Yet Another Pundit Predicts Relegation For Newcastle

BBC Chief Sports writer Phil McNulty thinks that Newcastle will not have enough to stay in the Premier League this season and predicts we will be relegated in 18th position.

The only two clubs below us are Watford and rock-bottom (newly promoted) Cardiff City.

He’s the second pundit we know of who has predicted relegation for Newcastle with Sky Sports Soccer Saturday pundit Charlie Nicholas also thinking we will be relegated.

Rafa Benitez – Newcastle manager

McNulty has looked at each Premier League club and this is what he has said about Newcastle:

“The only thing you can predict about Newcastle United is that a crisis is always just around the corner – and this is why I fear the worst for them this season.”

“Manager Rafael Benitez and owner Mike Ashley are at odds once more and the Spaniard, no stranger to the game’s political maneuverings, has made his discontent clear while retaining the support of the Toon Army.”

“If Benitez stays and can be kept reasonably happy (a big if that one) then there is reason to suspect Newcastle can stay up – if he doesn’t then there may be serious consequences.”

“alomon Rondon is a decent signing as a striker but he is not prolific and will carry a huge weight of responsibility.”

“As ever Newcastle’s vast following deserve better.”

Here’s his predicted league positions with 11th and lower in the right-hand column.

1	  Manchester City	11	 Fulham
2	  Liverpool	        12	 Burnley
3	  Manchester United	13	 Crystal Palace
4	  Tottenham	        14	 Bournemouth
5	  Chelsea	        15	 Brighton
6	  Arsenal	        16	 Southampton
7	  Wolves	        17	 Huddersfield
8	  Everton	        18	 Newcastle
9	  West Ham	        19	 Watford
10	  Leicester	        20	 Cardiff

I’m hoping we can still survive this season and not be in yet another relegation scrap.

Its a pity they don’t show their predictions from last year when a number of pundits had us being relegated and we finished in the top half in 10th place.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Tottenham?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• DubaiMicky

Aug 10, 2018 at 1:22 PM

10 minutes to Rafa’s Press Conference – stage managed by Bishop of course.

• jezza442

Aug 10, 2018 at 1:29 PM

How much interest do you get with £150m sat in the bank,if he pays the loan back to himself he won’t get the interest so I can’t see that being played off in a hurry,and I don’t think that money will pay for hof he doesn’t need to the free advertising for 11 years has more than played for that,so yes the club in a round about way has played for the sport direct empire to grow.

• toon kk

Aug 10, 2018 at 1:29 PM

I wonder if Ash will sell the naming rights of H of F!!!!

• Ron Knee

Aug 10, 2018 at 1:33 PM

Fernandez: “I am in the best moment (of my career) at 29. “I have a lot of experience and ability. “I will try to improve the team here. “I can see already the team spirit is very good here. “We start with a big game at home vs Tottenham.” #nufc

• jezza442

Aug 10, 2018 at 1:33 PM

Meant to say paid for,but has been played!to grow the sd empire seems to fit better lol

• Toon fm Exeter

Aug 10, 2018 at 1:36 PM

Martoon
    14th
    4th round
    4th round
    Dubravka
    Perez

Was hoping for a lot more this season but can see it being a long hard struggle.
    Ashley out

• sing in the corner

Aug 10, 2018 at 1:37 PM

Don’t get me wrong, it’s great to see so many ‘new’ posters coming on to the blog,( or the old ‘long time readers who rarely post’)…all of a sudden.
    But I have to say it seems a little suspect..on the eve of a protest and our first home game, that we are being saturated with the message that the window has been ok and we are somehow good to go.

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion, but some people predicting 5th to 7th place finishes this season are stretching optimism into pure fantasy, surely?
    Having said that, usually I would say this is an excellent time to play Spurs. They were strong last season but there is a big cloud hanging over them now, even bigger than the one over us. And they are missing some apparently shagged oot first teamers.

0.0 is my guess.

