Rafa Losing Confidence In His Newcastle Project

After the 1-0 defeat at home to FC Augsburg yesterday Rafa talked about the transfer window and the fact he knew months ago the players he wanted to be brought in this summer.

But once again he’s been stopped by owner Mike Ashley who is more worried about keeping a good-looking bank account than having a good team on the filed.

Presumably, that’s because he still wants to sell the club.

With Ashley not attending one game last season his interest in Newcastle has evaporated and the sooner he can leave the club and sell up the better it will be,

Rafa Benitez – losing (lost?) confidence in Ashley

But that may be too late to keep Rafa at the club when his contract runs out next summer.

Rafa has talked about what he wanted to do this summer – but it just hasn’t happened.

This is some of what he said as reported in the Chronicle:

“The point is we were ready to go and we knew what we wanted to do.”

“When I decided to stay here it was because it was a project.”

“Everyone knows that we can’t compete against Man City or Man United, but we can do things in the right way.”

“Maybe we can be more competitive or closer to European positions.”

“Maybe we could challenge for a trophy,” “That was the idea.”

“Then we finished 10th and credit to our players but I still thought we could do something more to be closer.”

“It’s not the case.”

“We’ll see where we are and we will fight until the last minute trying to improve the squad first then after that the team.”

“I always have confidence and belief we’ll do what we need to do.”

Rafa used to talk about the (interesting) project he has at Newcastle, but he doesn’t do that much now because he is just not getting the necessary support from Ashley.

Rafa will do his best to strengthen the side as much as possible before Thursday night when the window closes.

And that’s it – he will then call on Newcastle and everybody associated with the club to be pulling in the same direction.

• TomaKaThor

Aug 5, 2018 at 9:03 AM

Can’t blame him,any manager who is there for the football and not just the paycheck will just be drained so fast…Mike Ashley should of never been allowed to by a football club the pathological liar.

• geordieboy83

Aug 5, 2018 at 9:06 AM

Morning all, as I posted about a week ago I’m relatively happy with the signings made so far, would’ve loved more but can still see one or 2 more coming in after Rondon.

Morning jazzy I believe it was yourself I was waxing lyrical to about schar, I’ll help lad me hands up he ain’t looked the best so far like, but trust me he will be a very good player for us.

On Rondon, I’m sure towards the end of the season and at the beginning of last season we were linked with Rondon, and the majority of the blog ridiculed it, saying tha would show ambition, and we couldn’t compete with the names linked with him I.e Chelsea, inter Milan to name a couple. So I’m curious what has changed in people’s mindsets, from him being unrealistic, to now not being good enough? I think he’s a good player and Rafa has wanted him for a long time.
    (Disclaimer: No Rafa did not tell me personally he wanted ed him for a long time:)

• geordieboy83

Aug 5, 2018 at 9:06 AM

Help lad = hold my

• Jib

Aug 5, 2018 at 9:09 AM

See Ed’s playing the same silly games

1/ After the 1-0 defeat at home to FC Augsburg yesterday Rafa talked
    about the transfer window and the fact he knew months ago the players
    he wanted brought in this summer.
    2/ But once again he’s been stopped by owner Mike Ashley who is more
    worried about keeping a good-looking bank account than having a good
    team on the filed

The first paragraph is true
    The second is extrapolated from the first
    and has no evidence to back it up
    (I numbered them cos Mr Tuff thinks a
    paragraph its a skydiving giraffe)

• Jib

Aug 5, 2018 at 9:12 AM

geordieboy83
    I thought at times Schar looked OK
    he’s very composed on the ball.
    His problems yesterday stemmed from
    not having played/trained with his clubmates
    very long.

• hibbit

Aug 5, 2018 at 9:13 AM

the problem with me and Rondon on the few occasions i’ve seen him play i just can’t remember him, he was never in my mind a stand out player, not saying the lads a good buy or a bad buy i just don’t know

but i do remember how good ings was, and when he was fit and on his game he could be lethal a real deadly goal scorer the type we are so obviously lacking
    does he still have that ability or have the injuries blunted it, the strikers instinct will still be there but the physical side of his game could long gone, a loan would have been the obvious solution,
    but with rondon deal being a loan deal am i right in thinking that,s our prem loans quota used up

• lochinvar

Aug 5, 2018 at 9:19 AM

Runaway777
    Good to know that you’re back in the land of the living.
    What tracks did you finish with, something sophisticated for them,
    ,Simple Simon Says or the Birdie Song ?
    Bless.

• geordieboy83

Aug 5, 2018 at 9:19 AM

Hibbit

That’s the thing mate whenever I have seen Rondon I’ve fancied him leading our line. He’s a battening ram of a centre forward, with a surprising amount of pace. He reminds me of a less prolific les Ferdinand in how he plays. He does have the ability to be prolific, or at least 15 per season and with muto hoverimg around I see him as another Bellamy type. Won’t score tons but we all remember how annoying a little sh1t he was and disruptive.

In terms of the loan I think it’s 2 from premier league teams isn’t it? Or is it 2 from all domestic leagues?

• jazzyp

Aug 5, 2018 at 9:19 AM

Geordieboy.

Morning mate.Give him time he might be trying to hard to prove himself bud.I didn’t see the game yesterday but by all accounts he looked good on the ball but jumped in and was to slow to react..Sounds like MBEMBA mk2

• Munster Mag

Aug 5, 2018 at 9:22 AM

Jib, if you disagree with point two, what is your logic for Ashley’s lack of spend?

• TyneMouth

Aug 5, 2018 at 9:24 AM

Repost from last night;

The fixture list for the 2018 / 2019 suggests a somewhat difficult start to the new season.

