New Signing – This Is The Biggest Move Of My Career

Rondon has said in an interview today that Rafa Benitez first talked to him on the phone in June about moving to Newcastle, but it took over two months to get a deal agreed with West Brom to bring him here.

Rafa wanted to get him signed early in the summer, but Newcastle are so slow and pedantic with their transfer business that we finally got him to the club on loan just three days before the window closed.

Rafa wanted him signed permanently in June.

If he had been signed early, he would have been part of the Ireland training camp and would have played in our four friendly games – and been ready to go in the first game last weekend.

But no – Lee Charnley and company dragged it out for over two months and only managed a loan deal – but we paid a £2M loan fee and had Dwight Gayle go in the other direction.

We don’t know if Rafa will participate in another summer transfer window at Newcastle with his contract running out next June 30th.

Salomon Rondon – in action against Spurs

The Venezuelan striker was interviewed as reported in the Chronicle today:

“I first heard of the interest two months ago but negotiations were difficult. I was just waiting. When I gave the answer that I wanted to come here, I was expecting it to happen but it was difficult.”

“I remember the first call from Rafa I couldn’t believe it.” ‘Hello, this is who?!”. He told me they were interested in me and would I like to come.”

“Of course! It was a pleasure. I obviously know a lot about Rafa in the football world. It is a pleasure to work with him, to see his tactics, his ideas.”

“Yes, moving here permanently is my personal target. And the only way to do that, of course, is to score goals, train really, really hard to hold on to my place.”

“I feel lucky of course. The situation when West Brom went down was difficult and I am just really grateful to be back in the Premier League again.”

“Newcastle United all feels very big. Newcastle in the Premier League is famous.”

“I know all about the amazing South American players who have been here – Solano, Jonas Gutierrez, how really well they did here.”

“In my career, I have played in different leagues with different players and I know this is the biggest move of my career.”

“That is why I want to stay here permanently.”

“I know my stats and maybe they have not been really, really high but everyone knows that I was playing at West Brom.”

“In my first season there I scored 10 goals. Maybe that didn’t make everybody really happy, but it was also difficult.”

“If you are a striker, you want to score 15, 20 goals and it wasn’t like that, but I was happy anyway.”

“I like the pressure. But yes, I know all about the No 9. When I signed the contract here there was a big picture of all the top scorers – Alan Shearer at the top with 206.”

“So the pressure is big – it’s amazing to score 206 goals. But I want to make the fans proud by wearing this shirt like Alan Shearer did.”

“The goals he scored for the club and the hat-trick against Barcelona. That was big because in Venezuela, in fact, the whole of South America, everyone loves football.”

We learned today that West Brom have taken up their contract option of an extra year for Rondon so he will not be a free agent next summer.

That was something they had to do to protect themselves.

But we could have had Rondon for his relegation release clause of  £16.5M, but Mike Ashley was unwilling to pay the money.

That was strange and surprising.

No – it wasn’t.

Rondon seems a typical Rafa player – ambitious, good technically and a very hard worker in training and in games.

We will see him soon where he works his socks off for the team.

It looks like he will become a popular player on Tyneside – very popular if he starts scoring those goals for us.

Here’s hoping.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Cardiff?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Jib

Aug 17, 2018 at 6:33 PM

I have a feeling this guy and Yoshinori Muto
    are going to score a hatful between them

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 17, 2018 at 6:49 PM

Dave/hibbit,
    Sorry, my fault, nothing happened on Tuesday it was a typo for the other day, don’t know why it randomly chose that.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 17, 2018 at 6:54 PM

Hopefully it’s a hat big enough for your head Jibbers, might see them break the Beardsley/Cole PL record.

• Munster Mag

Aug 17, 2018 at 6:54 PM

Good man jib. My buddy Perez under pressure

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 17, 2018 at 6:58 PM

* a typo for after the way he behaved 🙄

• Mag52

Aug 17, 2018 at 7:07 PM

Ashley Out.

• Mag52

Aug 17, 2018 at 7:09 PM

My team for tomorrow:

Dubravka,
    Manquillo, Lascelles, Clark, Dummett.
    Shelvey, Diame,
    Ritchie, Perez, Kenedy,
    Joselu.

• Mag52

Aug 17, 2018 at 7:12 PM

Rondon and Muto to come on in the second half as well as Ki.
    I’ve gone for a draw, but I’ve a bit of a feeling of that we could nick a close fought win.

• Huw Turbervill

Aug 17, 2018 at 7:14 PM

Ancient Corbyn
    I am advised that you have applied for tickets for the National Village Cup final, at Lords on September 16.
    We have decided that we do not want you or your Momentum comrades to attend what promises to be an enjoyable event.
    Folkton and Flixton as well as Liphook and Ripsley have both endorsed this course of action.
    Please do not contact me at the Cricketer. Kindly Just stop!

• Jib

Aug 17, 2018 at 7:18 PM

Aye just stop

• Jib

Aug 17, 2018 at 7:19 PM

😡

• Jib

Aug 17, 2018 at 7:19 PM

😐

• DaveD1000

Aug 17, 2018 at 7:24 PM

Jail
    was gentle wind up of Hibbit bud all good

• Jib

Aug 17, 2018 at 7:32 PM

If anyone was bemused by Huw Turbervill’s ramblings
    (I was) this is what he was going on about

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 17, 2018 at 7:41 PM

Another copy and paste job. 🙂

Tomorrows attempt to outguess Rafa
    Dubravka
    Manquillo Lascelles Clark Dummett
    Ritchie Diame Shelvey Kennedy
    Perez
    Joselu

Jib sterling effort at time to KO last week well done.

