Rafa Benitez – We Deserved More – Players Reacted Well

Rafa was quite pleased the way Newcastle came right back into this game after being 1-0 down after only 8 minutes and 2-1 down after 18 minutes.

But after that Newcastle looked a much better side and we were a little unlucky get an eqailzier in the second half when both Diame and Rondon his the woodwork and Kenedy missed a golden opportunity when he was clean through.

And Spurs played some of their top stars in Kane, Alli, Eriksen, and Lloris and they looked what they are – a very good team.

And Kane had the cheek to play the whole game – but he didn’t score.

🙂

But Rafa seemed pleased after the game and says the new players will now have more time to understand the plays with a week’s training ahead before our game at Cardiff City

Salomon Rondon – will be a good player for us

This is what Rafa has said as reported in the Chronicle:

“I think we deserved more. The team worked hard against a very good side. We conceded and reacted well, and then went a goal behind again and showed good fight.

“We had to give something to the players that have been training for one month so it was the right thing to do.”

“Now we have more time, and everybody has to fight for their place. You cannot complain about Joselu’s work rate, and he got a goal which helped the team.”

“We tried to change something and then we had a chance when Rondon hit the crossbar, but you can see the new players will need some time to settle and understand their teammates.”

“It’s too early to know about Yedlin – we have wait for the doctor to assess and decide. He has a little problem with the knee but we need to wait.”

It was a good performance today after what we thought was a bit of a shaky start – and it augers well for the future.

We need a win at Cardiff next weekend – and it’s the early KO game again next Saturday.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Spurs?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• catchy in norway

Aug 11, 2018 at 3:22 PM

gave my mom to Ritchie, unfairly subbed and was on par with Kennedy up until them

• c-dog

Aug 11, 2018 at 3:23 PM

Went with Ritchie. Suspect defending early in the game but settled down. Good performance overall and unlucky not to get more.

• Pearl Geordie

Aug 11, 2018 at 3:26 PM

Rafa made a mistake with Ritche how he substituted our best player. I don’t get it.

Joselu I am very happy he can be a dependable back up.

Perez has competition for the first time.

Very Good team. In Lasceles I trust

• crawfordm

Aug 11, 2018 at 3:27 PM

Happy with a good performance and refreshing to see some decent players on the bench. Would defo change Muto for Perez, Dummett im afraid to say is a weak link with no competition.

• SPRINGY

Aug 11, 2018 at 3:29 PM

I gave my mom to ritchie,thought he was at fault for deles goal as he let him run off him but he was fantastic the rest of the game, could understand rafa subbing ritchie to a degree as we will need him against cardiff next week and it is early in the season and he absolutely ran his arse off all game and he got knackered theres a chance of a injury….have to say atsu was wasn’t good..needs to improve next time out,tbought dubravkas kicking was poor at times we seem to play it to him a lot…thought rondon and muto made decent debuts kennedy,shelvey and lascelles looked sharp,diame looked a little leggy…but early days for all,more positives today then negatives for me….onwards we go.

• Pearl Geordie

Aug 11, 2018 at 3:29 PM

Ritche. Man of the Match

• Rowan

Aug 11, 2018 at 3:29 PM

From previous previous (bloomin’ ‘ell, Ed):

‘every post i read on here about subs
    not one had Ritchie coming off or Atsu coming on.’

‘Rafa got many things wrong in this game’

I called all our subs correctly and would have done the same – didn’t list them here as I was watching the game with a mate and didn’t want to be on my phone. Atsu was pretty poor but I totally understand why the sub was made. For all his good early endevours, Ritchie was fading at the time he went off imo. I have seen that many times with him – I like him, don’t get me wrong, but he has a habit of fading out of games.

We were unlucky today and deserved a draw – very competent 2nd half showing – not sure how that equates to ‘many mistakes’ being made by Rafa.

‘Cbs their weakest area’ – hmm, Vertongen… weak… bit of an oxymoron there.

I think there are a great deal of positives after a good second half performance, where we warranted a draw. Some sloppy defending for both their goals but it is the first competitive game of the season. Spurs’ defending for Hoss’s goal was also very poor.

Biggest negative – lack of depth in certain areas highlighted, especially in full back positions. This is the price of a thrifty approach to the transfer window. But we knew that anyway.

Positives – Shelvey played very well, Rondon nearly scored, Muto looked lively, Lascelles was excellent and Dubs made some good saves (though I feel he should have gone out and claimed the ball for the second goal).

Really hope Yed’s injury isn’t too bad, or it’s Manquillo-away…

• catchy in norway

Aug 11, 2018 at 3:30 PM

crawford

didnt Rafa just buy a left back from swansea

• crawfordm

Aug 11, 2018 at 3:34 PM

No Catchy the Argentine is a Centre Back. I was just speculating how we could cope without Yedlin. I know Clarke can play left back as well.

• Pearl Geordie

Aug 11, 2018 at 3:35 PM

Dummett has no competition but he is dependable.

Dubs, Yedlin, Lasceles, Daime, Kennedy have no competition too. They will just walk in that team.

• Lindisfarne

Aug 11, 2018 at 3:38 PM

Only one team out there was competing, our lack of quality was abundantly clear.
    #where is the money mikey?

• catchy in norway

Aug 11, 2018 at 3:38 PM

Rowan

quote me correctly please,

and wow. I called all our subs correctly and would have done the same – didn’t list them here as I was watching the game with a mate and didn’t want to be on my phone.

precious, you couldnt make it up..

those Euro jackpot numbers on friday, i called them, but hey, i couldn’t be bothered to put them on

• Paul141726

Aug 11, 2018 at 3:40 PM

My mom also Ritchie. Like the fact that he was a bit pi$$ed when he came off. Wants to give his all for the shirt!