Upbeat Rafa – I Am Really Calm Now – I Want To Stay – I’m Happy With My Team

Rafa Benitez has given his press conference and he was surprisingly upbeat and said now that the transfer window was finished he was calm.

Rafa wants the same support from the fans that we had last season and he says now is the time to concentrate on the football with the Tottenham game tomorrow.

The manager still wants to do well this season and he seems to have put the frustrating transfer window behind him – much as he did last year around this time.

He talked about Fernandez being a very good signing and he knows him from his time at Napoli five years ago.

Rafa Benitez – at a previous press conference

This is some of what Rafa said at the beginning of his press conference:

“I have to do the best for my players. We have finished the transfer window, so now I must focus on Spurs which will is a very difficult game.”

“I am really calm now as the window is finished. It is the time to do what we did last year: togetherness with fans behind us.”

“I’m sure fans will think: ‘Oh Rafa is angry.’ But I try to improve my team during the window, but that is over. Could it be better? Yes, always it could be better.”

“But I am happy with my team, I believe the spirit is there with my players to have another good season.”

“Today is the day is that we have to concentrate on football. I want to talk about Spurs because we must be ready mentally without distractions from things off the pitch.”

“We are better now than we were at the start of the week. Fernandez is a good signing because we needed someone.”

“Rondon too. I am confident we can do well & can succeed. We did some of the stuff we had to do.”

“I will try to do my best every day. I want to stay, but now is not the time to talk. We have to focus on football.”

“If we need to talk about an extension, we can do at some point. But I am focused on the team and finishing as high up the table as possible.”

“I know it’s been a difficult summer but the reality is that we have a team that did well and we are ready for the Premier League.”

“I can see the promoted teams have spent money but we have a good team – even if we didn’t pay big money for Rondon, Muto or Kenedy they’re good players.”

“Our target first has to be to survive because we did so well last year.”

“The reality is that if we do what we did last year with commitment and togetherness, we can be a lot higher than 17th.”

“How high? I don’t know yet.”

That’s a positive Rafa Benitez and while he pushed and pushed in the summer to get more and better players in, the players he has brought in are very good.

For around £22M getting those seven players in was simply brilliant (average £3M/player) and their characters are what Rafa really likes in players – professional, hardworking, team players, and ambitious.

Did I ever say that Rafa is the perfect manager for Newcastle?

🙂

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Tottenham?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• NUFCadon

Aug 10, 2018 at 1:58 PM

Model professional as always

• AncientC

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:02 PM

Into the third year of his project, and after finishing 10th, Benitez has to speak about the priority this season being survival. How deflating.

The side was only a good striker away from being somewhere in the top 8 last season. Instead of kicking on the reset button has been pressed.

• Optimistic Panda

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:02 PM

He wants to stay Mike!

Got that, don’t force him out you fat fcuk

• RobLeenio

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:04 PM

“We did some of the stuff we had to do.”

Telling….

“Our target first has to be to survive because we did so well last year. The reality is that if we do what we did last year with commitment & togetherness, we can be a lot higher than 17th. How high? I don’t know yet.”

Target no 1 – survival, then we push on just like last season. Hopefully we have survival confirmed a little sooner and the team have something else to fight for unlike last season, so they keep playing to the end.

• AncientC

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:04 PM

If everybody was fit, I would have only expected to see only 1 new player against Tottenham, and that would be Rondon.

• Jib

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:05 PM

The top 2 places , I feel , will be fought out on
    Merseyside this term , rather than Mancashire

• c-dog

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:06 PM

He wants to stay. Ashley forcing him out

• RobLeenio

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:07 PM

Ancient C, he didn’t say the priority is survival, he said his first target is survival. The former means he’s not looking beyond survival, the latter means it’s the first of a number of targets.

How you and I read the same thing and get two totally different messages from it is beyond me.

• c-dog

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:08 PM

@Roblen just back after the window closes. What’s your other profile lad? Nicky the ball tosser? Or another one of the Ashleylovers

• Tinman

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:11 PM

This is a great relief. Rafa is a saint putting up with this shiiiit. Confident we will stay up now.

We’ve got a hard start on paper but in reality it is the perfect start as we can catch some of these big teams cold with half their players having not trained.

Feeling optimistic now. Just need Fat Mike out next.