16 Hours 50 minutes to KO.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 17, 2018 at 7:44 PM

Just a thought on the HOF buyout by Ashley, are or were the shops freeholds owned by them.

If so he’s got himself some nice development sites.

• Jib

Aug 17, 2018 at 7:50 PM

Nearly all (if not all) leased Bill

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 17, 2018 at 7:51 PM

Ancient,
    Well well well, who’d have thunk it:
    Ian Toon

Feb 8, 2016 at 9:45 PM

Jail
    Incidentally I am advised to give you a wide berth.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 17, 2018 at 7:52 PM

Out of curiosity I googled Huw Turbervill, thought he might be a made up name but.

Huw Turbervill
    Huw Turbervill has been a sports writer for the Telegraph since 2000. He is the author of cricket books including The Toughest Tour: The Ashes Away Series Since The War.

I do get the DT every Saturday but am not familiar with his name but am a little surprised at him trying to warn off someone on this blog but everyone to his own!

• Rotonda heights

Aug 17, 2018 at 7:52 PM

ed

for once i agree with ash. wouldn’t have wanted to spend 16.5m on a 29 year old rondon with an awful lot still to prove,

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 17, 2018 at 7:57 PM

Jib

Ah, right!
    But the premise is still valid if they are long leases, they could still be worth developing in some way other than shops.

With the slow demise of the High Streets councils might not be adverse to see flats going up and replacing the shops.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 17, 2018 at 7:58 PM

EGB,
    carl aka Ian Toon aka……. is also a big cricket fan, not many people start a post with I am advised either, all just a coincidence. The sad footer.

• Lascelles sells sea shells by the sea shore

Aug 17, 2018 at 7:58 PM

Looks like this blog is gonna be a political platform for cricket enthusiasts… I hope ‘Huw’ ever he is, is just jogging by, briefly passing through?

• A Pain in the Blog

Aug 17, 2018 at 8:00 PM

Oh dear Rotonda. You’ve admitted agreeing with the Dark Lord (@20). Expect the wrath of the blog to descend upon you.

• Jib

Aug 17, 2018 at 8:01 PM

Bill
    Commercial leases tend to be for 7 to 21 years

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 17, 2018 at 8:04 PM

Wonder if the two Murphy’s will figure on the pitch tomorrow at the same time?

Should be interesting if they do.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 17, 2018 at 8:08 PM

Jib

Suppose it depends on who does own the freeholds, if they are becoming High street White Elephants then the owners, be it private or council, might well be happy to sell them off, cheaply!

• Moonraker15

Aug 17, 2018 at 8:13 PM

Rotunda
    16.5 million for Rondon would’ve been a decent buy. If he was 25 you’d be looking at 30 million. Have you been brainwashed like Jibber? This guy will definitely get goals for us and he’s stated he wants stay; trouble is they will be asking 20 million next season or they’ll take him back! Same with Kenedy; should have bought him he’ll be worth 50 million next season. I can’t believe Ashley still doesn’t trust Rafa’s judgement even though he’s made him 40 million profit on transfers since he’s been here! The owner’s fcukin blinkered by listening to his goons!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 17, 2018 at 8:14 PM

Lascelles, nowt wrong with cricket, I’ve enjoyed watching us thrash the Indians.

I see that North Shields (2) and South Shields (1) have taken some of our ex academy players into their ranks and Boro have signed another. Good luck to them i hope they do well.

• Moonraker15

Aug 17, 2018 at 8:16 PM

Jib
    Your mate has bought a fckin white elephant in HoF! Haha “Harrods of the High Street “ what a clown. Hahaha

• Jib

Aug 17, 2018 at 8:22 PM

I think Ashley (he’s not the only one) has a sense
    that the novelty of online buying is starting to wear
    off.

You cannot beat actually browsing a store and trying stuff on.

He may have latched early, on to a sea-change in shopping
    habits.

• A Pain in the Blog

Aug 17, 2018 at 8:22 PM

Essex #26

Twins are renowned for being ultra-competitive with each other so yes, it could be interesting if the two Murphys were to go in for a tackle in an EPL match.

It’s like the old joke – ‘My brother and I often laugh at just how competitive we are with each other. But i always laugh louder’.

• Reilly

Aug 17, 2018 at 8:27 PM

Guess amazon and ebay are fked then.WTF. 😆

• Moonraker15

Aug 17, 2018 at 8:27 PM

Jib
    I see you know fcuk all about the retail trade. Lol

• RobLeenio

Aug 17, 2018 at 8:29 PM

Either there’s a chunk missing from this quote or someone needs to tell Rondon about Tino….

• Jib

Aug 17, 2018 at 8:30 PM

Clearly they are here to stay Reilly
    but
    there is probably enough folk
    especially in clothing for it to
    be well worth his investment

• Jib

Aug 17, 2018 at 8:32 PM

Rob
    It’s probably just a shite translation

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 17, 2018 at 8:32 PM

A Pain in the Blog

And we get the chance to see if we did buy the right one. 🙂

• Jib

Aug 17, 2018 at 8:34 PM

I thought Birmingham got canny crowds
    Shit turn out tonight vs The Swans

• A Pain in the Blog

Aug 17, 2018 at 8:34 PM

Jib #31

The problem with high street retail is that many people do browse and try things on but, on choosing a purchase, they actually go home and buy it online. It’s generally cheaper and they can send it back if they change their mind.

I don’t think that that is going to change soon unless store prices match online prices, which is not easy with the additional overheads.

I don’t know what percentage of SD sales is online but MA has found a profitable balance between online and high street retail which he must believe he can emulate in HoF.