New Signing Has The Character And Desire To Become A Big Success On Tyneside

26-year-old Fabian Schar says when he first talked to Rafa Benitez about coming to Newcastle it was not a long talk.

Fabian pretty much decided instantly that he wanted to come to play for Newcastle under the coaching of the world-class Rafa Benitez.

We have to remember what a draw Rafa is for ambitious players who want to get better, and they know Rafa can get the very best out of them.

That’s one reason Dwight Gayle wants to stay at Newcastle – he’s happy in the area and his improvement this year as a footballer, even though he didn’t score the goals for us,  was there for all to see.

We hope Dwight stays for next season.

Fabian Schar – in action against Porto

Fabian Schar remembers all about Alan Shearer and Newcastle United in the 1990s, and he seems delighted to have joined the club – and we got him for an absolute steal at just £3M from Spanish club Deportivo – who were relegated last season.

This is what Schar has told the Chronicle:

“I think the Premier League is the best league in the world.”

“I am really happy to get this opportunity to play against the best players and best teams. But of course, I played in Spain last year with Barcelona and Real Madrid.”

“So I think I know how to play against the big names. I also have experience when I played with Basel against English clubs so it’s good for me.”

“The Premier League was the most important league for me to watch growing up. I liked the football and the stadiums and fans.”

“Now I get the chance to play and be part of it. I remember Alan Shearer being a legend at the club and he’s still classed as a big idol.”

“The stadium is fantastic. I played in 2012 with Switzerland at the Olympics.”

“It’s not the same as playing in front of the home fans so I am looking forward to my debut.”

“It wasn’t long (his talk with Rafa Benitez before he signed), pretty much an instant decision.”

“After being contacted by the coach I had a really good feeling and it was clear I wanted to come here and join the club. The only focus was to come to Newcastle.”

“He is a top coach and I can learn a lot from him. I can learn a lot from the Premier League and English football in general.”

“There’s a lot to do. First I need to get settled and see how it all works.” “I have some experience already but I am looking to improve as a player here. I want to help this team.”

“It’s not that I’m not a typical defender because I know I have to defend for the team.”

“I’ll do anything if it means putting a zero on the scoreline in favor of Newcastle. What I can also do is help the team by showing my qualities.”

“I can also bring good passing and long balls to the game as it has been my strengths throughout my career. I’ll keep that up and help this team.”

“Now I am focused and looking forward to new things here and a new season.”

It looks like Fabian may get a start tonight at Braga, and he may be being fast-tracked by Rafa to start the first game alongside captain Jamaal Lascelles against Spurs a week on Saturday.

It’s either Fabian or Ciaran Clark who has already said he wants to become a first-team regular again this season.

That’s good competition in central defense, and it’s going to be interesting to see just how quickly Fabian Schar can settle in at Newcastle.

We hope it’s very quickly for the sake of the team.

This player seems to have what it takes to become a big success at Newcastle.

• Wayayman

Aug 1, 2018 at 4:47 PM

TNMW from last, obviously the FREE advertising at SJP which feature the SD logo prominently on every photograph and TV clip associated with home games does have a hugely significant impact on the brand. You want proof? If it didn’t, then greedy Mike would have sold the advertising space to anyone for any amount of money. He knows the value of it or the cash would be in his back pocket from someone else’s company being on the 100+ signs that plaster St James’.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 1, 2018 at 4:52 PM

Ed I do think you ought to have stuck with the Magpies group thread today.

The discussion/arguments is being lost in all of the new bus movements.

• The next Mike Williamson

Aug 1, 2018 at 4:54 PM

the masses have rarely overpowered the powerful. youve got more chance of a herd of cows overthrowing the farmer than regular people uniting and getting a fairer deal for themselves. ashley and his like stick together which is why the papers will condemn us and praise him. look at the chronicle, one negative word and theyre banned from SJP. theyre organised, we are always leaderless. if we do get a leader he’ll be taken down with slurs and mud slinging.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 1, 2018 at 4:54 PM

How long does it normally take for a work permit to be issued?

