Captain Makes Plea To Hierarchy – Keep Rafa Happy – We All Love Him

Jamaal Lascelles has given a lengthy interview in the Shields Gazette today, and it was done before the players decided not to speak to the press.

They are in dispute once again with owner Mike Ashley about the bonuses for next season, and this is the second summer running it has happened with our miserly owner, who just doesn’t like to spend money.

We are hoping the issue can be sorted out – certainly before we play Spurs on Saturday at home to kick off the season.

Rafa Benitez and Jamaal Lascelles – after we beat Arsenal last season

Rafa Benitez will likely leave us if nothing changes at Newcastle and Mike Ashley is still the owner next summer.

He will not want to go through yet another painful transfer window when he gets no money to spend from the owner.

Currently with the window closing tomorrow we are making a profit of £26M and out most expensive player bought is less than £10M.

Rafa and the fans just don’t understand why no money has been made available for new players.

Jamaal wants the hierarchy to support Rafa in every way possible so he will stay long-term at Newcastle which now looks extremely doubtful.

This is what Jamaal has said:

“I can’t reiterate enough how important he is,”

“Since he’s been here – promotion, finishing 10th, everybody loves him, the players love him.”  “We’ve all got that same ambition and the same drive.”

“I don’t know what is holding the club back, but we all know what we want as a players and as staff, and, for me, I’d make him the happiest man here if possible.”

“When he came in, he changed it the way he wanted to. It might have taken him a while to really get across to the players exactly what he wanted us to do.”

“I know it did with me. “Some things defensively he wanted me to do differently to how I’d been taught before.”

“But, because he’s been here for two and a half years now, everybody knows exactly what he wants. “

“They do exactly what the gaffer says, he doesn’t really need to say too much now, because everybody works in the way he wants.”

“And, of course, we have players in training and on the pitch that will tell other players what to do, so we’ve got voices on the pitch as well.”

“The team we have, I don’t think you can really weaken the team that much,”

“You will have your starting XI, and that will probably go off form, it probably won’t go off talent.”

“Even if a player who isn’t as good on paper, if they are doing well, they will stay in the team. That’s what the gaffer does.”

Unless there is a change in the status quo, we just cannot see Rafa signing any new deal to stay long-term at Newcastle.

The best we can hope for is a change of ownership, but we cannot see that happening in the next year – Ashley is asking far too much for the club.

Mike Ashley is just hopeless as the Newcastle owner and should not be allowed to push Rafa the door – as he seems to be doing with his extreme penny-pinching

• Nostradamus the Geordie

Aug 8, 2018 at 8:39 AM

Nice one Jamaal but sadly its a waste of time, he ain’t going to change and that’s that. Looking at the books this transfer window and us making a sizable profit I am hoping that the reason behind it is he wants to really sell the club this year so not losing money makes the club more attractive to a buyer. We can only hope this is the case, another bullshit window like this one and we lose at least one manager and I would say 4 – 5 players that just want to leave and maybe follow Rafa to his now club.

• Geordie-john

Aug 8, 2018 at 8:50 AM

Do you honestly think he will listen to this ? ( Please don’t start with ” Oh yes he will ” remarks ) Mike Ashley only looks after number 1. Unless there is an angle for him to possibly make a couple of extra quid out of it then he might change his mind.
    I think that Rafa has really made his mind up already about contact renewal !

• SuperShearer

Aug 8, 2018 at 8:53 AM

Wow, no pleasing some people is there. It doesn’t matter if Fat Mike doesn’t listen to this, the point is it’s being said. Just like all the fans riling against him, and Rafa, and MPs, and now players it’s all weight behind the argument that he needs to b*gger off. It takes balls for a player to make some of these comments, hats of to the lad. It’s easy to forget how young he is.

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Aug 8, 2018 at 8:55 AM

Forgetting the wider issues for a moment – if we can get a deal done for Ings, Tagliafico and Jullien in the next 48 hours I would say that this, in context of what has been provided, would be a solid window.

Now back in the relative context of what we should be doing then of course it has been way way below par and has in basic effect destroyed any future this club has in the short to medium term.

• Munster Mag

Aug 8, 2018 at 8:56 AM

My guess on rondon plus 2 is looking ropey 🙁

• Mag52

Aug 8, 2018 at 8:58 AM

Geordie – John.

There’s nothing like a city centre traffic stopping demonstration/march to get a guy to ‘change his mind’.

• posada

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:08 AM

A couple of weeks back some were saying give up your season tickets. Or worse, by continuing with our support we were the problem and were failing to act.

I said keep your season tickets. If you want one and can afford it get it while you can.

The Spurs game is a near sell out. No tickets left in the Singers Corner, Gallowgate or East Stand. Odd single tickets in the SJH stand. Twenty or so tickets in each section in level 7.

I’ve been called over the last fortnight smug, arrogant, pompous and opinionated.
    Have to say I prefer Old BIg Head. At least it has a certain ring to it.

I think I do know are supporters very well.
    Die Hards.

