Indications That Newcastle Still Interested In Signing Belgian International

HLN are reporting that Club Brugge winger Anthony Limbombe has been told to train alone and away from the first team squad with Newcastle reported interested in signing the once-capped Belgian International.

Two other players, Lior Refaelov and Abdoulay Diaby, are also training alone in the anticipation they will also be transferred.

The report says that Newcastle are interested in signing 24-year-old Anthony Limbombe but that the transfer window in England has only eight days to run before it slams shut on August 9th.

So Club Brugge are hoping that a solution will come soon.

Club Brugge winger Anthony Limbombe – Newcastle still interested?

Club Brugge coach Ivan Leko has known for a long time that he can no longer count on those three players for the coming season so he is training the squad without them.

But it doesn’t seem that a winger is one of Rafa Benitez’ high priorities in the final eight days of the window – since we still need a striker, left back and center-back brought in and possibly a new number 10.

And if the manager is really after Limbombe we would expect he would want to sell one of the existing wingers – maybe Christian Atsu.

But the reports that Huddersfield Town were interested in signing the Ghanaian International earlier in the week turned out to be false.

We would be very surprised if we see Limbombe in Newcastle colors this year.

What do you think?

• Rowan

Aug 1, 2018 at 12:32 PM

Apologies for reposting, but… I just want to. Ok??!

Lesh

Yeah I appreciate the irony there. WB must be desperate to cut costs – such as wages – but Gayle is a proven Championship striker who could get 20 goals and spearhead a promotion push. He’d be a great bit of business as far as they’re concerned.

As Ronaldo (and others) have said, I’d be happy to keep Gayle for his work rate, movement and the improvements he seems to be making under Rafa. Would be good to sign an out-and-out CF as well though. Rondon is such a player, but there are large question marks over how good he’ll be – his goal scoring record of late is not good.

If the Rondon deal collapses, we can expect a flood of rumours regarding possible signings up front. I just hope Rafa is allowed to spend some money on another target – if we even have one – who can lead the line effectively next season. Having players like Gayle, Perez and Muto buzzing around a strong CF would give defences a right headache.

• Charge

Aug 1, 2018 at 12:38 PM

Slimani??

• Rowan

Aug 1, 2018 at 12:42 PM

Nicky,

I really like how calm and measured your posts are. I agree that moving out another couple of players and making a couple of decent signings (LB & CF ideally imo) would make this window a relative success.

I also notice that many people seem to think that the HoF loan is being plucked from the pockets of the club – and that PL football teams are some sort of money-making wonder machines – which I disagree with. As Nezza & Magscar have pointed out, Ashley is a billionaire with many businesses and assets – as the HoF article served to highlight – so he has money avasble to sanction a loan that isn’t strictly ‘nufc momey’. That said, I don’t profess to fully understand the fiscal complexities of multi-million pound businesses, or their owners, and I never will. I’m in the dark – just like everyone – as to why we don’t have more money available and it frustrates me. But the HoF thing is surely incidental – I see no point in banging our collective drums about that.

I think the thing that most disappoints and angers me, and probably many others, is that we have a golden opportunity to make progesss here – how often does a club like us have a world class manager like Rafa? Ashley’s lack of ambition as the owner of a football club is a constant barrier to us improving, and a perennial source of irritation for the fans. I genuinely believe that he didn’t really know what he was doing when he bought the club. And probably now regrets it. Didn’t he even say that much?

That – and the lies and moments of crass idiocy that have haunted his tenure (Joe Kinnear, first and foremost) is what drives a wedge between Ashley and the fans. The phrase ‘every last penny’ keeps going round and round my mind… Much like promises to the NHS written on the side of a bus.

Losing Rafa because of Ashley’s lack of ambition will be the greatest upset of all. God only knows who we’d end up with after that.

• c-dog

Aug 1, 2018 at 12:47 PM

Nicky backing Ashley again…

• Lindisfarne

Aug 1, 2018 at 12:50 PM

NUST recently did an interview with True Faith, which is on the post Porto match Podcast.

I got the impression they are more interested in achieving a proportion of fan ownership in the club, reflecting the policy of the Trusts of other PL clubs. He also expressed that they shy away from being on social media and i extrapulated that that meant fan protests.

• martoon

Aug 1, 2018 at 12:54 PM

I’m not an accountant but I know you can’t just take money out of a company and put it in your back pocket or give it to SD to lend to HOF. Yes you can pay yourself a bonus as a director or even director loans etc. (all subject to tax). but they all have to show up in the accounts. Articles state quite clearly that the HOF loan will be from SD which is probably a much more wealthier company than NUFC so suggestions that the transfer money has gone to a loan to HOF is quite simply ludicrous.
    Saying that I don’t understand why we have no money for transfers either but maybe the theory that Ashley is repaying his loan so he can sell NUFC at a reduced price is plausible – we will only know from next year’s accounts. If he does sell maybe this short term pain will be worth it for long term gain to be rid of Ashley!

• ashleysmate

Aug 1, 2018 at 12:54 PM

RE post
    Good on Gayle wanting g to stay with us..just hope it gives him more incentive to try and score more goals

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 1, 2018 at 12:54 PM

So it seems the chronicle have been stopped from streaming the match tonight and mycujoo who were the source have blocked it for england. Not sure about rest of uk. Still i reckon a stream will be available.

• Rowan

Aug 1, 2018 at 12:56 PM

Charge

I was wondering about Slimani myself. As no one here seems to have mentioned him I thought I may be missing something, but… I wonder if there’s still an option there. It’d be nice to see how he does for us when he’s not injured!

• Rowan

Aug 1, 2018 at 1:01 PM

Martoon

Agreed.

Love your theory – have seen it mentioned on here before (possibly by you) – who knows!? It’s a lovely theory though.

If we stay up next season, Ashley sells the club and a new (capable) owner comes in, gets Rafa to extend his contract and gives him £40-50m to send next summer… Wow. There’ll be parties in the streets. Of course, it’d be nice to win the lottery too… I wonder which circumstance is more likely.

• Wayayman

Aug 1, 2018 at 3:13 PM

Martoon @ 6: Here’s the rub re the SD/Ho/NUFC connection.Yo’re quite right in that you can’t just move money from say, NUFC to HoF. What you can do though, is to grow your prime investment, say SD, by using another asset, for example NUFC, and siphoning club merchandise through that company, then furthermore using the same asset to advertise and grow the market awareness of the brand without it costing said brand a single penny which in turn leads to massive profits for the prime investment which can then be paid to directors/shareholders who can then put that money anywhere they like – bailing out a different company like HoF for example.

All connected, with NUFC at the very hub it. Anyone who says ashley is stupid needs to think about how he’s got away with this for all this time.