Scouts Looking For New Players For January – Rafa Non-Committal On New Contract

Benitez was extremely diplomatic in yesterdays press conference and was asked several times about his contract situation, but he said the time was not to talk about that.

He stressed that now was the time to focus on football and there will be time later to talk about a new contract – if that is necessarButem>

But he also said several times that he was happy at Newcastle – and that was the good news.

That’s even after four successive and rather brutal transfer windows, where he doesn’t seem to have been supported financially by Mike Ashley.

Rafa Benitez – happy at the end of last season

But we have got seven good, experienced players through the door and we have a better team now than last year.

But Rafa wanted much more of course.

This is some of what Rafa said yesterday starting with the scouting for January:

“It is my responsibility to make sure we move forward and we focus on football but that does not mean I will not have conversations with Lee,”

“When a window is finished you start working on the next one. The scouts were doing a great job, they have some days to relax then they must start working again, thinking about the next window.”

“I talk with Lee every day so it is no problem to have to speak to Ashley.”

“It is not the right time to talk about that (new contract). I am happy here,”

“I want to be sure that we can compete. We start the Premier League on Saturday. That is it.”

“It is very clear we have to do things in a way that we have to do things.”

“It will be easy for everyone to achieve what we want to achieve on the pitch and outside the pitch.”

‘I have some experience, I have to try to do my best.”

“But you have to focus on football. The fans were expecting Rafa to be upset and fight, but my message is very clear.”

“My responsibility is to be sure we have no excuses not to perform on the pitch. We have finished the transfer window, so now we have to bring the best from our players.”

“I have to concentrate on that.”

“We have time to do things and I don’t need to explain at every Press conference that we [the hierarchy and myself] have talked (about hos contract).”

“We know now is the time to relax a little bit and concentrate on the games. Then we have plenty of time to talk about that.”

“Just let me enjoy the game against Tottenham.”

The longer this season goes without Rafa signing a new contract, the more likely it will be that he will become a free agent in the summer.

Some big, ambitious club in England will come in and offer him what he wants – but it’s unlikely to be one of the top six clubs.

We will finish by saying the obvious – that we hope Rafa signs a new deal as soon as possible.

But we doubt that will happen.

🙁

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Tottenham?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• crawfordm

Aug 11, 2018 at 9:39 AM

Pathetic from Ed and pathetic from the Chronicle who ran this earlier. A window has just closed with millions available to spend and we bargain hunted. Now we are looking for January signings.
    PATHETIC headline.
    Today is the beginning of the new adventure – there will be highs and lows but lets hope the 50000 fans at home and the 2500 away fans show everyone what this area is – a football obsessed environment.

• posada

Aug 11, 2018 at 9:43 AM

hibbit

Aug 11, 2018 at 9:23 AM

posada
    that figure for a forensic due diligence is correct for a company the size of nufc
    the time scale was approximate but would be close
    ************
    Who told you that my friend. Remember you were told a lot of things that were not true.
    How long does it take to do due diligence on a company the size of HoF then.
    Sold for 450M in 2014. 17,000 employees and pension fund obligations to go with it.

These things can be done very quickly if they want to.
    That gives me hope. You see if we were sold I think it would be quick and all sorted before we even heard a rumour. Not 3 months of curry nights ( staged ) and leaks.

• c-dog

Aug 11, 2018 at 9:49 AM

Awhhh Hibbit, he has you there lad

• SredniVashtar

Aug 11, 2018 at 9:49 AM

MATCHDAY
    I’m absolutely buzzing!!!!!!!!!!!
    After a transfer window of misery and pessimism I am suddenly wildly optimistic for the new season – the life of a toon fan, eh?
    I reckon we’ll thump spurs today – COME ON YOU BLACK AND WHITE ARMY!!!!
    Unlike last year, I am genuinely excited to see the new signings in action – I hope Rondon and Muto either start or get a decent run out.
    Two hours and 42 minutes until kick off – can’t wait!!!! Well I guess that’s only one hour and 42 minutes until the teams are out!
    I’m bursting with excitement!!!!! Come on lads let’s beat these cockneys!!!!!!!!!
    HAWAY THE LADS

• SredniVashtar

Aug 11, 2018 at 9:52 AM

Was just looking over the squad numbers and noticed Sterry has the number 25 – does that mean we’ll be seeing a fair bit of him this year? Has anyone seen him play for the u23s or out on loan – is he good enough ?
    Would love to see another home grown full back coming through although I hope he’s better at attacking than wor Paul

• Just a fan

Aug 11, 2018 at 9:54 AM

Looking forward to the match today.who knows which way it will go.People tell us to boycott matches don’t they realise how much we enjoy going hoping for that win that cheers us up.I enjoy the football not all the other stuff that goes on.

• Just a fan

Aug 11, 2018 at 9:58 AM

I’ve seen sterry play but it’s hard to judge players in the reserves.I used to think Bigi was outstanding but where is he now?

• Jib

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:01 AM

SredniVashtar
    Jamie Sterry is a RIGHT back

• jane

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:08 AM

i’m having a guess the team may be similar/the same as the one that started against Chelsea in the last match of last season obviously without Lejeune and Gayle.

1 they played brilliantly
    2 good starting point without much tinkering which introduces unknowns
    3 sends a good message to the players that were here already that they are still valued
    4 good staring point to build from and introduce new signings gradually

• Small World

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:11 AM

Jib #9

Even worse

SredniVashtar is a mackem :0)

“HAWAY THE LADS” ?