• Moonraker15

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:10 AM

It might not make any difference whatever Jamaal says, but it’s better than not saying anything and Ashley must know that when Rafa goes we will struggle.
    Well said JL lad you do us proud!

• 9

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:16 AM

Jamaal is some hombre, and I hope he is able to keep his form in this, his final season at NUFC. Considering his age (= youth) he’s got some strength of personality, which England will soon start to benefit from (if the waistcoat has any sense). Unfortunately, as posters have already pointed out, it’s all water off a duck’s back to another chap who has a strong personality. I still find it hard to believe there isn’t somebody out there (even if misguided) who can see the potential of buying NUFC, even on MA’s terms which are bound to be around 150% of true worth. Plenty of other outfits have been sold for similarly over-inflated sums, MUFC being uppermost in my mind (have you seen what fantastic wealth the Glazers have accumulated by buying them at way over fair value?). Ah well.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:22 AM

Benitez and Lascalles together with some proper backing could lift trophies for the Toon !

Sadly I can see Ashley looking to cash in on Jamal in January when the top 4 get jittery for new centre halfs

• posada

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:22 AM

Oh, and it’s live on Sky with a crappy 12.30pm KO, which is great for a neutral TV watcher.
    Not so good for those actually going to the match.

• Optimistic Panda

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:24 AM

Newcastle fans are die hards…

Wow, really, good job Ashley doesn’t know that!

• AncientC

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:26 AM

9, I think you need a few more parenthesis in that extended paragraph.

• Jib

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:26 AM

I’ve been talking to a super whiz computer/internet
    expert acquaintance of mine.
    A real eye opener
    Knowing what a ruthless twat Ashley is I certainly
    would not be mucking around online.
    The stuff that can be done makes
    Will Smith and Gene Hackman in Enemy of the State
    look medieval.
    Some poor sod is going to end up with their accounts stripped
    and credit cards up to the limit and a garage full of trainers.

• Rotonda heights

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:28 AM

Posada,

I think people were suggesting a couple of half empty stadiums in front of the sky cameras for 2 games maximum.

No it won’t hit Ashley that much financially but would send an incredible message that would be priceless. But hey if people are too selfish to forsake even 1 or 2 games that could massively impact the future direction of the club they really have no room to complain that the status quo of ashley inflicted misery is continued for the forseeable.

People could meet their mates and watch the game in a pub just for one day. Quite funny seeing Jib get those figures hopelessly wrong again last night. #IRGWG up to 16000 followers now.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:28 AM

I don’t agree that mass boycotts are good for the club but I just think if all the fans for one game that was televised didn’t come in for the first five minutes of a game it would show the world what is going on and make a huge statement!

The only time any such protests have been done Ashley done an interview and Carr got 80 odd million to spend on players he picked (not Mclaren as people wrongly point out)

• barkel

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:34 AM

The downside to a mass protest is the team needs the noise in SJP. If I was able to I personally think not entering the stadium on mass until after kick off as Lee Charnley Bunga Party has said would be the best option

• posada

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:34 AM

Bladey

Aug 7, 2018 at 9:15 PM

Anybody asking some of these Muppets on here not to go, forget it they would rather sell there granny down the river
    And I will tell you why it’s not loyalty it’s because most have boring little lives they literally live for match day when they can dress up in there light coloured jeans put on there matching brown brouges LOL and there nufc top meet there other cohorts,down there watered lager go to Greggs on the way to sjp
    Watch us get thrashed drown there sorrows go into there shell until the next home game and do it all again
    GET A LIFE GET ASH OUT AND GET YOUR CLUB BACK YOU SAD ACTS
    ASH OUT

***************

Bladey. You know us so well. How, do you have us under observations.
    That’s not you that sits in the doorway, just up from the Newcastle Labour Club, asking for change, is it ?
    If so you’re not getting owt off me this coming season.
    I might give your little dog a bit of my Greggs pastie, but that’s it.

• Rotonda heights

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:36 AM

Arsenal valued at 1.8 billion!

• Optimistic Panda

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:37 AM

Anyone read Rob Lee’s interview?

I like the last thing he says, he knows the fans!

“Despite all this unrest, the Geordies will never turn on Rafa or the team. That’s why Ashley can’t win this one.”

• bettyswallocks

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:38 AM

Jib……… @14. What sort of bollox is that? I know we tease you about being an Ashley shill but that post really makes you look like one.
    They can do f .all without someone’s full credit card details and I would hope no one is naieve enough to disclose them.

Why would you want to stop the disruption to SD . Very Suspicious .
    Let the lads carry on with the disruption ffs. and stop the scare mongering.

• AncientC

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:39 AM

9 is best avoided. Another dullard. I say that in the most friendly of terms. 9 makes Jib look like Cato the elder.

• DubaiMicky

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:40 AM

Their ratings are dropping, every little helps.

Oh and Jib, that’s fake news, no way will a vendor even consider doing that, firstly they would never get paid for them, secondly there is no check-out so no credit card details, thirdly there is no order, fourthly it’s total bollocks.