• lochinvar

Aug 10, 2018 at 1:44 PM

Phil McNulty – what does he know ?
    We’re in a better position that most clubs below the top six for a host of reasons.
    Experienced squad
    Team familiarity
    New faces with PL experience and guile
    52,345 fans at SJP
    Rafa
    Lascalles leading the team

Many other clubs more fragile
    Multiple egos at various clubs and less competent Managers than Rafa

Pundits – they just talk themselves into jobs and then talk more to keep themselves in jobs. Being contentious is their game. Rarely will they or can they justify their statements.

• lochinvar

Aug 10, 2018 at 1:47 PM

Rafa at press conference – now

“I am really calm now as the window is finished.
    It is the time to do what we did last year: togetherness with fans behind us.”

That’s the way to do it

Togetherness ( except for the owner )

• The next Mike Williamson

Aug 10, 2018 at 1:48 PM

Not chance we’ll go down. 7 decent low-risk players coming in to the first 11, 2 going out. We are undeniably a bit better than last year and we have a squad of fighters and no extra baggage ruining the morale. teams like everton have too many unhappy players floating about, and teams like fulham and west ham have took a lot of expensive risks. those players arent worth what they paid, and ours are worth more. west ham have been buying cack players for a while and it will be the same DoF or chairman picking the players as it has been for a while. they’ll be bottom 6, burnley 100% going down with cardiff. did southampton finally sign a goalscorer? if not they are down too. watford will struggle too, depending who their next manager is when they inevitably sack the current one.

• jezza442

Aug 10, 2018 at 1:50 PM

On the window, well it a hard one for me,I agree with both sets of fans.if you ignore the money side it’s been great ,we seem to have brought in some really good players for undeliverable prices all are probably worth quite a bit more than what we paid. But as usual a big chance missed to really improve and push up the table and the most frustrating part of it all is that even Ashley said the money was there and he was playing hardball with the gaffer and it would have probably not been that much more money than they brought in.
    Overall I think the sky pundits as usual are way off the mark,I think we’ll be fine the new players will fit in well and we will progress slightly even if we drop a couple of places but look more solid that’s still slight progression in my eyes and I for one will enjoy every minute off the season like every year HWTL.
    PS fans with season tickets ,go to every game possible and give Rafa and the boys and extra shout from me,if i could afford one wild horses wouldn’t keep me away,and a tyrannical owner never would.

• Lovem or Hatem

Aug 10, 2018 at 1:51 PM

I am with Lochinvar – screw to owner but get behind the team and Rafa during the games

• Lovem or Hatem

Aug 10, 2018 at 1:51 PM

* the

• lochinvar

Aug 10, 2018 at 1:53 PM

Rafa
    “I will try to do my best every day. I want to stay, but now is not the time to talk. We have to focus on football. If we need to talk about an extension, we can do at some point. But I am focused on the team & finishing as high up the table as possible “

• The next Mike Williamson

Aug 10, 2018 at 1:53 PM

My ratings
    Ashley’s spend 1/10 (if he’s took 75m off the loan then this window is a remarkable success and a 10/10)
    Squad Improvement 7/10 (could have done with fullback cover)
    1st Team Improvement 6/10
    Getting good prices/ deals 10/10 so well done to Charley or Benitez or whoever got the deals
    Speed of negotiating 3/10

Best signing – Muto

• RobLeenio

Aug 10, 2018 at 1:58 PM

jezza442 agreed, last season was about survival, this season is about consolidation. The signings we have made have been good and have been Rafa choices, which is key. He feels he can work with them to make them valuable to the team.

The frustration for me is that we still have holes in the squad with players Rafa identified to fill them and the money to do it, yet Rafa was seemingly blocked in his efforts.

• Nufc 4ever

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:03 PM

Wass it a good window NO .There was enough money there to really step up the players brought in not great. But could of been loads better with 2 purples as fat mans croonies like to say. Talk about rubbing our noses in it £ 90 million the day after deadline day. This is the man who said all his capital was tied up in sd another lie what a surise please do one asap