Newcastle Fans Take To Twitter – Positive Reaction To Display – Unlucky To Lose

Newcastle fans were generally positive to the display by Newcastle today when we hit the woodwork twice in the second half and after being 2-1 down at halftime.

And we just couldn’t get that equalizer – which we really deserved.

But this is the first game of the season and we’ll get better and Rafa will have the new players more integrated before our game next Saturday at Cardiff City.

It was a very decent start and when you looked at the bench today we have to have a better squad than last season – how much better – we don’t know.

Rafa Benitez on the touchline today

Gutsy performances from our lads today.

Here are some tweets from the fans.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Spurs?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• catchy in norway

Aug 11, 2018 at 3:41 PM

Rowan

IMO Rafa did not test spurs CBs which was there weakest area on the pitch, due to the fact they had only trained a week.

• Nufc-83

Aug 11, 2018 at 3:46 PM

So so impressed with the movement of Muto. We have lacked someone running the channels so well since the days of Bellamy! Rondon will Do a good job I believe. Interested to see a Ki shelvey partnership as Ki will provide much better forward passing than Diame.

Defence is a big worry though hope Fernandez or Schar can do the business.

• Markaccus

Aug 11, 2018 at 3:51 PM

I reckon Joselu will still start next week. Rondon probably will still not be quite ready to start. Muto might start though.

• Rowan

Aug 11, 2018 at 3:56 PM

Catchy,

Now now, no need to be narky!

Erm not sure how you could construe my post as a misquote of what you said – I literally copied & pasted your comment and responded to it!

Yeah, I did call them. But I can’t prove it, you don’t believe me and I shan’t lose any sleep over it. Hmm, not posting on the blog ’cause you’re watching a match and chatting to a mate isn’t exactly the same as knowing the lottery results and not playing though, is it..? Not a great analogy.

My point regarding their CBs is simply that Vertongen is a beast and played amazingly – as ever. It’s hard to ‘test’ them when they play a bullish 5-man midfield and you have the limitations we do. We hit the woodwork twice and were unlucky not to score a second.

• 9

Aug 11, 2018 at 4:04 PM

Thinking abut the utterly ridiculous sums of money being spunked in the EPL, I actually feel grateful our owner has his feet on the ground. £66m fora keeper; £71m for a keeper – just where does this money come from? How can it possibly not be money thrown away?

I totally understand posters on here are, like me NUFC football fans, so we enjoy football and want our team to do well (and so I know I’ll be crucified on here) but doesn’t it strike anybody else that these sums are insane. A small example: it was reported yesterday that that nice man Mr Mourinho was miffed that his bid of £100m for a centre half was unsuccessful. On the same day it was reported that our owner had bought the entire House of Fraser, lock, stock and barrel for £90m. Something, somewhere, doesn’t add up. OK, fire away.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Aug 11, 2018 at 4:16 PM

Just got in from match
    my thoughts
    Started off slowly as if a friendly gave the Spuds to much space and respect first twenty minutes and paid for it with some sloppy play.
    Once we got up to speed much more even game and should of got a point with a bit of luck and better finishing.
    Biggest miss today was LeJuene with his composure at the back and without him Dubravka’s distribution was hesitant to say the least
    Here goes my merit marks.
    Dubravka 6 – Unlucky with first goal but not the keeper I remember first game against Man Utd – very unsure about coming for and commanding the six yard box. should NEVER, NEVER stand on the line and leave a floated cross come into the back of the six yard box. Should come and caught or punched the ball man and all. distribution was hesitant but kept us in the game second half with two reflex saves.
    Yedlin 5 – All at sea today lost his marker time and time again – looked hesitant going forward unlike him
    Clark 6 – Did Ok but poor on the ball – did not really want it and at times him and Lascalles were arguing over positioning
    Lascalles 7 – pick of our defenders kept Kane in his pocket kept urging and organising a ‘rusty’ defence
    Dummett 6 – Does what he does best defend but wanted to many touches on the ball
    Ritchie 8 – My Man of the Match – involved in everything in attack and defence great ball for Joselu’s goal
    Kenedy 7- Poor first twenty minutes but grew into the game seemed to be swapped to play a more central role, and was the main driving force in our midfield – would of been my MOM but for his slow start and missed a golden opportunity to equalise
    Diame 6 – Looked way off the pace most of the game – got better as the game went on and tad unlucky when hitting the post
    Shelvey 7 – Decent game but to many passes went astray and back to his niggly self giving away silly fouls and free kicks
    Perez 3 – for putting the shirt on – sadly waste of space today – game passed him buy should of been subbed a lot earlier.
    Joselu 7 – Best game in a Toon shirt scored a good goal – ploughed a loan furrow up front but stuck to his task and superb through ball (I think it was him) for Kenedy who should of done better

Subs
    Atsu 3 – poor looked out of his depth or did not know where he was meant to play
    Rondon 5 – Did Ok – unlucky not to score – but looks a bit slow and ponderous at the minute – if we can get him fitter then he will be handful.
    Muta 7 – I know he was not on long but his running the channels and across the oppositions back line was superb – years since we have had someone to run the channels – looks a great addition.

Rafa – 6 – Yes I would of started the same team – but I thought his substitutions were poor
    Maybe
    Should of kept Ritchie on and taken off Diame for Ki
    subbed Perez for Muta earlier
    Joselu for Rondon fair enough

Ref 4 – let the spuds away with murder – two bookings niggled tripped all game

Crowd in full song early but as the game dragged on you could here a pin drop – behind the team and RAFA all game

All in we got beat but the last hour we looked a half decent team – be OK if we play like that
    Play the way we did first twenty minutes – going to be a long hard slog

• 9

Aug 11, 2018 at 4:33 PM

Has anybody worked out why Rafa took Ritchie off? It was baffling at the time, and Rafa has no history of doing such,and Atsu has never been a compelling performer. Baffled!

• giimps

Aug 12, 2018 at 7:08 AM

Probably cos he was on a yellow and didn’t want to risk him getting another