Report – Newcastle Back In For Rondon – Rafa Hopes For New Arrivals This Weekend

The Mail are reporting today that Newcastle and West Brom have restarted their negotiations to try to get Rondon to Newcastle as a part exchange loan deal for Dwight Gayle.

The talks had ended a day or two ago.

It’s a loan deal so what West Brom will do with Rondon’s contract is a good question – because it runs out next summer.

And if it’s a straight transfer (a loan deal is being reported) then what figure will West Brom want for Rondon whose release clause of  £16.5M ran out at the end of July.

It’s a little embarrassing the way Newcastle have foundered on this deal and how long they take to buy players or get players on loan in any transfer window.

You cannot accuse them of acting quickly, and snail comes to mind for the pace at which they operate in transfer windows.

How many players they can bring in before next Thursday is a good question – probably not too many.

With six days left in this window, Newcastle have been in negotiations for over two months to get Rondon, and it’s still going on?

Salomon Rondon – Newcastle back in for him

This also doesn’t give us any new net strikers at the club, we get Rondon and lose Gayle, so we will need to sign another striker before next Thursday at 5:00pm when this transfer window slams shut.

But yesterday the Chronicle also reported some potentially good news that Rafa is hopeful of getting a couple of players in over the weekend.

So maybe Rafa’s outburst on Wednesday night at Braga has had some effect, and the hierarchy at Newcastle are finally waking up to the realization they have to spend some money over the next week.

But maybe not.

And it looks like Adam Armstrong will join Blackburn for an initial £1.5M rising to £3M based on how well he does at the Rovers.

This transfer window seems like it’s lasted for months and months and if this was a film we were watching about what’s been going on – we’d have walked out the theater by now

🙂

• bettyswallocks

Aug 4, 2018 at 9:54 AM

bettyswallocks
    Aug 4, 2018 at 9:51 AM
    Allardyce stated a few months ago on TalkSport that he appreciated Ashley explaining that he only fired him to appease the fans and that it was a mistake.
    We now have Sycophantic Sam singing Ashley’s praises and big Mike making it clear that his main objective is to spend as little as possible and avoid relegation.
    Which manager may I ask specialises in avoiding relegation under the most difficult circumstances.

Allardyce is a mercenary, money driven , arrogant man with a skin like a rhinoceros, and not interested or affected by anyone else’s views on him. Some might say the perfect match.

• lochinvar

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:03 AM

God forbid that Allardyce ever got near Newcastle again yet alone NUFC. That would require Benton to become a peace camp making Greenham Common seem like a Sunday school picnic.
    We’d even have to hold hands around the perimeter of SJP singing ” we shall overcome ” .
    Now there’s an idea.

• giimps

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:04 AM

We already have Hoselu ,why go for Rondon?
    Cashley will be looking at the amount of goals the hoss scored for the amount of money spent ,it looks like a bargain, 5 m for a few goals, or 16m for a few more…….surely if we get another hoss, we can save 10m and have the same amount of goals,…….er, why do we need goals again?

• Ron Knee

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:06 AM

The Rondon transfer saga is almost as farcical as this:

“I have great respect for the U.K. United Kingdom. Great respect. People call it Britain. They call it Great Britain. They used to call it England, different parts.” (Orange Manbaby yesterday)

• bettyswallocks

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:07 AM

In my humble opinion having thought long and hard about it and after putting myself in his shoes for a few horrible seconds, the best way to ruffle Ashley’s feathers and give him cause to rethink his position would be to constantly remind him whenever he is in a public place that we don’t want him at the club.

Ashley outside his work likes to eat out and have a few pints in the pub. If we could somehow organise an Ashley watch and send a few lads every time he shows up in public to serenade him a bit , obviously keeping it within the confines of freedom of speech laws then surely to disrupt his social activities would eventually start to get to him.

The only snag is he lives darn sarf but it would only require a handful of fans to have the desired affect and we do have southern based fans. Not easy to organise I know , but it would definitely work.

• Ron Knee

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:07 AM

giimps

Yes, and field 12 men. Nobody would notice.

• lochinvar

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:10 AM

“Rondon in, Rondon out, Rondon in, shake it all about ”

Puzzling that the hacks have failed to say that Everton and West Ham aren’t bidding for Rondon.