The general opinion is that the first ten games are particularly difficult, and that may proved to be true.

It is interesting to compare the new fixture list with last season’s schedule.

The first ten games last season, we played only three teams who eventually finished ahead of us at the end of the season, (Spurs, Liverpool and Burnley)

Of the ten games, we Won 4, Drew 2 and Lost 4. We earned 14 points.

We scored 10, and conceded 10. A goal difference of 0.

The next ten games, (leading up to the new year) we played six teams who finished ahead of us at the end of the season.

It was not pretty, to say the least, 8 defeats, 1 draw and a single victory, (West Ham away!) 4 points, and a goal difference of -13, Happy Xmas, not…

Compare these results with the last ten games of last season;

Played 10, lost 4, Drew 1, won 5.

Points; 16. Goal difference +8. Wonderful!

Interestingly, in the last ten games we played last season, we played six teams who finished above us in the final table. (SIX!)

So perhaps, in the next six days before we take on Spurs, we could try and generate an element of optimistic enthusiasm for the manager and the team.

There is a distinct possibility, (Probability) that the players read this blog, or at the very least their friends or family members do. They’re our team, give ’em a hug, show them our support.

Dare I say, unconditionally! HWTL…

• Munster Mag

Aug 5, 2018 at 9:25 AM

Geordieboy 83, nice to read some football chat rather than the usual Ashley railing from guys on here.

• giimps

Aug 5, 2018 at 9:29 AM

Were loaning him from a chamionship side…..says it all really.
    According to the times, the reason Rafa is not getting the funds he needs is cos the club pay for players up front but sell in installments so any potential buyer dont have any player fee liability he can reduce the buying price by.
    Surely though , this must work the other way too though, if we sell a player for a guaranteed sum , that whole amount should be available regardless of whether the whole fee is paid up front as the cost is guaranteed, or am i missing something?
    I have a sneaky suspicion the “every penny generated “ speech may come back and bite Cashley when Rafa walks, its tantamount to constructive dismissal and probably a failure to comply to contractual obligations on Cashleys part ( no i havent seen the contract but would imagine Rafa will have something in it to protect himself from the historical lies and deceit from the Cashley team)

• Munster Mag

Aug 5, 2018 at 9:29 AM

I think rondon will suit us well. Hopefully get up to 15 goals. He has power and height and pace, and I don’t remember a toon striker having that combination in years. As for scar, not too confident but I have only seen video clips. He seems good on the ball and decisive in the tackle. But a bit slow in a straight line and slow turning?

• Jib

Aug 5, 2018 at 9:31 AM

Munster how long you got ?

A
    The premise you start from saying
    it’s all down to Ashley being a tightwad is flawed
    and to be frank a bit silly and childish
    B
    What the clubs were thinking of closing the window so
    early for – it’s put the shits up everyone.
    C
    The rest of Europe don’t close their window until September
    so are working at much slower pace.
    D
    The overheated transfer economy shows no sign of cooling
    E
    The situation (caused by the big clubs huge squads) of too
    many clubs chasing too few (quality) players

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 5, 2018 at 9:32 AM

Jiblets,
    So Ed is playing silly games by voicing his opinion on the shambolic way the club is being run. I’d say the silly games we’re being played by jane who claims that we’re best off not spending to save money or that Arsene Wenger will come in to play survival for Mikey boy you grade A lickspittle.

• geordieboy83

Aug 5, 2018 at 9:32 AM

Munster

Morning mate, they only do it as they care and are passionate about the club mate. I agree talking about it doesn’t help but people need to vent, and a nufc blog is the right place for them to vent.

Only thing I don’t like is the bitching to each other. Pointless exercise.

I’m an eternal optimist luckily so try and see the positives in the team where I can. I don’t understand Ashley, but I trust Rafa even though when we are losing I think I could do a better job haha. It’s what being a footy supporter is i suppose

• Ron Knee

Aug 5, 2018 at 9:32 AM

One of our weak links is Murphy. Is it a lack of confidence issue?

• Whistler

Aug 5, 2018 at 9:34 AM

Jib @ 4
    What planet are you on?
    £123m Tv revenue and £25m transfer surplus remaining unspent, years of neglect, lies and deceit as proven in a court of law…we’ve been crying out for a left back and goalscrorer for ages…these are facts. Even Rafa’s making noises regarding the lack of direction…Ashley holds the purse strings, Ashley was the one taken to court for his lies and deceit… Ashley is accountable…where’s your evidence that this isn’t the case?

• Jib

Aug 5, 2018 at 9:35 AM

You have a situation where Real Madrid could come in next
    month for Courtois and Chelsea cannot buy a replacement
    cos our window has slammed shu

• Jib

Aug 5, 2018 at 9:37 AM

Whistler
    Ashley yadder
    Liar yadder
    Previous yadder
    Change the record you boring f@cker

• Whistler

Aug 5, 2018 at 9:51 AM

Jib @ 21
    All your response proves is that you’re a complete and utter imbecile who has nothing valid to say about the running or future of NUFC… I asked you for some facts and you couldn’t give any… why would you post such complete nonsense on here and portray yourself as such a clown? Do you not get enough attention at home or something? What an idiot…

• dig-n-dig22

Aug 5, 2018 at 11:18 AM

Tynmouth 11 I think your post is somewhat misleading especially the last 10 games, as soon as we were 100% mathematically safe, we were guilty of taking our foot off the gas and suffered defeats to Everton,West Brom,Watford, and Spurs.

• dig-n-dig22

Aug 5, 2018 at 11:24 AM

Whistler 22
    I know what is coming next, you’re a Mackem !