Be a pity if Muto doesn’t get a run out before the season starts.

• Jib

Aug 1, 2018 at 4:57 PM

Bill he should get a run out vs Augsburg on Saturday

• Dave76

Aug 1, 2018 at 4:58 PM

I would like is to be spending on players but judging the success of a transfer on net spend is ridiculous.

If messi and ronaldo were out of contract we could have signed them and sold mitro and had a -27m net spend but our team would be substantially better.

Southampton have a positive net spend, but have loaned out carillo 19m in jan and classie about 13m. If they sold them for what they cost they would have a negative net spend

The only way to realistically judge any teams business is to decide if their squad/team has improved.

• Rowan

Aug 1, 2018 at 5:00 PM

In other news – Lomana LuaLua is alive & well!

Lomana LuaLua: Former Newcastle and Portsmouth striker plays for non-league Tilbury

• Rowan

Aug 1, 2018 at 5:02 PM

Not sure why that isn’t posting as a link. It’s from BBC Sport if anyone wants a read. It’s a nice little story.

• The next Mike Williamson

Aug 1, 2018 at 5:02 PM

last i heard it was worth approx 2m, not sure if that was per year or over a few years. it was obvious they’d do ok out the recession. and on top of cheap tat being in demand there were loads of companies going bust that Ashley hoovered up and got them making money again. i could be wrong but i think ashley is worth 2-4bn more than he was at the start of the recession. SD may be worth anything from 2-8bn more. our advertising is pennies compared to that. although its money we should have to spend.

• Pottsclock

Aug 1, 2018 at 5:09 PM

I’m with the camp who think that the stadium advertising makes minimal difference to Sports Direct and certainly not the difference that is being suggested that it was a significant factor in the growth of Sports Direct. Advertising can be and is bought by Sports Direct all over the place – papers, television, the highstreet itself and even those nasty bags. What we’re talking about is one form of advertising in a niche area within the stadium for a retail business that has and remains to be mostly UK based. So the guys watching abroad largely don’t care.
    It’s quite easy to go on to the Sports Direct website and review the accounts and management summaries each year since 2007.
    If you do so, you’ll see that the strategy is to buy or support failing businesses and brands and stack ’em high and sell ’em cheap. It’s a simple as that. The pricepoint does it.
    Sport Direct was worth around £2.5billion in 2007. It’s had good years and bad years but it was massive even before Ashley bought NUFC and he has simply continued his formula throughout his reign.

• Bobbybee

Aug 1, 2018 at 5:15 PM

Wayayman. Trump? Seriously? Based on what? A MSM full of swamp monsters who hate him? Try doing some research pal. EG. Black unemployment down to an all time low since records began. Fact. Latino unemployment down since the seventies. Fact. GDP at its highest for decades. Fact.
    And I don’t like Trump! The problem is, like it or not, the world is run by paedophiles that Trump is trying to destroy. Draining the swamp. They’ve been banging the Russia bollox for over a year. Wasted billions on it and found…. NOTHING. The so called dossier was paid for by the Clintons and the FBI. You have a device in your hands that can confirm all that if you bother using it. MSM the world over is owned by six companies. Six people decide what you read as fact and each and every one of them is a swamp monster. Research ffs, don’t believe blindly what the press tell you.
    Anyway, what’s the point. Believe what you’re told, not what you can research for yourself. I mean, why bother when the press are so honest, right? After all, they’re furious with Trump for sorting out NK and making the world safer by trading with Russia. World War is a much better option, right? Both Trump and Putin are against the NWO – work it out.
    So, for the final time. In a volatile situation, you start with diplomacy. If that fails, you increase the pressure until sadly, war is the the only answer. Then you go to war!!! None of this Pussy footing around threatening people. Do it, or stfu. Threats bounce off Ashley like a rubber ball. If you can’t talk sense into him, do something about him. But nobody will. All mouth and no action.