Clearly no one including NUFC is going to pay £16.5 million for a 29year old player out of contract in about 9 months time. For WBA to delay negotiations so that the players escape clause ran out is possible or did we know that and didn’t make an offer because it would be an open market position now. WBA pitch at £25m is hysterical. No doubt Charnley pitched at £5m.

WBA want rid. The player wants out. NUFC have a need. Gayle isn’t going anywhere.
    Deal or no deal ?
    £10m cash, 5 installments.
    Take it or leave it.

• clinath@ed

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:13 AM

Big Sam is a perfec5 fi5 for Ashley, not us fans, but Ashley yes. Will keep any team in the middle o& the league so the money rolls in, probably next to no personal ambition any more, so would just plod on regardless.
    They deserve one another

• lochinvar

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:18 AM

Ed:
    “But yesterday the Chronicle also reported some potentially good news that Rafa is hopeful of getting a couple of players in over the weekend”

Charnley working weekends ?
    Sounds suspicious to me

• Marzy

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:23 AM

@Dave76
    Very true, I know in my heart of hearts I want him to support NUFC no matter what difficulties I endured when I was a child, it would be nice to see some success on the horizon.
    One thing is for sure, I will never spend a penny a SD or any other enterprise MA is involved in! “The wife’s knackered now! HOF & Debs are her favourites! Ha!”

• Marzy

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:28 AM

Decision made!
    Now Rondon is a good CF who is able to bring players into the match and rustle a few feathers. If it’s a straight swap plus a couple of million for Gayle then i think it’s a good piece of business, if not then he’s only worth 10/12 mil tops.
    I still think getting this French pacey striker still at a development stage would be an advantage to us.

• giimps

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:36 AM

Ron, that’s where Cashley cunning plan falls over, although he is paying them all so he should be able to play them all……..or, he could leave out a player who don’t score goals, Dubravka…..yeah, leave him out, he’s never ever scored a goal for us……..what am I paying him for?

• Ron Knee

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:38 AM

giimps

Maybe they could let Dubravka take a penalty?

• Munster Mag

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:47 AM

Jeez I wish I gad to brought up the allardyce / Ashley thought again yesterday as now it’s all over the blog :(. What a way for Ashley to hurt us. Noooooo

• Pottsclock

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:55 AM

We know Allardyce is a complete tool.
    On the Rondon saga, I’m not a fan of his but if Rafa wants him then that’s good enough. If we had payed the £16.5m release clause we would have been £16.5m down and had an additional player in Gayle who we needed to get rid. So I see the logic in trying to drive the swap deal forward and have the cash to spend elsewhere and have a squad of the right size, but it seems that Gayle didn’t want to leave. I suspect that if Gayle does now leave his compensation will include allowance for the newly-agreed bonus deal that was sorted immediately after the Braga game.

Assuming we do get Rondon then we also need to spend the cash elsewhere.

• Ron Knee

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:55 AM

Munster

Cashley would probably go for Moyes.

• DubaiMicky

Aug 4, 2018 at 11:24 AM

Think of the credibility, Penfold is on £150,000 a year, Rafa is on 40x that figure, so in 9 days Rafa earns what Penfold does in a year.

Where is the credibility in Penfold? Now if he was a multi-millionaire in his own right and took say a million a year from the club, then you have the credibility, but he’s not, and he earns a pittance.

• Rotonda heights

Aug 4, 2018 at 11:27 AM

if an allardyce / moyes / pardew / hughes type came in i would find myself actively wanting us to lose. if rafa goes i’m prepared to do a sunderland to get rid of ashley if that’s what it would take.

• Munster Mag

Aug 4, 2018 at 11:28 AM

I think you’re right Ron. Does there come a point where some of us stop supporting nufc. I know it’s impossible but if we got Sam again I wud wonder what the point is anymore. I guess I wud just have to suck it up. That new shirt is nice. I’d consider buying it but how much goes to the club and how much to SD. Can someone advise? The young fella wud love a kit too so same question applies… Tks

• Munster Mag

Aug 4, 2018 at 11:32 AM

Rotunda I cud tolerate Hughes at a very hard push. A tool, but he got Stoke 9th for three seasons running. If Rafa did that we’d build his a statue (not at gallowgate though, Fats wudnt tolerate it). Fat sam? I think I’d rather watch rugby league.

