Local Lad Benefits From Training With First Team – A Massive Step Up

21-year-old South Shields born Callum Roberts says he has benefitted from training with the first team this preseason.

Callum was promoted to Rafa Benitez’s first-team squad along with Jamie Sterry, Josef Yarney, Sean Longstaff, Adam Armstrong and Victor Fernandez in the preseason and it will be a growing experience for all six youngsters.

Callum has been surprised at just how hard the Newcastle players train, and he already thinks he’s become a better player because of this preseason.

He cites Matt Ritchie as one example – a player who works his socks off both in training and during games – and we are pleased he was not sold this summer.

21-year-old Callum Roberts – in action at Hull in preseason

This is what the 21-year-old forward has said as reported in the Shields Gazette today:

“Looking at player like Matt Ritchie, you don’t really see how hard he works on a day-to-day basis.”  “But when you train with him, you see it every day.”

“It’s a massive step up in level from the Under-18s and the U23s.

“It makes you realize you need to up your game a lot more, whether that’s in the gym or on the pitch because they’re non-stop.”

“Everybody knows you need to work hard, but to make the step up you’ve got to work even harder. “

“It’s good for me, Sean (Longstaff), Victor (Fernandez), Jamie (Sterry) and Adam (Armstrong) to be around the first team and strive to get into it.”

“We’ll see what happens in the next few weeks, but the main target now is to play games at a high level,”

“That’s what I need to do, because the last couple of seasons haven’t really gone as well as I wanted them to.”

“But this year I think I can do well. “We’ll see what the manager says and see what happens.”

Roberts has played twice for the England U20 side and has had short loan spells at Gateshead and Kilmarnock.

He could perhaps be part of the first team squad this season.

Otherwise, he could go out on loan to get first-team experience elsewhere.

• Wayayman

Aug 1, 2018 at 3:26 PM

JiB, you don’t think SD’s growth in the last 11 years, in a massive economic downturn where most businesses are struggling is anything to do with the free advertising on a national and international scale that the brand gets every week? Should we add ‘marketing genius’ to your ever-growing areas of expertise?

• Optimistic Panda

Aug 1, 2018 at 3:26 PM

Jib

Sorry not everyone can speak several languages and run five uni courses simultaneously.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 1, 2018 at 3:29 PM

So that’s your message to your kids, just hand over your sweets and pocket money or face a bigger kicking???

• Bobbybee

Aug 1, 2018 at 3:31 PM

OP, buy a map of Newcastle dummy. You might then learn where SJP is, which will be a start.

• hibbit

Aug 1, 2018 at 3:37 PM

bobby go read it again
    it’s nothing more than a groverling crawling sniffling apologist approach to a tyrant, from a poster who’s frightened of his own shadow,
    not what i would have expect of you with all your tuff guy tales

• Jib

Aug 1, 2018 at 3:39 PM

Wayayman

SD’s growth in the last 11 years, in a massive economic downturn
    where most businesses are struggling , is down to the SJP advertising.

You actually believe it !!!!!!

Shit – I was taking the piss

You ACTUALLY believe it !

well I’ll go to the foot of our stairs

• Wayayman

Aug 1, 2018 at 3:41 PM

Jib, I’ve go no idea what you’re talking about. Seems like a contradiction wrapped in a blustering ballbag. Are you agreeing with me or disagreeing? One post says one thing, the next the other. Afternoon drinking already?

• Jib

Aug 1, 2018 at 3:41 PM

Optimistic Panda
    Jib
    No need to apologise
    Just stfu

• Optimistic Panda

Aug 1, 2018 at 3:42 PM

Bobby

You’re a prize ar5ehole.

You aren’t worth reading as it’s the same 5hit every post in a 1000 words or more.

You’ve been posting a couple years but claim to have posted for longer, Bull5hit!

If you had you’d know I jacked my ticket in because I’d had enough of Ashley, as have many others but you wouldn’t know this as your heads up your ass. Self righteous prick!

You may think I don’t know where SJP is but i know for a fact your balls are in your lasses purse!

You’re like my sister, no man at all.

• Optimistic Panda

Aug 1, 2018 at 3:43 PM

Jib

If I was as dumb as you and told as many lies I wouldn’t speak.

• Wayayman

Aug 1, 2018 at 3:47 PM

Bobby, the fact is that this was a letter of intent. The course of action will be disclosed in time. I can bet that it doesnt involve staying away from SJP. Ashley doesn’t care one bit about that, and the MPG know it and are in full agreement on that. Making SD a toxic brand in the NE is a decent place to start. Not buying merch from the club shop (SD in frilly knickers) is part of it. Buy any sports stuff, inc NUFC merch from online or better yet, Start Fitness in Newcastle or even DW sports.

• Bobbybee

Aug 1, 2018 at 3:49 PM

Jail, no it isn’t ffs. Wow, I am amazed at how THICK people are. Try taking my sweets and see how soft I am, disabled or not.
    You start a war with diplomacy. Remind me, did we nuke Russia because we pretended they poisoned a spy? No. Why not? We’d be flattened within an hour.
    Ashley holds the cards, like it or not.
    Not everybody flip flops like you. You’ve changed your mind more often than a clock, which tells a different time every second.
    “I’m never going whilst Ashley’s in charge. Oh wait, Rafa’s come in. I’ll always support Newcastle. Oh, hang on, a new group has started, I’m handing in my ST”. Dying fish flip flop less ffs.
    This was meant to be the opening salvo and you’ve blown it. If Ashley so chose, he could destroy us. Fact.
    You go in by offering him the chance to bail. Make him APPEAR the bigger man, when in fact you’ve conned him into it. You don’t MEAN the words you use ffs, you use them to butter him up. Massage his ego,knowing he has a massive one.
    Sorry, my mistake. I should’ve realised how dumb some people are on here. I should’ve spelled it out first. “You don’t mean this BS, but you use it anyway to appeal to Ashley’s huge ego”.
    Of course it’s BS!!! I would’ve thought that obvious, but like I say, I overrated the IQ by a million miles.
    Do I mean those, words? DER!! Obviously not. You butter up. You flannel. THEN, if that fails, you go to war.
    What a waste of time.