• AncientC

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:11 PM

Robleenio, and the first target isn’t the priority until it’s been met? I hope you don’t need a crash course in semantics.

• Jib

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:12 PM

21 hours 44 minutes to KO

• Toon&oot

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:13 PM

Totally agree NUFCadon you wouldn’t expect anything else. Deep down it might be a different matter. If only senior ‘overweight’ officials at NUFC could show the same honesty, integraty, committment and professionalism as Rafa we wouldnt have a problem.

• RobLeenio

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:17 PM

Ancient C, nah – that’s not semantics, that’s a deliberate misquote to support an agenda. There’s a difference.

Rafa’s being upbeat, that’s a good thing. You’re trying to turn it into a negative, that’s a bad thing.

I’m delighted he’s dropping hints about staying, we now need the fat man to make it happen.

• Mister Tuff

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:17 PM

On Sky News – Mr Tubbs wants to transform HoF into “the Harrods of the High Street”.

What a joke.

• Dragon64

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:20 PM

fat twat talks a load of shit.

• toon22

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:22 PM

Like anyone still believes a word MA says lol

Wonder what the FA thinks about him funding his shops to the detriment of football ?

• BeeGuy

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:23 PM

At the end of the window, it is a better roster. I expect Charnley is catching hell for not selling off more of the secondliners. That criticism being buffered by the profit on outgoings.
    THis club will be competitive, and it is just luck and injuries that determine how high or low it finishes.

• AncientC

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:24 PM

Robleenio, my post is not a misquote as I didn’t use quotation marks.

Like I claimed in the rest of my post, the reset button has been pressed—similar aims as last season. It is a scenario of survival being the first aim/priority, and then who knows, but let’s get survival done first.

I would have expected much more ambitious language coming from Benitez had he been given every penny as was promised. The window is shut now and Benitez is being professional and getting on with his job, but it’s quite clear Benitez sees Ashley’s ambitions representing little more than survival.

• AncientC

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:26 PM

I am happy to be seen as having an agenda btw. I do have an agenda. I want the club to live up to its potential.

• RobLeenio

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:28 PM

AncientC “I do have an agenda. I want the club to live up to its potential.”

That’s an agenda we can all get behind, for definite

• Jib

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:37 PM

Mr Tuff/toon22/dragon64
    I don’t believe Mr Ashley was aiming his
    remarks at
    RetardsareUs

• lesh

Aug 10, 2018 at 3:35 PM

sing in the corner

New posters or old with new names? The ‘window’s been ok’ brigade are singing the song as scripted by Bullshit Bishop and are probably made up of new recruits to the Bishop PR gang.or some of the other cheerleaders we’ve seen of late – some of whom’ll claim to be ‘optimists’ and of course there remain the usual troublesome ones led of course by the pro-Ashly regime gangmaster – Jib.

Some of those people who claim to be supporters of NUFC are a disgrace and should be ashamed of themselves.

Let’s just hope that Rafa’s strong enough to have withstood the shit that’s been shovelled on him by Ashley, Barnes and Bishop. I’ve not included Charnley in with that evil trio – he’s there to do as he’s told.

Bishop’ll be at the match and it might be useful for fans to recognise his presence with a warm welcome but in any event, the roof of SJP should be raised with the sound of 50000 fans giving Rafa (who’s been a hero) the loudest and sincerest praise he deserves when he emerges out of the tunnel.

And let’s not forget to let Ashley and Barnes know how much they’re adored before the lads come out and after the final whistle! It’s got to be clear that Rafa and the lads have our total and unqualified support when they’re on the pitch.

• Just a fan

Aug 10, 2018 at 3:57 PM

A bit optimistic saying the title will be fought on Merseyside.its been a long time since Everton were in the top four and personally I don’t think they are much better than us

• Moonraker15

Aug 10, 2018 at 4:14 PM

“Harrods of the High Street” my arse! They don’t sell cheap tat in Harrods Ashley you tosser! Haha

• Moonraker15

Aug 10, 2018 at 4:16 PM

Jib
    If Everton finish in the top two I’ll flash my arse in a House of Fraser window!
    They won’t be in the top 4 even!

• mikeashleyisamackem

Aug 10, 2018 at 9:09 PM

Rafa must be pissed chipped or paid off
    Joke if ya ask me
    One day he is causing mayhem with his comments the next he has defended
    Tis poor window
    We for me look worse than last year