• RUNAWAY777

Aug 4, 2018 at 11:32 AM

Fulham after another player Fulham are plotting another ambitious move, this time trying to sign Real Madrid left-back Theo Hernandez on loan. ffs

• Munster Mag

Aug 4, 2018 at 11:34 AM

Mickey what’s your point re Penfold fella?

• Munster Mag

Aug 4, 2018 at 11:35 AM

Runaway surely we cud try hijack. But wages???

• RUNAWAY777

Aug 4, 2018 at 11:47 AM

Munster i dont hold my breath any more hopping something is about to happen after 40 so years ive given up even my seat gone rather be with the grandkids now, good lucky to the toon today hope they put a show on for the fans.

• bettyswallocks

Aug 4, 2018 at 12:02 PM

One of those sites that publish Shyte on News Now claiming that Chelsea are now in for Grealish meaning that Barkley would then be free to come on loan to us. Bearing in mind we already have Kennedy on loan so it wouldn’t be allowed. How can they be allowed to print this rubbish. Wouldnt mind seeing what Rafa could do with him though.

• one fine day

Aug 4, 2018 at 12:11 PM

Lads,
    Solve a quick dilemma
    Nephew wants a retro shirt for his birthday …just wondering score draw…do they have anything to do with shite direct ?
    If they do they I will rather give his second choice of a tattoo
    At 14 it may not go down to well but rather that than give anything to that fat twat
    Help

• posada

Aug 4, 2018 at 12:12 PM

Marzy
    Two options.

1. Get him to support the Cumbrians. Carlisle Utd. I worked over there for a while. A lot were Man U fans some toon. I liked those that supported their local team.

2. NUFC. My daughter asked when she was little. What would happen if I didnt support Newcastle. She actually mentioned supporting the lot from SR5.
    I said it would be fine, I’d still love her, she would get no more Christmas or Birthday presents, but I’d still love her.

I was only joking of course. I think.

Appreciate your position is different being some way from the Toon.

• jane

Aug 4, 2018 at 12:20 PM

Sunderland v Charlton Athletic …

• jane

Aug 4, 2018 at 12:22 PM

think Sunderland have got a good manager. hope Lee Boyer does well at Charlton.

• simon376

Aug 4, 2018 at 12:26 PM

Well I’m sitting down to watch the lot down the road vs charlton. My relative, mams cousin is now a director at charlton and a former player of theirs, made his debut at Sunderland many years ago, tho supported us as a kid then his son went on to play for us. Never forget being at his house day before the 98 fa cup final and my first trip to Wembley. He asked if I wanted to come back the following week for the play off final, what a game and great to see him as assistant manager going into the premier league

• jane

Aug 4, 2018 at 12:30 PM

“He asked if I wanted to come back the following week for the play off final, what a game”

Charlton 4 Sunderland 4

remember watching that

• one fine day

Aug 4, 2018 at 12:32 PM

Simon
    To save us doing the jib thing who is the ex Charlton player you are talking about?

• simon376

Aug 4, 2018 at 12:35 PM

Keith Peacock and of course his son Gavin who played for us and also had a loan stint at Charlton. His Dad and Grandad taught him well mind, got a picture somewhere of Gav as a kid in a Newcastle top

• simon376

Aug 4, 2018 at 12:35 PM

And yeah Jane what a game and day that was, still prefer watching us at Wembley mind, if only could do that again

• ashleysmate

Aug 4, 2018 at 12:37 PM

#26…have to tried the back page near China town? They might have something, good luck

• lesh

Aug 4, 2018 at 12:50 PM

It seems that Allardyce’s thrown his hat into the ring by letting the world know what he thinks about Rafa not signing up for Ashley – probably with Bishop’s involvement. The result? It now we’re talking who we’d prefer to replace Rafa rather than campaigning to keep him and get rid of Ashley!

Doesn’t that just show how much manipulating the media can steer peoples’ thinking and opinions!