• davetoon

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:19 AM

I wish someone would make a giant banner with Mashleys head on it in black and white and LIAR in big red font underneath. Every penny generated my ar$e.

• Bobbybee

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:19 AM

Just a fan, you’re one of thousands mate. I’m one too. Football is my life. Don’t care about politics, just those eleven men in B&W strips. Glad the window’s shut and the football begins.
    Away to pick my mate up in Heaton and then on to SJP. This is what it’s all about. Howay The Lads. Enjoy the game wherever you are. COME ON NEWCASTLE!!!!?

• RobLeenio

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:23 AM

Jib good post earlier ‘re Joselu. I’ve said similar but far less eloquently

The lad is trusted by Rafa to do a job. Shearer he ain’t but if he plays he should have our support

That said I get the point on mockery vs abuse and thought the tunes posted were funny. I always tell the kids if someone mocks you they either respect you or fear you.

• Lindisfarne

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:24 AM

• jane

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:28 AM

we achieved our goal of staying up last season and Joselu played in 30 of 38 matches.

• Lindisfarne

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:30 AM

Today I hope to see Rondon fanning his face with the other arm outstretched, after scoring a goal or more. I take the point about sticking with the same team that finished least season as being very valid. But between Joselu and Rondon, I would the new #9 gets to start.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:30 AM

Going to be a strange month yes the transfer window has closed in this country
    But Europe is still open to end of the month – so teams especially the big boys could loose players to Europe

• Lindisfarne

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:31 AM

# ya get me

• Sir Braveheart

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:32 AM

Well the rollercoaster is leaving the station again, hope you’re all strapped in tightly.

This is the point I step off the blog again – much as I love being a toon fan for the sense of community and family it brings let’s be honest, when things don’t go well (and sometimes even when they do) the blog can get toxic..when Ed had to start posting in his news articles about people being respectful in the comments you know there’s an issue.

1 – 3 to Spurs today. Would love a different outcome but can’t see it. We’ll still be safe this season, 12th to 14th. I expect we’ll lose games against teams we should beat easily, and nick a few wins off the top 6 clubs. Same old Newcastle then.

I’ll see you all the other side.x

• dig-n-dig22

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:35 AM

Where will these scouts actually be looking? in the Vauxhall Conference?.

Ashley is seeking harmony through out the club, until shafting time comes round again in January.

• jane

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:35 AM

“12th to 14th”

we could have a much better season and finish 12th to 14th.

• Aces-of-Eights

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:36 AM

Erm jib I think the only motive is to get Ashley out

• jane

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:42 AM

“# ya get me”

Lindisfarne you are the funniest blogger. is Amanda still doing your ironing?

• JP...from The Rock

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:45 AM

Matchday at last! I’ve been longing for this. Even though the window has been painful i am slightly optimistic as the team is marginally stronger. Really want to see Rondon and/or Muto play today and see how they do.

Come on Newcastle let’s give Spurs hell!!

Howay The Lads!

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:46 AM

Has any other season ticket holder had a email from House of Fraser
    Coincidence or what??

• davetoon

Aug 11, 2018 at 11:03 AM

Is Ashley going to turn up for the first game of the season or is he going to hide away in London?

• TyneMouth

Aug 11, 2018 at 11:21 AM

…BENITEZ BINGO!

Game one, game on!

Let’s get this show on the road…

………………………….DUBRAVKA…

…LASCELLES…….. FERNANDEZ………DUMMETT..

……………………………DIAME…
    …………SHELVEY…………………KI SUNG-YEUNG…

..RITCHIE…………………………………………….KENEDY…
    …………………………PEREZ…

………………………………RONDON…

VIVA BENITEZ!……. HWTL…

• Mister Tuff

Aug 11, 2018 at 11:28 AM

Think Rafa will start Rondon – battering ram tactics perhaps – with Perez his strike partner. Muto to come on late second half.
    Difficult to call – first game -no idea who will appear for Spurs.
    Hope I’m wrong but might be 1 -2 to Spurs.

• Lindisfarne

Yed clarkey las dum
    Big mo jonjo
    Ritch perry ken
    The Jos

• davetoon

Aug 11, 2018 at 11:36 AM

Please tell me Joselu is not starting the first game? Is Rondon not ready to play?

• TyneMouth

Aug 11, 2018 at 12:29 PM

…’in spite of Mike Ashley’ (‘Ashley’ and ‘Spite’ are a natural combination)

In spite of Mike Ashley’s malicious financial agenda, Rafa has somehow managed to reinvigorate the squad.

The team that finished last season, culminating with a joyous finale in the match against Chelsea, and based on the last ten games of the season, placed NUFC amongst the top form teams of the league.

Last 10 games, 2017/18;

Played… 10
    Won…….. 5
    Drew……. 1
    Lost……… 4.

Goals for…………..13
    Goals against………5
    Goal difference… +8

Points….16 (from 10 games, 1.6 pts per game)

The squad for this new season will include all the starting players from the Chelsea game, which has to be considered a positive.

This year’s squad includes the two loan players from last season, Dubrovnik and Kenedy. There are also fine new signings, each one an improvement on the player they’ve replaced. The squad is undoubtedly improved both in skill levels, technical ability and experience. Bravo BENITEZ!

If the team maintains the form of last season, and carries that momentum into the new season, we should achieve seventh place in the league. ( lasts year’s final ten game form of 1,6 points per game is the equivalent of 60.8 points for a 38 game season.)

Based on last season’s table that places us just behind Arsenal, (63 points) but above Burnley, (54 points)

Game on! Viva BENITEZ! HWTL…