• Wayayman

Aug 1, 2018 at 5:18 PM

Potts if that was really the case, then there wouldn’t be a market for anyone owning naming /advertising rights in PL stadiums. Granted, it’s part of a wider marketing/advertising campaign but to say it has little impact is naive. Honestly, the fat man would have sold the rights for £2M if that was all it was worth to his beloved SD. He knows it’s worth a lot more to that brand, That’s all we are to him.

• Wayayman

Aug 1, 2018 at 5:22 PM

Okaaaaaaaaay… Bobby I think we best leave it there. One thing I’ve learned is that there’s no arguing with that mindset.

• c-dog

Aug 1, 2018 at 5:29 PM

The Ashley lovers are out in force today defending the clubs spending. Look like hired goons to me…

• Pottsclock

Aug 1, 2018 at 5:31 PM

Wayayman. We’re owned by a guy with a massive ego who wants the name of his companies splashed all around the football club he owns. Not a surprise – it’s his ego and to be honest, I would probably do the same if I bought the club. And as you yourself point out – there is a market for stadium advertising as part of a wider advertising strategy. Happy to disagree politely, each to their own opinion.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Aug 1, 2018 at 5:32 PM

House of Fraser could be up shit creek
    Chinese investors have pulled out – where’s this leave Ashley!!!!

• Wayayman

Aug 1, 2018 at 5:34 PM

Agreed Potts.

• Our Toon

Aug 1, 2018 at 5:50 PM

Bobby

Its your choice if you go or not, no one should have an issue with it just as you shouldn’t have an issue with those who refuse to go or can’t go due to geographical location. Doesn’t make you better fan or worse fan than anyone else.

My two pence worth is fans is one of the big reasons players used to enjoy playing here, both home and away, it’s the very reason we are an easy target and Ashley knows this.

I’ll retain my right to not go now until Ashley leaves, more out of principal than anything else, I’ll watch from far away but still support the players and rafa as much as you will sat in your seat on match days. The Ashley issue has got more media recently and I couldn’t careless how it’s written as long as it points out the negativity of his reign.

At least some groups are actually trying to do something rather than repeat the same old routine in the hope for change, no one should be belittling that!! I hope you enjoy the season and hopefully it’s the last one under Ashley

• ShirebrookToon

Aug 1, 2018 at 5:54 PM

Charlie

He’ll ise the rest of the tv money then 😆

• Mag :P

Aug 1, 2018 at 5:56 PM

When does the match start tonight?

• Our Toon

Aug 1, 2018 at 5:57 PM

Stadium advertising makes a huge difference, as does naming rights. If it didn’t then not many companies would be lining up to advertise, it’s especially huge for blue chip companies rather than local ones in the PL, games are watched globally and you are paying a fraction to reach a worldwide audience.

To think it has minimal impact is nothing short of laughable, Emirates mentioned it as huge for them to grow massively around the world, it played a big part in the success they had.

If you look closer to home it’s helped Ashley build up the profile of failed companies and make them a success. Without the mass free advertising these companies would never have grown as quick in such a short space.

• Jib

Aug 1, 2018 at 6:01 PM

19.30

• Jib

Aug 1, 2018 at 6:03 PM

Aye Our Toon you’re right
    American Express were virtually unknown until
    Brighton and Hove Albion named their stadium

• Moonraker15

Aug 1, 2018 at 6:06 PM

Don’t underestimate the power of advertising! SJP is seen all over the world on match days and you cannot fail to see the dreaded SD name everywhere! Think of “Etihad” and “Emirates” and tell me you don’t associate it with the stadium of City and Arsenal. Why do you think fatso wanted to change the Stadium name to S D Arena?

• posada

Aug 1, 2018 at 6:11 PM

Good to see Bobbybee back.
    I’ll recap on a few things I have said while he was away.

Some days ago – IRGWG – Go where ?

