Steven Gerrard Following In Footsteps Of The Master – With Some Success

There’s an excellent article in the Scotsman today on how well Steven Gerrard’s career as a manager has started.

He has solidified the Rangers defense so they are difficult to score goals against and he admits the experience of working with Rafa Benitez at Liverpool has helped him do that.

Steven was the Liverpool captain when Rafa was there from 2004 through 2010 and Liverpool were very successful, reaching the Champions League final twice and winning it in 2005 – the miracle in Istanbul against AC Milan.

3-0 down at halftime and they win the game on penalties with Steven Gerrard playing magnificently in that famous comeback.

Gerrard has only kept one player – captain James Tavernier – the former Newcastle defender, from the back four and goalkeeper of last season and it all seems to be paying off.

Rafa Benitez and Steven Gerrard while both at Liverpool

This is what Steven has said in the Scotsman today – mainly about Rafa Benitez:

“You certainly try to dig into experiences as a player and coaches you worked under. Rafa was the master of defending away in Europe and being hard to play against.”

“Then using the power of Anfield in the home leg,”

“The important thing for me was that teams used to fancy playing against Rangers. Teams would fancy themselves to create and score. For us it was important to make teams fear us.”

“When you came up against Rangers they were hard to beat and organized and had players who were prepared to put their body on the line.”

“I think we have got that at the moment but it is important we continue it.”

“He helped me become a better player tactically.” “When Rafa got me maybe I couldn’t be trusted fully positionally. I maybe had too much energy and would lose my slot at an important time.”

“I had too much enthusiasm to go forward and get goals. It was maybe a bit of ego. But individual performances don’t always get you the right result in Europe.”

“It is about the team, the structure, the organisation.”

“Rafa was a master at it and he improved that side of my game massively.”

“It’s the only way to progress, not just in Europe.”

“Moving forward, if we have any ideas of being successful it’s important that you defend your goal and we’ve got people now in the door who are capable of doing that.”

“Hopefully, we can maybe add one more in that area as well because I do feel we are a little bit light, certainly at the heart of our back four.”

“It was certainly an area I knew when I came in that I had to address and strengthen, to try and build a strong spine through the team and so far defensively we’ve performed very well.”

Some good comments there from Gerrard and it’s great to see him having a decent start to his career as the Rangers manager.

It will be good to see Rangers back to being a power in football north of the border again.

And we should see Rafa Benitez’ ability to organize a defense in Newcastle’s next three league games – Chelsea at home, Manchester City away and Arsenal at home.

🙁

But Robert Kenedy missing the penalty yesterday with the last kick of the game was 2 points dropped for Newcastle in the 0-0 draw.

We will do well if we can limit the goals conceded and pick up some points in our next three games against top six opposition.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player At Cardiff?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Tosun A. Wobbler

Aug 19, 2018 at 12:14 PM

Ozzy @ 103 previous post…yeah, I think you’re right. Similarly with Jonjo, it looked like his long balls were going astray, but it was often a case of runners, not getting through to his passes which they possible would in a more open game. On the other hand a few were a result of not anticipating his passes. Jonjo has “vision and everyone else wears byfocals”

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 19, 2018 at 12:14 PM

Of course A Pain it is…of course!

It’s especially shown with your post #100 on the last thread! But do you know who we can blame?

• Munster Mag

Aug 19, 2018 at 12:16 PM

From what I have seen if Fulham we can discount them as a relegation chance. And shall we start doing a guessing game for mitro’s goals total? I’m going to give him 16 goals

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 19, 2018 at 12:16 PM

…#94 and not #100 it seems

• Moonraker15

Aug 19, 2018 at 12:46 PM

Munster
    16 goals for Mitrovic? Your having a laugh; He won’t get 10!

• Nicky the ball tosser

Aug 19, 2018 at 12:50 PM

Just watched the full ninety and no way were we second best on the day. It was a scrappy hard-fought game, lacking in a bit of quality, while not lacking in effort, and we were clearly the better side in the last thirty, and should of course have won it at the death. Joselu and Diame will be lucky not to lose their spots though, having struggled to make much impact. Manqillo, Hayden and Kenedy out of sorts.

• dig-n-dig22

Aug 19, 2018 at 1:03 PM

Seven of the team that demolished Chelsea last game last season started against Cardiff yesterday. We witnessed yesterday what’s been apparent all through all the preseason there was a couldn’t give a sh1t attitude yet I’ve lost count the amount of times I have read on here this last week how much stronger the team is with the addition of the new signings. I thought it would be obvious to stick Rondon straight in for a battle up front or did Rafa notice what I did against Spurs that Rondon had the pace of a slug, maybe he was just unfit but either way, he will never be an out ball for Shelvey like Gayle was. I posted yesterday when it was confirmed the Jos would start that I didn’t think Rondon would be the answer for us but Rafa should have backed Rondon and started him but if he didn’t and it went tits up then the fans would quickly turn on Rafa and it’s happening, there is something bad ishappening behind the scenes and it needs sorting and quick.

• Pottsclock

Aug 19, 2018 at 1:09 PM

@ Munster – Agree both Fulham and Wolves look fairly competent and they’ve played decent teams. They’ll only get better. I’m hoping for a WHU implosion which is always on the cards…but it’s going to be a long season.
    Hoping for a good thrashing of Hudders today and Brighton

• dig-n-dig22

Aug 19, 2018 at 1:18 PM

Nicky 6
    Just name a few teams we will turn over, home or away with another performance like yesterday “You’re having a laugh”.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Aug 19, 2018 at 1:33 PM

Why do you assume we’ll play like that next week, never mind all season? It was the second game in and we are understandably yet to integrate our best 11 or find our proper rhythm. Players are still getting up to speed. We are far more likely to get appreciably better, starting v Chelsea at home, with two or three changes to the 11, than continue to grind through the gears like that. We were pretty good v Spurs, and we ran around in this one. Decent away point against a scrapping side second weekend of the season.

• Mb1221

Aug 19, 2018 at 7:09 PM

Rangers can’t be a force again because the club died in 2012 when they owed hundreds of millions to the taxman. Sevco are a four year old club