• DubaiMicky

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:41 AM

BREAKING: Newcastle and Lyon agree £15m fee for 19 year old Myzaine Maolida.

Anyone know any more about this?

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:42 AM

@Optimistic

This opening 10 fixtures we have are going to be the ultimate test for everyone concerned !

My worry is what if Rafa goes 5 or 6 defeats in a row in this period ?Could easily happen if every team plays to their maximum would Ashley look to use that as the excuse to get rid ?

• Optimistic Panda

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:42 AM

Jibs watched Mr Robot on Netflix and now thinks he’s in Anonymous.

• posada

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:43 AM

Rotonda
    Aye, some were saying that.
    Others, not just the likes of Bladey, several others were saying give up your season tickets.
    I got annoyed about that. Won’t keep on with it.
    All I would say is I don’t think they really understand our supporters or the situation.
    Many on the Direct debit scheme have already paid 5/6 payments towards next year.

That would be like me going into Sports Direct trying on a pair of £90 trainers, saying I don’t like them, but theres £50 for you anyway for trying them on.

An empty stadium for one game ? Difficult to organise and get full participation.
    OK idea in theory. Difficult in practice and would cause no end of grief among supporters.

• Ron Knee

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:44 AM

“The paradox is that Benítez’s success in defying the relegation a lesser coach might have presided over may prove Newcastle’s ultimate undoing. Liverpool’s Champions League-winning manager of 2005 has said he sometimes feels he gets “punished” for improving players and, in Mike Ashley, he is employed by an owner delighted to inflict such pain.” (Louise Taylor)

• AncientC

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:45 AM

Maybe Jib is friends with Gary McKinnon. You never know…

• Optimistic Panda

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:46 AM

Lee

As scary as the opening fixtures look I don’t think we’ll lose 5 or 6 in a row.

Last year with Lacelles out we went 9 games without a win, the fans stood by the team and Rafa and will do again.

I think Rafa would have to lose 10 in a row for Ashley to sack him and make it look credible, anything else will look like he’s forced the situation and used it as a excuse to get rid.

• Vask

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:49 AM

Right, an empty stadium might impact team performance and not effect mike too much. How about taking a load of sheets into the stadium on every home game with slogans like ‘JD sports’ and ‘Amazon sells sportswear too’ and hang them over all accessible SD advertising hordings. That way he stops getting away with free advertising.

Any thoughts?

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:50 AM

@Optimistic

Yeah I don’t think the fans would turn on Rafa or the players just worried about Ashley to be honest!

I mean he did it to Hughton who only lost a few games and there was lots of strong voiced players in the dressing room as well in steps Pardew “trouble makers” removed over 2 windows and what we now know as normal service resumed under Ashley

• 9

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:51 AM

As I fully expect 3 points on Saturday, I’m not convinced by the gloomy outlooks suggested above.

• cyprus

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:53 AM

Rafa has signed like 22 players for us, some of whom he’s moved on. Still, it is becoming more and more his team with his signings. I think we’ll do better than last year. Rondon will be a handful and the other signings will do fine feeding him and grabbing their share.

In back we were good, we will be solid.

MF was an issue, not as much now.

I expect one more transfer. A good one but out of nowhere (published) 😉

• Lovem or Hatem

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:54 AM

Now its the penultimate day of the transfer window, I feel we are not going to sign anyone else.

Personally,I hope we sign a LB, CB and then maybe an AMC.

• cyprus

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:55 AM

Me too. I’ve bet on a win. Hedged my bigger bet with another, a draw.

Money in the bank!

(I think)

• Jib

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:56 AM

bettyswallocks
    What sort of bollox is that?
    They can do f .all without someone’s full credit card details
    You sad man if you believe that.
    I’m not talking about SD staff but the folk they can call in.

How does it make me look like a shill you prick
    I’m telling folk to be careful is all

• Optimistic Panda

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:58 AM

Lee

Difference is no one really knew Hughton and he was easy to sweep under the carpet, it’s hard to think that theres anyone in professional football who wouldn’t know of Rafa.

For once Ashley may have bit off more than he can chew, he’s done it too himself. He’s appointed someone who has more respect and knowledge of football than he’s ever employed before. A man who when he speaks everyone listens. Rafas record speaks for itself as does Ashleys, there’s only one winner.

I think Rob Lee’s right this is a fight Ashley can’t win, I think Ashley knows it Rafa knows it parts of the media know it, it’s time for the fans to believe it and drive him out of the club!

• cyprus

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:59 AM

We needed Kenedy, check. A 9, check, twice. A 10, check, maybe. A couple other positions, check.

It was an ok transfer window, if you ignore net spend. Merino (injured, disappointed) and Mitro (Rafa didn’t like) offset that number in our favour.

Hope the money is sitting there waiting for new blood. Players’ bonuses can wait. Win us something, we’ll get you statues 🙂

• ctommo

Aug 8, 2018 at 10:00 AM

Bit harsh with the prick comment jib. No need for that