I’ve been getting stick for saying I will never give up my ticket. Turns out most of the folks saying that don’t have season tickets. As I said several days ago it’s dead easy to give up something you don’t actually have.

Magpie Gruop statement sounds just like the Ashley Out/Pardew Out movement. They can string a few clever words together. That’s about it.

Consensus from 50 odd thousand is very difficult.

• swemag

Aug 1, 2018 at 6:11 PM

Going to the game tonight, would be nice to see Kenedy. Anyone knows where he is? Is he with Chelsea for the preseason?
    Mainly because we had real issue keeping hold of the ball last game and he is a player that can keep the ball.

• Moonraker15

Aug 1, 2018 at 6:11 PM

Jib
    If Amex didn’t get added value out of advertising at Brighton, they wouldn’t bother would they? Or do you think they are rich benefactors ?

• Bobbybee

Aug 1, 2018 at 6:12 PM

What mindset? The one that does research and not believes the lying MSM. The MSM that tells us Prince Andrew isn’t a nonce, despite records showing he was a regular visitor to Paedo Island, Epstein’s homebase? (Have you even heard of him?) Prince Charles, who wanted Jimmy effing Saville to be his best man? Or his latest best buddy, the paedophile Bishop currently in jail but getting love letters from Charles?
    Then the ‘accident’ involving Diana, who an MI5 agent confessed on his deathbed to murdering?
    You’re right, you can’t argue with dickheads who believe everything they’re told in the press – they’re too dumb.
    There is no longer an excuse for such denials. The www opened up reality to all who care to bother. After all, it was definitely the Liverpool fans who caused Hillsborough – it was in the press after all.
    Tell you what smarty, open a new tab and type in Paedo Island. See what it tells you. Facts the MSM deliberately ignore.
    Or do you deny the facts re Trump? Again, feel free to type it in and discover the truth. You won’t like it so you’ll ignore it, but so what?
    Anybody who even bothers with MSM deserves all they get imo.
    The Internet is a wonderful thing. Why do you think the powers that be want to censor it? Surely you can work that much out? They don’t censor lies – they prove them wrong. When they can’t prove them wrong, they censor it. Again, not exactly difficult to work out, is it? I bet you’ve already got a smart meter installed, right?
    Did you not discover how smart TV’s were used to spy on people? Probably not. Check it out. The intelligence agencies didn’t even deny it ffs. Dirty horrible paedophiles watching your bairns through the camera in the smart TV?
    Ask yourself this. When did the govt do anything massive just purely to benefit you? No ulterior motive, just to make your life easier.
    Now ask why they’re so desperate to get everyone a smart meter into their home? The cost of manufacture. The cost of fitting it. The fact they’ll even pay you to have one fitted. The huge advertising campaign on TV. How much do you think that adds up to? Billions.
    And why? Just to stop you having to put up with annoyance of having your meter read. Wow, how so decent and thoughtful of them. After all, having my meter read has always, been the most annoying aspect of my existence. Almost made me suicidal that once a quarter aggravation of someone asking me to read my meter.
    You’re so right. How does one argue with such a mindset? Do the research dummy, then come back with a proper argument. MSM is propaganda. Always has been, always will. And you’re all the proof required to show how effective it is. It’s just laziness. Pure idleness. Or the fact that the truth frightens you so much you choose to ignore it. You decide which it is pal.

• hibbit

Aug 1, 2018 at 6:16 PM

Charlie

Ashley will get exactly what he’s always wanted a merger between HoF and Debenhams,

his grand plan has always been House of Debenhams

• Rotonda heights

Aug 1, 2018 at 6:17 PM

If lascelles goes to Everton we should be all over Mina. same qualities and a great leader

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 1, 2018 at 6:17 PM

Of course one decides for himself whether or not he will go to matches or he wants to be a ST-holder!

But if we are to unite and find a way through this then surely everyone has the right to voice an opinion about whether one should or shouldn’t go to matches …or buy ST-tickets!

