscar #9

I picked a Stradivarius and a Chippendale up at a car boot sale on Sunday, unfortunately, Stradivarius make lousy furniture and Chippendale make lousy Violins

• SredniVashtar

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:29 AM

Come on jail, Dubai, stop bickering
    We’re getting Salomon Rondon for goodness sake! What could be more exciting???? What a time to be a Newcastle United fan!

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:34 AM

Mitro
    I liked Mitro – but what would the use of keeping him if RAFA was not going to play him. so I think it is a good bit of business £22million for a bench warmer.
    Rondon every one passing comment on a player who scored 8-10 goals for WBA.
    not sure if anyone would of scored more in a ultra defensive hoofball team under Pulis then Pardew

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:34 AM

I actually think Rondon will turn out to be a fans favourite by the end of the season Motu as well !!

Their pace , movement and work rate will cause teams plenty of problems its just whether they both can get their finishing touch improved that will be the issue !

Maybe we are looking at moving to a 352 style with Rondon and Motu as the front 2? Would be worth trying

• Jib

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:36 AM

I must say I haven’t particularly noticed
    Micky rubbishing everyone’s ideas
    Also
    I haven’t noticed Munster being OTT
    with his criticism of Rafa
    I think our sand – dancing friend may
    be getting paranoid delusions on the rigs

Jail ” Did you see the way that Herring gull
    looked at me !”

• Rebecca

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:37 AM

jail for Ashley – Sunday July 29th, 2018.
    Repeat Posting.
    Henceforth :
    Please note well and do not post comments that are threatening, libellous or gratuitously abusive.
    Thanking you in anticipation.

• SPRINGY

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:39 AM

Im wondering if rondon to us is permanent and gayle is loan with a view to permanent deal,i cant see wba letting rondon go on loan in last year of his contract…. wouldn’t mind lucas perez as well but his name keeps bouncing around and nothing comes of it so i wont hold my breath.

• Rebecca

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:39 AM

A special thank you to all those backing the let’s clean up jail campaign.

• magscar

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:46 AM

Jail

No Jesper around this morning so you go looking for others scraps – (shakes head)

Oh but don’t let Jib put you off keeping your eyes open – those herring gulls are devious and vicious

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:47 AM

You wouldn’t would you jib, You also wouldn’t have noticed that carl has made a comeback in his various guises either.

• magscar

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:49 AM

Springy

One things for sure may be the deals are real as there seems to be too much going on but the actyall full terms won’t yet (if ever) be put out there to the press

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:51 AM

magscar,
    Let’s talk about how pants Rondon is and how we shouldn’t be letting Mitro go.

• lochinvar

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:51 AM

Do you think NUFC could go upmarket to the Champions League then ? Only seems fair Mike.

Sports Direct strategically decided to go upmarket and target more affluent shoppers and has reported soaring underlying annual profits
    while UK sales fell. Sports Direct was also left counting the cost of its gamble on Debenhams, having taken an £85.4m impairment hit on its 29.7% stake in the department store group, whose shares have fallen by over 60%. It means that while underlying pre-tax profits for the year to the end of April surged by 34.5% to £152.9m, way ahead of analysts’ estimates, statutory pre-tax profits slumped by nearly three quarters to £77.5m.

Now the interesting bit …£140m seems an familiar figure or thereabouts in NUFC conversations.

Sports Direct invested £140m in property assets over the year as it aims to ‘elevate’ its sports retail proposition.

The group’s annual revenues increased 3.5% to £3.36bn, due to it’s increased presence overseas.
    UK sales, where high street trading is in crisis, dropped 2% to £2.18bn.

So there’s a need to increase sales overseas ….perhaps in markets such as Japan and South Korea then ? Wonder what could be arranged to help that idea ?

Transparency ?
    It’s as clear as mud when it’s NUFC.

• dig-n-dig22

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:54 AM

Rebecca #22

If the blog was all happy clapy and everybody agreed with each other then the blog would die within a few days, we all have our opinions, we all dish it out and we all get it back, that’s fine with me,

• Jib

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:56 AM

I’m fairly sure Rebecca is a good
    friend of Jane

😛

• magscar

Jul 30, 2018 at 11:01 AM

I’ve been thinking about Rondon ( and Slimani and Joselou) amd their low scoring rates compared to the big hitters and maybe Rafa is looking at the alternative ( as budget demands) of having scoring spread throughout forwards and sprinlking from defenders through set pieces.

We ( and other clubs) have often had a main striker ( from McDonald through WIthe , Cole to Shearer) as top scorers without winning anything anyway.

I’d love to have one of those but anyway Rafa is possibly looking at the type of player who not only can hold up play, press high but who can make space and bring others into game when playing alongside him like Perez Muto Ritchie Kenedy Murphy Atso etc and create more scoring chances?

We clearly need more goals perhaps this is Rafa’s alternative approach to problem and he sees Rondon as a key player after the failures of Joselou and Slimani in making it happen?

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 30, 2018 at 11:01 AM

Jib,
    She’s very closely related to carl and carlton and Ian Toon and Jack Root and……..

• magscar

Jul 30, 2018 at 11:06 AM

Jail@26

my last post crossed with yours so you can see my thoughts on Rondon if you care to go back.

As for Mitro – I like him, he doesn’t fit into Rafa’s plans, Rafa is the Gaffa and I accept he is gone . None of that is contradictory – for me anyway

Jesper – come back he’s ganging up on the rest of us 😉

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jul 30, 2018 at 11:08 AM

Jail
    ‘Carl and Carlton’
    I – Little Carl Carlton of Northern Soul – ‘Competition Ain’t Nothing Yet’ fame

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 30, 2018 at 11:11 AM

magscar,
    I too like Mitro, I don’t like the fact that some are turning on the manager because of him though. We got relegated with a McLaren type manager with Mitro in the side, We will be relegated again with that kind of manager with Mitro in the side. The manager staying is imperative to the club’s short term survival.

• SPRINGY

Jul 30, 2018 at 11:11 AM

Magscar
    Yeah ya ryt… they keep everything so close to there chests regarding money so we’ll never hear the truth unless its a bargain to brag about….if we get rondon and gayle and mitro have gone,do u think there’ll be another striker coming in or maybe an attacking midfielder,or is that it forward players??

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 30, 2018 at 11:12 AM

Charlie,
    I think that’s a bit too old for the blogs carl.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 30, 2018 at 11:13 AM

DubaiMicky,
    What was it that you stated what you’d do?

• magscar

Jul 30, 2018 at 11:16 AM

Jail

Seriously the Blog is mostly an eclectic combination of the long and the short, the funny and the serious, the personal and the world weary,the angry and the upbeat and all steps in between.

I have my style (not cultivated just it is what it is) and you have yours as do others – there’s room for us all and this Blog is the richer for it.

Wouldn’t like to see you go even if I do wish you would lighten up sometimes and not always be having a go at others. As Dig-Did says Blog would die without the differences

• G

Jul 30, 2018 at 11:17 AM

Rolando at 7/8 I’m sure I read that Paco Alcacer is going to Leicester on loan over the weekend? I may have imagined that though.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jul 30, 2018 at 11:18 AM

How many strikers do Leicester need? They seem to hoard quite a lot of good ones but they don’t seem to do well apart from Vardy !