People do want they want anyway…most people I meet on here are themselves closest ‘

• GeordieTwo

Aug 1, 2018 at 6:19 PM

That’s an incredibly incorrect post @12. Many, many things have already been turned up with respect to Russian collusion with the Trump group. Several people have already pleaded guilty to various felonies. The Trump Jr. meeting in Trump tower WAS with Russians associated with that government. There have been repeated denials and lies about that from Trump. He inherited a very healthy economy from Obama which he conveniently ignores. Soon his tariffs will started biting into the economic growth and people are already beginning to lose their jobs over it. Shame on you for adding to the lies about what has happened. Trump will be indicted and prosecuted once he leaves office. He may be impeached next year if the Democrats win Congress. He is the most corrupt leader ever in the US, even more so than the shameful Nixon.

• Jib

Aug 1, 2018 at 6:22 PM

Moonraker15
    Ashley changed the Stadium name to S D Arena
    you pilloch
    Then abandoned it
    You’re arguing against yerself
    Ha ha ha ha

• GeordieTwo

Aug 1, 2018 at 6:26 PM

Getting back to the football, I’m proud to see what the people of Newcastle are doing to attempt to get the fat lump of lard to do something positive for the club. Sell up Ashley. You have already admitted you are hopeless as an owner. Your methods haven’t and will never work in football. A bottom line approach has merit but can never be the only goal. There are many ways to be a successful club. Ashley has used none of them.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 1, 2018 at 6:32 PM

GT #33…I never talk politics on here but I truly salute you for that post my friend! 🙂

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 1, 2018 at 6:34 PM

posada…have you asked why those people don’t have ST?

• posada

Aug 1, 2018 at 6:40 PM

This Epstein fella.
    How much is he worth.
    Does he want to buy a football club.

• jazzyp

Aug 1, 2018 at 6:43 PM

Posada

Sorry mate that’s a load of horse shite.
    I don’t have a season ticket as it’s impossible for me to get to mid week games due to where I live and work commitments. But have been sat in the same section for nearly 30 year.Everyone has a choice in life to do something that can affect change,Or chooses not to cos they have an ST…..Hahaha give me a break

• Bobbybee

Aug 1, 2018 at 6:44 PM

Our Toon, please, show me where I have said it’s wrong not to go to games? Good luck finding that quote.
    In fact, you’ll find the opposite. I have repeatedly said it’s your money, spend it how you see fit. The only time I mention games is when I get told not to go because some minority group who don’t go, tell me I’m wrong for going. But please, feel free to show me differently. You won’t find it, but it’s your time to waste looking. 🙂 Knock yourself out pal.
    I go because I spend my money how I see fit. And frankly, I couldn’t care less who that bothers. If you can’t go because it’s out of your economy or too far to travel, such is life. That said, I managed for decades travelling from the Midlands, as do plenty others.
    But let’s not be silly either. Fans who bother travelling the length and breadth of the country following the team, are most definitely more committed and loyal. Argue the toss, it’s water off a duck’s back. Manure have billions of armchair fans, but we still get called the best. Work it out. We are the most loyal fans in the country because, we turn up regardless of winning nowt for decades. That’s not me saying it, it’s football in general.
    I go to support the team, not Ashley. Ashley never enters my head when I’m in SJP, not for one second. I doubt anybody else does either.
    And yes, winning something would be nice, but we’ve won nowt all my life and as much as I’d love to blame Ashley for that… I’m brighter than that. So at worse, Ashley has matched the rest. He’s as crap as the rest.
    We just got promoted and finished tenth. That’s actually quite an achievement thanks to Rafa and the players. Not good enough for you though I notice. You won’t be back and have to gloat about it. So what? You actually think anybody cares? Hilarious.
    Hartlepool fans still turn up I notice. Respect to them. Every other club’s fans who win nowt turn up too. Leeds – who’s fans have suffered far worse than us – still turn up without bleating constantly. Forest and Derby – who remember glory days still turn up without whining all the time. Just food for thought.

1 2 3 6